Couple positives from the game

nfoligno

There has been a ton of critical talk from this past game, understandably, but there were a couple players who I think could warrant some positive comments.

Daniel Manning - I have ripped him up and down for some time, but he has really showed development. We saw his contributions last year as a returner and nickel. In camp, we hear he will be our starting FS, and there was a collective moan. Now I wonder though. There was a particular play that really stood out to me. I don't want to make too much from one play, but at the same time, it was the sort that gives me hope. I believe DM was playing FS, but he may have been the nickel. As much as we mix it up, its hard to tell for sure. Anyway, it is a pass play, and (I believe) Driver is lined up on the right, and runs accross and downfield. DM recognizes the route, and starts yelling to (again, I think) Payne who didn't seem to be ready for a deep route. Payne, I think due to DM, picks up Driver, but is a step behind. DM breaks, and right at the end, gets his hand up and knocks the ball down. DM showed great recognition here, solid leadership, and athleticism. Frankly, no other S on our roster could have made that play. This would have been a big completion for GB, but due to DM, nada.

Again, I don't want to make too much out of that one play, but it was a great play and after watching Payne in coverage, I really wonder if DM to FS isn't a bad idea.

Maynard - He was awesome. He saved us several times from bad field position, and was doing a good job dropping it inside the 20. Also, while our coverage unit struggled on kickoffs, Maynards kicks were not simply long, but had solid hangtime limiting GBs return potential.

Gould - Frankly, I just love having a kicker we can rely on. His kickoffs seemed deeper too, and I didn't think they looked like line drives either.

Bennett/Hester - Particularly for Bennett early, there were some struggled, but in the 2nd half, I think both of these WRs showed solid play, and give hope that we could have a better duo than many expected.

Wale - Some will say it was the weak RT, but regardless, I think Wale showed more burst and power than I have seen in some time. I also liked the way he was mixing it up. He used a lot of outside/edge rush moves, but also used swim moves to beat his man inside. I have not seen much mixing it up like that from our DEs in the last few years.

Anderson - The stat sheet doesn't show him as a standout, but I thought he was all over the place. He needs to "finish" more, but I felt he was active and made an impact. One play really stood out. He was lined up at RDE, and it was a run off the opposite edge. Grant had gotten through the DL, and frankly, had blockers and looked to be set up for more, but Anderson had run from the opposite side to level Grant from behind. Considering where Anderson began, for him to make that play showed a lot of athleticism, as well as good instincts and reaction.

Afalava - The more I see, the more I like.

There has been a ton of critical talk from this past game, understandably, but there were a couple players who I think could warrant some positive comments.

Daniel Manning - I have ripped him up and down for some time, but he has really showed development. We saw his contributions last year as a returner and nickel. In camp, we hear he will be our starting FS, and there was a collective moan. Now I wonder though. There was a particular play that really stood out to me. I don't want to make too much from one play, but at the same time, it was the sort that gives me hope. I believe DM was playing FS, but he may have been the nickel. As much as we mix it up, its hard to tell for sure. Anyway, it is a pass play, and (I believe) Driver is lined up on the right, and runs accross and downfield. DM recognizes the route, and starts yelling to (again, I think) Payne who didn't seem to be ready for a deep route. Payne, I think due to DM, picks up Driver, but is a step behind. DM breaks, and right at the end, gets his hand up and knocks the ball down. DM showed great recognition here, solid leadership, and athleticism. Frankly, no other S on our roster could have made that play. This would have been a big completion for GB, but due to DM, nada.

Again, I don't want to make too much out of that one play, but it was a great play and after watching Payne in coverage, I really wonder if DM to FS isn't a bad idea.

Maynard - He was awesome. He saved us several times from bad field position, and was doing a good job dropping it inside the 20. Also, while our coverage unit struggled on kickoffs, Maynards kicks were not simply long, but had solid hangtime limiting GBs return potential.

Gould - Frankly, I just love having a kicker we can rely on. His kickoffs seemed deeper too, and I didn't think they looked like line drives either.

Bennett/Hester - Particularly for Bennett early, there were some struggled, but in the 2nd half, I think both of these WRs showed solid play, and give hope that we could have a better duo than many expected.

Wale - Some will say it was the weak RT, but regardless, I think Wale showed more burst and power than I have seen in some time. I also liked the way he was mixing it up. He used a lot of outside/edge rush moves, but also used swim moves to beat his man inside. I have not seen much mixing it up like that from our DEs in the last few years.

Anderson - The stat sheet doesn't show him as a standout, but I thought he was all over the place. He needs to "finish" more, but I felt he was active and made an impact. One play really stood out. He was lined up at RDE, and it was a run off the opposite edge. Grant had gotten through the DL, and frankly, had blockers and looked to be set up for more, but Anderson had run from the opposite side to level Grant from behind. Considering where Anderson began, for him to make that play showed a lot of athleticism, as well as good instincts and reaction.

Afalava - The more I see, the more I like.

Agreed on all. I especially loved the safety on Rodgers. That was one heck of an athletic play. BTW - I think the lights came on for DM the last QTR of last season.

Wale and Anderson worry me about their individual work ethic. It's odd, they are both in a contract year.

Let me add, that Chris Williams looks quick and aggressive. Please don't confuse this with saying he played well. It just looks like the lights are on for this kid.

Where is all the uproar from just the other day saying how bad the WRs stunk up the joint?!?!

I agree with your assessment, and I think they'll continue to progress.

Agreed on all. I especially loved the safety on Rodgers. That was one heck of an athletic play. BTW - I think the lights came on for DM the last QTR of last season.

I think a big part is confidence, we many of us talked about last year. DM was moved around so much, and especially moved after a bad performance, that it wasn't likely he had much confidence. Due to his play as a return man, combined w/ more individual help from Lovie, his confidence really seemed up, as did his play.

I am not ready to declare DM a great FS prospect, but I will say this: (a) I have more belief today that he can play FS than I did last year, (B) I do not see another FS on the roster and © even if he does have some struggles, he is also the only S w/ the athleticism to make up for it.

Wale and Anderson worry me about their individual work ethic. It's odd, they are both in a contract year.

Why? I have never heard their work ethic questioned. Yes, they looked good, and yes, it is a contract year. But that isn't the only change/new thing. We also have a new DL coach. I have harped on this for some time. Besides Rivera, we also lost our DL coach after the SB season, when both Wale and anderson last played well. Our DL coach for the last two years is one I have been ripping early and often. Now he is gone, and replaced by someone believed to be among the best DL coaches in the game. So while the contract year may be a factor, I personally believe it is far more about the change in coaching.

Let me add, that Chris Williams looks quick and aggressive. Please don't confuse this with saying he played well. It just looks like the lights are on for this kid.

I don't know. I didn't think he was playing well, and thought much of the pressure was due to him. Frankly, if the play on the left side was not so bad, I think there would have been more discussion about Williams weak play, but due to how bad Omiyale and Pace were, Williams is flying under the radar.

For the record, at least for me, I have been talking about our "receivers" as a whole, and not specifically the WRs, nor these two.

Bennett was bad in the 1st half, but looked very different in the 2nd. It was his firt time to start, and frankly, first time to really play as he barely saw the field at the end of last season. So some early jitters were not a shock. In the 1st half though, I don't think he looked good, but do believe he played well in the 2nd half.

Knox was a player who did what I think you basically have to expect from a rookie from a DIIA school. He showed his speed and athleticism, which gave us all hope, but also showed inexperience in route running and overall knowledge of the offense. I said the day we drafted him that he was a great talent, but one that would take time and who would be inconsistent for the first few years of his career.

Clark and Olsen I think get more of the knock in the "receiver" bashing. Clark is the most senior of all our receivers, and yet said himself he did a poor job. He said at times he did what instincts told him, rather than what he was tought to do. I can recall three plays that stand out to me, where he didn't finish his route, and the results were: Int, should-be-int, missed TD.

Olsen too had a bad game. He dropped an easy one, and just didn't look sharp. I also ripped him for his blocking and overall lack of aggressive play.

Where is all the uproar from just the other day saying how bad the WRs stunk up the joint?!?!

I agree with your assessment, and I think they'll continue to progress.

Wale beat the Tackle and the RB on one of those plays that was silly. They looked like cones; go left past the tackle, then right past the RB, then smash QB.

Also, for all the WRs, they can only get better as the season goes on. Hester and Bennett may be legit 1-2's by the end of the year.

Just for reference, 4 out of the last 10 SB winners lost their first game of the season, but only 2 lost their last game of the season. Much better to be hot at the end of the year than the beginning.

Wale beat the Tackle and the RB on one of those plays that was silly. They looked like cones; go left past the tackle, then right past the RB, then smash QB.

Also, for all the WRs, they can only get better as the season goes on. Hester and Bennett may be legit 1-2's by the end of the year.

Just for reference, 4 out of the last 10 SB winners lost their first game of the season, but only 2 lost their last game of the season. Much better to be hot at the end of the year than the beginning.

There are some things that do stand out for me. Defensively, Wale's reclaimation as well as Anderson flying all over the place I think this is more a product of Marinelli showing HIS prowess as a line coach. At least I hope it's Marinelli and NOT the contract year. I also liked what I saw from our secondary aside from Vasher. I think he got his money and quit working. I don't really think he has any place in this defense. I felt like Afalava was very comfortable in his position and he will be a force by season's end. Payne has been pretty good but his blunder on the winning TD drive kind of reminded of DM on his bad days. DM however looked pretty good so maybe he and Afalava can make it happen. I know people are going to try and exploit the middle, especially now that Urlacher is out but based on what I saw the second half of the GB game, I am not too terribly worried.

Offensively, this unit was just not in sync. Turner's mistake from the get go. Cutler had a horrid night and was pressing way way too much and our receivers, both WR and TEs looked like they hadn't played a single down with Cutler in the first half. Bennett and Knox redeemed themselves in the 2nd half and i thought hester did everything that was asked of him. Olsen shit the bed as did Clark. Those guys need to pick it up. I think if Cutler and our WRs can get on the same page, this could be a special offense. I know Olsen will come around but he may not be the all world TE many of us think he is. Davis needs to see the field more and will now that Clark is hurt. Back to Turner, his play calling in certain situations continues to baffle. Why no play action at the 5 yd line? I'm not sure what to make of this o line. Pace and Omiyale looked bad the last 2 games. Kruetz looks slow and if he's gonna pull, he needs to get the freakin lead out or maybe we need to give the youngster a shot.

All in all, I think we're better than the national media believes we are. They think this defense cannot possibly function without Mike Brown, Tommie Harris and Brian Urlacher but I believe we all know differently. Mike Brown hasn't been a factor in this defense for a few years. Tommie Harris, while getting all the national attention is NOT they key to this defense. The collective defensive line of the Bears is the key and Marinelli has them right where he wants them. They all said Brian Urlacher was overrated anyway so why should we be so much worse off with the LB corp we have. I think we have better depth than anyone in the league at LB and Pisa won't be out that long so we'll be fine. The only concern i have is ST coverage unit. They seemed to be bunched up all night. #87 got away from us more than he should have and the Packers had pretty good starting field position.

All in all, I am not giving anyone a pass. I still expect a playoff team and don't buy for a minute that we can't be one.

Jay Cutler has been widely criticized following the first four-interception game of his NFL career Sunday night in Green Bay. But the Bears quarterback helped his young wide receivers post big numbers in the loss to the Packers.

Earl Bennett (7 receptions for 66 yards), Devin Hester (4-90) and Johnny Knox (2-82) combined for 238 yards, the most by Bears wide receivers in a game since Nov. 24, 2002 when Marty Booker (10-157), Dez White (8-106), Ahmad Merritt (3-24) and Marcus Robinson (1-3) generated 290 yards in a 20-17 overtime win over the Lions.

Really...

Wow. Nice perspective... I've got to imagine those numbers will be increasing...

Jay Cutler has been widely criticized following the first four-interception game of his NFL career Sunday night in Green Bay. But the Bears quarterback helped his young wide receivers post big numbers in the loss to the Packers.

Earl Bennett (7 receptions for 66 yards), Devin Hester (4-90) and Johnny Knox (2-82) combined for 238 yards, the most by Bears wide receivers in a game since Nov. 24, 2002 when Marty Booker (10-157), Dez White (8-106), Ahmad Merritt (3-24) and Marcus Robinson (1-3) generated 290 yards in a 20-17 overtime win over the Lions.

Really...

BigDaddy, I definitely agree with you on the defense; I thought Vasher turned in the only poor performance of the game. Everybody else, by and large, lived up to expectations. Even the backup linebackers looked decent. I have to disagree on one point, though:

Olsen shit the bed as did Clark. Those guys need to pick it up. I think if Cutler and our WRs can get on the same page, this could be a special offense. I know Olsen will come around but he may not be the all world TE many of us think he is.

To be fair, Green Bay was playing a 2-4-5 nickel on almost every pass play, mainly so they could consistently keep two guys on Greg Olsen. To make things worse, one of the two was always Charles Woodson. If you're a TE and you're getting shadowed by a team's best corner all night, plus another DB/LB thrown in for good measure, you're not going to light it up.

Also, if Cutler and the receivers can get on the same page consistently, teams aren't going to be able to do that to Olsen. Even with all the misfires between Cutler and the wideouts, Hester had a career-high game in receiving yards (so did Bennett and Knox, but that doesn't really count) and a lot of that was the price Green Bay paid for taking away Olsen. As Cutler works things out with the receivers, that price is going to get steeper and steeper, and eventually teams will have to start pulling coverage off Olsen. Then I think we'll see him make some of those plays we saw in training camp.

BigDaddy, I definitely agree with you on the defense; I thought Vasher turned in the only poor performance of the game. Everybody else, by and large, lived up to expectations. Even the backup linebackers looked decent. I have to disagree on one point, though:

To be fair, Green Bay was playing a 2-4-5 nickel on almost every pass play, mainly so they could consistently keep two guys on Greg Olsen. To make things worse, one of the two was always Charles Woodson. If you're a TE and you're getting shadowed by a team's best corner all night, plus another DB/LB thrown in for good measure, you're not going to light it up.

Also, if Cutler and the receivers can get on the same page consistently, teams aren't going to be able to do that to Olsen. Even with all the misfires between Cutler and the wideouts, Hester had a career-high game in receiving yards (so did Bennett and Knox, but that doesn't really count) and a lot of that was the price Green Bay paid for taking away Olsen. As Cutler works things out with the receivers, that price is going to get steeper and steeper, and eventually teams will have to start pulling coverage off Olsen. Then I think we'll see him make some of those plays we saw in training camp.

Huuummmm it would just stand to reason if your #1 TE is being taken out of the game with a double team and WR are being guarded.....where is the NO#1 WR on the field (you know #22 at RB)doing in the passing game??? Turner you have got to get those short passes and dump offs going..not to mention the screens to kill the blitz happy Steelers.

Huuummmm it would just stand to reason if your #1 TE is being taken out of the game with a double team and WR are being guarded.....where is the NO#1 WR on the field (you know #22 at RB)doing in the passing game??? Turner you have got to get those short passes and dump offs going..not to mention the screens to kill the blitz happy Steelers.

My point, really, was that the wideouts weren't being guarded. I mean, Bennett had seven catches, and both Hester and Knox got behind their defenders in single coverage. If the Steelers play the pass the way the Packers did, zeroing in on Olsen, I think we just keep going to the wideouts until they adjust. It's been posted before, but the Bears' receivers haven't had that many yards in a game since 2002. I'll take that every week, as long as the interceptions stop.

You're right about Forte, though. I think Cutler's still figuring out what he can do in the passing game. There have been some bright spots (the TD he threw to Forte in Denver comes to mind) but it's not like Orton, who threw to Forte about five times a game. That'll come in time, I think: Forte's too good a receiver not to feature heavily in the passing game.

To be fair, Cutler was under so much pressure early that the RB was kept in to block an awful lot. Not saying there weren't opportunities to get him the ball, but not as many as you might think...