These are my hopes for draft day

Wesson44

David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame

Height: 6-1. Weight: 210.

Projected 40 Time: 4.49.

Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

1/14/09: David Bruton, a two-year starter, was invited to the Senior Bowl.

12/14/08: One of the few productive players on Notre Dame this season, David Bruton managed 93 tackles, six passes broken up and three picks.

5/19/08: A team captain going into the 2008 season, David Bruton recorded 85 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and three interceptions.

Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama

Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round (2009): 2.

1/14/09: Voted to the AP All-America Second Team, Rashad Johnson was called "one of the smartest players I've ever coached" by Nick Saban.

12/14/08: Easily an All-SEC first-teamer, Rashad Johnson totaled 82 tackles, five TFL, 11 passes broken up and five picks, two of which were returned for touchdowns. Johnson's 40 is good enough to excite Al Davis.

5/19/08: A member of the first team All-SEC, Rashad Johnson had 94 tackles 5.5 tackles for loss and eight pass breakups.

2007: Made his first start against Hawaii last year and hasn't looked back. Rashad Johnson has become an important part of Alabama's secondary. He can help in the return game at the next level.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland

Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.33.

Projected Round (2009): 1-2.

1/8/09: As expected, Darrius Heyward-Bey has declared for the 2009 NFL Draft. If he runs a low 4.3, he could be taken in the first round.

1/4/09: Darrius Heyward-Bey had just 38 receptions, 553 yards and five touchdowns in 2008. His supporting cast was pretty pedestrian, so don't judge him on those numbers.

10/19/08: Despite catching just 12 balls entering the Wake Forest game, Darrius Heyward-Bey dominated the Deacons, catching 11 balls for 101 yards and a touchdown.

5/22/08: Darrius Heyward-Bey was inconsistent in 2007. Then again, any receiver would have been with the garbage Maryland had at quarterback (Chris Turner and Jordan Steffy combined for nine touchdowns and 11 picks). Heyward-Bey has a pretty sick 40 at his size. He has a shot to run a high 4.2.

2007: As a freshman, Darrius Heyward-Bey led the team in receptions (45) and receiving yards (694). All of his production came toward the end of the season. Named to the preseason first-team All-ACC. Still has a lot of room to grow - it's almost scary how good this guy can become.

Troy Kropog, Tulane

Height: 6-5. Weight: 316.

Projected 40 Time: 5.02.

Projected Round (2009): 2.

1/6/09: A three-year starter and a member of the All-Conference USA First Team, Troy Kropog is finally getting the recognition he deserves after opening up massive running lanes for two of the nation's leading rushers.

5/24/08: A very athletic zone-blocking lineman who had a long streak of consecutive snaps going into the 2007 season.

Fenuki Tupou, Oregon

Height: 6-5. Weight: 333.

Projected 40 Time: 5.28.

Projected Round (2009): 2-3.

1/6/09: Like Andre Smith, Fenuki Tupou had problems with having contact with an agent. Just another example of how out of control the NCAA is.

5/24/08: A monstrous right tackle who will also be able to play some guard at the next level. Fenuki Tupou started 12 games in 2007 after red-shirting the 2006 season.

Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech

Height: 6-6. Weight: 335.

Projected 40 Time: 5.24.

Projected Round (2009): 4-5.

1/8/09: Helping Texas Tech's offense score billions of points, Louis Vasquez qualified for the All-Big XII Second Team and AP All-America Third Team. 11/2/08: Yet another guard who has suffered through injuries this season.

5/25/08: Despite playing in Texas Tech's pass-happy offense, Louis Vasquez didn't allow a single sack in 2007, earning himself a spot on the All-Big XII first team. Vasquez has started 22 consecutive games.

Travis McCall, Alabama

Height: 6-0. Weight: 260.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2009): 6-7.

1/5/09: A powerful blocking fullback-tight end. Travis McCall had just eight touches as a senior.

David Johnson, Tulsa

Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.75.

Projected Round (2009): 6.

12/20/08: David Johnson finished the season with a 3,866 yards, 43 touchdowns and 18 picks. Most impressive was his sterling 10.3 YPA. An All-Conference USA honorable mention.

Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 192.

Projected 40 Time: 4.34.

Projected Round (2009): 3.

1/13/09: Was an AP Division 1-AA All-America First Team selection. If it weren't for Al Davis, Domonique Johnson would probably be a fourth-round prospect. Johnson will be at the Senior Bowl.

12/13/08: Attention, Al Davis! This man runs a low 4.3! Draft him now!

5/17/08: Let's see... very tall (6-2), very fast (4.34 40) and very annoying to opposing quarterbacks (five picks). Domonique Johnson transferred from Missouri to Jackson State for undisclosed reasons, so that's keeping me from putting him any higher on this list.

according to a Maryland fan friend of mine, he'll need some work in the pro's he can only run a couple routes

Yeah, Heyward-Bey will be a major developmental project. He could step in right away on a team that had at least one good possession receiver but needed a deep threat. A lot of people have him going to Baltimore, which would be a good fit - Derrick Mason's very reliable, and DHB could stretch the field some.

The Bears are the opposite, though. We have a developing speed receiver; what we need is a reliable, polished guy like Nicks, Iglesias, or Robiskie. Kenny Britt should be on the radar, too, although he's a little rawer.

By Vaughn McClure

With starting right tackle John Tait expected to retire soon, the Bears have some serious evaluation to do starting with this week’s NFL Scouting Combine.

First and foremost, they need to re-sign left tackle John St. Clair. Chris Williams, last year’s first round pick, is expected to take over at left tackle, and the Bears already had plans to start St. Clair at right tackle over Tait.

But when Tait leaves, the Bears won’t have much insurance at tackle, unless they are considering giving aging veteran Fred Miller another shot for some odd reason. Undrafted free-agent Cody Balogh is the only other tackle around.

The Bears haven’t drafted offensive tackles in the first round of consecutive drafts since 1976-77, when they selected Dennis Lick and Ted Albrecht.

If one had to prioritize the Bears’ draft needs, tackle would be right up there with defensive back. Wide receiver, defensive end, linebacker, quarterback, and a running back to supplement Matt Forte are also priorities.

The Bears really could use a free safety to fill the void of Mike Brown, who will not be back. But no safety is this year’s draft appears worthy of first-round consideration, if you asked the draft gurus. Louis Delmas from Western Michigan might be worth a look on the first day.

I think the Bears will strongly consider Illinois’ Vontae Davis if he’s available with the 18th overall pick.

This is not local bias, but the Bears have to take the best player available at a position of need. Plus the class of tackles is solid but not as good as it was last year. They could land a potential starter at tackle in the second round

IMHO I was thinking we only need him to run a couple of routes.....5 yard slant 10 yard slant and the deep go route. LOL :D

I'm not sure Orton could throw the ball far enough to hit him on a "Go route". :lol: DHB is off the charts fast. He probably has the best accelleration I have seen from a WR prospect since Randy Moss. That's where the comparison ends, but damn he's fast. I'd still prefer OL or D in round one. But if he was availible early in the 2nd, I would consider trading up, as his upside is sick.

I'm not sure Orton could throw the ball far enough to hit him on a "Go route". :lol: DHB is off the charts fast. He probably has the best accelleration I have seen from a WR prospect since Randy Moss. That's where the comparison ends, but damn he's fast. I'd still prefer OL or D in round one. But if he was availible early in the 2nd, I would consider trading up, as his upside is sick.

Orton's arm strength isn't the problem. It's the fact that he can't throw the ball accurately down the field. Has he ever underthrown Hester on a deep ball? No, he's always overthrown him.

Now obviously, the point is his down the field throwing isn't where it needs to be, but I'm just sick of people saying he has a weak arm.

Orton's arm strength isn't the problem. It's the fact that he can't throw the ball accurately down the field. Has he ever underthrown Hester on a deep ball? No, he's always overthrown him.

Now obviously, the point is his down the field throwing isn't where it needs to be, but I'm just sick of people saying he has a weak arm.

Just to clarify. I was trying to accentuate DHB's speed. I have no criticism of Orton's arm strength, as I think it is adequate as well.

IMHO Orton cant throw the ball deep. He has overthrow Hester on some deep balls but most of the time he under throws him

so hester get the pass interference calls.

Playing him at RT might be a bit of a waste of some of his talent, but he'd dominate there, and it'd be nice to know if Chris Williams doesn't pan out, we'd have someone like Oher behind him who could be the franchise LT as well.

Oher could also play inside if we wanted.

Playing him at RT might be a bit of a waste of some of his talent, but he'd dominate there, and it'd be nice to know if Chris Williams doesn't pan out, we'd have someone like Oher behind him who could be the franchise LT as well.

I would be very pleased if the Bears were able to address OL and WR in the 1st 2 rounds especially if we got one of the top five OT's either one of these WR Heward-Bey, Britt or Robinski (really like how this kid plucks the ball out of the air with his hands).

I don't buy that theory anymore. Many teams line up their best pass rusher on the right side. Some line them up on the left or right throughout a game. 3-4 defenses move their best pass rushing LB around a lot. If Oher joins the Bears and plays RT for us I think it will be great with Williams on the left. For sure you have the option of moving Oher to LT if Williams doesn't cut it but more likely is that you'll have your backup LT playing RT for you. That means your backup OT can be more of a RT which is easier to find not to mention cheaper. You may even have your backup RT be your starting RG. In other words I'd really like having that flexibility and it's one of the reasons we signed John Tait years ago.

I would be very pleased if the Bears were able to address OL and WR in the 1st 2 rounds especially if we got one of the top five OT's either one of these WR Heward-Bey, Britt or Robiskie (really like how this kid plucks the ball out of the air with his hands).

Fixed.

(Just for further notice).

Agreed. This is one of those mini-evalutions in football over the years. Once, it was true that your RT was a slower foot, but bigger and stronger big guy. But then you started to see more and more LDEs who were more than run stuffers. Peppers, Strahan and many other great DEs were playing front the left side, which began to place a greater priority on the RT position.

The LT is still considered on a higher level, but IMHO, that is due more to protecting the QBs blind side than simply based on the level of talent the two OTs expect to block.

I don't buy that theory anymore. Many teams line up their best pass rusher on the right side. Some line them up on the left or right throughout a game. 3-4 defenses move their best pass rushing LB around a lot. If Oher joins the Bears and plays RT for us I think it will be great with Williams on the left. For sure you have the option of moving Oher to LT if Williams doesn't cut it but more likely is that you'll have your backup LT playing RT for you. That means your backup OT can be more of a RT which is easier to find not to mention cheaper. You may even have your backup RT be your starting RG. In other words I'd really like having that flexibility and it's one of the reasons we signed John Tait years ago.

My hopes for draft day would include that the RT position has already been addressed by someone like Khalif Barnes or Vernon Carey.

I really don't love anyone that is likely to be available at 18, but I like a lot of guys that should be around in the second round. So I would try to trade out of 18 and pick up an extra 2, and trade up from our third round pick to get a total of 3 second round picks.

With those 3 picks I would take Nate Davis, Iglesias and William Moore.

I like Davis' combination of size, athleticism and accuracy. I think he could sit for a year to work on footwork and such, then step in and be a franchise qb. I think Iglesias is underrated and could be one of the more effective possession WRs in the draft--to me he has TJ Housh as his upside. I like Moore because he can play either safety spot, and I always dig guys who fall too much late in the draft process.

I won't pretend to know what kind of players could be had later in the draft, but I think drafting a OT, OG, DE, LB and RB makes some sense.