• Stafford, QB, Georgia
    • Sanchez, QB, USC
    • Monroe, OT, Virginia
    • Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    • Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    • Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    • Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Why do you say?

He wasn't really all that inconsistent during his career despite his huge arm. Sure, his OL sucked, but so did Grossman's and we all hate on him.

Stafford is an ELITE talent and is very smart and a leader on the field. I'd rank him above any QB in the past 3 years, and there's been some pretty good ones, including Cutler, Flacco, and Ryan.

BearSox... he was event the best QB that woulda been in the draft

If you think Sam Bradford would have been the best QB in the draft, you are sorely mistaken. Bradford has talent, but hasn't played in anything remotely similar to an NFL offense.

I'm completely baffled at how you guys can actually choose Crabtree.

First of all, the Bears could never pass on a franchise QB at the #1 spot. How many more years must we see the graphic of how many QBs the Bears have run through while Farv has been playing? Passing on him would be a horrible PR move.

Secondly, with the current setup of the Bears, the OL position is a much more desparate need. Adding a monster LT like Andre Smith would stabilize the OL for years to come, reaping benefits on the running and passing games like.

To pick Crabtree first would be a horrible move.

I'm not as big of a fan with Stafford or Sanchez as others, so I'd go with the OT.

Me personally, I would do my hardest to trade away the 1st pick overall. I don't see a person that says "im the best" Im not really all that impressed with stafford as I would rather have crabtree and macklin before a stafford and even andre smith before stafford. I am just not sure as of yet that any of these guys and going to come into the league and lighting things up. Crabtree and macklin are the best bets

Me personally, I would do my hardest to trade away the 1st pick overall. I don't see a person that says "im the best" Im not really all that impressed with stafford as I would rather have crabtree and macklin before a stafford and even andre smith before stafford. I am just not sure as of yet that any of these guys and going to come into the league and lighting things up. Crabtree and macklin are the best bets

I should have made that an option- trading it away.

We definitley get that team's first, their 2nd, and maybe even a solid veteran player to go along with it.

Just to throw this out there.

Lets say we are using the old scoring system Buchbaum used, which I think went up to as high as 7.0. As I recall, anything 6.5 and up was considered all pro prospect. 6.0 solid to pro bowl. Etc. Anyway, lets say, as a fan, you view Crabtree as a 6.8 grade, while the top QB and top OT are graded out no higher than 6.0. In other words, the top WR is viewed as a once in a lifetime prospect, while the top QB and OT are viewed as good prospects, but far from elite.

Anyway, you still go QB and OL. Understand, I am not saying I totally disagree, but at the same time, if you believe one player is "that" much better than others, I think there is a pretty legit argument to take that player.

My issue here is, as we just have no shot at any of these players, my knowledge of them is less. I know more about Crabtree as I followed TT quite a bit, but not as much the others. IMHO, Crabtree is in fact a prospect that warrant legit consideration at #1. Not saying Bradford and the OL do not, but I just do not know them well enough.

In general, I would agree that if Bradford is a legit franchise QB prospect, then no matter how great that WR looks, you take the QB. But what if you, as the GM, simply feels Bradford is the best of the bunch, and in other years would not be ranked close to top 5? You feel he is a good prospect, but simply not a sure fire franchise prospect?

How about Andre Smith. Great OT prospect, but if you questioned is actual value.....

I guess that is my point. You make it out like there is just no question you look at the QB 1st, and OL second, and the WR comes well after. I would argue that, while I agree in general on the positions, you have to factor the player evaluations each year. If a person wants Crabtree #1, they likely just do not feel Bradford is all that, and question Smith's value as well.

I'm completely baffled at how you guys can actually choose Crabtree.

First of all, the Bears could never pass on a franchise QB at the #1 spot. How many more years must we see the graphic of how many QBs the Bears have run through while Farv has been playing? Passing on him would be a horrible PR move.

Secondly, with the current setup of the Bears, the OL position is a much more desparate need. Adding a monster LT like Andre Smith would stabilize the OL for years to come, reaping benefits on the running and passing games like.

To pick Crabtree first would be a horrible move.

Better w/o the trade option. For a few years now it seems the team w/ the #1 pick wants to move down, but finds no takers. The reality is, w/ the contracts #1 picks are getting now, no one wants the pick unless a truly special players comes along. I mean, how sick is it that a rookie QB can get a bonus equal to Payton Manning, which was considered earth shattering at the time.

We definitley get that team's first, their 2nd, and maybe even a solid veteran player to go along with it.

Who would you take if we had the #1 overall pick? I'd take Crabtree. It's just the Fitzgerald factor- after watching him over the playoffs, I think he's the closest thing to Fitz that's come out in a while- good size, good hands, not overwhelming speed, quiet guy, etc.

Sanchez - Hell no. I actually like him as a prospect, but questionable as a top 10, much less #1.

Jenkens - No. Still do not believe CB is enough of a value in our scheme to take one here, and further question his value in the top 5, much less #1.

Monroe - Nope. To be honest, I do not know as much about these top OTs as I would like, but that is because we have no chance to get them. still, Monroe and Jason Smith seem to be consistently ranked behind Andre Smith, so if we were thinking about an OT, it would seem Andre is the only legit value/choice.

So for me, it is really between Stafford, Andre Smith and Crabtree. That's tough. If I only go off what I know and have seen, it would have to be Crabtree. If I go off other's player evaluations, I think it would have to be Andre Smith. I like Stafford, but he wasn't the absolute #1 until Bradford choose to stay in school. Maybe he would have been drafted 1st, but it just doesn't seem like he is as elite of a prospect as other top QBs in previous years. Andre Smith does seem to be getting similar hype as other elite OTs. Further, there are few safer picks than top OL. So give me the stud OT, and I will build around him. I think Crabtree is well worth it, but we the OL so bad, I would simply prefer the OL.

Stafford...he's got a legit chance to be the franchise QB we've not had.

Who would you take if we had the #1 overall pick? I'd take Crabtree. It's just the Fitzgerald factor- after watching him over the playoffs, I think he's the closest thing to Fitz that's come out in a while- good size, good hands, not overwhelming speed, quiet guy, etc.

Just to throw this out there.

Lets say we are using the old scoring system Buchbaum used, which I think went up to as high as 7.0. As I recall, anything 6.5 and up was considered all pro prospect. 6.0 solid to pro bowl. Etc. Anyway, lets say, as a fan, you view Crabtree as a 6.8 grade, while the top QB and top OT are graded out no higher than 6.0. In other words, the top WR is viewed as a once in a lifetime prospect, while the top QB and OT are viewed as good prospects, but far from elite.

Anyway, you still go QB and OL. Understand, I am not saying I totally disagree, but at the same time, if you believe one player is "that" much better than others, I think there is a pretty legit argument to take that player.

My issue here is, as we just have no shot at any of these players, my knowledge of them is less. I know more about Crabtree as I followed TT quite a bit, but not as much the others. IMHO, Crabtree is in fact a prospect that warrant legit consideration at #1. Not saying Bradford and the OL do not, but I just do not know them well enough.

In general, I would agree that if Bradford is a legit franchise QB prospect, then no matter how great that WR looks, you take the QB. But what if you, as the GM, simply feels Bradford is the best of the bunch, and in other years would not be ranked close to top 5? You feel he is a good prospect, but simply not a sure fire franchise prospect?

How about Andre Smith. Great OT prospect, but if you questioned is actual value.....

I guess that is my point. You make it out like there is just no question you look at the QB 1st, and OL second, and the WR comes well after. I would argue that, while I agree in general on the positions, you have to factor the player evaluations each year. If a person wants Crabtree #1, they likely just do not feel Bradford is all that, and question Smith's value as well.

I know what you're saying, but that's not the point. The poll is for the Bears, in the current situation. And in this current situation, drafting Crabtree at #1 makes very little sense. And if by some chance that someone did grade Crabtree as head and shoulders above other studs at their respective positions, I'd question their grading scheme.

too many "if's" then...

I think a large percentage would trade it away...

The question is more interesting if you force a pick to be made.

too many "if's" then...

I think a large percentage would trade it away...

The question is more interesting if you force a pick to be made.

Agreed with the trade down. Thank christ we don't have the #1. I'm happy as hell not to have to pay 60+ million for an unproven rookie who might suck. Especially with this mediocre group.

Honestly, it is a little hard for me. I follow college ball, but nothing like I do the NFL. I know Big 12 teams better simply due to location, and thus have seen quite a bit of Crabtree, and would myself place a very high grade on him. But I really do not know a ton about the elite OTs, nor Stafford.

I just wonder though because it doesn't seem like either Stafford or any of the OTs are getting the same sort of hype as others in the past. No question Staffard is the best QB in this class, but would he be considered the #1 QB, much less #1 pick, if this were last year? Ditto w/ the OTs. None seem to be getting that Jake Long or Robert Gallery hype. So while the top QB and OT are great prospects, I just wonder if they are truly franchise all pro prospects, or simply the best this year has to offer. Like I said, I just have not seen them enough to know.

Crabtree however would be the #1 prospect at WR most any year, IMHO. The kid is simply that good.

You and I agree very much on building through the trenches. We see eye to eye on how much building up the OL can benefit your offense. While I do not often believe a WR can have as much of an impact, I do believe there are exceptions, and feel Crabtree may well be one.

For example, take Fitzgerald. Even if you have an average OL and QB, a WR like Fitz can make everything look better. There just are not many like him, but I feel Crabtree will be.

Does that mean I would take him over the top QB or OT. No, probably not. I would hate to pass on him, but would kick myself even more for missing out on a franchise QB or OT. But if a poster doesn't believe Stafford or Smith are truly elite franchise prospects, then I can very much understand wanting Crabtree over them.

I know what you're saying, but that's not the point. The poll is for the Bears, in the current situation. And in this current situation, drafting Crabtree at #1 makes very little sense. And if by some chance that someone did grade Crabtree as head and shoulders above other studs at their respective positions, I'd question their grading scheme.