Kyle's passes look more crisp tonight

KiLoc69

It is interesting that Kyle is showing some similar tendencies to Rex. However, I see the big difference is how he handles the defensive pressure. While he has made a a few mistakes, I also get a sense that every week, he's getting a slightly bit better. And let's not fool ourselves, this was the same Philly D that nearly killed the great Big Ben last week. Not to mention pretty solid Carolina and Tampa D's... Even a solid Indy D.

Kyle's doing pretty well all considered. In fact, many say defense lost those 2 games, not the play of Orton. But, speculation is easy...

Some can speculate that we'de be 4-0 with Grossman, as much as others would say 0-4.

I really don't see good Kyle/ bad Kyle. I just see Kyle. He makes mistakes, but tends to overcome them. He looks to me like an average NFL QB. Nothing to write home about, but not an embarassment. We'll see if he can improve on that...

The bottom line is the team is 2-2 and leading the division with Kyle at the helm.

I think the irony here is that Orton is playing more like Rex than the game manager he was supposed to be. I think that is a good thing. In my mind, we need a quarterback that can win a game for us.

Its also entertaining to watch all the hypocracy of people making excuses for Kyle that they would rip Rex for. Its funny stuff.

Its also safe to say that we now have a case of Good Kyle and Bad Kyle, so it will be interesting to see if he can overcome the turnovers and sacks as this was supposed to be an area of strength.

Its also entertaining to watch all the hypocracy of people making excuses for Kyle that they would rip Rex for. Its funny stuff.

Two points I would make.

(a) There were plenty of excuses for Rex early on too. It was only after long exposure to those sort of plays the excuses dried up. If Orton has bad play over a longer period of time, you can bet few here would excuse him.

(B) While he has not been the "game manager" many expected, and has in some ways been more Rex-like, I would argue he has still displayed far better pocket presence than Rex did. And yes, that includes the awful 2nd half against the Eagles. Orton had a couple plays that were flat out on him, but IMHO, if Rex were in the game w/ that sort of blitz/pass rush, the number of sacks and turnovers would have been even higher.

Its also safe to say that we now have a case of Good Kyle and Bad Kyle, so it will be interesting to see if he can overcome the turnovers and sacks as this was supposed to be an area of strength.

First, I would say he already did that.

Against Phily last night, he had the dreadful 3rd quarter, but his first series of the 4th quarter, w/ a one point lead, he avoided turnovers and sacks, while leading the team downfield and into FG range, putting us up by 4, rather than just 1.

On the next series, we basically ran it, but on the 3 yard line, did put it in Orton hands, and he (from the endzone) hit Clark for a 4 yard gain. That may not seem like much, but it was positive yards, and set up 3rd and 4, rather than 3rd and 7.

Second, against TB, Orton threw 2 picks, but then led the team on 3 scoring drives.

That was one problem w/ Rex. When he turned it over, things only seemed to get worse. It was like those mistakes were in his head, and he couldn't get them out. Orton has made mistakes, but has also shown an ability to over-come them.

excellant point NFO. Rex has continuely shown his head is the problem not his arm, People calling Orton a Noodle arm is also wrong. Even old Madden commented that from the 20 Orton can make all the throws. That is 3rd tier throw. 20 yards is no noodle arm. Pennington makes a living throwing 5 to 10 yards all day long. With Forte a 4 yard pass is nothing to scream about, They proved that last night. It puts the bears in much better position on second down and 3rd. I just think right now for the Bears its all about growing Orton into a quality QB.

For all the crap Rex gets about his career TD's and INT ratio.

Take a look at Orton. He's thrown more INT's than TD's in his career.

But, BearSox thinks it's ok to turn the ball over like he has done the past two weeks.

But, according to him you have to like Orton or you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

Dude, Rex gets blasted because when he screws up he doesn't learn from it. He keeps doing it. At this point it appears that when kyle screws up he has the ability to bounce back from a bad game ( and i'm not talking about the next game, I'm talking about during the game). Kyle's qb ratings in the 70 to 80 range are a far cry from rex's 0's, 10's, 20's, and 30's. Sure it was nice when rex could go out and put up a 100 or better,but it's the fact that when he was playing bad it was like a leak that goes unfixed, it only gets worse. Rex's horrid ratings are a shear indicator that if it was a bad day, it was a really, really, really bad day. I can only imagine how many t/o's we would have had if rex played and he was having a bad rex day, pretty scary to even think about considering the constant pressure philly was applying! Kyle did have a bad 3rd quarter, but I look at it like this: the the first fumble happens to everyone. Some of the best qb's have fallen victim to getting hit from the blind side and fumbling it. Then you have the second fumble, sorry that looked more on jones than it did orton. How about the first int. Like I said orton got hit as he threw it and philly's guy happened to be in the right place at the right time. Sure kyle did have a bad int in the endzone, but at least philly didn't get great field position from it. So yeah kyle did screw up, but his mistakes haven't all been on him. Philly has a good defense if you can't see that for some odd reason go give big ben a call, I'm sure he'll be more than willing to testify to that statement.

I am convinced that someone on this board is actually Rex Grossman...

quite honestly, even if we are fans of Orton starting over Rex, there is a little give and take....

being totally biased and not being able to look at the good points of a person starting on the team we all love is ridic....

I think the irony here is that Orton is playing more like Rex than the game manager he was supposed to be. I think that is a good thing. In my mind, we need a quarterback that can win a game for us.

great post