Dungy supports Marvin Harrison to the Bears

adam

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/08/du...n_harrison.html

Tony Dungy didn't hesitate stepping out and questioning the leadership ability of Jay Cutler earlier this year, something he wasn't alone in doing, but now he's got a suggestion for the Bears.

Sign Marvin Harrison if you need a wide receiver.

Speaking earlier today on the Waddle and Silvy Show on ESPN-1000, Dungy said that the former all-pro can contribute this season.

"Yeah, Marvin can play the game,'' Dungy said. "Marvin can get open and catch the ball. Marvin's whole thing is precision. And he's the guy that needs work in a system, you know. I think he definitely can play and I would encourage Lovie to sign him if they had that opening."

Now that Dungy has helped Michael Vick land work with the Philadelphia Eagles, maybe he can make something happen for Harrison. The 36-year-old probably isn't going to jump at any offer but a club with an established quarterback could surely land him. In 13 seasons he has amassed 1,102 catches for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns.

Would he be worth it?

When did Dungy become an agent? Harrison would be with a team if his contract demands weren't so high. Now it appears that demand might just be getting lower but it's too late IMO unless some injuries hit us. I know we don't have a great WR corps but I like the talent and I prefer to let them go through the growing pains.

Guest TerraTor
I think the Bears are pretty set on sticking with the receivers they have now. If Marvin Harrison could play anymore he would probably be with a team by now. We aren't the only team that needs receivers.

Thats sad to hear =(

I dont really care so much for harrison, hes washed up i think. But our guys are just god awful

Thats sad to hear =(

I dont really care so much for harrison, hes washed up i think. But our guys are just god awful

JA and company have been known for a stubborn streak. I have a feeling if they don't see what they want to see, desparate measures wll be taken. They have too much money and have invested too much already to let the Cutler deal be a failure. I'm simply the most worried about the D. That being said, I think the O will hold it's own as the season wears on.

If you heard" that interview , Dungy was asked about it and while he said those words he could not be less emotional or enthusiastic about it. What is he supposed to say. "Marvin to the Bears?.....No Marvin is washed up? Frankly I think Marvin Harrison in Chicago would be nothing but trouble. He is at the end of his career and was used to being served filet mignon from one of the best QB's of all time. He has won his super bowl and he has nothing to play for but a few bucks. Plus the more I read about the gun/club incident the less and less I trust him.

Me too. Maybe it is relative as Harrison plays a position with so many "characters" and stayed out of real trouble, but in the last year or so, it really just seems like a lot of stuff kept hidden is coming out. I am not just talking about the gun/club issue, but how so many question his leadership and character in the clubhouse, which I never realized was even questionable.

What's weird is that I thought, up until all of this stuff happened, that Harrison was one of the good guys.

Thats sad to hear =(

Bennett looked pretty damn good against the Giants when he snagged one off the grass and caught another diving bomb from Cutler. Oh, and Hester looked pretty damn good when he inhaled a rocket acrossed his body when Cutler was rolling out...not to mention the fact that he would have easily had a TD if Cutler had hit him when he was WAAAY behind the defense.

Bennett looked pretty damn good against the Giants when he snagged one off the grass and caught another diving bomb from Cutler. Oh, and Hester looked pretty damn good when he inhaled a rocket acrossed his body when Cutler was rolling out...not to mention the fact that he would have easily had a TD if Cutler had hit him when he was WAAAY behind the defense.

Cutler threw the ball to the spot Hester would have been at if he (Hester) didn't stop running.

Cutler threw the ball to the spot Hester would have been at if he (Hester) didn't stop running.

Since I don't know the play call, I can't say who is right. Hester did pause, but once again, I don't know what they were supposed to do. To say that Cutler threw the ball to the spot Hester "would" have been is conjecture at best.

Sorry, but no way. What play call in the world has a WR run 50 yards down field and hessitate?

@#$% happens, but I think it pretty obvious Hester simply mis-judged the ball. Hey, that isn't the end of the world. He and Cutler have time to get their timing down. Something like that doesn't happen over night. But there is no way you can put that on Cutler. He threw a good back. Hester simply misjudged it, hesitated a bit, and wasn't able to make the play.

Since I don't know the play call, I can't say who is right. Hester did pause, but once again, I don't know what they were supposed to do. To say that Cutler threw the ball to the spot Hester "would" have been is conjecture at best.