Preseason-vs-This Sunday

fudgeripple2000

Chicago

It seemed that the bears were content to run a small set of plays to build on field chemistry. I didn't notice a lot of two tight end sets or Olsen in the slot or lined up on the outside. I mention these because I see those two sets doing well against Green Bay on Sunday.

Green Bay

Going to a 3/4 defense is tough having run something different the year before. First: New personel to fit the defense means decrease in team chemistry. This helps our running game due to the changes in the middle. I know Raji looked decent in the preseason but I like our chances up the middle.

Perfect time to play green bay in green bay is the first game of the year. Cutler gives us something that green bay has never seen from us before: a quarterback with an accurate arm and a quarterback that, when the pocket collapses can either run or rollout and still throw the ball "3/4 mile" (Uncle Rico).

Chicago

It seemed that the bears were content to run a small set of plays to build on field chemistry. I didn't notice a lot of two tight end sets or Olsen in the slot or lined up on the outside. I mention these because I see those two sets doing well against Green Bay on Sunday.

Green Bay

Going to a 3/4 defense is tough having run something different the year before. First: New personel to fit the defense means decrease in team chemistry. This helps our running game due to the changes in the middle. I know Raji looked decent in the preseason but I like our chances up the middle.

Perfect time to play green bay in green bay is the first game of the year. Cutler gives us something that green bay has never seen from us before: a quarterback with an accurate arm and a quarterback that, when the pocket collapses can either run or rollout and still throw the ball "3/4 mile" (Uncle Rico).

IMO - the key to winning this game is to establish ball control on offense. Whether it be by running or short passes, we must keep the Packer offense off the field in the 1st half. I really see a heavy dose of 2-TE sets and play action. Of course, Cutler will have to hit a big play or two to soften them up.(chicken or egg)

On the other side of the ball, we must get pressure or Rodgers will have a career day against our DB's. In all likelyhood, the unit we start will not have had any game action together.

IMO - the key to winning this game is to establish ball control on offense. Whether it be by running or short passes, we must keep the Packer offense off the field in the 1st half. I really see a heavy dose of 2-TE sets and play action. Of course, Cutler will have to hit a big play or two to soften them up.(chicken or egg)

On the other side of the ball, we must get pressure or Rodgers will have a career day against our DB's. In all likelyhood, the unit we start will not have had any game action together.

IMHO the key to this game will be our running attack and special teams play. The packers will throw the ball and get their yards, but if we stop their running game we stop the Pack Now our keys to winning will be Forte making plays on the ground and Olsen catching against the new 3-4 of the Pack and our special teams giving us good feild position and the Pack bad field position. The x factor will be our WR'S if we hit a few long ones with Hester Bennett and DA we will be in the best position to win. One last factor is that we need to get the lead in the game early to take the crowd out of the game!

IMHO the key to this game will be our running attack and special teams play. The packers will throw the ball and get their yards, but if we stop their running game we stop the Pack Now our keys to winning will be Forte making plays on the ground and Olsen catching against the new 3-4 of the Pack and our special teams giving us good feild position and the Pack bad field position. The x factor will be our WR'S if we hit a few long ones with Hester Bennett and DA we will be in the best position to win. One last factor is that we need to get the lead in the game early to take the crowd out of the game!

I agree that we need to come out firing right away and take the crowd out of it. I think one of the X factors will be special teams. GB was absolutely atrocious last year on there kick off coverage and I know that unit lost at least 2 games because of that factor. Of course that factor happens to be one of our strengths. I don't think it really matters who is returning the ball. I look for cutler to try and stretch the field right away as well.

I agree that we need to come out firing right away and take the crowd out of it. I think one of the X factors will be special teams. GB was absolutely atrocious last year on there kick off coverage and I know that unit lost at least 2 games because of that factor. Of course that factor happens to be one of our strengths. I don't think it really matters who is returning the ball. I look for cutler to try and stretch the field right away as well.

Yes but we have to test the ground game first, because if that work it will be ground and pound then hit them short to middle and then deep.Then again maybe you're right start off deep to keep the ss and FS out of the box so its 7 in the box for us to block.

The key is Tommie Harris. Do I really need to say more? I don't even care if he gets to Rodgers for a sack. He has to cause mayhem in the middle, whether it's pushing a running play to the outside, or he has to hit Rodgers a few times. Our offense will be fine- it's not a pretty damn good one. The DL, especially Tommie, are the keys for Sunday.

The key is Tommie Harris. Do I really need to say more? I don't even care if he gets to Rodgers for a sack. He has to cause mayhem in the middle, whether it's pushing a running play to the outside, or he has to hit Rodgers a few times. Our offense will be fine- it's not a pretty damn good one. The DL, especially Tommie, are the keys for Sunday.

This is the correct answer.

If Tommie and the D-Line don't get pressure, Rogers will go for 300+, a couple TDs, and the Bears' O might not have the horses to keep up (yet).

This is the correct answer.

If Tommie and the D-Line don't get pressure, Rogers will go for 300+, a couple TDs, and the Bears' O might not have the horses to keep up (yet).

We all know it's true. I just pray that Harris was sandbagging it for the preseason and he'll earn his keep this year.

I think Aaron Rodgers still throws for over 300 and atleast a TD or 2, he's that good. I hate to say it but the guy can throw the ball and our defense is still suspect. Unless Zack Bowman turns into Champ Bailey and plays in all the games this season, we are going to still struggle against the pass. I still see the Bears coming out on top though.

I think Aaron Rodgers still throws for over 300 and atleast a TD or 2, he's that good. I hate to say it but the guy can throw the ball and our defense is still suspect. Unless Zack Bowman turns into Champ Bailey and plays in all the games this season, we are going to still struggle against the pass. I still see the Bears coming out on top though.

Why do you say that? He has only 4 300-yd passing games in his career, and 2 were vs the 0-16 Lions. Cutler had 8 300-yd games last year.

After watching the Cards vs. Packers game in person I'm not that worried about our offense moving the ball. The Cards ran the ball well and easily found openings in the secondary. Their TEs found lots of open space, even getting deep for several pass completions and none of them are as athletic as Olsen. The Packers brought extra pass rushers often and they got to Warner but Cutler is far more mobile than Warner, and he's much more accurate throwing on the run. What Green Bay's defense did well was force turnovers and that is the one thing we must avoid.

I agree our defensive front four must get pressure on Rodgers. Keep him to 3 step drops and the secondary can play with more confidence. If we can't do that I don't see us covering their WR very well.

Overall I expect a high scoring game one that will be determined by who loses the turnover battle.

think Aaron Rodgers still throws for over 300 and atleast a TD or 2, he's that good. I hate to say it but the guy can throw the ball and our defense is still suspect. Unless Zack Bowman turns into Champ Bailey and plays in all the games this season, we are going to still struggle against the pass. I still see the Bears coming out on top though.

Yes he can throw. My hope is that the changes in the defense (Lovie calling it, Marinelli teaching it) will provide the pressure that we need to take him out of rhythm. I agree, defense is the key. But the real advantage we have is that a 1st year defense with so little time to gel and coordinate will struggle the first few games of the season. Not to mention that their defense has little to use (a preseason where only a little of the real offense is shown) to plan for a Cutler driven bear offense.

John Clayton says the packers linebackers are really struggling with the switch to the 3-4. If you ask me, this entire matchup screams no huddle offense (something we saw out of orton a bit last year, but not as much this preseason). A no huddle forces the packers 3-4 to remain relatively vanilla in their blitzing schemes (especially with struggling LBs). In addition, with versatility of guys like Olsen and Forte to lineup anywhere on the field, you can really take advantage of personnel mismatches all over the field, as the packers likely won't have time to switch in and out of different looks. I also think Cutler is extremely proficient in this style of play.

Another packer weakness we should exploit is the NT Ryan Pickett. The guys a nice player, but you need a stud NT in the 3-4 (wilfork, williams) and Raji doesn't seem to be ready yet in GB. With a bigger guard on the left side now in Omiyale, he and Kruetz could destroy this guy, especially if we run some no huddle, leaving this guy gassed.

John Clayton says the packers linebackers are really struggling with the switch to the 3-4. If you ask me, this entire matchup screams no huddle offense (something we saw out of orton a bit last year, but not as much this preseason). A no huddle forces the packers 3-4 to remain relatively vanilla in their blitzing schemes (especially with struggling LBs). In addition, with versatility of guys like Olsen and Forte to lineup anywhere on the field, you can really take advantage of personnel mismatches all over the field, as the packers likely won't have time to switch in and out of different looks. I also think Cutler is extremely proficient in this style of play.

Another packer weakness we should exploit is the NT Ryan Pickett. The guys a nice player, but you need a stud NT in the 3-4 (wilfork, williams) and Raji doesn't seem to be ready yet in GB. With a bigger guard on the left side now in Omiyale, he and Kruetz could destroy this guy, especially if we run some no huddle, leaving this guy gassed.

Very interesting... Any thoughts on D?

/