I hope this is playing possum

Guest TerraTor

Sorry, but I am simply not a huge college football fan. I follow college mostly for the NFL draft. I don't get too interested in players who are before they appear ready to enter the league. Texas colleges would be the exception (and Notre Dame) as I can't help but to follow them.

He is the Road Warrior Animal's son

OK, let me play some scenarios out for you...

Laurinaitis becomes a potential pick if (and keep in mind, there are a lot of "if's" involved)

1. The Bers tank the season, becasue he is going high on the board.

2. Urlacher shows signs of breaking down...or Briggs similarly.

3. And/or, there are no other clear cut beter players at the OL or QB or WR.

Also, you make mention of LB depth...I personally do not see that depth, can you expound?

We have only 2 real studs in Url and Briggs. Hunter is servicable, but not great. Who exactly is backing them up that you are so confident in?

Not to knock the kid, but I will be sick if we draft a LB. Urlacher may be on the decline, but we have depth at LB. On the other hand, we have an offense in dire need of immediate starters.

Wow! I can't believe you weren't aware of him! He was actually touted this year as a top pick, but chose to go for his senior year. He'll be coming out of college a very solid prospect...

Sorry, but I am simply not a huge college football fan. I follow college mostly for the NFL draft. I don't get too interested in players who are before they appear ready to enter the league. Texas colleges would be the exception (and Notre Dame) as I can't help but to follow them.

OK, let me play some scenarios out for you...

Laurinaitis becomes a potential pick if (and keep in mind, there are a lot of "if's" involved)

1. The Bers tank the season, becasue he is going high on the board.

Also, you make mention of LB depth...I personally do not see that depth, can you expound?

We have only 2 real studs in Url and Briggs. Hunter is servicable, but not great. Who exactly is backing them up that you are so confident in?

There is no linebacker depth, however, we need to continue to address offense in the first round.

Okay, I'll play along. What if Urlacher breaks down. Not sure I go along w/ the same thinking w/ Briggs, as he has shown no signs of such, and thus the what if seems like a reach. I still would not draft a LB in the 1st.

(a) If you take Urlacher out of the D, it may not be as great, but it is still loaded w/ pro bowl and all-pro talent. Offense is not even loaded w/ starters.

(B) One of the few things Angelo has shown an ability to do is find defensive talent in the draft, particularly after the 1st round. I trust Angelo to use later picks to replace Urlacher more than I trust him to improve the offense w/ later draft picks.

© It may not have always been true, but I think LBs are more plentiful and less expensive in FA than OL, WR or QB. Even OGs are getting ridiculously expensive in FA. WRs and QBs always were. LBs however is a position I think you can still find solid bargains in FA.

None? No OT, OG, QB or WR rated close? If we have a guy at one of those positions w/in a couple slots of where we grade the LB, I go w/ the others. I find it hard to believe there would be nothing even close. But lets say for a moment that is true. Well, if he is the sure thing stud you believe, then we would be in a great position to trade down.

Jamal Williams? He is a player who seems loaded w/ potential, but simply lacking an opportunity. Its one thing when you have a reserve player who can't beat out an average starter, but can we fault Williams for not beating out Briggs?

We have tried it already buy building an elite D, w/o building an offense. It hasn't worked. I think we have to work very hard now trying to build the offense. Even if you take Urlacher out of the picture, we still have a defense loaded w/ studs, and locked up w/ long term deals. On offense, we are not even loaded w/ solid starters, much less studs, much less w/ them locked up long term. I simply see little logic to drafting a defensive player next year over an offensive player.

I can rattle off Dick Butkus' stats too. As they are also historical numbers.

I need to see Brian play at a good level this season. His surgery isn't a guarantee that he'll be the same old Brian. I saw nothing of that "Brian" in pre-season... I sure hope I see the old Urlacher in the regular season!

It's pure speculation... One that I don't want to see, but one that I'd be remiss in not considering as a possibility.

123 tackles, 5 ints and 5 sacks is on the decline?

123 tackles, 5 ints and 5 sacks is on the decline?

I say that based on age and injuries. That doesn't mean his play is really on the decline, but he is at an age where I think it valid to begin expecting such. Further, w/ the injury he suffered last year, I think it fair to debate a potential decline as well.

Hey, I am saying I would not draft a LB. I am saying that even IF Urlacher goes down, I would not do it. Urlacher very well may have several years of stud play remaining, but (a) I understand the logic in a potential decline and (B) I still would not spend a high 1st round pick to replace him.

Wow! I can't believe you weren't aware of him! He was actually touted this year as a top pick, but chose to go for his senior year. He'll be coming out of college a very solid prospect...

He plays a position I had zero interest in, and thus glossed over in the draft. I was not as aware of many CBs as well, as I simply didn't see us considering them. I may well have read his name 100 times, but it didn't stick as he simply wasn't a player I viewed as a legit prospect for my team.

What do you see being our strong point this year?

What do you see being our weak point this year?

After watching the first 2 or 3 weeks of games - games that count, games that have game plans established, games that have all our starters starting, then ask me and I will be more than happy to give you my opinion. Right now, no one knows for sure what this team is capable or not capable of on the basis of meaningless preseason games used to audition rookies and experiment with different plays and formations. No one knows. We are all guessing.

He plays a position I had zero interest in, and thus glossed over in the draft. I was not as aware of many CBs as well, as I simply didn't see us considering them. I may well have read his name 100 times, but it didn't stick as he simply wasn't a player I viewed as a legit prospect for my team.

I wouldnt go with linebacker either. Especially in the first round. Even if we lack depth a little we still have two all pros and a very solid HH. We have nothing but crap on offense. We still need a tackle, 2 guards and a legit number one WR. Not to mention a QB...

I wouldnt go with linebacker either. Especially in the first round. Even if we lack depth a little we still have two all pros and a very solid HH. We have nothing but crap on offense. We still need a tackle, 2 guards and a legit number one WR. Not to mention a QB...

Then...

With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Matthew Stafford, Georgia. :headbang

Then in the 2nd round, we can go with WR, and in the 3rd, an OG or OT.

Does anybody know how many picks we have in the draft?

Then...

With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Matthew Stafford, Georgia. :headbang

Then in the 2nd round, we can go with WR, and in the 3rd, an OG or OT.

Does anybody know how many picks we have in the draft?

If we go skill position in the first I think we would need to go o line, o line following. No matter how many skill guys we get they wont be able to do anything with no line.

All I got from Wiki is an extra 6th rounder for Griese so far

Then:

QB

WR

OG

OT

WR

S

RB

OT

That would be fine with me. Although, this:

OT

QB

WR

OG

WR

S

RB

OT

wouldn't be bad, either, but I'm guessing JA will hesistate taking another OT in the first round, yet alone with a top 5 or top 3 pick.

I just disagree on your depth analysis...

1. Jamal might be a good back-up but he is no Urlacher..

2. Is Briggs only successful because of Url? Has that question been truly answered?

Okay, I'll play along. What if Urlacher breaks down. Not sure I go along w/ the same thinking w/ Briggs, as he has shown no signs of such, and thus the what if seems like a reach. I still would not draft a LB in the 1st.

(a) If you take Urlacher out of the D, it may not be as great, but it is still loaded w/ pro bowl and all-pro talent. Offense is not even loaded w/ starters.

(B) One of the few things Angelo has shown an ability to do is find defensive talent in the draft, particularly after the 1st round. I trust Angelo to use later picks to replace Urlacher more than I trust him to improve the offense w/ later draft picks.

© It may not have always been true, but I think LBs are more plentiful and less expensive in FA than OL, WR or QB. Even OGs are getting ridiculously expensive in FA. WRs and QBs always were. LBs however is a position I think you can still find solid bargains in FA.

None? No OT, OG, QB or WR rated close? If we have a guy at one of those positions w/in a couple slots of where we grade the LB, I go w/ the others. I find it hard to believe there would be nothing even close. But lets say for a moment that is true. Well, if he is the sure thing stud you believe, then we would be in a great position to trade down.

Jamal Williams? He is a player who seems loaded w/ potential, but simply lacking an opportunity. Its one thing when you have a reserve player who can't beat out an average starter, but can we fault Williams for not beating out Briggs?

We have tried it already buy building an elite D, w/o building an offense. It hasn't worked. I think we have to work very hard now trying to build the offense. Even if you take Urlacher out of the picture, we still have a defense loaded w/ studs, and locked up w/ long term deals. On offense, we are not even loaded w/ solid starters, much less studs, much less w/ them locked up long term. I simply see little logic to drafting a defensive player next year over an offensive player.

I just disagree on your depth analysis...

1. Jamal might be a good back-up but he is no Urlacher..

2. Is Briggs only successful because of Url? Has that question been truly answered?

Okay fine. Still doesn't counter my main points that LBs are an easier/less expensive to replace than OL, WR or QB, and that Angelo is more likely to find a LB later in the draft than an offensive player.

Good ones are easy to come by, sure. great ones are not.

Well, we have two great LBs. So?

We have tried it this way already. Is this guy better than Urlacher? If not, how is he going to win us a SB? Sorry, but time to change plans. Time to draft offense. Find a QB. Find OL. Find WR. Whatever. We tried it w/ defense, and it didn't happen. Now its time to build an offense.

We do? I'm certian we can say it about Urlacher...but I think isn't there some question still on whether Briggs is truly elite or elite because who he plays along side? I recall many here questioning exactly that when he tested the free market, and thus got a deal that wasn't so elite after all.

But besides that...my premise is based on building for the future if injury/etc happen to the 2 we have. And if there is not top tier talent at those offensive slots you mention, passing on a guy of this calibur I think would be a mistake. Again, it's predicated on (for lack of a better example) that Laurinaitis is Merriman, and your OL choice is Mandrich, your WR choice is Mike Williams, your QB choise is Rex, etc... I'm talking BPA...with an assumption that Laurinaitis would be the BPA.

I think you're taking this far too seriously... The draft hasn't begun and we don't have a clear cut top ten list, nor do we know where we are drafting. So until then, I like Laurinaitis.

Well, we have two great LBs. So?

We have tried it this way already. Is this guy better than Urlacher? If not, how is he going to win us a SB? Sorry, but time to change plans. Time to draft offense. Find a QB. Find OL. Find WR. Whatever. We tried it w/ defense, and it didn't happen. Now its time to build an offense.