stopping A Pete!!!

sussnk

This little tidbit from Peter Kings MMQB...

"Peterson, and the rest of the league, should know this about his running style: Gap control is far and away the most important single factor in stopping him from running wild. That's not a cliché. It's a fact with him."

I hope the Bears front can stay in their gaps...and our DB's can do their job this week!! VERY IMPORTANT GAME!!!!

Let's just hope the Bears don't return to the 48-41 game mentality of "bend, but don't break." The defense was BROKE in that game, and I sincerely hope that the attitude isn't: "Look, AP is going to get 120-180 yards; as long as we (defense) keep him out of the end zone, we'll be fine."

That strategy doesn't work.

--JBF

Let's just hope the Bears don't return to the 48-41 game mentality of "bend, but don't break." The defense was BROKE in that game, and I sincerely hope that the attitude isn't: "Look, AP is going to get 120-180 yards; as long as we (defense) keep him out of the end zone, we'll be fine."

That strategy doesn't work.

--JBF

Preaching to the chior!

This little tidbit from Peter Kings MMQB...

"Peterson, and the rest of the league, should know this about his running style: Gap control is far and away the most important single factor in stopping him from running wild. That's not a cliché. It's a fact with him."

I hope the Bears front can stay in their gaps...and our DB's can do their job this week!! VERY IMPORTANT GAME!!!!

Just pray Mike Brown can play, as he will be playing in the box all game long and the key to stopping AP.

gap control is the way to contain all running backs... tell us something we don't know Sherlock, err I mean Peter King.

I'll respectfully disagree. Gap control is needed against guys like AP but if we were playing Brandon Jacobs I wouldn't worry about it that much, rather I prefer to just get him moving sideways even if that means bringing a guy down the line from the backside of a play thus opening up a backside cutback. There are other backs who have great speed but not the vision to work the backside of a play and just always put their head down and plow ahead. In those cases you can focus on the point of attack a bit more, just watch out for a reverse handoff to a WR. Peterson works the entire field at all times and discipline is key to stopping him from getting big gains. That might mean we won't see as many big plays behind the LOS but I'll take that if he's only averaging 3 ypc.

Against every team you need gap control. What you said about Jacobs is exactly the same thing as gap control. He has to go sideways because there are no cut-back lanes because you have all the gaps controlled. This is basic defense right here to stop the run. You use gap control on every single freaking play. Whether it's executed or not is a different story. Just because your facing a running back who doesn't have great vision like an AD doesn't mean you just stop with gap control. Everyone in the box has a gap assigned to them, and if they control their gap, there should be no lanes for any RB to run through. However, tackling the RB is a different story. Here is a basic diagram:

TGCGTE

5 1 ..3..5

.W..M..S

This is just the basic over front without any stunts. The 5's (or the DE's) would likely have outside contain, the 1 (or NT) would have the weakside A gap, and the 3 (or UT) would have strongside B gap. Also, along with their pass coverage assignments, the WILL linebacker would have the weakside B gap, the MIKE would have the strongside A, and the SAM would have strongside C. Here's a better picture:

22589548.jpeg

Gap control is something every team does every single game. A better statement would be that executed gap control will stop AD. If it was as easy as gap control, teams wouldn't be able to get 5 yards running the ball.

Also, the gaps, especially for the linemen, apply in pass rush as well.