Anyone else sick of "Chalk Talk" Larry Mayer on Chicago Bears.com??

Daventry

Anyone else tired of Chalk Talk? I know it should be obvious that he works for the Bears etc, but he is Lovie-like in his political non-speak drivel week after week....the latest example:

" know that there have been numerous theories on why the Bears are struggling offensively, but would you agree that inconsistency along the offensive line may be the culprit as it all starts with the guys up front?

Chris

Highland, New York

The offensive line certainly hasn’t performed up to expectations, but I don’t see how you can single out five players when there are 11 on the field. Every player and coach on the Bears offense must share the blame for a unit that has produced only one touchdown in the last two games. "

Come on.....why not just say something like..."Yes, we do suck in several areas on offense, but the OLine suck SO BAD that they single handedly ensure we have little to no chance for success. These guys, and the people who train and hire them, all need to take some responsibility for likely being one of the bottom 3 O Lines in football."

F^^k Chalk Talk and Chicago Bears.com, I feel like I am reading a politician website when I look at it....

I am glad I don't waste my time with it, because anyone who says the #1 problem is not the OL is someone who hasn't watched the games, is a liar, is willfully ignorant, or is a complete idiot.

Stopped reading Mayer some time ago. He's the staff's bag guy and just spouts the same nonsense as Lovie, albeit with a BIT more depth.

Guest TerraTor
Exactly. Further, if he starts ripping on the Bears he will be looking for another job. Larry may be a suck up but he's no dummy. ;)

Peace :dabears

Ya he can never actually voice his opinion. But in actuality I would like to beat up everyone on the bears staff

Exactly. Further, if he starts ripping on the Bears he will be looking for another job. Larry may be a suck up but he's no dummy. ;)

Yeah, I understand that and also understand we all need to keep our jobs...but as a fan the damned column seems an extension of the BS coming out of Lovie's mouth all of the time. I understand the need to be politically careful, but geez, what a load of complete bollocks is coming out of his mouth! I don't know that I like, or agree with, an age where noone can seem to have an opinion or view.

I finally was able to watch the Philly and 49ers games, and now I see why so many here were saying we had ordinary talent. I think Peanut was the only player who stood out, some were solid, lots were just average or below. Cutler is not playing very well....another lost season, and no draft picks in the first 2 rounds. I hope FA brings some help on the O Line...

Yeah, I understand that and also understand we all need to keep our jobs...but as a fan the damned column seems an extension of the BS coming out of Lovie's mouth all of the time. I understand the need to be politically careful, but geez, what a load of complete bollocks is coming out of his mouth! I don't know that I like, or agree with, an age where noone can seem to have an opinion or view.

I finally was able to watch the Philly and 49ers games, and now I see why so many here were saying we had ordinary talent. I think Peanut was the only player who stood out, some were solid, lots were just average or below. Cutler is not playing very well....another lost season, and no draft picks in the first 2 rounds. I hope FA brings some help on the O Line...

You know it's basically Bears PR fluff. Stop reading it then.

I really don't get the hate here. It is the Bears Web site. Do you think they are going to pay to have an employee totally rip the team? The site is a fluff site in general, both in the mentioned Q&A, as well as articles. It is nice reading at times for little stories, but you should never expect anything more than PR from any aspect of this site.

Also, while Larry is toting the line, it isn't like he is saying the OL is just fine. He is, in a very PC way, saying the OL is a problem, but also saying they are not the only problem, which I think is true. Further, saying the entire O is a problem is in fact being critical, which is not the norm for a paid Bears employee.

What I have a greater problem w/ is Pompeii of the Trib, who says he watches film and tries to argue our OL is not nearly the problem some make out. He talks about the lack of sacks, and implies if the OL was so bad, we would not rank so low in the league in terms of giving up sacks, rather than point out that Cutler is one of the more mobile QBs in the game and bails out the OL. Then he also says Cutler takes fewer hits, but doesn't discuss how much higher that number would be if (a) Cutler were not so mobile and (B) how many of Cutler's picks happened due to pressure.

Pompeii tries to look at the OL by using sacks and hits, but what I found surprising was the lack of any mention of QB hurries, which is a far greater indicator of the OL. And if he is truly watching the tape and breaking things down, how about showing how many plays Cutler has to move around to avoid pressure, compared to all the times we watch opposing QBs sip a cup of tea in the pocket for what feels like minutes.

I don't bash Meyer because he is toting a line he is paid to do, but what excuse is there for those in the media who are not paid by the team.

Anyone else tired of Chalk Talk? I know it should be obvious that he works for the Bears etc, but he is Lovie-like in his political non-speak drivel week after week....the latest example:

" know that there have been numerous theories on why the Bears are struggling offensively, but would you agree that inconsistency along the offensive line may be the culprit as it all starts with the guys up front?

Chris

Highland, New York

The offensive line certainly hasn’t performed up to expectations, but I don’t see how you can single out five players when there are 11 on the field. Every player and coach on the Bears offense must share the blame for a unit that has produced only one touchdown in the last two games. "

Come on.....why not just say something like..."Yes, we do suck in several areas on offense, but the OLine suck SO BAD that they single handedly ensure we have little to no chance for success. These guys, and the people who train and hire them, all need to take some responsibility for likely being one of the bottom 3 O Lines in football."

F^^k Chalk Talk and Chicago Bears.com, I feel like I am reading a politician website when I look at it....

So true!

I used to like Pompei. He seemed objective for the longest time.

Now he seems like he's getting his paychecks enhanced by the McCaskey's...

I really don't get the hate here. It is the Bears Web site. Do you think they are going to pay to have an employee totally rip the team? The site is a fluff site in general, both in the mentioned Q&A, as well as articles. It is nice reading at times for little stories, but you should never expect anything more than PR from any aspect of this site.

Also, while Larry is toting the line, it isn't like he is saying the OL is just fine. He is, in a very PC way, saying the OL is a problem, but also saying they are not the only problem, which I think is true. Further, saying the entire O is a problem is in fact being critical, which is not the norm for a paid Bears employee.

What I have a greater problem w/ is Pompeii of the Trib, who says he watches film and tries to argue our OL is not nearly the problem some make out. He talks about the lack of sacks, and implies if the OL was so bad, we would not rank so low in the league in terms of giving up sacks, rather than point out that Cutler is one of the more mobile QBs in the game and bails out the OL. Then he also says Cutler takes fewer hits, but doesn't discuss how much higher that number would be if (a) Cutler were not so mobile and (B) how many of Cutler's picks happened due to pressure.

Pompeii tries to look at the OL by using sacks and hits, but what I found surprising was the lack of any mention of QB hurries, which is a far greater indicator of the OL. And if he is truly watching the tape and breaking things down, how about showing how many plays Cutler has to move around to avoid pressure, compared to all the times we watch opposing QBs sip a cup of tea in the pocket for what feels like minutes.

I don't bash Meyer because he is toting a line he is paid to do, but what excuse is there for those in the media who are not paid by the team.

I cannot understand how anyone could "not get the hate." I understand that it is the Bears site, but one would think that a section like that could be left to be somewhat truthful and straightforward...and if not, then I guess we can all just accept "Lovie speak," which is similiar to what you see when you watch any politician talk. I don't think it does the Bears organisation any favors to constantly refuse to acknowledge, or at the very least minimise, problems. I do not suggest "ripping the team," I suggest that an honest acknowledgement of problem areas would go a long way to making me, and likely many others, feel happier, and I don't think that is too much to ask. I guess I will have to accept what it is, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

As far as the O Line not being the only problem, that is true, but is there another area of the team that is a bigger problem? We may have problems in some other areas, but for my money the O Line is no question the number one reason we suck!

I cannot understand how anyone could "not get the hate." I understand that it is the Bears site, but one would think that a section like that could be left to be somewhat truthful and straightforward...and if not, then I guess we can all just accept "Lovie speak," which is similiar to what you see when you watch any politician talk. I don't think it does the Bears organisation any favors to constantly refuse to acknowledge, or at the very least minimise, problems. I do not suggest "ripping the team," I suggest that an honest acknowledgement of problem areas would go a long way to making me, and likely many others, feel happier, and I don't think that is too much to ask. I guess I will have to accept what it is, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

You mention politician talk. Take that to another level. If you went to President Obama's web site, a site run and supported by Obama and his staff, would you expect honest assessment? Would you expect one of the site writers to question Obama's decisions? Hell no.

If you want more honest assessments, you do not use a source paid for by that which you want to assess. You go there expecting to read the fluff pieces. It isn't just that way w/ the Bears, or even sports. I don't know who you work for, but if you work for a company that has a web site, how often do you think you will find articles on that web site which question or criticize decisions or moves made by your company. It just doesn't happen. If it did happen, that writer would likely be fired and the article would disappear from the site. Just the way it is.

As far as the O Line not being the only problem, that is true, but is there another area of the team that is a bigger problem? We may have problems in some other areas, but for my money the O Line is no question the number one reason we suck!

Any who have read my posts knows how I feel about this. I have screamed (w/ Jason in particular) for OL help for years. I argued years ago 2 #1s was worth it for Walter Jones. I argued Faneca was worth the very high contract dollars. I agree 100% that our OL is our greatest problem, and that it is our greatest need moving forward, and the 2nd need is not even close. In fact, I would argue OL is our #1, #2 and #3 top needs.

With that said, I simply would not agree that all our problems on offense are solely due to the OL. No question OL is far and above the rest, but lets not pretend the rest are playing well if not for the play of the OL. And while the OL makes all playcalls very tough, I have seen Turner do little to even try and compensate.

I liked Pompei when he was covering the draft for SportingNews, or at least I did when it was free coverage. I stopped reading him when they wanted money for their coverage. But really since he joined the Trib, his job seems to be the PR man for the Bears.

Honestly, there are some writers who are such devils advocates that you really have to think their job description is to criticizie and antagonize fans. Even when things are going well, these writers find something negative to talk about. Pompei seems like the opposite, and I honestly wonder if that isn't his job.

How else do you explain anyone who defends this OL. They are called out by every announcer during games, many of which are former NFL guys. They are called out by most every analyst. But there is Pompei, defending the group and trying to say they are not that bad. Hugh?

So true!

I used to like Pompei. He seemed objective for the longest time.

Now he seems like he's getting his paychecks enhanced by the McCaskey's...

You mention politician talk. Take that to another level. If you went to President Obama's web site, a site run and supported by Obama and his staff, would you expect honest assessment? Would you expect one of the site writers to question Obama's decisions? Hell no.

If you want more honest assessments, you do not use a source paid for by that which you want to assess. You go there expecting to read the fluff pieces. It isn't just that way w/ the Bears, or even sports. I don't know who you work for, but if you work for a company that has a web site, how often do you think you will find articles on that web site which question or criticize decisions or moves made by your company. It just doesn't happen. If it did happen, that writer would likely be fired and the article would disappear from the site. Just the way it is.

Any who have read my posts knows how I feel about this. I have screamed (w/ Jason in particular) for OL help for years. I argued years ago 2 #1s was worth it for Walter Jones. I argued Faneca was worth the very high contract dollars. I agree 100% that our OL is our greatest problem, and that it is our greatest need moving forward, and the 2nd need is not even close. In fact, I would argue OL is our #1, #2 and #3 top needs.

With that said, I simply would not agree that all our problems on offense are solely due to the OL. No question OL is far and above the rest, but lets not pretend the rest are playing well if not for the play of the OL. And while the OL makes all playcalls very tough, I have seen Turner do little to even try and compensate.

At the risk of beating a dying horse to death, I will explain myself further.

I do not expect the Bears to be akin to a politican, be that Obama or whomever. However, if I went to any politicians website, and they refused to address issues at any level, as Chalk Talk has recently, and ignored what is blatantly obvious, then yes I would think it was crap and inappropriate. At the end of the day, it is the supporters/fans who have to be happy with the site otherwise the site will soon not exist. I don't expect a outspoken negative view, but neither do I expect a complete whitewash. And, a whitewash makes me feel like not supporting the Bears organisation....

It sounds like you have similiar views to mine regarding the OLine, but if you listen to Chalk Talk they are no more a problem than any other member of the offence....which is complete sh£t! They are the weakest single link and it is clear.

So, that is my beef, and I think I have a right to it. For all those who want to say "just don't read it" or other similiar helpful and insightful comments, don't bother responding, just as you have recommended that I not comment about Chalk Talk, lol....

At the risk of beating a dying horse to death, I will explain myself further.

I do not expect the Bears to be akin to a politican, be that Obama or whomever. However, if I went to any politicians website, and they refused to address issues at any level, as Chalk Talk has recently, and ignored what is blatantly obvious, then yes I would think it was crap and inappropriate. At the end of the day, it is the supporters/fans who have to be happy with the site otherwise the site will soon not exist. I don't expect a outspoken negative view, but neither do I expect a complete whitewash. And, a whitewash makes me feel like not supporting the Bears organisation....

It sounds like you have similiar views to mine regarding the OLine, but if you listen to Chalk Talk they are no more a problem than any other member of the offence....which is complete sh£t! They are the weakest single link and it is clear.

So, that is my beef, and I think I have a right to it. For all those who want to say "just don't read it" or other similiar helpful and insightful comments, don't bother responding, just as you have recommended that I not comment about Chalk Talk, lol....

Well, that was my recommendation and I will bother responding with a slight change. Here is what I do - If I read something or here something that I feel is BS and the BS never changes, I stop reading or listening to it. Please continue to do whatever you want. ;)