Idonije looking for a new deal

nfoligno

Per the Tribune, Idonije is now represented by Rosenarce, which leads more to believe he made the move in hopes of getting a new deal.

I don't blame him, as all players want long term security and he has only one year remaining, but no way I do a deal here, even if the deal is a good one for the bears. I like Idonije, and he is a nice player, but I think we should be focusing on getting a great player. What is the point of extending Idonije if the plan is to make him expendible? At DE, we should be looking to upgrade Wale, and develop Anderson. At DT, we have Harris, just drafted Harrison, and I think should be looking for a 3rd DT (whether on the roster or not) who is simply better than Idonije.

Point is, if we move forward trying to upgrade the DL, I am not sure Idonije will have much of a role. He has been used as much as he has because the DL has failed. If we get it right, I am not sure Idonije sees the field much other than special teams.

I did like Wale's comments. He said that if we went to the playoffs and played well, he could understand players looking for an extension, but coming off a 2nd failed season, players should keep quite and hope they don't get cut. Nice realistic attitude.

Is Wale willing to re-do his contract then? Regardless, point well made and at least he's not asking for more...

I did like Wale's comments. He said that if we went to the playoffs and played well, he could understand players looking for an extension, but coming off a 2nd failed season, players should keep quite and hope they don't get cut. Nice realistic attitude.

If we cut him, he would get enough interest in FA to easily offset. He would not get a monster deal, but I guarantee you he gets a nice contract w/ upfront money. I think he would take that in a heartbeat, so I don't think we have much leverage to get him to simply take a paycut.

As for extending him at a reduced rate, I don't think we would be interested in that. I just don't think he is part of the long term plans, and believe we would rather find a replacement for him. I think it more likely we draft a DE this year, while also hoping Marinelli can get better development out of Anderson, and simply let Wale walk after this year.

I would not be surprised to see the Bears try to renegotiate with Wale. The Bears could save a lot by cutting him, thus they have a bit more levarage and he probably wouldn't get a ton on the open market after last seasons performance.

I think it more likely we draft a DE this year, while also hoping Marinelli can get better development out of Anderson, and simply let Wale walk after this year.

I thik you're right on this one.Wale has one more year to serve us, while JA is praying tha Marinelli can light a fire under Anderson to eventually take over the spot.

Hopefully JA will not negotiate a new deal for any BEARS players in the last yr of their contract until the end of the 09 season.

It would appear JA might also address DE & DT in the draft or free agency in the coming months.

I couldn't find how much his last deal was worth, but I feel like Idonije signed a 4 year deal for 8.7 million. Would a new deal be for that much more? Idonije is 28 and is one helluva a special teams player. I can't imagine that any deal we make with him would be a deal-breaker for going after a guy like Peppers. You mentioned that if we get it right, he won't see much of the field, but when have we gotten it right? Season after season he's a regular member of the rotation.

You mention he we'd be looking for a 3rd DT, usually he's the 4th guy. I'd be happy as hell to sign him.

As for our DT's, with Idonije & Dvoracek under contract, along with Harris, Harrison, and Adams, I'd be shocked as hell if we added another player into the mix this season.

Agree with waiting on Wale. It doesn't look like he'll be in the mix, but what if he drops the QB 15 times this season? Not likely, but not impossible. That changes things.

Per the Tribune, Idonije is now represented by Rosenarce, which leads more to believe he made the move in hopes of getting a new deal.

I don't blame him, as all players want long term security and he has only one year remaining, but no way I do a deal here, even if the deal is a good one for the bears. I like Idonije, and he is a nice player, but I think we should be focusing on getting a great player. What is the point of extending Idonije if the plan is to make him expendible? At DE, we should be looking to upgrade Wale, and develop Anderson. At DT, we have Harris, just drafted Harrison, and I think should be looking for a 3rd DT (whether on the roster or not) who is simply better than Idonije.

Point is, if we move forward trying to upgrade the DL, I am not sure Idonije will have much of a role. He has been used as much as he has because the DL has failed. If we get it right, I am not sure Idonije sees the field much other than special teams.

I can see us redoing Idonije's contract but not until we've completed our FA signings and finished the draft. I don't think Idonije will want to break the bank and Rosenhaus and the Bears actually have a pretty good relationship (might that bring Anquan Boldin to the Bears?). JA and the coaches love his versatility from DT to DE to special teams. Keeping him around will make some of the other painful decisions easier to make. We all know we don't have much settled at DE or DT right now. Signing Izzy for a few more years to a contract that rewards him well but allows us to cut him (i.e. lower bonus) gives us a bit more latitude to make some moves for the next couple seasons.

I agree Idonije has value to the team. I agree his new deal would not be a back breaker. I also agree w/ Az that if we did extend him, it would be after the draft.

Where I disagree is the idea we will not look to add a DT. You mention how many DTs we have, but consider it further.

Dusty - He missed his first two seasons w/ injury, and this past year was on his way to the bench prior to yet another season ending injury. I think Dusty has a foot out the door.

Adams - I like Adams, a lot, and believe he has been on of our most consistent DL over the last two years when on the field, but it just doesn't seem to me like the staff likes him very much. Despite solid play at the end of last season, we (a) drafted a DT relatively high and (B) didn't even consider him for the seasoning beginning rotation, much less starting position. He was inactive nearly half the season. While I like Adams, I also believe the staff would have no problem upgrading and dumping him.

The reality is, we have a system the starts, not just w/ the DL, but inside w/ the DT. That is where the entire system revolves around. We have Harris, who we hope makes a comeback, but despite the number of DTs on the roster, have no #2 DT that stepped up, at least not in the eyes of the staff. I think it VERY possible we draft yet another DT. If that happens, I think it is more likely Dusty or Adams are in danger, rather than Idonije, but regardless, I do believe DT is a position we will see another player drafted.

I couldn't find how much his last deal was worth, but I feel like Idonije signed a 4 year deal for 8.7 million. Would a new deal be for that much more? Idonije is 28 and is one helluva a special teams player. I can't imagine that any deal we make with him would be a deal-breaker for going after a guy like Peppers. You mentioned that if we get it right, he won't see much of the field, but when have we gotten it right? Season after season he's a regular member of the rotation.

You mention he we'd be looking for a 3rd DT, usually he's the 4th guy. I'd be happy as hell to sign him.

As for our DT's, with Idonije & Dvoracek under contract, along with Harris, Harrison, and Adams, I'd be shocked as hell if we added another player into the mix this season.

Agree with waiting on Wale. It doesn't look like he'll be in the mix, but what if he drops the QB 15 times this season? Not likely, but not impossible. That changes things.

IAgree with waiting on Wale. It doesn't look like he'll be in the mix, but what if he drops the QB 15 times this season? Not likely, but not impossible. That changes things.

The only time Wale ever had more than 10 sacks was with the Dolphins. Nevertheless, we shouldn't forget he had 9 sacks in 2007 and almost led the defense this year with 5 (Alex had 6). Tommie Harris has never had more than 8 and Wale has done it thrice.

It's pretty presumptuous to say he's done as a starter unless you're talking about how his contract figures in or you've carefully watched his play (rather than just rattling off sack stats like I just did).

Traditionally, aren't DE's supposed to get more sacks than DT's?

The only time Wale ever had more than 10 sacks was with the Dolphins. Nevertheless, we shouldn't forget he had 9 sacks in 2007 and almost led the defense this year with 5 (Alex had 6). Tommie Harris has never had more than 8 and Wale has done it thrice.

It's pretty presumptuous to say he's done as a starter unless you're talking about how his contract figures in or you've carefully watched his play (rather than just rattling off sack stats like I just did).

Traditionally, aren't DE's supposed to get more sacks than DT's?

Hey, you're just pretending to ask a question to make a point, aren't you?? :P

Yeah, I must've been in a hurry to phrase my pont that lazily.

Try this instead. Consider that in 5 seasons Tommie has only gotten more than 5 sacks once. Wale has averaged 8.5 sacks per season over the last 7 straight seasons* (and never had less than 5). I know that's apples to oranges, but it's such a big discrepancy that it still should make some impression (since Tommie isn't supposed to be your average DT). Neverthless, I listed the Tommie Harris reference last on purpose just as an additional thought, not the crux of my perspective.

*granted, 15 sacks in 2002 certainly helps out the average...but it has to factor in since on the other side of the coin I certainly wouldn't have counted out a season from his average if he had only gotten 3 sacks.

Guilty as charged!

I follow. I think both are not living up to their billing basically. However, I'm a bit willing to let Harris slide a tad due to known injury issues. However, if we see more of the same, those injury issues then really become too much part of the landscape.

I've been disappointed with Ogun from pretty much the get go. He's not a fialure...just not everything he was billed to be.

Hey, you're just pretending to ask a question to make a point, aren't you?? :P

Yeah, I must've been in a hurry to phrase my pont that lazily.

Try this instead. Consider that in 5 seasons Tommie has only gotten more than 5 sacks once. Wale has averaged 8.5 sacks per season over the last 7 straight seasons* (and never had less than 5). I know that's apples to oranges, but it's such a big discrepancy that it still should make some impression (since Tommie isn't supposed to be your average DT). Neverthless, I listed the Tommie Harris reference last on purpose just as an additional thought, not the crux of my perspective.

*granted, 15 sacks in 2002 certainly helps out the average...but it has to factor in since on the other side of the coin I certainly wouldn't have counted out a season from his average if he had only gotten 3 sacks.