A.C. Mock (After Cutler)

ASHKUM BEAR

Jerry Angelo and the Bears are really excited knowing they now have a QB that can get them back to the Super Bowl. With this new energy swarming, the players are also feeding off of it. It is now up to Jerry to add the remaining pieces to complete this task and keep young talent waiting in the wings to fill in for retirement/FA releases.

My picks are: Rashad Johnson FS, Fenuki Tupuo OT/G, Zack Follett SLB, Johnny Knox WR, David Veikune DE

With there first pick, which is RD2 Pick 49, the Bears will be targeting the following players:

A.) Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State - At 6-3 208 and sub 4.5 speed, Robiskie is NFL ready with his route running ability and hands. He knows how to sit in the zone when a window opens and has a high football IQ. Has leadership ability and NFL bloodlines. Has been compared to Amani Toomer, and is notch below Hakeem Nicks as to a WR with similiar skill sets.

B.) Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma - At 6-5 329 Robinson is a road grader that may also be able to play RT if needed. With a franchise QB behind center and a future star RB, Robinson is like an insurance policy. He has some work cut out for him to be a great NFL player, but his size/strength are probowl ready. With a crowded herd of Guards at Bears camp, they may look at Oline later in the draft.

C.) Paul Kruger DE Utah - At 6-4 263 Kruger has a frame that can get bigger. Not much experiene for his age of 24, but has a lot of potential. Has a non stop motor, quick/agile, with decent strength. Mature, team leader that has a good work ethic.

D.) Rashad Johnson FS Alabama - 5-11 203. Johnson is similiar to Mike Brown as they both have high football IQ's. They are both excellant leaders. Neither are known as being top notch athletes and use good angles and reads to make up for that. Johnson is known as a ball hawk that is always at the right spot at the right time, definately a playmaker.

With there second pick in RD3 Pick 99, the Chicago Bears target the following players:

A.) Brandon Williams DE Texas Tech - 6-2 261 - doesn't have top speed, but great explosiion off line w/ agility

B.) Phillip Hunt DE Houston - 6-2 260 - Has great speed off edge but level of competition wasn't great

C.) Mitch King DE Iowa - 6-1 280 Productive, great athlete w/ speed, nasty demeaner - too short/slow for end and small for DT

D.) Sherrod Martin FS Troy - 6-1 198 good tackler, physical w/ speed/agility. didn't face top competition.

E.) Fenuki Toupou OT Oregon- 6-5 318 size/bulk/long arms, physical/aggressive. good in run game, nasty demeaner. Stuggles against edge

With there third pick in RD 4 Pick 119, the Chicago Bears target the following players:

A.) Zack Follett OLB California - 6-2 236 , good pass rusher, burst to close, big hitter, intense, superb instincts, hard worker.

B.) David Bruton FS Notre Dame - 6-2 219 good size/bulk, physical, burst to close, delivers big hit, leader

C.) Derek Peques FS Miss. St. 5-9 199 decent football IQ, plays fast, aggressive, excellent instincts.

D.) Brandon Gibson WR Wash. St- 6-0 210

E.) Kevin Ogletree WR Virgina

With there fourth pick in RD 5 Pick 140, the Chicao Bears target the following players:

A.) Coye Francies CB San Jose St.

B.) Loius Vasquez OG Texas Tech

C.) Orion Martin DE Virginia Tech

D.) Johnny Knox WR Abiliene

E.) Aaron Kelly WR Clemson

With there fifth pick in RD 5 Pick 154, the Chicago Bears target the following players:

A.) Austin Collie WR BYU

B.) Mike Wallace WR Ole Miss

C.) Nate Davis QB Ball St.

D.) David Veikune DE Hawaii

E.) Jason Watkins OT Florida

I have documented my support for Rashad Johnson if Robiskie is off the board in the 2nd, so I'm right with you there. But how can you ignore WR until the 5th round on this team? We have 4 OTs on the roster who are at least arguably starter-quality (Pace, Williams, Shaffer, Omiyale) and 4 OLBs of at least arguably starter-quality (Briggs, Hillenmeyer, Williams, Roach). We have 1 1/2 WRs of starter quality (Hester and a completely unproven, but reunited with his college QB, Earl Bennett). I have no problem going with a WR in the 5th, in fact I would prefer it, but only if the Bears also go WR in the 3rd.

I have documented my support for Rashad Johnson if Robiskie is off the board in the 2nd, so I'm right with you there. But how can you ignore WR until the 5th round on this team? We have 4 OTs on the roster who are at least arguably starter-quality (Pace, Williams, Shaffer, Omiyale) and 4 OLBs of at least arguably starter-quality (Briggs, Hillenmeyer, Williams, Roach). We have 1 1/2 WRs of starter quality (Hester and a completely unproven, but reunited with his college QB, Earl Bennett). I have no problem going with a WR in the 5th, in fact I would prefer it, but only if the Bears also go WR in the 3rd.

We have to address WR with one of our first two picks, and it is as simple as that.

We have to address WR with one of our first two picks, and it is as simple as that.

I have to disagree. If Duke is available at 49 it would be a steal and would allow us to have a replacement for Garza.

But since I dont think he will be there at 49 anyways, going after a WR would be advisable.

Dont forget, with some PROVEN receivers still available in FA (Holt as the prime example), we will most likely solidify the position using that route.

Would you really want a WR corp of Hester, Bennett, Davis, and a few rookies? Wow is that ugly. Worst I have ever seen, actually.

I have to disagree. If Duke is available at 49 it would be a steal and would allow us to have a replacement for Garza.

But since I dont think he will be there at 49 anyways, going after a WR would be advisable.

Dont forget, with some PROVEN receivers still available in FA (Holt as the prime example), we will most likely solidify the position using that route.

Would you really want a WR corp of Hester, Bennett, Davis, and a few rookies? Wow is that ugly. Worst I have ever seen, actually.

Thats what I kind of expect also, I feel that JA will have a WR signed before the draft that way he can go in different directions. WR's still available Torry Holt, Plaxeco Burress, Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, Ronald Curry, DJ Hackett, Drew Bennett, Jerry Porter, or Darrell Jackson. I do not forsee anymore trading of draft picks for players for a while now, so we can forget Moore WR for NO and also trading for Bolden. I can't see ARZ trading a team they may have to face to make it to the Superbowl.

I hated passing up so many WR's, but with just as big of ?'s at the S position, I felt finding a young Mike Brown would be just as important.

Thats what I kind of expect also, I feel that JA will have a WR signed before the draft that way he can go in different directions. WR's still available Torry Holt, Plaxeco Burress, Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, Ronald Curry, DJ Hackett, Drew Bennett, Jerry Porter, or Darrell Jackson. I do not forsee anymore trading of draft picks for players for a while now, so we can forget Moore WR for NO and also trading for Bolden. I can't see ARZ trading a team they may have to face to make it to the Superbowl.

I agree, I have a feeling Jerry will do something. As it stands having Acquired Cutler and the much press about our apparent lack of talent at the WR position makes it highly likely we look at WR with our 2nd round pick. Could increase the chance someone tries to jump ahead of us if they are worried we'll take the WR they want. But if we sign or even trade for a solid vet receiver that does give Jerry more leeway and may make us less of a threat to take the guy someone else wants. Looking at some of the drafts it does seem possible that Nicks could possibly fall to us. If he's there when we pick I'm not sure I'd pass that up. I'm sure though that Jerry doesn't want his intentions at our 2nd round pick to be completely transparent.

Redux: If Robiskie is still on board, we have to take him but if he's gone and it's up to Inglesias or Rashad Johnson, I'll go R Johnson. I do think Rashad Johnson will be a Mike Brown type of S, even though Johnson compares himself to Ed Reed.

2.) "Robo" Robiskie WR

3.) Sherrod Martin FS

4.) Zack Follet OLB - may not look like a need, but he is high up on Bears board b/c of pass rush ability

5.) David Veikune DE

5.) Jason Watkins OT - RT to groom

6.) Andy Kemp OG - Wisc is the cradle of Guards

7.) John Gill DT - Northwestern kid

7.) Brannon Southerland FB - FB to challenge McKie

If the top Wr's are off the board and the Bears have already signed a wide-out, than I would like them to move down in the 2nd round, potentially into the beginning of the 3rd round where they could than take the Georgia WR (I really really like him) and than grab a FS with the next pick or have the ammo to move up from the 4th round into the 3rd to than select WR/FS/Oline in any sort of order with 3 3rd round picks.

Redux: If Robiskie is still on board, we have to take him but if he's gone and it's up to Inglesias or Rashad Johnson, I'll go R Johnson. I do think Rashad Johnson will be a Mike Brown type of S, even though Johnson compares himself to Ed Reed.

2.) "Robo" Robiskie WR

3.) Sherrod Martin FS

4.) Zack Follet OLB - may not look like a need, but he is high up on Bears board b/c of pass rush ability

5.) David Veikune DE

5.) Jason Watkins OT - RT to groom

6.) Andy Kemp OG - Wisc is the cradle of Guards

7.) John Gill DT - Northwestern kid

7.) Brannon Southerland FB - FB to challenge McKie

I could have an orgasm if we actually got that draft. The only thing i would do different is draft Melton/DE/Texas instead of Veikune. We have interest in him and will fall around the same slot. He is a converted RB that has excellent speed and great upside. Also bigger that Veikune. Also I think Follett would upgrade a position and will turn out to be a long time starter for us. I have read alot about him and it all sounds good.

Rashad Johnson isn't a 2nd round player but just a mid-3rd. However, if we're super high on him (which I haven't heard) then take him with our 2nd because he will not be there for our 3rd.

Rashad Johnson is a legit mid-early 2nd round prospect. He's not the most physically gifted, but he's a leader on and off the field, and NFL Teams love guys with his character.

Rashad Johnson is a legit mid-early 2nd round prospect. He's not the most physically gifted, but he's a leader on and off the field, and NFL Teams love guys with his character.

He's slowly climbing up on all the mock drafts, the more people look into him, the higher he would go. I liked the piece they did on him on the NFL channels Path to the Draft. If Robiskie is off the board, I would'nt trade down very many spots if we're looking to draft him. I think if anything, we take him and try to move up to take Inglasias or Mossiaupo sp?

Read today's article in the Sun Times about Rashad Johnson and the concerns over his size...around 185lbs. I watched the Path to Draft highlights of him and he doesn't look very fast. Of course with highlights being what they are he always seemed to get a great jump on the ball. His INTs and passes defensed is impressive but what I'd like to know is how good a pass rush Alabama had. It's a lot easier to defend passes if you know the ball is coming out in 3 seconds or less. Also were they playing zone or were these nice plays in man coverage?

Similar comments were made about Steltz although not to the same high level but he was just another average college cover guy working behind a great Dline. All this is leading me away from taking a FS with #2 pick and just focus on WR. I like the idea of trading slightly up to get our guy, if none of our top guys are there trade back a bit and see if we can get another late 4th Rd pick or 5th then draft the best of the 3rd Rd WRs.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04/fo...april_10_a.html

"Some consider him a possibility in the second round and others say he will be around into the fourth round. Here's why--he's small. One scout we spoke with said that Johnson played at 185 pounds last season. He was up about 10 pounds at the Senior Bowl and then checked in at the combine at 5-11, 203. It wasn't good weight, a lot of water weight, according to the BodPod, which measures body composition. The scout believes Johnson is a guy who will wind up playing at 185 in the NFL. That's probably too small and that would definitely give you concerns about durability"