New WR Problem?

fudgeripple2000

With the night that Aroshomadou had tonight and how much Cutler likes him, is it safe to say that going forward he has a good chance at being our #1 reciever? If that is the case then will our WR core going into next season be:

#1=DA

#2=Bennett

#3=Knox

#4=Hester

Right away I know Hester led the team in receptions but most of those were bubble screens and quick hits designed to get him running in space. Hester is not Steve Smith. I want him to be but after watching how good Knox/Bennett/Manning did on special teams this year, which is what caused this team to try and transition him, I feel that we should move him to spot duty on WR and get him back to what got him to the pro bowl. Return kicks and punts. The major negative in this is that you have a demoted player pro bowler to deal with.

With the night that Aroshomadou had tonight and how much Cutler likes him, is it safe to say that going forward he has a good chance at being our #1 reciever? If that is the case then will our WR core going into next season be:

#1=DA

#2=Bennett

#3=Knox

#4=Hester

Right away I know Hester led the team in receptions but most of those were bubble screens and quick hits designed to get him running in space. Hester is not Steve Smith. I want him to be but after watching how good Knox/Bennett/Manning did on special teams this year, which is what caused this team to try and transition him, I feel that we should move him to spot duty on WR and get him back to what got him to the pro bowl. Return kicks and punts. The major negative in this is that you have a demoted player pro bowler to deal with.

That is yet another reason we need a new coaching staff. Someone needs to have the balls to tell Hester this is how it will be going forward (contract be damned).

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor
That is yet another reason we need a new coaching staff. Someone needs to have the balls to tell Hester this is how it will be going forward (contract be damned).

Im thinking we get a true WR in the offseason. Hester will go back to the position where actually contributed...

I think Hester is best suited for a slot receiver role like the way the Patriots use Wes Welker. The thing is, we have a bunch of good 2/3 receivers but no true #1. If you're looking to the free agent market, the only top WR available is going to be Brandon Marshall and I suppose Vincent Jackson. I'd love to bring Marshall in, line him up beside Aromashodu, and have Bennett and Knox as your slot 3/4 receivers. That gives you the opportunity to possibly trade Hester for a much-needed pick or for another player (S, OL, CB)?

I agree that we may have a number 1 receiver in Aroshomadou however, it may be better to bring in an established number 1 like Marshall and help Aroshomadou develop more at number 2. If not Marshall or Vincent, let Cutler and Aroshomadou develop even more together, Bennett needs to show more of what worked well with Cutler at Vandy and see how the new coaching staff wants to use Knox and maybe still keep Hester as a number 4. I truly have never thought of Hester as a legitimate #1 and agree that he either goes back to returns and situational receiving or trade him for someone who may be able to better help this team at this point via the draft or FA for any of the other glaring holes on this team that need to be addressed.

Marshall and Vincent Jackson are great WRs, but will cost huge bucks. If we want to help Cutler, spend money on the OL.

Yea, it's great to think about spending money everywhere, but we all know the reality. At best, we may spend big on two players, then middle or the road or lower on the rest. Besides OL, don't forget we have big needs at DE, DT, CB and FS.

I agree that we may have a number 1 receiver in Aroshomadou however, it may be better to bring in an established number 1 like Marshall and help Aroshomadou develop more at number 2. If not Marshall or Vincent, let Cutler and Aroshomadou develop even more together, Bennett needs to show more of what worked well with Cutler at Vandy and see how the new coaching staff wants to use Knox and maybe still keep Hester as a number 4. I truly have never thought of Hester as a legitimate #1 and agree that he either goes back to returns and situational receiving or trade him for someone who may be able to better help this team at this point via the draft or FA for any of the other glaring holes on this team that need to be addressed.

I think Hester is best suited for a slot receiver role like the way the Patriots use Wes Welker. The thing is, we have a bunch of good 2/3 receivers but no true #1. If you're looking to the free agent market, the only top WR available is going to be Brandon Marshall and I suppose Vincent Jackson. I'd love to bring Marshall in, line him up beside Aromashodu, and have Bennett and Knox as your slot 3/4 receivers. That gives you the opportunity to possibly trade Hester for a much-needed pick or for another player (S, OL, CB)?

That's basically what I had in mind. I could see Aromashodu become a #1 receiver or a #2 receiver if we can get Marshall. I don't see how we can just make Knox disappear after the year he had this year. He reminds me alot of Desean Jackson without the cockiness. He could also become a great #1 #2 or #3 receiver. He has alot of potential but I think right now he's a perfect fit as our slot receiver. I think we should just make Hester a PR/KR only. He's not a bad receiver but he's not a #1 and we have D.A and Knox out there that are going to need playing time and they have more potential than Hester does at WR.

One thing I'd like to point out...WR's can take a long, long time to develop, even in a good system with a good offensive coach. Look at Vincent Jackson's stats, for example. Catches by year for him:

68 (1 game remaining)

It took him 4 years to become a legit #2 receiving threat and 5 to become a legit home run hitter, and that was on a team with Rivers, Tomlinson, Norv Turner coaching the offense, Gates drawing coverage, and a constant supply of other receivers coming through (i.e. Chambers, etc.) trying to fill that #1 receiver role.

IMO, WR is not the problem for the Bears. They have a young, inexperienced group that they need to develop. That will take time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see major strides next season, esp. if Cutler spends the offseason working with this group. What will make them better though is a strengthened offensive line keeping the QB in the pocket and setting up a running game so that they're not all being double covered over the top by a safety.

The mantra is the same as the last 2 offseasons; the greatest need is O-line, and if the O-line is improved, then the rest of the offense will be lifted up with it.

One thing I'd like to point out...WR's can take a long, long time to develop, even in a good system with a good offensive coach. Look at Vincent Jackson's stats, for example. Catches by year for him:

68 (1 game remaining)

It took him 4 years to become a legit #2 receiving threat and 5 to become a legit home run hitter, and that was on a team with Rivers, Tomlinson, Norv Turner coaching the offense, Gates drawing coverage, and a constant supply of other receivers coming through (i.e. Chambers, etc.) trying to fill that #1 receiver role.

IMO, WR is not the problem for the Bears. They have a young, inexperienced group that they need to develop. That will take time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see major strides next season, esp. if Cutler spends the offseason working with this group. What will make them better though is a strengthened offensive line keeping the QB in the pocket and setting up a running game so that they're not all being double covered over the top by a safety.

The mantra is the same as the last 2 offseasons; the greatest need is O-line, and if the O-line is improved, then the rest of the offense will be lifted up with it.

Outstanding post. Agreed 100%.

#1=DA

#2=Bennett

#3=Knox

#4=Hester

I would not move that quickly in that direction..although I think DA and Bennett might be a possible 1-2, but then so might Knox and Bennett, or Hester and Knox....

I think we stick with the WR's we have and focus all of our money and few draft picks on major problem areas, like OLine.

I would not move that quickly in that direction..although I think DA and Bennett might be a possible 1-2, but then so might Knox and Bennett, or Hester and Knox....

I think we stick with the WR's we have and focus all of our money and few draft picks on major problem areas, like OLine.

Definately. I love our WRs development and think we have a great young core that will blossom.

Last game against MIN our OL gave Cutler the protection he needed and we saw what happened. We need to go after FA OLmen that will strengthen our OL and make what we saw on last Monday night a routine instead of an exception.

Our defense suffered greatly do to injuries. URL & Pisa were huge losses early in the year. Our DBs have had a lot of injuries this year. If we can bring in some talent on D fine, but I do not think the talent level of our players are lacking that much.

We definately need to get better coaching. If we keep Anelo & Lovie, fine, but bring in a defensive and offensive coordinator to upgrade in both areas. Of course, I personally want to see Lovie gone and his crew replaced with the exception of a few. Hopefully Taub remains with the new staff, if replaced.

68 (1 game remaining)

Correct. End thread.

Hester will be traded. His value as a special teamser isn't that special when you have Manning/Knox/Bennett all fully capable of being pretty damn good. And he isn't near the dynamic receiver that DA.

Basically put, Hester is officially on the block, imo and I'm 100% on board with that idea.

If a team offered a 1st and a 4th for Tillman and Hester, would you? Obviously they'd have to throw a player in who isn't living up to his mildly big or big contract, but you all get the idea.

68 (1 game remaining)

Agree 100%. IIRC, guys like Moss, TO, Steve Smith, and Ochocinco all took 2-4 years to become good, great, or elite.

However, I disagree with OL being the biggest need. Obviously with only having a 3rd round pick, I'd go OG there and let Omiyale and Schaffer battle it out at RT. After drafting an OG, we'd only probably need a C in the 6th or 7th because I think Garza has been our most consistent OL this year. I'd rather improve the OL through FA rather than bringing in unknown talent, or lack thereof.

Don't want to give up Tillman and in any case a 1st and 4th is too little for those two players. Tillman is a starting CB in this league that just creates another big hole on the roster, one we can't fill. Bowman will remain opposite of Tillman next year and while I'm probably in the minority I like Bowman and think he'll be a good CB for us. Behind them we have to sort out what Danieal Manning is going to be: NB, or FS. I like him at NB. A couple passes on him but he was right there in coverage and they were (had to be) perfect passes.

After that we have something of a mess at CB so there isn't really an heir apparent for Tillman.

OTOH, I think we already have the depth on the roster to replace Hester at WR, KR and PR.