Bye Bye Madden

'TD'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253

Madden retires after 30 years in boothComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

John Madden, a fixture in NFL broadcast booths for 30 years, has decided to retire, he announced Thursday in a statement released by NBC Sports.

NFL.com Video

John Madden discusses what the Hall of Fame means to him.

Madden, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and former Super Bowl-winning coach of the Oakland Raiders, has been a game analyst and TV personality since walking away from coaching in 1979.

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall," Madden said. "I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not."

"It's been such a great ride," he added. The NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion -- It still is. ... It's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision.

"I still love every part of it -- the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."

Madden worked as lead analyst for all four networks broadcasting NFL football games, forming tandems with Pat Summerall at CBS and Fox and Al Michaels at ABC and NBC. He won 16 Emmy awards for outstanding sports analyst/personality.

His last game in the booth was Pittsburgh's Super Bowl victory over Arizona.

Madden led the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, seven AFC West titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. His .750 winning percentage remains the highest of any coach in NFL history.

I'm gonna miss him. Sunday Night Football won't be the same without him. Now we'll probably have to have Chris Colinsworth announce SNF, and that's not good at all.

Really??? I can appreciate what he has done for the game of football, but he hasn't been good in the booth for years. Kind of like Keith Jackson in college football. They held on a little too long.

When Frank Caliendo mockumentary of you is better than the real thing, you know you need to retire.

Thats also funny it coincides with Farve's retirement.

Really??? I can appreciate what he has done for the game of football, but he hasn't been good in the booth for years. Kind of like Keith Jackson in college football. They held on a little too long.

When Frank Caliendo mockumentary of you is better than the real thing, you know you need to retire.

Yeah, I know, but Madden is iconic. Even though he was over the hill as announcer, he still was very funy with his comments, and he's just loves football. He was a great guy, and I really didn't care how long he stayed on because you knew when Madden was announcing, it was a big game.

Yeah, I know, but Madden is iconic. Even though he was over the hill as announcer, he still was very funy with his comments, and he's just loves football. He was a great guy, and I really didn't care how long he stayed on because you knew when Madden was announcing, it was a big game.

SO NOW WHAT IS THE NFL VIDEO GAME GOING TO BE CALLED??

Agreed on everything.

Madden has sucked for years.

Madden has sucked Favre for years.

It's high time both got the F out of football so they can retire together somewhere on a ranch.

Agreed on everything.

Madden has sucked for years.

Madden has sucked Favre for years.

It's high time both got the F out of football so they can retire together somewhere on a ranch.

lol And the funny thing is that I didn't even think about the Farve thing until I started writing that response. I guess thats how you know Farve's retirement will stick this time. He doesn't have his PR guy in the booth anymore.

Well I guess its a matter of personal taste, then. I found his ramblings annoying, not funny.

And I know I'll probably be in the minority here, but I like the Cris Collinsworths and the Troy Aikmans. They aren't afraid to call it as they see it and come well informed, which I like. Its alot like the NFL Network crew. I was watching yesterday and they straight up called Mangini and McDaniels, Mickey and Minnie mouse because they were working off of Belicheks legacy. They killed the owners that hired them calling them fools. That is the kind of thing you would never hear from Madden or the clown show from Berman at ESPN where everything is puffy clouds and great all the time.

But thats just me...

freak, Cris Collinsworth is his official replacement!!!!

If anyone prefers Collinsworth over Madden, you need to get your hearing checked. Collinsworth is GOD AWFUL!

Again, I prefer someone who can give me information over a rambling idiot any day of the week.

And my hearing is fine....

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I too freakin' hate Collinsworthless. He is a blow hard if ever there was one.

Madden had lost it, but overall, I will remember him fondly. And I will still laugh at his love for some chick named Brett...

freak, Cris Collinsworth is his official replacement!!!!

If anyone prefers Collinsworth over Madden, you need to get your hearing checked. Collinsworth is GOD AWFUL!

He will go on and on, how when he was a WR (umm...that no one remembers ever played)...blah blah blah with that smug grin.

Once in a while that's OK, but he refers to his spectacular playing skills more often then Madden drops Brett's name... Well, maybe not that much! ;)

Cris Collinsworth is god awful. Speaking of rambling, thats all that Collinsworth does. He says terrible jokes and will never shut up. How you can like Collinsworth, that's beyond me.

I'll miss Madden. He had the ability to make a stinker of a game interesting to watch. Some may call him a babbling idiot, but he was far from it. The whole favre thing got on my nerves, but if he were talking about Walter that way, would we hate it so much? Madden truly was a great football mind, as he could take complex football situations and easily break it down for the common fan. Who else would telestrate grass in a helmet? I truly like the guy!

ABOUT TIME! I got sick of listening to him slobber all over Favre's jock these last 15 years or so. The last time he was actually good was the mid-80's! I guess not having Favre around to blow constantly was too much for the old boy.

Hasta la vista.

How ironic is it that once Farve hangs em up so does Madden. With Farve he's got no motivation go on announcing lol

We've all made fun of him in recent years because he's become more and more irrelevant but I do have a lot of respect for him and what he did. For many many years he was very entertaining in the booth and in a way he was the Jerry Sinfeld of Football, he could talk for hours about nothing but entertain you doing it. He was refreshing when he fist started and the last 5-10 years or so he started to become a character of himself.

As far as the game you can barely call it Madden now as you have the annoying collinsworthless commentary. It's Madden in name and style only.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I too freakin' hate Collinsworthless. He is a blow hard if ever there was one.

Madden had lost it, but overall, I will remember him fondly. And I will still laugh at his love for some chick named Brett...

I happen to think Collinsworth is one of the top two or three announcers going in the NFL right now. He has timely information, correct information, and critical analysis. My hands down favorite NFL sportscaster is Jaws; that dude is awesome.

I happen to think Collinsworth is one of the top two or three announcers going in the NFL right now. He has timely information, correct information, and critical analysis. My hands down favorite NFL sportscaster is Jaws; that dude is awesome.

Agreed. Throw Aikman in, as well, for me. (Just leave Buck at home)

I can't believe the Madden hating going on here. I personally loved Madden. I know he wasn't a great announcer anymore and said some goofy stuff but cmon it's john madden. Once they got Pat Sumural out of there it wasnt as bad. As far as Collingsworth goes; he sucks a big one. His voice makes me want to punch whoever is next to me. Aikman would have been better!

I understand his place in football history, but he has been terrible for just as long as he was good. He's more of a joke than anything now.

I think it's funny that he is considered to be such an incredible broadcaster, yet I don't personally know anybody who doesn't think he is terrible.

But he's got the personality of a used colostomy bag...

Jaws is far more tolerable...