Visiting Chicago!

clnr

I'm gonna spend five days in Chicago during this and next week and need some help on what to do.

Most important: I need to find myself a good sports bar for the Bears game Sunday! I'll be staying downtown close to the Millenium Park. Any recommendations?

Best way to get downtown from the airport? Taxi or are there any kind of bus or train?

I will be buying jerseys! Any recommendation of sports stores that are affordable or having a great selection? Or is the official store the way to go?

Good bars and restaurants that are affordable! I need to try polish sausages and pizza, but where?

I enjoy music a lot. Indiepop, metal, punkrock, jazz you name it! Any recommendations here? Any website with schedules or similar?

General advice! Where to go! Where to NOT go! Best way to move around the town without a car?

Thanks!

:bringit

:dabears

I'm gonna spend five days in Chicago during this and next week and need some help on what to do.

Most important: I need to find myself a good sports bar for the Bears game Sunday! I'll be staying downtown close to the Millenium Park. Any recommendations?

Best way to get downtown from the airport? Taxi or are there any kind of bus or train?

I will be buying jerseys! Any recommendation of sports stores that are affordable or having a great selection? Or is the official store the way to go?

Good bars and restaurants that are affordable! I need to try polish sausages and pizza, but where?

I enjoy music a lot. Indiepop, metal, punkrock, jazz you name it! Any recommendations here? Any website with schedules or similar?

General advice! Where to go! Where to NOT go! Best way to move around the town without a car?

Thanks!

As far as where to eat. A couple of years ago I was there with my family and went to "Ditka's" at the edge of downtown. Saw the ad for it in Sports Illustrated. The menu caters to those that want to spend a lot and those that don't. Really good food and cool Bears memorabilia. I think it also has a cigar bar in the upstairs, unless I was mistaken. My wife bought me a hoodie sweatshirt from there and I am always getting complimented on it. Anyhow, also recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo if you have family with you. It is free and actually really cool. Strongly recommend it if you have some time.

I've tried to include links for you wherever possible. Enjoy!

This is right in the area: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kitty-o-sheas-chicago I've always had a good time there but yuo'll see a few bad reviews at yelp so consider that before you commit.

Within walking distance is Harry Carays. They have great food and a bar were you can catch the game.

From O'Hare, use the train. If you're going downtown it makes complete sense and will save you a lot of money.

Downtown the food is all going to be a bit pricey. You can get a great Italian Beef at Luke's in the west part of the loop. Try the Combo which adds an Italian Sausage to an Italian beef. Add giardinare for a little spice!

For dinner one night, although it runs $50 a head for adults, try Fogo de Chao. One of my favorite restaurants. I also like Italian Village.

On a clear day head to the top of the Hancock Building. I like it better than the view from the Sears Tower.

You can get anywhere downtown in a cab or by walking. I've not recommended anywhere outside the loop so if you don't head anywhere too distant, renting a car won't be necessary. If you get near Wrigley Field, check out Yak-Zies for a great burger and other "finer" foods.

All the best!

I think most the posters already hit up the best spots!

But YOU MUST GO TO DITKA'S! Lunch is very reasonable, and dinner's not bad. It's also a fun place to watch the Bears game. But make sure you go there! You can eat high on the hog, or on the cheap there. From the paddle steak to the Frisge Burger...it's all good! And the pot roast nachos are king!

Everyone's already mentioned all the good pizza/dog spots...

For musci go to B.L.U.E.S. It's right nea the famous Kingston Mines, and isn't as trendy. Not that Kingston's bad! I saw Buddy Guy there years ago and blew me away! There is a pretty good indutrial.metal scene, but since I've been far removed, I'm sure it's changed.

Other places to check out...

Lincoln Park Zoo. It's free!

Wrigley Field. Even if your'e a Sox fan, it's a historic park and lots to do/eat/drink nearby.

Macy's downtown. Ask where the old Marshall Field's is. It's an old historic dept store. If you show your out of town ID to the concierge, you get freebies like a drink or discounts. Good if you're travelling with a lady...

Sears Tower. It costs a bit now...but it's the tallest bldg in the US and the view is crazy!

My personal favorites for eats are Gibsons for steaks (pricey) and Palermos' for thin crust pizza (but most those are in the burbs.) But go to DITKA's! You won't be sorry!

Thanks!

I've never seen a bad blues show there! Usually a really old bluesman you've never heard of that just makes you want to knock down bourbon like it's going out of style!

Really wanted to go to B.L.U.E.S. when I was over, couldn't make it. next time.

Shame the old boards gone, there was a good bit of info in a thread when I asked the same question

I can't recall the name for the life of me...but there's a little sports shop right accross the street from the melenium dome close to the river that has a TON of stuff at decent prices. Anyone recall what it is?

There are 4 Sports Authorities that may have jerseys. They are on: North Clark, North LaSalle, and 2 on Fullerton.