Frerotte replaces Jackson as Vikings quarterback

'TD'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080917/sp_nm/nfl_vikings_dc_1

Frerotte replaces Jackson as Vikings quarterback

1 hour, 24 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The winless Minnesota Vikings will replace quarterback Tarvaris Jackson with veteran Gus Frerotte in the hope of jump-starting a stagnant passing game, coach Brad Childress said Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota opened the season as leading contenders to win the NFC North but have stumbled with losses to Green Bay and Indianapolis.

"I feel like we have an opportunity here that I don't want to let pass by," Childress told reporters.

"Obviously we have a chance to have a successful season and so we don't let things potentially slip away... I'm going to make a change at quarterback."

Jackson, in his third NFL season, has completed 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards, one touchdown and one interception during a 24-19 loss to Green Bay and an 18-15 setback to the Colts.

"I know full well that one position is not responsible and that everyone needs to step up," Childress said. "But I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the offseason, training camp, the two preseason games he played in.

"Part of it may be experience and I know Gus will give us that."

The 37-year-old Frerotte is in his 15th NFL season and has played for seven teams, including the Vikings during the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

Childress said the benching of Jackson did not mean the end of his Vikings career.

"There are many quarterbacks in this league that have experienced bumps in the road," he said. "It's part of the experience factor.

"While I know he doesn't like it -- I'd worry about him if he did like it -- I know he'll make the most of it."

The Vikings host the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

(Writing by Steve Ginsburg; Editing by Justin Palmer)

I love how Childress bails himself out of responsibility for the decision to start Jackson:

"I know full well that one position is not responsible and that everyone needs to step up," Childress said. "But I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the offseason, training camp, the two preseason games he played in."

IMO nothing really changes, we still have to stop the run when we play these guys.

I love how Childress bails himself out of responsibility for the decision to start Jackson:

"I know full well that one position is not responsible and that everyone needs to step up," Childress said. "But I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the offseason, training camp, the two preseason games he played in."

IMO nothing really changes, we still have to stop the run when we play these guys.

Agreed on us stopping the run first. I would employ Url and Brown as a Hi/Lo shadow everytime AP touches the ball. Plus, Adams and Toeina should be active.

What sucks is this... Minny is in the exact QB quandry we are in. So, we may have to overpay to beat out a division rival on the Free agent / Trade market / Draft to try to obtain a franchise QB. Bad thing is, they are more ready for than we are with OL, AP and Berrian in place.