251 Derek Kinder WR

ASHKUM BEAR

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04/pi...g_official.html

Pitt WR Kinder making official visit to Halas Hall today

By

Brad Biggs

on April 2, 2009 8:05 AM | Permalink | Comments (16) | TrackBacks (0)

kinder.jpg

Back in 2004 the Bears found a receiver with a story not to unlike the one that belongs to Derek Kinder.

Bernard Berrian was projecting to be a first-round draft pick going into his junior season in 2002 when he blew out his knee in the first game of the season.

His recovery from the injury, combined perhaps with the departure of Fresno State quarterback David Carr, led him to fall a year later. The Bears grabbed him in the third round and felt confident they had gotten a player who could have gone two rounds earlier. They proved to be right. They wish they still had him today.

Nobody is saying Kinder will be the next Berrian, but the Bears are going to give him a good look. The Pitt receiver will be at Halas Hall today for an official pre-draft visit.

He's a sleeper going into this draft and might surprise a lot of people how early he winds up being chosen. Kinder ran the 40-yard dash at his pro day March 17 and one watch had him at 4.46 seconds. At 6-foot, 202 pounds, he can stretch the field vertically, which makes him similar to Berrian in that respect. He was a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award in 2006 and then Kinder had a medical redshirt season in 2007 after suffering a torn ACL.

He is considered a solid blocker who will work hard on special teams and he's just now getting to full strength with the knee. The Bears, of course, will give him a physical to see how it checks out. Kinder might just check out in pretty good position on their draft board. Keep an eye on him.

Dont think so, His pro day at Pitt was monster, Bears saw him and when scouting there. Knee seems to be fine. Would not doubt if he makes the team out right.

Hey, if he can beat out Rasheed Davis then great. He better be able to play special teams though.

Peace :dabears

Part of Rashied's value to the team was that he could be a backup for KR. Well we now have Iglesias who can do that albeit without the explosive you want to see and Knox has also returned punts and kicks but wasn't a full timer at it. So I agree Davis should be on the bubble but with the lack of experience we have at WR I think he still makes the team. If Knox and Kinder impress in camp then I can see us keeping 6 WR. Most likely I'd say Kinder ends up on practice squad. That could be a risk if he plays well in preseason as other teams will likely be keeping an eye on him.

Exactly. We have Hester, Manning, Iggy, Moore, and Knox with experience returning kicks. (not to mention Vasher)

Get rid of Davis.

If nothing else I believe JA and Company just served a HUGE notice to Davis. He will be forced to get his crap together otherwise he will be looking for a new job. At least Iggy and Knox will make this team and Kinder could if he can regain his pre-injury form and plays very well in camp.

I'd be more than happy to see Davis move on after what he did last year. However, what worries me is that he was considered to be playing great during training camp and was expected to have a breakout year. Then he dropped key pass after key pass. Point is that he might be a great practice guy but terrible on game day. Other guys can be the opposite. If that same scenario happens this year will the coaches put more stock in what they see in preseason games versus the practice video?

I'd be more than happy to see Davis move on after what he did last year. However, what worries me is that he was considered to be playing great during training camp and was expected to have a breakout year. Then he dropped key pass after key pass. Point is that he might be a great practice guy but terrible on game day. Other guys can be the opposite. If that same scenario happens this year will the coaches put more stock in what they see in preseason games versus the practice video?

In 2009 he truly sucked. However, he was one of our most reliable receivers in 2008. What happened to him last year? I do not know. We are hoping for a lot from our 3 new draft selections, now or in the future. We are hoping Bennett emerges this year. Just who do we have on our current roster with any legitimate NFL experience at the WR position other than Hester?

I still stand by my earlier prediction that Angelo will add some experience at this position before the season starts.

Everyone is simply assuming Kinder is going to make the team and that he is better than Davis. There is a reason he fell into the bottom of the 7th round. Davis is a hell of a special teams player. He had a bad yr with drops but did make that great catch against Atlanta that nearly won us the game. We have basically zero receiver experience behind Hester this yr. I look for Davis to be around for 1 more yr while the other receivers develop.

Peace :dabears

Kinder has way more upside to him then Davis. Kinder size and hands are way better at this point then Davis has shown. Kinder Fell because of injury, not that he sucked. He was second in 2007 in the fred biletnikoff award for top recievers, Then injury hit him hard. It Apears he has recovered fully now and Wanny said for our Offense he would be an upgrade. ( take it for what its worth)

Kinder has way more upside to him then Davis. Kinder size and hands are way better at this point then Davis has shown. Kinder Fell because of injury, not that he sucked. He was second in 2007 in the fred biletnikoff award for top recievers, Then injury hit him hard. It Apears he has recovered fully now and Wanny said for our Offense he would be an upgrade. ( take it for what its worth)

IMHO I would rether have the 6'0 202, 4.4 speed, good soft hands of Kinder that what Davis brings to the table. But like someone said what happened to Davis, I think it was Orton because he did well with Grossman throwing him the ball.