This entire coaching staff needs to get the axe

jason

Simply put, this is yet another game in which the coaches had a severe impact on the outcome of the game. They timid, no-balls strategies cause and allow complacency, not to mention emboldening the opponent with all sorts of energy and momentum.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The offense did better this game, but simply put, Turner has not fully learned his lesson. He still doesn't understand how to call a game, and all too often his calls are predictable. A shotgun pass on third and short is a horrible call, and then to go to the same formation on another third and short is basically telling the opponents, "Hey, we know it didn't work last time, so we'll definitely run in this formation." It just seems like he doesn't really understand how to keep an opponent off balance. Sooner or later Turner has to be held accountable for how bad the offense is.

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

Simply put, there are no adjustments whatsoever. It looks good early on, but eventually the other team finds out how to adjust, and once again hurts the Bears. First of all, the DL needs to mix it up more. When the opponent's QB knows the Bears' DEs will just rush around the edge, it's easy for the OTs to adjust, and it's easy for the QB to step up. Do you think Griese would have had that many attempts if heat was coming up the middle? With a QB like Griese, prone to throw erratically under pressure, it's ridiculously obvious that you have to put heat on him, hit him, and press the WRs. Griese will make mistakes, and for the most part he did. But the last few drives were pathetic, with four man rushes happening over and over, and Griese sitting back hitting guys in stride. Speaking of hitting receivers in stride, can someone tell the DC to STOP THE DAMN SLANT PATTERN?!?!

HEAD COACH

I don't even want to mention his name. He's liable for the others, and neither the OC nor the DC makes any adjustments. The Bears constantly seem outmatched, and nearly the only time the Bears seem to be ahead of the other team is when the Bears' special teams are involved.

If there are not major improvements, this entire staff needs to get the axe.

All I can say is the penalties. Stupid penalties have been something the Bears have consistently done. I've also seen the Bears consistently lose games where they have outplayed the opposition. Those two areas are how coaches are defined and Lovie does a horrid job at both. His teams get consistently out-coached and thats why they end up losing games that they shouldn't.

I like Cowher, but for once it'd be nice to have a coach with an offensive background.

Cowher has always brought in some innovative offensive guys though. Sure he sticks with the run but I always remember his offenses having some nice wrinkles (utilizing Randle El/Kordell/Hines Ward/etc).

Bears will never get Cowher though because it would not only mean offering him about 7 mill a year for 5 years but the Bears would also have to fire Lovie and pay out the remainder of his deal (which would practically mean the Bears are paying 12M a year for there coach).

No, they generate 4 take aways and put the team at midfield half a dozen times and are on the field the whole game because the offense cant do anything and then get so exhausted by the end of the game they cant do anything.

lol. Get em off the field and you wont be tired.

The reason they are so exhausted by the end of the game is because they don't take preseason seriously. The walk through pre-season and we are seeing the results of bad habits. Noone is in shape to play a full game. The D_line can't get a rush to save their lives and the corners are a joke in coverage. Urlacher looks like he still is in preseason...one or two good series and nothing in the second half.

There is no excuse to lose a game in which the Bears score 24. Especially to the Bucs and a backup QB.

lol. Get em off the field and you wont be tired.

The reason they are so exhausted by the end of the game is because they don't take preseason seriously. The walk through pre-season and we are seeing the results of bad habits. Noone is in shape to play a full game. The D_line can't get a rush to save their lives and the corners are a joke in coverage. Urlacher looks like he still is in preseason...one or two good series and nothing in the second half.

There is no excuse to lose a game in which the Bears score 24. Especially to the Bucs and a backup QB.

they had 4 takeaways and one of the buccs tds was defensive.

Bill Cower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiring Bill Cower would be basically conceding the next 2+ years as we would have to retool our entire defense, and not to mention, we already have to rebuild our entire O.

The way I see it is the only person(s) getting fired is Ron Turner and most of his assistant coaches, but that's only if we miss the playoffs and the offense shows no progress. If we miss the playoffs, I think Lovie Smith and his coaching staff would have one more year.

they had 4 takeaways and one of the buccs tds was defensive.

Agreed. With four takeaways, the Bears offense has to do more.

Incidentally, I don't think the Bears' failure on defense in the second half and overtime have very much to do with fatigue. It's all scheme in my opinion. It takes a lot more effort to react than it does to act. Defense is naturally going to get tired more quickly. The problem is, both teams are tired near the end of the game, and the team that made the adjustment to put on the pressure was the Bucs. The Bears made absolutely no adjustments; otherwise, there's no way Greasy throws 60+ times without being on the IR.

I agree that overall the D didn't do bad, they did somewhat good overall, dominating part of the game and getting torn up the rest. Offense also had both 3-and-outs and impressive TD drives. Overall, I'd say the D was actually better than the O, but they're supposed to be, according to their pay grade.

It's only one game. If Tillman's a man he'll come back next week with double desire and concentration. But IMO it's completely fair to say he lost the game for the Bears, which is something I usually never do since it usually means oversimplifying a complicated loss. But the reality is that while LOTS of guys made individual gameplay/coaching errors to help TB out, only one guy made an unsportsman like 15 yd automatic first down error to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" as others keep putting it.

Thankfully, our two close losses aren't divisional.

Agreed. With four takeaways, the Bears offense has to do more.

Incidentally, I don't think the Bears' failure on defense in the second half and overtime have very much to do with fatigue. It's all scheme in my opinion. It takes a lot more effort to react than it does to act. Defense is naturally going to get tired more quickly. The problem is, both teams are tired near the end of the game, and the team that made the adjustment to put on the pressure was the Bucs. The Bears made absolutely no adjustments; otherwise, there's no way Greasy throws 60+ times without being on the IR.

Basically Griese got to sit back and pick apart a defense that he is very familiar with. he knew those slants would be there and he exposed it and Babich did nothing to his gameplan to stop it.

Hiring Bill Cower would be basically conceding the next 2+ years as we would have to retool our entire defense, and not to mention, we already have to rebuild our entire O.

The way I see it is the only person(s) getting fired is Ron Turner and most of his assistant coaches, but that's only if we miss the playoffs and the offense shows no progress. If we miss the playoffs, I think Lovie Smith and his coaching staff would have one more year.

He wouldnt have to run a 3-4. Im sure he could work something out with our personnel.

Aside from not having the prototypical NT for the 3-4, I don't see why the Bears' personnel isn't a good fit for that scheme anyway. Hunter Hillenmeyer, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Jamar Williams

It's not like the DTs are getting pressure anyway. Do the Bears really need all of'em basically standing there and waiting for the run to come to them?

the only middle ground I would see if he tries to implement it over the course of a few years like Cower's replacement is doing with the Steelers now. But still, I don't like the idea of hiring a coach to run a system he isn't specialized in.

Besides, why are we even talking about this? Lovie isn't going anywhere after this season. And I am comfortable with Lovie as our HC with Babich as our DC as long as we get ourselves an offense.

the only middle ground I would see if he tries to implement it over the course of a few years like Cower's replacement is doing with the Steelers now. But still, I don't like the idea of hiring a coach to run a system he isn't specialized in.

Besides, why are we even talking about this? Lovie isn't going anywhere after this season. And I am comfortable with Lovie as our HC with Babich as our DC as long as we get ourselves an offense.

because its a message board