Got to give the staff credit

Connorbear

I give both coordinators credit for solid game plans and for sticking with them.
That was the best game Ron Turner ever called. One thing I would like to see is our LB's coming more freely on blitzes. It seems like they always telegraph or get picked up. I do like how they were up in the box all night faking and moving back. Manning had very little time all night. I think mostly 3 step drops.

That was the best game Ron Turner ever called. One thing I would like to see is our LB's coming more freely on blitzes. It seems like they always telegraph or get picked up. I do like how they were up in the box all night faking and moving back. Manning had very little time all night. I think mostly 3 step drops.

Funny you said that about turner, I was thinking the same thing .. then I thought what if it was not turner all along and Rex not executing the game plan at all, always looking for the big play. It seems to me that Turner will open things up a bit more every game ala Kramer. Kramer looked outstanding in the Turner concept offense. Now Orton maybe had to pass a test so to speak. But I noticed through out that game that Orton was audibling on most every snap dependent on the defensive setup and may have played safer then just going for it. Either way the choice was good for either one. Have to love it.

Funny you said that about turner, I was thinking the same thing .. then I thought what if it was not turner all along and Rex not executing the game plan at all, always looking for the big play. It seems to me that Turner will open things up a bit more every game ala Kramer. Kramer looked outstanding in the Turner concept offense. Now Orton maybe had to pass a test so to speak. But I noticed through out that game that Orton was audibling on most every snap dependent on the defensive setup and may have played safer then just going for it. Either way the choice was good for either one. Have to love it.

IMO, Orton needs to show self-control, ball protection, and sound decision making for a number of games before Turner opens things up on him. After the five year Rexperiment (where overcoming just those three issues would have made him a QB most teams would love to have), let's not overlook the big picture here and or get impatient...let's develop Orton right.

Turner v Rex is something I wondered too. I think it is a bit of both.

For example, in defense of Turner, we have tried to run RB screens in the past, but they simply have failed miserably. Rex simply is awful throwing of his backfoot, which you often see on these screens. Rex just never did a good job setting up the screen, and it failed. Not just do to Rex, as Benson was also part of the problem, but the point is, personnel hurt our ability to run the screen in the past.

But I would point to another example which I think goes against Turner. All last year I screamed for 2 TE sets. Our WRs were simply nothing special (not even Berrian, who lacked any level of consistency). On the other hand, Clark was very solid, and Olsen is simply a constant matchup problem for defenses. Yet how often did we see 2 TE sets last year? More to the point, how often did we pass the ball when we did see that formation?

Against Indy the other night, I saw a ton of 2 TE formations, and it seemed like most of our good pass plays came out of this formation.

So while I think personnel did hold Turner back in some regards, I also still believe Turner did not do enough to help the offense in the past.

Turner v Rex is something I wondered too. I think it is a bit of both.

For example, in defense of Turner, we have tried to run RB screens in the past, but they simply have failed miserably. Rex simply is awful throwing of his backfoot, which you often see on these screens. Rex just never did a good job setting up the screen, and it failed. Not just do to Rex, as Benson was also part of the problem, but the point is, personnel hurt our ability to run the screen in the past.

But I would point to another example which I think goes against Turner. All last year I screamed for 2 TE sets. Our WRs were simply nothing special (not even Berrian, who lacked any level of consistency). On the other hand, Clark was very solid, and Olsen is simply a constant matchup problem for defenses. Yet how often did we see 2 TE sets last year? More to the point, how often did we pass the ball when we did see that formation?

Against Indy the other night, I saw a ton of 2 TE formations, and it seemed like most of our good pass plays came out of this formation.

So while I think personnel did hold Turner back in some regards, I also still believe Turner did not do enough to help the offense in the past.

Agreed. It's somewhat aggravating to see it working so well now knowing we should have been doing it all along. Hey, better late than never. But, and I say this with the highest of hopes, they ALL need to follow the Indy victory up with an equal game plan for Carolina. That front four could cause big problems but I think we can get alot of mismatches.

Re: Carolina.

Agreed they will be a bit tougher, at least for our offense. I have always felt Indy's D was over-rated, and at least part of their success was in Manning and Co building a lead and making opponents one dimensional, which allowed Freeney and Co to tee off. Carolina though has a DL which can stuff the run and get to the passer. I think once again our TE will be key.

On the other side of the ball, we simply need to stop the run. W/o Steve Smith, their passing attack should not be feared. Delhomme is solid, but w/o weapons. Their offense is in their RB duo (Williams/Stewart) which has looked very good. Stop those two and you stop Carolina.

Agreed. It's somewhat aggravating to see it working so well now knowing we should have been doing it all along. Hey, better late than never. But, and I say this with the highest of hopes, they ALL need to follow the Indy victory up with an equal game plan for Carolina. That front four could cause big problems but I think we can get alot of mismatches.