At 105, it's Melton

Ed Hochuli 3:16

there not picking the players I want them to take, but that doent mean there wrong and Im right. We wont know if this works for a few years anyways, so you negitive people get real.

Every year we have the negative nancy's, if they were drafting, we would have taken Iglesias at 49. I'm fine with who we take, ya i have my favorites/targets too but I rarely get critical. Now if Duke is passed up again, it's a different story LOL

Melton had some off the field issues with a DUI back in 2007. It should also be pointed out that this guy is a converted RB whose playing DE. He was a backup RB at Texas for his first two years and really has limited experience at the end spot. However, athletically he's a freak and could turn into one of those ends that can get to the QB and play the run very well. I like that we are getting guys that are athletically strong, especially since we have the best dline coach in football who can help them develop and improve there techniques.

+1

I live in Austin and can tell you a lot about Henry.

Good pick. Can be a steal of the draft if the coaching staff can develop him.

DaBearsDaBomb is right about his bio. The 'Horns used him in a "Q" formation Jumbo package near the goaline, or on 3-and-1 situations for the first two years, plus used him in single formations at RB, but then switched him to DE. He has played some DT also in college.

Very strong, very fast kid...did a 4.65 in the 40. His pro-day at TX was off the charts.

bio: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/spo...on_henry00.html

Texas Pro Day bites: http://www.statesman.com/search/content/sp...0328golden.html

Quote: added three tackles, including two TFL, and two pressures in UT's 24-21 victory over No. 10 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

This kid can make it. He doesn't have experience but he has the measurables to make it.

JA's an idiot! We need help at FS and OG but he picks two DL??? We don't need any more of them we already have harrison, harris, brown, ogun, anderson, adams, and idonije. So yeah, the first pick may be okay but two??? REALLY??? we could really use an OG like robinson so we can actually get some push in the run game cause garza sucks and did I mention that we have some incompetent cast offs at safety??? Bullocks and Glenn can't be a solution and now we'll have a piss poor pass Defense for another year cause JA is a jackass! I'm hoping this will be his last draft for this team cause his antics of "thinking" he's the best at finding defense sleepers in the late part of the draft are gettig old. Hey JA you found briggs, harrison and graham and that's about it because vasher's done squat the last couple years and your reaches for defensive talent are killing this team go see your second rd pick you cut last year or even okwo! Quit screwing around and pick our needs like OG AND FS!!!

So you are openly saying that you think the Bears should draft for need instead of BPA at a position of need?

As for needs, OG is not a need. In fact, we would have to release someone like Buenning (whom we gave up a draft pick for btw) to make room for a drafted OG.

FS a need? Sure, but in the 3rd and 4th, who is worth any of these picks because they are BETTER than who we have?

I think Angelo has done a fantastic job trading down and picking up extra picks while still getting players at positions of need of similar value.

In the 2nd, we passed on Massaquoi to trade down for a 3rd and a high 4th. We took a DT/DE and a DE with good value and ALSO picked up a similar WR to Massaquoi in Iglesias at the 99 pick.

I'm expecting that we pick up a safety later with similar skills to anyone we could have taken earlier.

I'm happy with this draft considering we traded so much for Cutler and had no ammo to move up at all.

Good job JA!!

From NFL.com:

Round 4, Pick 5 (105) (From Seahawks) Henry Melton DE 6'3" 260 Texas

Pick Analysis:He's an athlete with speed. He had an unbelievable pro day, running a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash. He came into Texas as a highly regarded running back before eventually transitioning to defensive end two years ago. He's got a great first move in the pass rush and really good explosion.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:1

So you are openly saying that you think the Bears should draft for need instead of BPA at a position of need?

As for needs, OG is not a need. In fact, we would have to release someone like Buenning (whom we gave up a draft pick for btw) to make room for a drafted OG.

FS a need? Sure, but in the 3rd and 4th, who is worth any of these picks because they are BETTER than who we have?

I think Angelo has done a fantastic job trading down and picking up extra picks while still getting players at positions of need of similar value.

In the 2nd, we passed on Massaquoi to trade down for a 3rd and a high 4th. We took a DT/DE and a DE with good value and ALSO picked up a similar WR to Massaquoi in Iglesias at the 99 pick.

I'm expecting that we pick up a safety later with similar skills to anyone we could have taken earlier.

I'm happy with this draft considering we traded so much for Cutler and had no ammo to move up at all.

Good job JA!!

I agree with you, take the best players available and hope they all work out.

Are you sure Anderson will be a RFA? He is entering his 4th season, and I didn't think his rookie deal was a 5 year deal. I thought he was set to be an UFA.

That would be nice, but the fact that Idonije and Ogun are scheduled to be UFA's and Mark Anderson an RFA, makes DE a huge need.

Are you sure Anderson will be a RFA? He is entering his 4th season, and I didn't think his rookie deal was a 5 year deal. I thought he was set to be an UFA.

You're right he is a UFA. BTW, there is no 5 year deals for anyone past the first. Standard for guys past the first is three years and RFA, or four years and UFA. We always go with the latter.

It all depends on a new CBA. Without a new CBA for 2010, he's an RFA.

I also think that if there is a new CBA, there may be some new mechanism included that allows teams to tag more guys one way or another at least for the 2010 season because teams have been planning on the extended RFA years without a new CBA.

Anything is possible, but I don't think we should refer to Anderson as a RFA. If there is not a new CBA, many things can and will change as many players who would be UFAs will not be.

It all depends on a new CBA. Without a new CBA for 2010, he's an RFA.

I also think that if there is a new CBA, there may be some new mechanism included that allows teams to tag more guys one way or another at least for the 2010 season because teams have been planning on the extended RFA years without a new CBA.

Anything is possible, but I don't think we should refer to Anderson as a RFA. If there is not a new CBA, many things can and will change as many players who would be UFAs will not be.

I don't think we should refer to players as anything other than what they are currently scheduled to be for 2 reasons:

1. If there is no new CBA, that's how it's going to be

2. Even if there is a new CBA, there is absolutely no reason to think that things will be the same as they would have been had the owners not opted out of the current CBA.

The timing of an agreement will be key I think. If there is a new agreement before the end of the 2009 season, then things may revert back to the way they were. If there is no new CBA before late Feb 2010 when RFA tags are applied, I fully expect those guys to stay RFA's that year because teams would be hosed on all their prior plans for that season.

The only reason why I don't like this pick is because we passed up on T.J. Lang for him. However, other than that, this is a good pick.

People are acting like a 4th rounder is gonna come in and make an impact. News flash, odds are they will be developmental players, and Melton is a really good developmental player who can be a much better NFL player than he was as a college player.

The only reason why I don't like this pick is because we passed up on T.J. Lang for him. However, other than that, this is a good pick.

People are acting like a 4th rounder is gonna come in and make an impact. News flash, odds are they will be developmental players, and Melton is a really good developmental player who can be a much better NFL player than he was as a college player.

Right on with that comment.

Excellent post.