Super Bowl

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Cards gave the Steelers the huge hundred yd td interception and couldn't stop the Steelers last drive.

You can't get inside the 5 and turn around and then give up 7 right before the half.

Steelers won because they were the best team.

My thoughts are that Arizona got hosed by the refs and deserved to win the game. What a crappy way to end on a blown call too. Fitzgerald is amazing! Too bad the wrong team won...

Crappy way to end on a blown call? What call? Warner's hand was clearly behind his head when the ball was jarred loose.

The Cards blew it. They waited too long to get thier studs involved and committed too many penalties. Even with that the Steelers I thought were just better. Big Ben needed a little competition to get going. NOW can the love fest with all the former Bear coulda woulda been if we had crap stop. Gandy was gettin beat down all day long Haley waited too long to get plays to thier playmakers. And Warner well nevermind. Reading all those articles this week about how the Bears did this and that with this players/coaches was gettin old.

Crappy way to end on a blown call? What call? Warner's hand was clearly behind his head when the ball was jarred loose.

It was clearly a forward pass. His elbow was moving forward. For that not to even get looked at was B.S. I thought alot of the personal foul calls on the Cardinals were very questionable, especially the roughing the passer. The last 8 minutes were amazing, the rest of the game was kinda blah but It saddens me to watch a game filled with so many questions that always seemed to favor Pittsburgh.

I agree on a couple calls were terrible, especially the roughing the passer. How many times did Ben pump fake the ball and then pull it down and run. It's all just part of what I call the pussification of the NFL. Then you get guys with hands all over Fitzgerald in the endzone and no flag is thrown. Somehow Fitz made the catch but come on. In the end it was Warner's bad throw at the endzone and the Cards inability to hustle downfield and tackle a guy that made the difference.

To clarify for the poster who thought Warner clearly fumbled on that last play. Wacth again. Warner was obviously hit before his arm started going forward...right on the money, the arm and the hand holding the ball. However, that son-of-a-gun actually didn't drop it. He has big hands maybe. His arm motion was so ravaged by the would-be sack that the pass came out very duck-like, but he still had that ball grasped and delivered it forward. What was Kurt gonna do? Be dramatic about it? He was probably already feeling sick to his stomach, figuring a desperation bomb was useless anyway.

With regard to Al and Madden, why are some plays like that so easy for fans to notice but a Super Bowl winning head coach turned announcer and his fellow announcer, both with NFL experince and decades calling games don't notice that Warner never actually dropped the ball? I understand that the natural inclination is to assume, since it's such a rare thing for a duck that bad to not be the result of lost grasp. But geez, these guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop, and not even a mention. It makes me wonder if announcers don't have a sort of "rule" that if it's clear the issue won't be addressed during the game, and the play is not blatantly obvious, that they're better off just pretending they didn't notice. Maybe to keep the NFL brass on their good side since Goodell et. al. probably don't like the announcers drumming up controversy.

Also, give the Cards some credit for their own penalties. It was undisciplined football during the most important game of their lives. The Cards clearly won the second half (save for that last desperation drive), but they also clearly lost the first, and I agree with the sentiment that the Steelers deserved the win.

Also, give the Cards some credit for their penalties. It was undisciplined football during the most important game of their lives. The Cards clearly won the second half (save for that last desperation drive), but they also clearly lost the first, and I agree with the sentiment that the Steelers deserved the win.

My thoughts are that there was a few bogus calls that the refs blew. Particularly on the drive where the Cards had I think 3 personal fouls on. Congrats go out to Steelers. I don't think Holmes should be MVP as I think that should have gone to Big Ben because if it wasn't for elusiveness the Steelers never would have made it that far. I kinda feel bad for Big Ben because he is such a good QB playing behind such a horrible Oline. The Cards need to draft D and do what they can to ensure that Boldin and Warner stay for 1 more year. That time could be extremely dangerous if there D can play any better.

IMHO, his arm was moving forward, but the key was, he lost the ball before his hand, arm, elbow, were in a forward position. Basically, the ball was loose when his arm was still back, in a cocked position. Per the announcers, the booth looked at it (w/o play stopped) and automatically agreed it was a fumble.

Sorry. I wanted Az to win as well, but it was a fumble. The ball was loose before his arm began to move forward.

It was clearly a forward pass. His elbow was moving forward. For that not to even get looked at was B.S. I thought alot of the personal foul calls on the Cardinals were very questionable, especially the roughing the passer. The last 8 minutes were amazing, the rest of the game was kinda blah but It saddens me to watch a game filled with so many questions that always seemed to favor Pittsburgh.

That INT for a td at the end of the first half was one of the most devastating plays I have ever seen in a Super Bowl. They should have taken the lead or at minimum tied it and instead are down 10. Even the fact that time was expired and they couldnt tackle a linebacker before he scored and possibly held them to a FG before the half.

1. The running into the holder call was correct. That's why it's called "running into the holder". If you don't agree, you don't know the rules. He just can't plow the guy who is on his knee like that. There is a reason why that player is specifically allowed to be on his knee and in possession of the ball, without being considered down. And that is why he is afforded protection.

2. The roughing the passer call was complete garbage. I know people will say that a team has to overcome those calls, but when they come at the wrong time, it can destroy a team. Momentum is a real deal, and more than one team has lost when they were set up for success...because of a bad call.

The rest? I would say that they were for the most part correct. Meh. I'd say that Pittsburgh clearly got more of the crucial calls, but Arizona clearly made more stupid plays.

I was simply shocked it did not go to the booth for review.

IMHO, his arm was moving forward, but the key was, he lost the ball before his hand, arm, elbow, were in a forward position. Basically, the ball was loose when his arm was still back, in a cocked position. Per the announcers, the booth looked at it (w/o play stopped) and automatically agreed it was a fumble.

Sorry. I wanted Az to win as well, but it was a fumble. The ball was loose before his arm began to move forward.

To clarify for the poster who thought Warner clearly fumbled on that last play. Wacth again. Warner was obviously hit before his arm started going forward...right on the money, the arm and the hand holding the ball. However, that son-of-a-gun actually didn't drop it. He has big hands maybe. His arm motion was so ravaged by the would-be sack that the pass came out very duck-like, but he still had that ball grasped and delivered it forward. What was Kurt gonna do? Be dramatic about it? He was probably already feeling sick to his stomach, figuring a desperation bomb was useless anyway.

With regard to Al and Madden, why are some plays like that so easy for fans to notice but a Super Bowl winning head coach turned announcer and his fellow announcer, both with NFL experince and decades calling games don't notice that Warner never actually dropped the ball? I understand that the natural inclination is to assume, since it's such a rare thing for a duck that bad to not be the result of lost grasp. But geez, these guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop, and not even a mention. It makes me wonder if announcers don't have a sort of "rule" that if it's clear the issue won't be addressed during the game, and the play is not blatantly obvious, that they're better off just pretending they didn't notice. Maybe to keep the NFL brass on their good side since Goodell et. al. probably don't like the announcers drumming up controversy.

I was ticked when I saw the Super Bowl on NBC because Al and John are so bad and that stupid Faith Hill song at the beginning of each game is about as annoying as the dude who sings the MNF one.. I would have preferred either FOX or CBS do the telecast.

I was surprised as well, but the announcers said then, and the league has said since, the booth did a quick review, and felt further looks (which would warrant a game stoppage, as not necessary.

Frankly, I agree. While his arm did go forward, I just felt it pretty obvious the ball was jostled before his arm began a forward movement. Whether his arm is going forward or not at that point, once the ball is no longer in control, doesn't matter. He didn't have control, and more shot-putted the ball as he no longer had a grip on it.

I would have understood if it did go to a booth review, but I just don't see it as a big deal as (a) I think it was clearly a fumble and (B) its not like a change in that play would change the game. Sure, it is possible Az could score on a hail mary, but lets not pretend it was truly a game decider.

I look at it this way. It was a moment each team had to step up. One team did. The other team did not.

\

I was simply shocked it did not go to the booth for review.

Just more fuel for Steelers haters!

I was surprised as well, but the announcers said then, and the league has said since, the booth did a quick review, and felt further looks (which would warrant a game stoppage, as not necessary.

Frankly, I agree. While his arm did go forward, I just felt it pretty obvious the ball was jostled before his arm began a forward movement. Whether his arm is going forward or not at that point, once the ball is no longer in control, doesn't matter. He didn't have control, and more shot-putted the ball as he no longer had a grip on it.

I would have understood if it did go to a booth review, but I just don't see it as a big deal as (a) I think it was clearly a fumble and (B) its not like a change in that play would change the game. Sure, it is possible Az could score on a hail mary, but lets not pretend it was truly a game decider.

I look at it this way. It was a moment each team had to step up. One team did. The other team did not.

\

1. The running into the holder call was correct. That's why it's called "running into the holder". If you don't agree, you don't know the rules. He just can't plow the guy who is on his knee like that. There is a reason why that player is specifically allowed to be on his knee and in possession of the ball, without being considered down. And that is why he is afforded protection.

2. The roughing the passer call was complete garbage. I know people will say that a team has to overcome those calls, but when they come at the wrong time, it can destroy a team. Momentum is a real deal, and more than one team has lost when they were set up for success...because of a bad call.

The rest? I would say that they were for the most part correct. Meh. I'd say that Pittsburgh clearly got more of the crucial calls, but Arizona clearly made more stupid plays.

If thats the rule fair enough I didn't know it was & why? I have NEVER seen that called never & I've seen people run into holders before

The roughing the passer was horrible

Frankly, I agree. While his arm did go forward, I just felt it pretty obvious the ball was jostled before his arm began a forward movement.

The defender hit him, jostlling Warner's ball but it never leaves his hand. He may have trapped it between his forearm and palm to help maintain control. He still delivers a pass, though his arm was being yanked around so all he could get off was a duck. By your standards, every pass Doug Flutie ever threw was a fumble;)

Sarcasm aside, it was a tough call, but jostling the ball just isn't good enough. The exclamation mark on it is that when he was hit, he hadn't even begun a forward motion. The defender put none of that forward impetus on the ball. He simply caused a bad pass. And Warner wasn't trying to tuck it either. With regard to the announcers, I at least expect them to question whether the ball came out rather than to only harp on whether his arm was going forward at the point of contact, making it seem like they were clueless to that other consideration.

It's actually kind of impressive that Warner's grip withstood that thrasing, rather than the way it's ended up going down, which is that he fumbled away the Cards' last ditch effort.