Perry Fewell for DC

adam

Per Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Jason LaCanfora reports recently fired Bills interim head coach Perry Fewell is "very likely" to be named defensive coordinator for the Bears.

It's a great fit. Fewell is one of the few coaches still running a Cover 2, so he'll mesh well with Lovie Smith. Having Fewell's expertise in the secondary to go with Rod Marinelli on the defensive line would give Chicago one of the best teaching staffs in the league.

I would actually really like this re-hire. Fewell was our DB's coach in 2005, and has been the DC in Buffalo since 2006. Like Rotoworld mentioned, having him focusing on the Secondary and Marinelli on the D-Line could make for a solid team of coaches.

Could be worse...

Per Rotoworld:

I would actually really like this re-hire. Fewell was our DB's coach in 2005, and has been the DC in Buffalo since 2006. Like Rotoworld mentioned, having him focusing on the Secondary and Marinelli on the D-Line could make for a solid team of coaches.

Per Rotoworld:

Last season the Bears finished 17th in defense . . . Buffalo finished 19th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Our defense was real bad. So we're going to hire a guy who helmed a defense that was even worse?

Given that we want to continue with the cover 2, he's probably the best choice. But after what Marinelli did with the d-line, I'm not confident.

Last season the Bears finished 17th in defense . . . Buffalo finished 19th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Our defense was real bad. So we're going to hire a guy who helmed a defense that was even worse?

Given that we want to continue with the cover 2, he's probably the best choice. But after what Marinelli did with the d-line, I'm not confident.

That is sort of misleading. Yeah Buffalo was a pretty bad team as well and couldn't stop the run. However, they were solid against the pass and in the secondary (something we lacked), and actually had a decent defensive average per play.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/0...ve-coordinators

Per PFW:

13. Perry Fewell (interim head coach) / Bills — The Bills have taken more defensive snaps than anyone and have dealt with more injuries at linebacker and safety than anyone. Yet they still have been competitive defensively. SCOUT'S TAKE: "Fewell is a hell of a coach. He's a very good teacher, and it's difficult to find guys who can (correct) technical flaws the way he can. The defense has not been the problem there. If they can keep him (as defensive coordinator), they should."

Also, I just realized this would be our 3rd coach/coordinator with Head Coach experience. Anything to help out Lovie is a good thing.

Also, I just realized this would be our 3rd coach/coordinator with Head Coach experience. Anything to help out Lovie is a good thing.

That has to be the most misleading statistic ever:

Rod Marinelli: Coached the worst team in NFL history

Perry Fewell: Coached a bad Bills team after a bad former Bears coach got the ax mid-season.

Lovie: The defense gets worse the more he gets involved.

I'd rather have one great coach then 3 mediocres.

Big whoop. While Fewell is a good coach and all, I doubt much changes on D with Lovie running the show. He fired Ron Rivera because he was too good and didnt give into Lovie when it came to play calling and such. So, anyone who is hired as DC is gonna have to be a puppet who does whatever Lovie wants.

The funny thing is, we fire all these offensive coaches, but not a single defensive coach. However, a team that prides itself on defense has been as bad or worse than the offense these past 3 years. Un-freakin-believable.

Big whoop. While Fewell is a good coach and all, I doubt much changes on D with Lovie running the show. He fired Ron Turner because he was too good and didnt give into Lovie when it came to play calling and such. So, anyone who is hired as DC is gonna have to be a puppet who does whatever Lovie wants.

The funny thing is, we fire all these offensive coaches, but not a single defensive coach. However, a team that prides itself on defense has been as bad or worse than the offense these past 3 years. Un-freakin-believable.

I sure as hell hope you meant someone other than Turner, like Chico, or I fear you really need to lay off the crackpipe.

Big whoop. While Fewell is a good coach and all, I doubt much changes on D with Lovie running the show. He fired Ron Rivera because he was too good and didnt give into Lovie when it came to play calling and such. So, anyone who is hired as DC is gonna have to be a puppet who does whatever Lovie wants.

He did not fire Rivera. His contract was up and they did not renew him.

Peace :dabears

He did not fire Rivera. His contract was up and they did not renew him.

Peace :dabears

Either way, its the same shit cause Rivera could have been easily brought back since he didnt get any HC offers.

Its obvious the reason Rivera was let go was because he didn't believe in Lovie's traditional Tampa 2

I think this would be a pretty good hire. In Fewell, like w/ Rivera, we would add a DC that has more versatility, rather than the likes of Lovie and Babich, who only know the cover two. Under Rivera, we ran the cover two, but also had a DC that knew other schemes and could tweak it or totally get away from it when necessary. When we had Babich and Lovie calling the plays, we simply didn't have that sort of knowledge. If the cover two wasn't working, they didn't know anything else well enough to change.

Buffalo has not exactly had great talent, and yet their defenses usually were considered to have performed at a level above their actual talent. Further, several players, especially in the secondary, developed well, and they had a very good pass defense.

Sure, Lovie would still push for his scheme, but in a DC like Fewell, when that scheme isn't working, we would at least have a DC that knows other schemes well enough to adapt when necessary, which would be a nice change.

Per Rotoworld:

I think he beats Babitch and Smith.

But he'll be too much of a yes-man to have any real impact. He may be able to tweak a few more things, but it probably won't be enough.

Bottom line is it starts with the line, and there's nothing that tells me our line will be improved enough.

I think this would be a pretty good hire. In Fewell, like w/ Rivera, we would add a DC that has more versatility, rather than the likes of Lovie and Babich, who only know the cover two. Under Rivera, we ran the cover two, but also had a DC that knew other schemes and could tweak it or totally get away from it when necessary. When we had Babich and Lovie calling the plays, we simply didn't have that sort of knowledge. If the cover two wasn't working, they didn't know anything else well enough to change.

Buffalo has not exactly had great talent, and yet their defenses usually were considered to have performed at a level above their actual talent. Further, several players, especially in the secondary, developed well, and they had a very good pass defense.

Sure, Lovie would still push for his scheme, but in a DC like Fewell, when that scheme isn't working, we would at least have a DC that knows other schemes well enough to adapt when necessary, which would be a nice change.

Just curious, but why do you think he would be a yes man? He has more coaching experience than Rivera had, and has gotten that outside of the cover two. In Fewell, I think we would have a situation far more similar to what we had w/ Rivera.

Here is a big thing for me which I have talked about in the past. When we had Rivera, we had a coach who was experienced in multiple schemes having played under Buddy Ryan (among others), then coaching w/ Jimmy Johnson in Phily, than w/ Lovie and the cover two. Point is, while the cover two was our most talked about scheme, we had a DC who enough knowledge to adapt when the cover two was not working. When Rivera left, we had Babich, and then Lovie. In those two coaches, we were limited in knowledge to only the cover two. Think about where both Babich and Lovie received their coaching experience (TB/St.L) All those two know is the cover two. If it isn't working, they really didn't have the knowledge to adapt.

In Fewell, we again could have a DC w/ knowledge beyond the cover two, and thus have a DC capable of adapting. He may still be under Lovie, but like Rivera, would be better suited to adapt and tweak the defense as needed.

No question it all starts with the DL, but consider this. Buffalo didn't have elite DL talent, nor some great pass rush, and yet Buffalo had the #2 passing defense in the NFL. Yes, they also stunk against the run, but again, look at their talent.

I would also point out that, under Fewell, Buffalo did a better job of developing young players than we have.

I think he beats Babitch and Smith.

But he'll be too much of a yes-man to have any real impact. He may be able to tweak a few more things, but it probably won't be enough.

Bottom line is it starts with the line, and there's nothing that tells me our line will be improved enough.

History. So far, Smith has basically hired his own yes-men when given the chance.

Smith appears so amazingly stubborn, that I see no evidence that he wouldn't interfere w/ Fewell or anyone who dared to veer away too far from his baby.

Sorry, I need to actually see something different before I even remotely give anything involving Smith any sliver of a benefit of a doubt.

Like i said, I think it will be better. it's hard not to be worse.

Just curious, but why do you think he would be a yes man? He has more coaching experience than Rivera had, and has gotten that outside of the cover two. In Fewell, I think we would have a situation far more similar to what we had w/ Rivera.

Here is a big thing for me which I have talked about in the past. When we had Rivera, we had a coach who was experienced in multiple schemes having played under Buddy Ryan (among others), then coaching w/ Jimmy Johnson in Phily, than w/ Lovie and the cover two. Point is, while the cover two was our most talked about scheme, we had a DC who enough knowledge to adapt when the cover two was not working. When Rivera left, we had Babich, and then Lovie. In those two coaches, we were limited in knowledge to only the cover two. Think about where both Babich and Lovie received their coaching experience (TB/St.L) All those two know is the cover two. If it isn't working, they really didn't have the knowledge to adapt.

In Fewell, we again could have a DC w/ knowledge beyond the cover two, and thus have a DC capable of adapting. He may still be under Lovie, but like Rivera, would be better suited to adapt and tweak the defense as needed.

No question it all starts with the DL, but consider this. Buffalo didn't have elite DL talent, nor some great pass rush, and yet Buffalo had the #2 passing defense in the NFL. Yes, they also stunk against the run, but again, look at their talent.

I would also point out that, under Fewell, Buffalo did a better job of developing young players than we have.

When Lovie came to the bears, he was a newly promoted coach w/o prior HC experience. He had little power to force things too much. He then wanted Babich to be his DC. Angelo (and I think Phillips) said no, and hired Rivera instead. Rivera and Lovie, per the reports, often clashed, but at the end of the day, the results were pretty solid (defense). Rivera ran a version of Lovie's scheme, but also used tweaks and adapted when needed.

Then we make it to the SB. While we lose, Lovie is regardless seen on a very high level. We were a franchise still living off the glory of the 80s, with little positive since. In Lovie's 2nd season, we won the division and in his 3rd, we went to the SB. Impressive stuff for a resume, and he was rewarded. Besides more money, he had more power, both in contract and status. Thus he forced out Rivera (as well as Brick Haley, our DL coach) and promoted his BFF.

Well, since then it has gone down the crapper. His BFF was a failure, and Lovie himself couldn't do any better taking over the D. Other moves that he was believed to have pushed, like Archuleta and Pace, were Babich level failures.

This brings us to today. I believe Lovie, regardless of his contract, simply doesn't anymore have the power. Per his contract, Lovie could probably again promote Babich if he wanted, but he just doesn't have the power to do that anymore in terms of respect and trust. I think, more like when he was first hired, Lovie will be pushed back into a lesser role. He is still the HC, but will not be able to dictate the way he did after the SB.

Thus, I have hope that we seen a DC come in who has more authority. Like when we had Rivera, Lovie will happily say we still deploy the cover two, but what we see on the field will not look like what we saw w/ Babich and Lovie. I could be totally off here, but I just think that while Lovie retained his job, he lost much of the power he had, and that will carry over to Sundays.

History. So far, Smith has basically hired his own yes-men when given the chance.

Smith appears so amazingly stubborn, that I see no evidence that he wouldn't interfere w/ Fewell or anyone who dared to veer away too far from his baby.

Sorry, I need to actually see something different before I even remotely give anything involving Smith any sliver of a benefit of a doubt.

Like i said, I think it will be better. it's hard not to be worse.

Yesterday we were told that Smith has the final say in his staff. To me, that seems like he still holds the power. Maybe it's lip service, but until I see otherwise, I'm not going to think otherwise.

And really, you're kind of saying we have a lame duck ocach. How healthy is that?

When Lovie came to the bears, he was a newly promoted coach w/o prior HC experience. He had little power to force things too much. He then wanted Babich to be his DC. Angelo (and I think Phillips) said no, and hired Rivera instead. Rivera and Lovie, per the reports, often clashed, but at the end of the day, the results were pretty solid (defense). Rivera ran a version of Lovie's scheme, but also used tweaks and adapted when needed.

Then we make it to the SB. While we lose, Lovie is regardless seen on a very high level. We were a franchise still living off the glory of the 80s, with little positive since. In Lovie's 2nd season, we won the division and in his 3rd, we went to the SB. Impressive stuff for a resume, and he was rewarded. Besides more money, he had more power, both in contract and status. Thus he forced out Rivera (as well as Brick Haley, our DL coach) and promoted his BFF.

Well, since then it has gone down the crapper. His BFF was a failure, and Lovie himself couldn't do any better taking over the D. Other moves that he was believed to have pushed, like Archuleta and Pace, were Babich level failures.

This brings us to today. I believe Lovie, regardless of his contract, simply doesn't anymore have the power. Per his contract, Lovie could probably again promote Babich if he wanted, but he just doesn't have the power to do that anymore in terms of respect and trust. I think, more like when he was first hired, Lovie will be pushed back into a lesser role. He is still the HC, but will not be able to dictate the way he did after the SB.

Thus, I have hope that we seen a DC come in who has more authority. Like when we had Rivera, Lovie will happily say we still deploy the cover two, but what we see on the field will not look like what we saw w/ Babich and Lovie. I could be totally off here, but I just think that while Lovie retained his job, he lost much of the power he had, and that will carry over to Sundays.