Yet another reason this coaching staff....

Connorbear

This staff is simply inept. They want to use Payne because he may help more against the run w/ St.L really only having S.Jackson as an offensive weapon. I get the thinking here, but (a) St.L sucks. If you really have to tweak to this extent to matchup w/ Stl, you are worse than you realize, (B) priority should be on development, yet this is the sort of move that goes in the opposite direction.

Frankly, at this point, we probably should just throw Graham out there to FS. That I thought was the intended projection by this staff for him, but he was viewed as lacking experience and thus didn't start. But if the idea is Graham to FS, play him there. Don't continue to play someone who's only future (best case) is at SS.

Also to note what was discussed at the end of the article about Gilbert. Angelo said he is ready to go, and gives the impression he should play. It is then mentioned though he could be left out due to numbers, as we only dress 7 or 8 DL.

If that is the case, while this may not be popular, I think I might have to make Idonije or Adams inactive. Hate to do that, as both are popular players around here. I personally like Adams a lot. But I don't think there is a whole lot more developing for eitehr of these two. I am not sure how great of a future either has w/ the team. With the last five games, i think we would be better served getting Gilbert reps and seeing what he can do more than whatever contribution we get from Idonije or Adams.

Personally, I think I would make Idonije inactive, as he and Gilbert are too similar while Adams is basically the only run stuffing DT we have.

Many are going to say we should just make Harris inactive. There is a bit of logic there as you can say he is playing hurt, and you are just shutting him down. On the other hand, two reasons I would keep him active:

(a) He has actually played a lot better the last few weeks, and if there is any thought of moving him in the offseason, your only chance of getting ANY value is if he finishes the year strong. If we deactivate him, you may as well cut him. His value is gone.

(B) As said, he has been playing better, which gives you a better potential look at the 2nd DT, as well as the DEs. When Harris is disruptive, he puts the rest of the DL in position to make plays. He isn't as disruptive as he once was, but is more so than any other on our DL. I simply feel w/ him in there, the other DL have more potential to show off and develop. Further, if we rotate him more, we may get more out of him.

has got to go. Moving Manning yet again. Steltz getting most of the reps at FS in the offseason and now is inactive. This coaching staff is done.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...earnt04.article

Peace :dabears

We have a better chance of curing cancer than figuring out what is going in in the airspace between the ears of this staff...

They must be throwing darts to determine where Manning plays each week.

Gilbert has been impressive, but we have too many linemen, so he sits? That makes sense.

Do I have this understood correctly: Gilbert is impressive in practice yet we're not sure if he can replace the unimpressive DTs on the active roster?

Sounds about right, though it is not coaches who are saying he is doing well in practice. I can't tell, but it is either Angelo or Brown (I assume Alex) who said that he practices well and looks good.

I like what Brown said. He is a rookie. If he doesn't get onto the field this year, he will be a rookie next year too. Get him out there.

Honestly, I fear the whole situation w/ Gilbert. When our scouts looked at him, and liked him, what position did they project him at? DE or DT? Seems like our staff has thought of him as yet another one of those versatile guys who can play anywhere, but does a player ever really develop to his full potential when constantly shuffled around?

Remember Russell Davis, years ago. DT in college who we drafted to play DE. Failed rookie year at DE, then we moved him inside, never gave him a chance, and cut him in his 2nd year. Went on to Az and played very well.

While a lesser pure talent, we have shuffled Idonije around so damn much. Seems like every offseason we are asking him to add or drop 30+lbs. I really hope we don't screw around w/ Gilbert that way.