goodbye fewell

Lucky Luciano

You sure it was really about money?

The Giants are in a better overall position than the Bears. They have WR's, QB, RB's, a decent line, a good defense. It kind of just fell apart fro them this past season. People say Coghlin is on the hot seat, and he probably is. But there is no seat hotter than Smith's. And Coughlin has one thing Smith doesn't. A Lombardi under his belt. Against the evil empire at that...

This pisses me off more than anything. It had to come down to money and the Bears didn't offer it. Hell, the Bears were going to have to offer more because there was much better job security in New York than Chicago.

This pisses me off big time.

You sure it was really about money?

The Giants are in a better overall position than the Bears. They have WR's, QB, RB's, a decent line, a good defense. It kind of just fell apart fro them this past season. People say Coghlin is on the hot seat, and he probably is. But there is no seat hotter than Smith's. And Coughlin has one thing Smith doesn't. A Lombardi under his belt. Against the evil empire at that...

Yeah, and Fewell arguably has more history with Coughlin than with Smith. Still, there has to be an amount of money that would offset all that. If Fewell's their guy and the Bears really cared about putting together a quality coaching staff, they would have offered whatever it took.

Also, if job security's the issue, why didn't they just have Angelo or Ted Phillips sit down with Fewell and say "if the defense is good and Lovie gets canned, you're first in line for the head coaching job"? I mean, I'd think you could spin the whole head-coach-on-the-hot-seat thing into a positive if a coordinator thinks he's next in line to be HC.

Yeah, and Fewell arguably has more history with Coughlin than with Smith. Still, there has to be an amount of money that would offset all that. If Fewell's their guy and the Bears really cared about putting together a quality coaching staff, they would have offered whatever it took.

Also, if job security's the issue, why didn't they just have Angelo or Ted Phillips sit down with Fewell and say "if the defense is good and Lovie gets canned, you're first in line for the head coaching job"? I mean, I'd think you could spin the whole head-coach-on-the-hot-seat thing into a positive if a coordinator thinks he's next in line to be HC.

Except everyone (not Chicago media but national media as well) had Fewell leaning towards the Bears. Money clearly was a factor in this.

Oh, it's always about money to some degree! Enough loot, and anyone can be bought for the most part!

They can say that, and still get rid of Fewell. The reality of the situation is that this franchise is in lame duck mode, and it's obvious to the entire football world except to those who run the team.

Lol, is anyone surprised by this? Why would anyone choose Chicago over New York at this point?

A couple points:

1.) This is Lovie's D. Lovie will still have final say and control over the defense. Fewell would call the plays, but he'd have to be Lovie's puppet. Also, from some of the stuff I have read, Lovie and Fewell weren't the best of friends.

2.) In New York, Fewell will have complete control over the defense, he's the head honcho considering the defense (Coughlin is an offensive guy).

3.) New York offers more talent on D, more chance to succeed, and an oppurtunity to become a hot HC candidate next year if New York's D does good.

4.) Fewell knows Lovie is on the hot seat, and whole new coaching staff could be coming in next year. Also, if the Bears guaranteed him the HC is Lovie is canned, that's just plain stupid. We'd be limiting our options. If Fewell did turn out to be the best option, fine, but with Cowher, Grim, Heimerdinger, Jim Harbaugh, etc., out there, itd be stupid to limit ourselves to one option. And if we reneged on Fewell's deal, that just hurts our credibility when we are looking for other coaches.

5.) Money was definitely not the main issue. Fewell wants to eventually be a HC. In New York, he has the option of being the top dawg with the defense and controls his own future. He has much more talent there, and if succeeds there, he'll become a top coaching candidate in the NFL.

Except everyone (not Chicago media but national media as well) had Fewell leaning towards the Bears. Money clearly was a factor in this.

Fewell seemed to be leaning towards Chicago before the interview he had.

Ever think Fewell just didnt like what Lovie and co were selling, and bought into Coughlin more?

Lol, is anyone surprised by this? Why would anyone choose Chicago over New York at this point?

A couple points:

1.) This is Lovie's D. Lovie will still have final say and control over the defense. Fewell would call the plays, but he'd have to be Lovie's puppet. Also, from some of the stuff I have read, Lovie and Fewell weren't the best of friends.

2.) In New York, Fewell will have complete control over the defense, he's the head honcho considering the defense (Coughlin is an offensive guy).

3.) New York offers more talent on D, more chance to succeed, and an oppurtunity to become a hot HC candidate next year if New York's D does good.

4.) Fewell knows Lovie is on the hot seat, and whole new coaching staff could be coming in next year. Also, if the Bears guaranteed him the HC is Lovie is canned, that's just plain stupid. We'd be limiting our options. If Fewell did turn out to be the best option, fine, but with Cowher, Grim, Heimerdinger, Jim Harbaugh, etc., out there, itd be stupid to limit ourselves to one option. And if we reneged on Fewell's deal, that just hurts our credibility when we are looking for other coaches.

5.) Money was definitely not the main issue. Fewell wants to eventually be a HC. In New York, he has the option of being the top dawg with the defense and controls his own future. He has much more talent there, and if succeeds there, he'll become a top coaching candidate in the NFL.

I think #2 and #3 are probably the biggest reasons why he'd pick New York. You're right, he'd have more control and it'd be a better showcase for a HC job down the road. Also, they've got a bunch of size and talent in the front seven, which Buffalo definitely did not have, and Chicago doesn't have either. With a big, high-pressure defensive front and Fewell coaching up the secondary, the Giants have a much better chance than the Bears to be a great defense and help Fewell's resume.

Maybe Smith forced his way on him, and Coughlin will let him do his thing...

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. In fact, it makes a ton of sense.

Fewell seemed to be leaning towards Chicago before the interview he had.

Ever think Fewell just didnt like what Lovie and co were selling, and bought into Coughlin more?

perfect breakdown of the situation!

A couple points:

OK, so the Sun-Times is reporting that Fewell hasn't made up his mind yet. Schefter apparently clarified his report, and said that "as of this morning, Fewell was planning to accept [the] Giants DC job" but that it's not official. I wonder if this is a last effort from Fewell to drive up his price. If it is, the Bears better pay him.

OK, so the Sun-Times is reporting that Fewell hasn't made up his mind yet. Schefter apparently clarified his report, and said that "as of this morning, Fewell was planning to accept [the] Giants DC job" but that it's not official. I wonder if this is a last effort from Fewell to drive up his price. If it is, the Bears better pay him.

Not the first time Schefter screwed up reporting false info.

I don't know about that. There was a ton of talk about Chicago, but I think that had more to do w/ our interest than Fewell's. As soon as NY showed interest, stories seemed to change.

Maybe it is about money, but there are numerous other factors that really make me wonder. In reality, if you take a step back, I think you have to ask why the hell he would choose Chicago over NY. They have more talent on D, and he would have not have someone pushing him to do this or that nearly as much on D. He would be able to run his own show more. There is also a FAR greater level of stability there, where as in chicago, the expectation is a one year gig. And while he has worked w/ Lovie, and may in fact have a good relationship, I read he has a greater relationship w/ the NY coach.

So why again would he want to come here?