Devin Hester willing to give up return duties

defiantgiant

From the Tribune:

Chicago Bears Devin Hester willing to give up punt returns, just not immediately

By Vaughn McClure

It was interesting to see Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network rank Devin Hester the fifth-best return man in the league. Dukes said Hester would be No. 1 without the title of receiver behind his name.

Wonder what Dukes and other NFL observers would say if Hester gave up returns, period? It could happen.

The Bears star, who surrendered his kickoff return duties to Danieal Manning last season, said he would be willing to give up punt returns, too ... just not immediately.

``I think a return man simply has to be a return man,’’ Hester said. ``There’s really no other position he should go out and play. A return man is a totally different ball game from trying to be a return man and starting receiver, or the starting cornerback, or a starting safety. I don’t think it’s going to work. That’s why you never really see it last that long in the NFL. You can’t do it.

``But with me right now, I feel like at punt returns there are going to be opportunities where we’re going to need big returns,’’ he continued. ``With all the success we’ve had at the return game, it would be real crazy to just give it up now. Plus I’m looking to break this record. In the back of my mind, I’ve got to get this record before I give (punt returns) up.’’

Hester displayed a confident smile as he completed his thought. He enters the 2009 season with 11 career kick returns for touchdowns (not counting the opening kickoff in the Super Bowl or the return of a missed field goal), two shy of the record held by Brian Mitchell. Although shattering the mark would be a great personal achievement, Hester understands that his team often feeds off his electric returns. The Bears went 9-2 in games Hester returned a kick for a score.

But Hester was unable to break one for a touchdown last season as his continued to evolve as a receiver.

``Me being partially the guy last year and doing returns, it was real tough on me,’’ he said. ``It’s a tiring thing. You’re running eight, nine plays in a row and you’re going deep. Then you come back on punt returns, kickoff returns, and you don’t have any juice back there.

``It’s a beast. You see guys show glimpses of it, but they never had a full return game. Look at Deion Sanders, a great returner, but you never saw him take over the full job as punt returner and kickoff returner. You can’t do it. Steve Smith (Carolina) came in as a great kickoff/punt returner. Now that he's got that role at receiver, he didn’t have any juice (to return). It’s tough.’’

With Hester touted as the team’s No. 1 receiver, one would think relieving him of punt returns would be the next step. Time will tell as the Bears get deep into the season. Rookie D.J. Moore could be a capable replacement in the future. Nathan Vasher had six punt returns last season, second behind Hester’s 32.

What might make matters more intriguing is the development of the defense. If Lovie Smith’s crew regains its swagger, then there could be a lot of three-and-out situations, meaning more punt returns for Hester. That might not be an ideal situation if Hester is quarterback Jay Cutler’s go-to guy.

``Everybody’s saying receiver this, receiver that,’’ Hester said. ``I think it really starts with the quarterback and the offensive line, and we have both. I feel like we’re going to be a better team than we were last year. I look for big things. Hopefully, we will win the Super Bowl.’’

I have no problem w/ the idea of Hester giving up return duties in the future IF he develops into a #1 WR. Steve Smith was one hell of a return man, but the team moved him out of that role once he broke out as a receiver, I think after his 3rd year or something like that.

If Hester develops into a stud WR, fine. But he first has to makes some big strides as a receiver for that to be done.

From the Tribune:

Chicago Bears Devin Hester willing to give up punt returns, just not immediately

By Vaughn McClure

It was interesting to see Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network rank Devin Hester the fifth-best return man in the league. Dukes said Hester would be No. 1 without the title of receiver behind his name.

Wonder what Dukes and other NFL observers would say if Hester gave up returns, period? It could happen.

The Bears star, who surrendered his kickoff return duties to Danieal Manning last season, said he would be willing to give up punt returns, too ... just not immediately.

``I think a return man simply has to be a return man,’’ Hester said. ``There’s really no other position he should go out and play. A return man is a totally different ball game from trying to be a return man and starting receiver, or the starting cornerback, or a starting safety. I don’t think it’s going to work. That’s why you never really see it last that long in the NFL. You can’t do it.

``But with me right now, I feel like at punt returns there are going to be opportunities where we’re going to need big returns,’’ he continued. ``With all the success we’ve had at the return game, it would be real crazy to just give it up now. Plus I’m looking to break this record. In the back of my mind, I’ve got to get this record before I give (punt returns) up.’’

Hester displayed a confident smile as he completed his thought. He enters the 2009 season with 11 career kick returns for touchdowns (not counting the opening kickoff in the Super Bowl or the return of a missed field goal), two shy of the record held by Brian Mitchell. Although shattering the mark would be a great personal achievement, Hester understands that his team often feeds off his electric returns. The Bears went 9-2 in games Hester returned a kick for a score.

But Hester was unable to break one for a touchdown last season as his continued to evolve as a receiver.

``Me being partially the guy last year and doing returns, it was real tough on me,’’ he said. ``It’s a tiring thing. You’re running eight, nine plays in a row and you’re going deep. Then you come back on punt returns, kickoff returns, and you don’t have any juice back there.

``It’s a beast. You see guys show glimpses of it, but they never had a full return game. Look at Deion Sanders, a great returner, but you never saw him take over the full job as punt returner and kickoff returner. You can’t do it. Steve Smith (Carolina) came in as a great kickoff/punt returner. Now that he's got that role at receiver, he didn’t have any juice (to return). It’s tough.’’

With Hester touted as the team’s No. 1 receiver, one would think relieving him of punt returns would be the next step. Time will tell as the Bears get deep into the season. Rookie D.J. Moore could be a capable replacement in the future. Nathan Vasher had six punt returns last season, second behind Hester’s 32.

What might make matters more intriguing is the development of the defense. If Lovie Smith’s crew regains its swagger, then there could be a lot of three-and-out situations, meaning more punt returns for Hester. That might not be an ideal situation if Hester is quarterback Jay Cutler’s go-to guy.

``Everybody’s saying receiver this, receiver that,’’ Hester said. ``I think it really starts with the quarterback and the offensive line, and we have both. I feel like we’re going to be a better team than we were last year. I look for big things. Hopefully, we will win the Super Bowl.’’

I have no problem w/ the idea of Hester giving up return duties in the future IF he develops into a #1 WR. Steve Smith was one hell of a return man, but the team moved him out of that role once he broke out as a receiver, I think after his 3rd year or something like that.

If Hester develops into a stud WR, fine. But he first has to makes some big strides as a receiver for that to be done.

If he's even an above-average #1 receiver, I think it's a good move. We know Hester-the-returner is capable of getting a half-dozen scores in a season, and that's phenomenal for a KR, but Hester-the-receiver should EASILY be able to get six TDs. In fact, doing so wouldn't even make him a stud receiver per se: 22 wide receivers had at least six scores last season, among them some steady-but-unspectacular guys like Isaac Bruce, Laveranues Coles, and Kevin Walter. Hell, Justin Gage had six TDs last season, and Bernard Berrian had seven. That's a mark that Hester should be able to hit, no problem. If he does, the Bears will have gotten better value from him than if they kept him as a KR.

As great as Hester was on returns, you can't keep a guy with that kind of talent as a fulltime KR/PR and get full value out of him. For one thing, you'd be relying on teams to kick to him, which the Bears' 2007 opponents were increasingly reluctant to do. I definitely want to see Hester get 3 or 4 more return touchdowns before he gives it up, since I think he deserves that record, but I'm definitely OK with him concentrating on being a fulltime wide receiver.

That was his bread and butter, but that isn't to say receiving can't be.

Gotta learn to do both? I am sure he can do both, but if you want him to be a stud at either, he may have to give up one. Very few have been great at two positions.

Hester CAN'T give up being a returner. That's his bread and butter. I don't care if he's a full time WR, he's gotta learn how to do both.

I don't buy him being out of juice. He is getting on the field 1 play early. I could see if he was playing CB, then had to return a punt, but he could've been sitting on the bench for 10 minutes while the defense was on the field. The same goes for kickoffs. What is wrong with him opening the half or the start of the game returning a kick. I could see kick returning taking juice out of his plays on offense, but not the other way around. Also, how much juice did he expend averaging 6 yds a punt return? His drop off last year was huge, and I don't know how much of that was because he was playing receiver.

As great as Hester was on returns, you can't keep a guy with that kind of talent as a fulltime KR/PR and get full value out of him. For one thing, you'd be relying on teams to kick to him, which the Bears' 2007 opponents were increasingly reluctant to do. I definitely want to see Hester get 3 or 4 more return touchdowns before he gives it up, since I think he deserves that record, but I'm definitely OK with him concentrating on being a fulltime wide receiver.

If Hester did not show a whole hell of a lot as a WR, I would say he could be a returner, and nothing else. Don't be too quick to dismiss the impact he had as a returner. You say we can force teams to kick to him, but even by kicking away from him, we end up for the better. Remember all those kicks that basically were sent out of bounds (on purpose) to avoid Hester, thereby giving us the ball at the 40. Or when his is back there for punts, and the punter angles it and/or just tries to kick straight up in the air, rather than bomb one down field. Point is, when he was purely a returner, he likely impacted by as much as 20 or more yards per kick, whether they kicked to him or not.

But I would give all that up if he were to develop into a WR. If he develops into a WR, he can have an even greater impact on the team. We agree (I think) there. My only point is, if he couldn't/can't develop into that WR, I would rather have an elite returner than an average WR.

Also, how much juice did he expend averaging 6 yds a punt return?

Don't forget. He ran about 30 yards (sideways and backward) to get that 6 yard average.

Sorry, but I think it is pretty accepted that returning does take something out of you, which is why most players, when they develop as starters, are removed from their returner role. Injury potential is there as well, but I think so is the stamina factor.

Personally, I think (a) the drop in his ability as a returner after becoming a WR and (B) other options we have make the decision a bit easier.

Also, how much juice did he expend averaging 6 yds a punt return?

Don't forget. He ran about 30 yards (sideways and backward) to get that 6 yard average.

Sorry, but I think it is pretty accepted that returning does take something out of you, which is why most players, when they develop as starters, are removed from their returner role. Injury potential is there as well, but I think so is the stamina factor.

Personally, I think (a) the drop in his ability as a returner after becoming a WR and ( B) other options we have make the decision a bit easier.

I agree that any extra play during the game is going to take something out of you, but I think the injury potential is one of the biggest factors. I agree that the decision will be much easier if he improves as a receiver and if we have other options.

In the long run, where will he have the bigger impact, as a returner or as a receiver? If he only becomes a decent #2, is that more valuable than the best returner in the game? I just thought his talent as a returner was so good (best ever) that you would not want to mess with that.

I want my cake and eat it too!

Hester needs to return 3 for TD's and then we can plop him on the WR slot alone from then on out! ;)

I agree that any extra play during the game is going to take something out of you, but I think the injury potential is one of the biggest factors. I agree that the decision will be much easier if he improves as a receiver and if we have other options.

In the long run, where will he have the bigger impact, as a returner or as a receiver? If he only becomes a decent #2, is that more valuable than the best returner in the game? I just thought his talent as a returner was so good (best ever) that you would not want to mess with that.

There's no reason why Dan Manning shouldn't get the majority of Kick Returns. However, Hester is still probably our best option as the PR.

If/when Hester develops into at least a solid no. 2, I'd take away all return duties except for maybe opening up the game or the half, etc.

There's no reason why Dan Manning shouldn't get the majority of Kick Returns. However, Hester is still probably our best option as the PR.

If/when Hester develops into at least a solid no. 2, I'd take away all return duties except for maybe opening up the game or the half, etc.

I'd be curious to see what some of our rookies would do in punt returns. DJM was an excellent returner in college from what I understand from bowlingtwig. Knox has blazing speed and would be exciting to see returning PRs. I would like to see these guys auditioned for the PR duties as well as KO returns. Manning could be outstanding as our KR man but it would not be a bad idea to have DJM or Knox in line if needed for either KO or P returns.

I'd be curious to see what some of our rookies would do in punt returns. DJM was an excellent returner in college from what I understand from bowlingtwig. Knox has blazing speed and would be exciting to see returning PRs. I would like to see these guys auditioned for the PR duties as well as KO returns. Manning could be outstanding as our KR man but it would not be a bad idea to have DJM or Knox in line if needed for either KO or P returns.

Good catch with DJ Moore, I forgot about him. He was a playmaker in college who was used all over the field.

I understand. It is a bit of a gamble, but likely one worth it. You talk about "what if he becomes a decent #2". On the other hand, what if he is a future #1?

There is no question how good he was as a returner. As I have argued before, even when teams kicked away from him and he didn't get the ball, he had an impact on our field position. On the other hand, if he can develop into a #1 WR, he should far surpass that level of impact.

And before the questions start, when I say a #1 WR, I don't mean he must become Steve Smith. If he has 75-1,100-8 this year, I would say he has moved into the #1 WR category, and further, argue he brings more value as a WR than as a returner. I loved the TDs too, but you just can't rely on that for long. We began to see teams kicking away from him. While he still has an impact on field position, his opportunities to score are thus limited. I'll take a WR that gets over 1,000 yards over a returner who gives the offense field position.

Sure, it could blow up in our faces, but I think it worth the risk. Further, I believe he showed a large level of development last year which gives me hope his ceiling as a WR is high.

Good catch with DJ Moore, I forgot about him. He was a playmaker in college who was used all over the field.

Iglesias too. He "broke the school’s all-time record for career kickoff return yards, returning 63 kickoffs for 1,664 yards (26.4 avg) and 1 TD..."

I don't have the numbers, but as I recall, Wolfe too was a big ticket return man in college, and as I recall, that was a big reason we drafted him.

One thing to consider too. While I am not trying to eliminate the importance of a return man, I would argue the importance of a great return man for us has been huge, but largely due to our having an offense incapable of moving the ball down the field.

Look at a team like Indy. Having a good/great return man is nice, but not necessarily necessary as they have an offense very much capable of (a) moving the ball and (B) scoring. When we had an offense that could only move the ball a little, having a great return man that could shorten the field was a really big deal. If Cutler can move our offense on a far greater level, I think the need for a great return man goes down.

One thing to consider too. While I am not trying to eliminate the importance of a return man, I would argue the importance of a great return man for us has been huge, but largely due to our having an offense incapable of moving the ball down the field.

Great point nfo. I never thought about it that way.

Iglesias too. He "broke the school’s all-time record for career kickoff return yards, returning 63 kickoffs for 1,664 yards (26.4 avg) and 1 TD..."

I don't have the numbers, but as I recall, Wolfe too was a big ticket return man in college, and as I recall, that was a big reason we drafted him.

I think your correct on Wolfe

We seem to have a lot of guys that could step into the spot without a whole lot of a drop off

In the long run, Hester will be of greater use to the Bears as a receiver, even if he's only a #2 guy. Here's why:

1.) Kick returns are dangerous. There's a reason that returners tend to have short careers: they're little fast guys who get exposed to a large amount of contact. A wide receiver doesn't face nearly the number of high-speed collisions that a full-time returner does. Moving Hester to receiver will greatly extend his career for the Bears.

2.) As I've said before, even a decent receiver will score at least as often as a spectacular return man. That's why a return TD is so much more unusual than a receiving TD. Hester could easily put up 5 or 6 receiving TDs per season. You could make the argument that he won't have the same yardage totals - he'd have to be a pretty good receiver to put up 1128 yards like he did in 2006, and he'd have to be an AWESOME receiver to put up 1585 yards like he did in 2007. That said, however, I think you can make the argument that return yardage is not necessarily as valuable as yardage on offense. How many times in 2006-2007 did we watch Hester set the offense up with excellent field position, only to have them go 3-and-out or settle for a field goal?

3.) As a receiver, Hester can make our other offensive weapons better. He can draw attention away from Bennett and Olsen, and keep defenses from stacking the box against Forte. He's obviously still a threat as a returner, but that just means teams kick out of bounds, which is arguably less useful. If opposing teams gameplan for Hester-the-receiver half as much as they did for Hester-the-returner, it'll pay big dividends for the rest of the offense.

In the long run, Hester will be of greater use to the Bears as a receiver, even if he's only a #2 guy. Here's why:

1.) Kick returns are dangerous. There's a reason that returners tend to have short careers: they're little fast guys who get exposed to a large amount of contact. A wide receiver doesn't face nearly the number of high-speed collisions that a full-time returner does. Moving Hester to receiver will greatly extend his career for the Bears.

2.) As I've said before, even a decent receiver will score at least as often as a spectacular return man. That's why a return TD is so much more unusual than a receiving TD. Hester could easily put up 5 or 6 receiving TDs per season. You could make the argument that he won't have the same yardage totals - he'd have to be a pretty good receiver to put up 1128 yards like he did in 2006, and he'd have to be an AWESOME receiver to put up 1585 yards like he did in 2007. That said, however, I think you can make the argument that return yardage is not necessarily as valuable as yardage on offense. How many times in 2006-2007 did we watch Hester set the offense up with excellent field position, only to have them go 3-and-out or settle for a field goal?

3.) As a receiver, Hester can make our other offensive weapons better. He can draw attention away from Bennett and Olsen, and keep defenses from stacking the box against Forte. He's obviously still a threat as a returner, but that just means teams kick out of bounds, which is arguably less useful. If opposing teams gameplan for Hester-the-receiver half as much as they did for Hester-the-returner, it'll pay big dividends for the rest of the offense.

1) I agree that injury risk is much higher. I also think that KR/PR actually run into different problems if they stay exclusively as return men. One problem is contracts. Teams don't want to pay big bucks for a guy that is only going to play 6-8 plays a game.

2) I was thinking more along the lines of Hester (KR/PR) compared to a normal returner vs Hester (as WR) compared to a normal receiver. The differences right now lean towards Hester being a KR/PR since the upside is so much higher. Now I am hoping that this year is the year that it all changes.

3) No matter where Hester is on the field, he is going to draw attention and make teams game plan around him. Which is good. That is why I think they should still use him sparingly as a returner. Maybe open up the game or half as KR, and as a PR on important punt returns.

All in all, it is a good problem to have.

2) I was thinking more along the lines of Hester (KR/PR) compared to a normal returner vs Hester (as WR) compared to a normal receiver. The differences right now lean towards Hester being a KR/PR since the upside is so much higher. Now I am hoping that this year is the year that it all changes.

You'll get no argument from me on that one. Hester's a historic returner, and he's not going to have the same kind of status as a receiver. I'll be sad not to see him doing returns, just because he was so special at it. But the argument that I was trying to make is this: even a historically special return guy is not as valuable to this team as a good-to-very-good wide receiver is.

The most interesting thing about Hester's impact on the return game, to me, is that he pretty much showed us the ceiling for how much a return man can do for your team. The sad thing is this: that ceiling is much lower than I thought it would be. When teams started kicking out of bounds, Hester really didn't have much impact. Starting on the 40 isn't that big an advantage, compared to getting a TD on returns every other game. Even if he returned to form and went back to being a full-time KR/PR, what team in their right mind is going to let him touch the ball? We'd be relying on other teams to be stupid and kick to him: while that does happen sometimes, most teams are wise to it by now and kick out of bounds.

We've already seen Hester's upside as a returner - he's the best there's ever been. But in terms of his value to the team, I think he'll do more good as a receiver, if only so we can be sure that the ball gets in his hands and into the end zone.

I agree w/ the move WR, and agree w/ the impact/upside at WR being greater. What that said, I disagree when you seem to question his value as a returner once teams began to avoid him.

"starting on the 40 isn't that big of an advantage" I realize you say this w/ comparison to scores, but I would still disagree. Starting at the 40 is HUGE, especially when you consider you are doing this several or more times a game. Starting from the 40, you need only pickup a pair of 1st downs to be in FG range. You are already in position for one big play to end in the endzone. I don't have the stats, but I bet your odds of scoring go WAY up starting at the 40, rather than the 20.

Further, consider also his impact as a punt returner then, besides just the scores. How many punters shanked the ball totally trying so hard to directional kick. Punters were more concerned w/ kicking high (so the coverage unit could get downfield) than deep. How 20 yard punts did we see as punters tried to avoid hester.

As I said in another post, if you have a great offense, field position and returners are simply not nearly as important. They matter, but their importance is lessened by an offense that can drive the field. But for an average offense, that extra 10,20,30 yards could easily mean the difference between scoring and punting, and thus winning or losing.

You'll get no argument from me on that one. Hester's a historic returner, and he's not going to have the same kind of status as a receiver. I'll be sad not to see him doing returns, just because he was so special at it. But the argument that I was trying to make is this: even a historically special return guy is not as valuable to this team as a good-to-very-good wide receiver is.

The most interesting thing about Hester's impact on the return game, to me, is that he pretty much showed us the ceiling for how much a return man can do for your team. The sad thing is this: that ceiling is much lower than I thought it would be. When teams started kicking out of bounds, Hester really didn't have much impact. Starting on the 40 isn't that big an advantage, compared to getting a TD on returns every other game. Even if he returned to form and went back to being a full-time KR/PR, what team in their right mind is going to let him touch the ball? We'd be relying on other teams to be stupid and kick to him: while that does happen sometimes, most teams are wise to it by now and kick out of bounds.

We've already seen Hester's upside as a returner - he's the best there's ever been. But in terms of his value to the team, I think he'll do more good as a receiver, if only so we can be sure that the ball gets in his hands and into the end zone.