Incognito?

'TD'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4745760

Rams release veteran guard Incognito

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams released Richie Incognito on Tuesday, two days after coach Steve Spagnuolo benched the temperamental offensive guard for the second half of a loss at Tennessee.

"As with all other personnel moves, this is what we felt was in the best interest of the team at this time," Spagnuolo said in a statement. "We appreciate Richie's efforts and we wish him the very best."

Incognito

Incognito

A team spokesman said Spagnuolo would have more to say about the move Wednesday.

The Rams have other problems: Their other guard, Jacob Bell, is likely out for the rest of the season with a torn hamstring.

Incognito is a five-year veteran and has spent his entire career with the Rams after being drafted in the third round in 2005. He has frequently landed in trouble for playing long after the whistle and was named the dirtiest player in the NFL earlier this year by The Sporting News.

Incognito was benched after drawing two personal foul penalties for head-butting opponents in the first half on Sunday and then watched the second half from the bench with a poncho over his head. He was also yanked in the opener at Seattle after being whistled for two personal fouls.

The Rams (1-12) did their best to encourage Incognito, even naming him a weekly captain for one game in mid-October.

"I like Richie, I do. I'm trying to help," Spagnuolo said after Sunday's game. "I'm just trying to help."

Rookie quarterback Keith Null, who made his NFL debut as the starter last week, wouldn't say what aggravated Incognito against the Titans.

"I'm not going to go down that road with him and talk about that," Null said. "That's for you to ask him and him to deal with."

The Titans game was Incognito's second after missing four games with a sprained ligament in his right foot. He has played in 44 NFL games, all starts, in a career dotted with anger management issues dating to college when he was kicked off the team at Nebraska.

Before returning to the lineup, Incognito said if he were a gentlemanly lineman he'd probably be out of the NFL or perhaps playing for former Rams coach Jim Haslett in the United Football League. He didn't mind the "dirtiest player" recognition, noting that other players couldn't keep up with his "intensity level."

Last season, Incognito criticized the team's dwindling fan base, made an obscene gesture to a TV cameraman during practice and encouraged hecklers by cupping his hands to his ears while leaving the field after a loss.

Seahawks players criticized Incognito before a game in 2008, accusing him of jumping late onto piles, twisting ankles and scratching necks.

"You know, like the FBI's 20 Most Wanted? Yeah, he'd be on that list," Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson said.

Incognito was All-Big 12 as a sophomore offensive tackle at Nebraska in 2003 but was suspended for repeated violations of team rules before the 2004 season and subsequently dismissed at Oregon later that year after attempting to transfer.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Very tempted...

Besides being crazy...is there any other downfall?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4745760

Rams release veteran guard Incognito

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams released Richie Incognito on Tuesday, two days after coach Steve Spagnuolo benched the temperamental offensive guard for the second half of a loss at Tennessee.

"As with all other personnel moves, this is what we felt was in the best interest of the team at this time," Spagnuolo said in a statement. "We appreciate Richie's efforts and we wish him the very best."

Incognito

Incognito

A team spokesman said Spagnuolo would have more to say about the move Wednesday.

The Rams have other problems: Their other guard, Jacob Bell, is likely out for the rest of the season with a torn hamstring.

Incognito is a five-year veteran and has spent his entire career with the Rams after being drafted in the third round in 2005. He has frequently landed in trouble for playing long after the whistle and was named the dirtiest player in the NFL earlier this year by The Sporting News.

Incognito was benched after drawing two personal foul penalties for head-butting opponents in the first half on Sunday and then watched the second half from the bench with a poncho over his head. He was also yanked in the opener at Seattle after being whistled for two personal fouls.

The Rams (1-12) did their best to encourage Incognito, even naming him a weekly captain for one game in mid-October.

"I like Richie, I do. I'm trying to help," Spagnuolo said after Sunday's game. "I'm just trying to help."

Rookie quarterback Keith Null, who made his NFL debut as the starter last week, wouldn't say what aggravated Incognito against the Titans.

"I'm not going to go down that road with him and talk about that," Null said. "That's for you to ask him and him to deal with."

The Titans game was Incognito's second after missing four games with a sprained ligament in his right foot. He has played in 44 NFL games, all starts, in a career dotted with anger management issues dating to college when he was kicked off the team at Nebraska.

Before returning to the lineup, Incognito said if he were a gentlemanly lineman he'd probably be out of the NFL or perhaps playing for former Rams coach Jim Haslett in the United Football League. He didn't mind the "dirtiest player" recognition, noting that other players couldn't keep up with his "intensity level."

Last season, Incognito criticized the team's dwindling fan base, made an obscene gesture to a TV cameraman during practice and encouraged hecklers by cupping his hands to his ears while leaving the field after a loss.

Seahawks players criticized Incognito before a game in 2008, accusing him of jumping late onto piles, twisting ankles and scratching necks.

"You know, like the FBI's 20 Most Wanted? Yeah, he'd be on that list," Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson said.

Incognito was All-Big 12 as a sophomore offensive tackle at Nebraska in 2003 but was suspended for repeated violations of team rules before the 2004 season and subsequently dismissed at Oregon later that year after attempting to transfer.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

no way in hell we even look at him....does this sound like an Angelo type of guy....no....Could Lovie even handle someone with that kind of intensity...no

They better pick him up. Kreutz played his best when he was crazy. I think Angelo picked up Colombo because he was considered a mean dirty player. Turns out he was-ask T Harris. Those are exactly the type of guys this teams needs.

No way we take a chance on this guy. He plays with more than a "mean streak." It's not like Kreutz or Colombo - this guy gets called for TONS of personal fouls, and that hurts his team. He got cut because he got called for TWO headbutts in a single quarter, then popped off at Spagnuolo on the sidelines. There was a game against the Redskins where he got called for three fouls: a major facemask, an illegal chop block, and repeated verbal abuse of an official (for calling him on the first two.) He's got some ability, but when his temper gets away from him, he's a train wreck. The difference between a nasty player like Kreutz and a guy like Incognito is that Kreutz keeps it under control and doesn't let it hurt his team.

I'm all for going after a guy like Trueblood from the Bucs or Dahl/Clabo from the Falcons: nasty blue-collar guys who play through the whistle. Those guys don't make any friends among d-linemen, but they're not like Incognito - he plays out of control. He's played in 44 games and he's been called for at least a dozen personal fouls. On top of that, he's got some relatively major knee problems: he's only played ONE full season, in 2006. He missed all of 2005 and most of 2007. As bad as the Bears could use a guard, I'd much rather play Beekman at LG until we can get somebody in the draft.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I'd be pissed off too if I had to live in St. Louis!

No way we take a chance on this guy. He plays with more than a "mean streak." It's not like Kreutz or Colombo - this guy gets called for TONS of personal fouls, and that hurts his team. He got cut because he got called for TWO headbutts in a single quarter, then popped off at Spagnuolo on the sidelines. There was a game against the Redskins where he got called for three fouls: a major facemask, an illegal chop block, and repeated verbal abuse of an official (for calling him on the first two.) He's got some ability, but when his temper gets away from him, he's a train wreck. The difference between a nasty player like Kreutz and a guy like Incognito is that Kreutz keeps it under control and doesn't let it hurt his team.

I'm all for going after a guy like Trueblood from the Bucs or Dahl/Clabo from the Falcons: nasty blue-collar guys who play through the whistle. Those guys don't make any friends among d-linemen, but they're not like Incognito - he plays out of control. He's played in 44 games and he's been called for at least a dozen personal fouls. On top of that, he's got some relatively major knee problems: he's only played ONE full season, in 2006. He missed all of 2005 and most of 2007. As bad as the Bears could use a guard, I'd much rather play Beekman at LG until we can get somebody in the draft.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I'd be pissed off too if I had to live in St. Louis!

Nah, his anger issues go back to college - he got benched and then eventually kicked out for his outbursts, both on- and off-field. I mean, the dude has a ton of physical ability, but he's got major anger problems. It's not like no one has ever gotten those under control before: Haynesworth had to do some anger management after he curbstomped Andre Gurode, and he hired a special coach to work with him on controlling his anger on the field and keeping his technique legal. That was a pretty serious approach to the problem, but it seems to have worked. Between his knee and his out-of-control play, though, I'd say Incognito's probably not worth the risk.

I was trying to be funny! Apparently unsuccessfully so!

Agreed, probably not worth the risk...but maybe if we get the likes of a Cowher...it may be someone that can actually mentor and help.

Nah, his anger issues go back to college - he got benched and then eventually kicked out for his outbursts, both on- and off-field. I mean, the dude has a ton of physical ability, but he's got major anger problems. It's not like no one has ever gotten those under control before: Haynesworth had to do some anger management after he curbstomped Andre Gurode, and he hired a special coach to work with him on controlling his anger on the field and keeping his technique legal. That was a pretty serious approach to the problem, but it seems to have worked. Between his knee and his out-of-control play, though, I'd say Incognito's probably not worth the risk.

Just announced on NFL Network he went to Buffalo Bills.

Darn, here I was envisioning Kreutz at Center with Incognito and Joe Runyan (who was a FA not long ago) on one side with Williams and Garza on the other. That one side alone would be scary for sure, if not physically then psychologically. Of course there would be about 200 yards in penalties from just the OL by itself each game but Oh well....