D Manning not our nickel anymore?

nfoligno

Saw this in the Sun Times,

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear27.article

Per the article, DM will no longer be our starting nickel DB. Who will be is speculation at this point, and the article points to two possibilities.

(a) Payne becomes the starting SS, and McGowan (the only other DB w/ nickel experience) becomes our nickel.

(B) Payne becomes our starting SS, and plays nickel when the nickel replaces the SS, rather than the SLB.

Couple thought here.

(1) Does anyone else not raise an eyebrow that we cut RMJ at a time we are not confident in our nickel DB? It was one thing to cut RMJ if the staff felt DM had developed and gave the staff confidence in him, but if he is being demoted, that doesn't appear to be the case. RMJ gets blasted around here, but I always thought he was a solid nickel. He bombed when he was inserted at CB, and became a fan favorite to hate. The defenses very own Rex Grossman. But just because he can't play CB doesn't mean he isn't a good nickel.

(2) I can't see McGowan as our nickel. Watching him play SS, the area I thought he stunk was coverage. He was good enough when attacking the LOS, but anytime he played off, and in coverage, he looked flat out awful IMHO.

(3) Payne may be good, but you have to think his lack of experience will hurt.

(4) While i know there is a difference between nickel and CB, why can't we work one of our backup CBs at the nickel spot?

Saw this in the Sun Times,

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear27.article

Per the article, DM will no longer be our starting nickel DB. Who will be is speculation at this point, and the article points to two possibilities.

(a) Payne becomes the starting SS, and McGowan (the only other DB w/ nickel experience) becomes our nickel.

(B) Payne becomes our starting SS, and plays nickel when the nickel replaces the SS, rather than the SLB.

Couple thought here.

(1) Does anyone else not raise an eyebrow that we cut RMJ at a time we are not confident in our nickel DB? It was one thing to cut RMJ if the staff felt DM had developed and gave the staff confidence in him, but if he is being demoted, that doesn't appear to be the case. RMJ gets blasted around here, but I always thought he was a solid nickel. He bombed when he was inserted at CB, and became a fan favorite to hate. The defenses very own Rex Grossman. But just because he can't play CB doesn't mean he isn't a good nickel.

(2) I can't see McGowan as our nickel. Watching him play SS, the area I thought he stunk was coverage. He was good enough when attacking the LOS, but anytime he played off, and in coverage, he looked flat out awful IMHO.

(3) Payne may be good, but you have to think his lack of experience will hurt.

(4) While i know there is a difference between nickel and CB, why can't we work one of our backup CBs at the nickel spot?

I would rather see McBride or Graham at the nickel. What role is Manning playing now? Will the coaching staff ever stop screwing with this kid?

Another interesting part of this article was the appearance that Miller is playing other teams against the Bears to get more cash. Personally I don't want him back but I can see why they are looking at this. I would not raise the offer to him knowing that he is from here and it would be so much more convenient for him to play here.

Peace :dabears

I would rather see McBride or Graham at the nickel. What role is Manning playing now? Will the coaching staff ever stop screwing with this kid?

I would like to see McBride or Graham work out of the nickel too, but wonder why that doesn't seem part of the plan. I really just am not a fan of our nickel situation right now.

As for "screwing w/ this kid", I think you can look at this from different angles. On one side, you can say the staff continually moves him around, and thus he never has an opportunity to develop. On the other hand, you can say he has been handed the job at various positions, and never done enough to warrant keeping it. Many players dream of getting the chances and opportunities he has. I mean, he was handed a FS job. He was handed a #3 CB spot, and put into the starting lineup after an injury. He was this year handed the nickel spot. We can argue he is moved around too much, but if he sucks everywhere we put him, I am not sure how much we can blame the staff.

Let's give McBride a little more time beofre condemning the man. He was a lower round rookie forced onto an injured bad D last year. Miracles should no be expected.

RMJ does look like he was out best nickel back...but I for one am not unhappy to see him gone. He's a bad character.

D. Manning next spot he should be handed is a spot on the waiver wire. He is horrible. Mcbride is horrible as well. We should have kept RMJ, he was definitely our best nickel IMO.

Agreed on McBride. The kid looked dang good last year, and I doubt even the coaches expected that. He hasn't look good this year, but (a) last years performance should buy him a bit of time and (B) he was a late round pick who is only entering his 2nd season. gotta give these kids time to develop.

Regarding RMJ, has he done anything since joining the bears? Maybe I am missing something, but even the computer incident, didn't that happen before he signed w/ us? Right before, but before? Point is, either way, he hasn't really done anything I can think of (other than that one incident) that questions his character. He has been a pretty good character guy for the bears.

Think the offer sheet was signed or out when the Denny's incidenct was out... My recolection of the timing could be off. I know he looked good the SB year when was playing nickel. I think he had a few highlight picks if not a run-back as well for a td. (But maybe that was me playing Madden...) :P

I can understand where people would be a bit in the mode of being disappointed letting a vet go who has looked good in the past in nickel. But I don't read any warm fuzzies from him or the team about one another. It could just be it's simply time to let him go. He came in wanting to be #1, and never proved it. Time to move on...

Agreed on McBride. The kid looked dang good last year, and I doubt even the coaches expected that. He hasn't look good this year, but (a) last years performance should buy him a bit of time and (B) he was a late round pick who is only entering his 2nd season. gotta give these kids time to develop.

Regarding RMJ, has he done anything since joining the bears? Maybe I am missing something, but even the computer incident, didn't that happen before he signed w/ us? Right before, but before? Point is, either way, he hasn't really done anything I can think of (other than that one incident) that questions his character. He has been a pretty good character guy for the bears.

Think the offer sheet was signed or out when the Denny's incidenct was out... My recolection of the timing could be off.

Basically we made the offer and the Panthers had some time, I believe two weeks, to match. The incident either took place after our offer or the press about it did. I can't recall. Whichever, the Bears didn't know about it when they made their offer and they weren't allowed to change it afterwards. The Panthers didn't match.

He's been a solid citizens since he joined us although not such a good football player.

Yeah, that sounds about right to my reconlection.

I had only heard of the Denny's incident... Nothing after.

Basically we made the offer and the Panthers had some time, I believe two weeks, to match. The incident either took place after our offer or the press about it did. I can't recall. Whichever, the Bears didn't know about it when they made their offer and they weren't allowed to change it afterwards. The Panthers didn't match.

He's been a solid citizens since he joined us although not such a good football player.

D. Manning next spot he should be handed is a spot on the waiver wire. He is horrible. Mcbride is horrible as well. We should have kept RMJ, he was definitely our best nickel IMO.

2.jpg

"I disagree."

Think the offer sheet was signed or out when the Denny's incidenct was out... My recolection of the timing could be off. I know he looked good the SB year when was playing nickel. I think he had a few highlight picks if not a run-back as well for a td. (But maybe that was me playing Madden...) :P

I can understand where people would be a bit in the mode of being disappointed letting a vet go who has looked good in the past in nickel. But I don't read any warm fuzzies from him or the team about one another. It could just be it's simply time to let him go. He came in wanting to be #1, and never proved it. Time to move on...

I think the lack of warm and fuzzies was about his situation w/ the team. He said he would speak w/ the coaches, who will tell him he was part of the plans, and then he would not see the field. He talked about how undrafted rookies were getting action in practice, and he could only watch. He said it was frustrating because he simply was never allowed an opportunity to do anything.

People can say what they will, but I really question this, particularly in combo w/ the demotion of DM. If DM was really stepping up, fine. But right now, we simply do not have a nickel. We have (once again) a group of young players we hope can step up, and we have cut a veteran who may not have been great, but was a far better safety net.

This just screams of our letting Harris go last year.

I think the lack of warm and fuzzies was about his situation w/ the team. He said he would speak w/ the coaches, who will tell him he was part of the plans, and then he would not see the field. He talked about how undrafted rookies were getting action in practice, and he could only watch. He said it was frustrating because he simply was never allowed an opportunity to do anything.

Agreed. At first I thought we were trying to light a fire under RMJ's ass. But apparantly we weren't messing around (did we even save any cap room by dumping him???)

Heck, I thought moving D Manning to nickel would work out nice since he figures to be a huge special team's contributor. That way he doesn't need to be on the field all the time.

Last year when we traded Chris Harris, my response was that we knew what we were doing. Wow.

What the hell are we doing?

Guest TerraTor

I would like to see McBride or Graham work out of the nickel too, but wonder why that doesn't seem part of the plan. I really just am not a fan of our nickel situation right now.

As for "screwing w/ this kid", I think you can look at this from different angles. On one side, you can say the staff continually moves him around, and thus he never has an opportunity to develop. On the other hand, you can say he has been handed the job at various positions, and never done enough to warrant keeping it. Many players dream of getting the chances and opportunities he has. I mean, he was handed a FS job. He was handed a #3 CB spot, and put into the starting lineup after an injury. He was this year handed the nickel spot. We can argue he is moved around too much, but if he sucks everywhere we put him, I am not sure how much we can blame the staff.

good call, hes fuckin terrible..cant cover anyone, cant tackle, what else is asked of a d-back- dump his ass

I say let graham be the nickel, he's shown promise this offseason. let mcbride and bowman fight it out for the back-up duty to him. If vasher or tillman gets hurt, then graham moves up and the winner of mcbride and bowman takes over nickel responsiblity. Keep the Safety spot set with M Brown at FS backed up by Steltz, and Mcgowan and Payne fighting it out for the SS spot. This obviously leaves D. Manning out of the picture and I would not be surprised if he is cut after this year. He just shows a complete lack of coverage skills, and speed isn't everything see Mike Brown for that point to be made.

Who is the odd man out?

From what I've seen reviewing the first three games is that DManning hasn't been that bad in the nickel spot. Not nearly like he was as a FS. McGowan hasn't played well at all in coverage appearing totally lost at times. Payne has better speed than him and has played at least as well as him if not better. His arrow is pointing up so he gets the nod to start at SS.

Nickel DB should go to Graham. He's done well all throughout the offseason and training camp. He filled in a lot for Tillman at CB and held up well. He deserves to be our Nickel DB. I view giving him more game experience will only make him better if he's called upon to replace Vasher or Tillman.

McBride did well in coverage last year but was terrible in run support. He hasn't looked good so far this training camp but he gets a pass for showing up last year. He will not be the #4 CB, instead it's the bigger Bowman who gets the call.

At the bottom of the roster the Bears could keep DManning as a backup S. He could also fill in as the nickel DB if needed letting the other guys stay outside and he can also be our #4 safety. It seems many don't want to hear that but I think it's a real possibility. The guy who can't master any position ends up being decent enough at several positions to stick around.

That means the odd man out is Craig Steltz who the Bears try to place on the practice squad. In any action I've seen Steltz hasn't looked good at all. He's slow, late in pass coverage, and doesn't tackle downhill like you want from a safety. We can try to give him a year on the practice squad to see if he can bulk up and learn the system better.

STARTERS: FS Mike Brown SS Kevin Payne backups Brandon McGowan DManning

CB Tillman, Vasher NB Graham backups Bowman, McBride

Who is the odd man out?

From what I've seen reviewing the first three games is that DManning hasn't been that bad in the nickel spot. Not nearly like he was as a FS. McGowan hasn't played well at all in coverage appearing totally lost at times. Payne has better speed than him and has played at least as well as him if not better. His arrow is pointing up so he gets the nod to start at SS.

Nickel DB should go to Graham. He's done well all throughout the offseason and training camp. He filled in a lot for Tillman at CB and held up well. He deserves to be our Nickel DB. I view giving him more game experience will only make him better if he's called upon to replace Vasher or Tillman.

McBride did well in coverage last year but was terrible in run support. He hasn't looked good so far this training camp but he gets a pass for showing up last year. He will not be the #4 CB, instead it's the bigger Bowman who gets the call.

At the bottom of the roster the Bears could keep DManning as a backup S. He could also fill in as the nickel DB if needed letting the other guys stay outside and he can also be our #4 safety. It seems many don't want to hear that but I think it's a real possibility. The guy who can't master any position ends up being decent enough at several positions to stick around.

That means the odd man out is Craig Steltz who the Bears try to place on the practice squad. In any action I've seen Steltz hasn't looked good at all. He's slow, late in pass coverage, and doesn't tackle downhill like you want from a safety. We can try to give him a year on the practice squad to see if he can bulk up and learn the system better.

waiving steltz and putting him on the ps won't happen and that would be really stupid. He has shown more promise than bowman at this point. Like I said manning has this year, and if he ends up playing and showing he has progressed, which I think is unlikely, he may stay. If not there is no room for a back-up kick returner who blows coverage. Waiving steltz to put him on ps would only set him free to be taken by a different team. Just like monk did. No way they do that especially with the health of mike brown. Sorry but I hold NO FAITH in mcgowan or payne, so the more prospects we have at safety is a plus given browns injury history. Manning has not lived up to the billing of a player drafted in the second rd, just like bazuin thus far.

I'm wondering as well, if we don't keep Steltz around for the injury factor. Brown and McGowan have been very injury prone. Add to that, Payne is coming off of a big injury. As bad as it may sound, we may end up starting Steltz and Manning, as a tandem, at some point this year.

So, it brings up the question of who gets cut? Mannelly? AP? Toeaina? Bazuin?

Mannelly is an intrigal of the best ST unit in the league = no room for mistakes = he stays

Peterson is relegated to special teams if the emergence of Kevin Jones continues = if someone else steps up on special teams he could be gone, but I highly doubt it. (This year should be his swan song though)

Toeaina is the best run stuffer we have at a position that needed depth last year = problem is Idonije has looked good here as well = I think he stays (see next)

Bazuin needs to shine tonight or he will be IR'd or cut. I'd go with IR since he is yet to be fully recovered from his two surguries. Regardless, I don't see him on the active roster making Idonije the 4th DE which will good for short yardage situations given his bulk.

I do follow...

But I think Harris was light years better than RMJ. I think they are sticking with Daniel because he was drafted high and still hope he can turn into something good. I'm still willing to give him some more time... But I've not been pleased ads many here feel the same if not more so.

People can say what they will, but I really question this, particularly in combo w/ the demotion of DM. If DM was really stepping up, fine. But right now, we simply do not have a nickel. We have (once again) a group of young players we hope can step up, and we have cut a veteran who may not have been great, but was a far better safety net.

Just trust Lovie. ;)

NOT!

Agreed. At first I thought we were trying to light a fire under RMJ's ass. But apparantly we weren't messing around (did we even save any cap room by dumping him???)

Heck, I thought moving D Manning to nickel would work out nice since he figures to be a huge special team's contributor. That way he doesn't need to be on the field all the time.

Last year when we traded Chris Harris, my response was that we knew what we were doing. Wow.

What the hell are we doing?

I do follow...

But I think Harris was light years better than RMJ. I think they are sticking with Daniel because he was drafted high and still hope he can turn into something good. I'm still willing to give him some more time... But I've not been pleased ads many here feel the same if not more so.

But the kicker is DMs demotion, which was said by DM himself. W/ 24 hours of our releasing RMJ, DM tells the media he is being demoted.

As I said before, if the staff liked what they say in DM, and felt he was going to be able to secure the nickel slot, it would make a bit more sense. I would be skeptical of DM, but at least understand the logic. But that isn't the case. They determined DM could not handle the nickel role, and yet still choose to release RMJ. Now we don't even know who our nickel will be, but the expectation is McGowan or Payne, neither of which I think are better than RMJ.

No way I see us cutting Steltz. He has done nothing to earn his roster spot, but was a high enough pick, and one the staff said they envisioned as a starter. Further, he is our backup FS. I think the team is looking to groom him as Brown's replacement, and thus will be more patient w/ him this year. No way he would make it to our PS. Its one thing when you are talking about 7th round picks, but he was a higher graded prospect, and another team would be far more likely to pick him up if we made him available.

DM may not have been "that bad" at nickel, but from his own mouth, he has been demoted and is no longer our nickel DB. So, he has failed at FS, CB and nickel. He was also talked about at SS for this year, but maybe due to what the staff saw in practice, never got too much of a look there. So at the end of the day, we have an athletic kid who simply doesn't have a position, and has failed to impress at any position the staff has tried him. Blame the staff if you choose, but does it matter? In the staff's eyes, he hasn't gotten it done at any position he has been tried at. If he were not a high pick, would he be on the team?

IMHO, the players who have done little to nothing to warrant a roster spot are: DM, Steltz and Bowman. At the same time however, all are high enough draft picks that I have a hard time seeing the staff cut lose. I think you also factor (a) Brown is likely in his last year as a bear and (B) we are totally unsettled at SS. Thus, I think we could keep all of our DBs discussed, and cut lose a DL or even LB.

Final point. We use our DBs a lot of teams, as we prioritize speed and getting downfield over power. Thus, your 9th DB is more likely to see the field than your 9th DL.

Who is the odd man out?

Bazuin needs to shine tonight or he will be IR'd or cut. I'd go with IR since he is yet to be fully recovered from his two surguries. Regardless, I don't see him on the active roster making Idonije the 4th DE which will good for short yardage situations given his bulk.

I think he is cut. I don't think he would go along w/ the IR, as he may believe he has a better shot picking up w/ a team's active roster elsewhere.

I think Toeina is gone. I disagree he is our best run stuffer. I think Adams is our most proven run stuffer. Also, Dusty is healthy now, and that is an area he excels, and we just drafted Harrison, who also is expected to be a solid run stuffer.

Here is how i look at it.

Wale, Brown and Anderson are locks at DE. Harris, Dusty, Harrison, Adams are locks at DT. Then there is Idonije, who has been one of our most impressive players in camp and preseason. Due to his versatility, he provides us both a 4th DE and a 5th DT. So he allows us to keep 8 DL, and thus one more roster spot at another position.

Toeina could be moved to the PS. He doesn't have enough regular season games to hurt his eligibility, and I am not sure he has shown so much to the league to be stolen. Bazuin, and the rookie DE from the year, simply haven't shown enough to be kept.

But I just read that DM is the nickel back...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-08...0,7025308.story

chicagotribune.com

Lovie Smith banks on Danieal Manning at nickel back

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune reporter

August 28, 2008

If the Bears intend to end their experiment with Danieal Manning at nickel back, coach Lovie Smith didn't get the memo. He seems adamant Manning will remain in that role, contrary to reports.

"Danieal has received reps at only one position this entire year, and that's nickel," Smith said earlier this week. "Once we get in a game, could he be an emergency safety? Yes, he could. But he's playing nickel and that's where he's going to be."

In other words, expect Manning to be the first extra defensive back on the field in Thursday night's exhibition finale at Cleveland. The Bears plan to rest their starters, but getting Manning as many reps at possible in game situations will help him when the regular season opens.

The Bears released Ricky Manning Jr., who had the position last season. Brandon McGowan and undrafted rookie free agent Trey Brown have been the only other players getting looks there.

Manning Jr. expects his cousin Manning to find a comfort zone at the position.

"Danieal is coming along," Manning Jr. said. "The nickel spot takes a long time. I played it ever since I was rookie. It just takes awhile."

But the kicker is DMs demotion, which was said by DM himself. W/ 24 hours of our releasing RMJ, DM tells the media he is being demoted.

As I said before, if the staff liked what they say in DM, and felt he was going to be able to secure the nickel slot, it would make a bit more sense. I would be skeptical of DM, but at least understand the logic. But that isn't the case. They determined DM could not handle the nickel role, and yet still choose to release RMJ. Now we don't even know who our nickel will be, but the expectation is McGowan or Payne, neither of which I think are better than RMJ.

Um, where in that article does it say DM is our #1 nickel, or starting nickel? IMHO, if DM is a backup nickel, then nothing in the below article would be a lie, would it?

If it was just some reporters speculation, that would be one thing, but DM seemed to open the door w/ his own comments,

Danieal Manning made it known change is in the air when he was asked about the departure of Ricky Manning Jr., the former nickel back.

"Right now they are moving some stuff around,'' Danieal Manning said. ``They said they are going to try something different. Some stuff might change.''

You can read in to it different ways, but DM was asked about the nickel position, and indicated he was informed of changes the staff is looking to make. That could mean his backup, or any number of things, but I think there is a very legit reason to believe DM is not our primary nickel back.

But I just read that DM is the nickel back...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-08...0,7025308.story

chicagotribune.com

Lovie Smith banks on Danieal Manning at nickel back

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune reporter

August 28, 2008

If the Bears intend to end their experiment with Danieal Manning at nickel back, coach Lovie Smith didn't get the memo. He seems adamant Manning will remain in that role, contrary to reports.

"Danieal has received reps at only one position this entire year, and that's nickel," Smith said earlier this week. "Once we get in a game, could he be an emergency safety? Yes, he could. But he's playing nickel and that's where he's going to be."

In other words, expect Manning to be the first extra defensive back on the field in Thursday night's exhibition finale at Cleveland. The Bears plan to rest their starters, but getting Manning as many reps at possible in game situations will help him when the regular season opens.

The Bears released Ricky Manning Jr., who had the position last season. Brandon McGowan and undrafted rookie free agent Trey Brown have been the only other players getting looks there.

Manning Jr. expects his cousin Manning to find a comfort zone at the position.

"Danieal is coming along," Manning Jr. said. "The nickel spot takes a long time. I played it ever since I was rookie. It just takes awhile."

You're right. I don't see any specific languange. I think I just read into it too much.

Um, where in that article does it say DM is our #1 nickel, or starting nickel? IMHO, if DM is a backup nickel, then nothing in the below article would be a lie, would it?

If it was just some reporters speculation, that would be one thing, but DM seemed to open the door w/ his own comments,

Danieal Manning made it known change is in the air when he was asked about the departure of Ricky Manning Jr., the former nickel back.

"Right now they are moving some stuff around,'' Danieal Manning said. ``They said they are going to try something different. Some stuff might change.''

You can read in to it different ways, but DM was asked about the nickel position, and indicated he was informed of changes the staff is looking to make. That could mean his backup, or any number of things, but I think there is a very legit reason to believe DM is not our primary nickel back.