Defensive Line fixes

balta1701-A

I think we need to make a serious offer to Ogunleye.

Maybe, but weren't we genuinely unhappy with Ogunleye? We heard all season long that our safety play wasn't nearly as critical as getting pressure on the QB. Against good teams our DE routinely did little to pressure the QB.

Upgrading the DE position was our #1 priority which is why we traded for Adams. Not to mention there are few available via free agency.

One option is Henry Melton. Supposedly we've been thrilled with the progress he's made. I'm not optimistic.

We've also looked at Jaron Gilbert at DE . . . but our DT position is still a mess.

Mark Anderson showed signs toward the end of the year, but we've seen what he does as a starter.

What's worse is that IMO we're likely to address the d-line with our 3rd round pick.

I'm thinking we should still let Ogun walk and hope JA finds a stud DE in the later round to help spark this line similar to the 06 season with Mark Anderson. Otherwise we need to resign Anderson himself and see if he can't get back to where he was in his rookie season. I just don't think Ogunleye is worth the money.

If they bring back Ogy, I would prefer they franchise tag him so we only have him for 1 year. Next year will most likely be uncapped so the money isn't an issue. Not that I want him back, but if they deem it necessary, then keep it to 1 year so we are not locked into a long term deal.

Peace :dabears

This is a major problem imo. Undersized linemen we be signed for multiple year deals or draft picks will be spent on them. Then when/if there is a coaching change next year, then there will be players that the Bears are paying or wasted picks on that will be useless most likely in a new system.

If they bring back Ogy, I would prefer they franchise tag him so we only have him for 1 year. Next year will most likely be uncapped so the money isn't an issue. Not that I want him back, but if they deem it necessary, then keep it to 1 year so we are not locked into a long term deal.

They wouldn't risk 11 mil to get rid of Lovie, if you think they'll consider 16 mil to keep Ogun...

They wouldn't risk 11 mil to get rid of Lovie, if you think they'll consider 16 mil to keep Ogun...

The average top 5 pay for a DE is 16 million? If so, wow. I just can't believe that is true. I was thinking more around 7 to 9 million. Will have to check that out.

The average top 5 pay for a DE is 16 million? If so, wow. I just can't believe that is true. I was thinking more around 7 to 9 million. Will have to check that out.

As per ESPN, 16.7 million. Wow. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Wale'd be worth it if we played really bad offensive lines every week.

That was the Franchise tender for Peppers, not the whole league. The Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 players at a given position OR 120% of their previous years' cap hit. Peppers is in a league of his own.

Here's a link to last year's tag levels....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

I'd expect us to transition tag Ogun at the least.

That was the Franchise tender for Peppers, not the whole league. The Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 players at a given position OR 120% of their previous years' cap hit. Peppers is in a league of his own.

Here's a link to last year's tag levels....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

I'd expect us to transition tag Ogun at the least.

Agreed. Keep him around for a 1 year stop gap if you cannot get a suitable replacement (i.e. Kampman).

Agreed. Keep him around for a 1 year stop gap if you cannot get a suitable replacement (i.e. Kampman).

IMHO Kampman is what the Bears should look into during FA to replace Gaines and possibly O-Gun. Bring back Anderson he's still rather cheap. If O-Gun leaves and we get Kampman that would be a factor for bringing Melton into the rotation. Brown/Anderson on one side Kampman/Melton on the other.

Sort of like when we drafted that DE from Penn the same year we drafted Rex, what the hell was his name?, and almost immediately changed systems to one which he was a poor fit. Not saying the DE would have even been worth a damn, but the point is, it rarely works out well when you get a player for one system, only to soon after change systems.

Our DT Adams experienced a similar situation. I believe he too was from that Penn DL, right? Anyway, he is drafted for a particular system, and then SF changes system to one in which he quickly became a non-factor and a poor fit.

This is a big concern. Then again, I just do not know the owners will allow Angelo to go out and spend big, much for some of the same reasons as above.

This is a major problem imo. Undersized linemen we be signed for multiple year deals or draft picks will be spent on them. Then when/if there is a coaching change next year, then there will be players that the Bears are paying or wasted picks on that will be useless most likely in a new system.

On one level, while this is going to affect our offseason plans, I am not sure how great of a true effect this will have on our actual play. Lets be honest, he was considered a bust by the team that drafted him, and while he was not with us for long, he didn't even show flashes of potential. He was essentially penciled into a 2010 starting role due to what we gave him, but not necessarily due to actual play or ability. While he was set to start, I always questioned how long he would keep that role as I just didn't think much of him.

But there is no question we have to make other plans now. First thing I think will be the staff, again, changing plans for Gilbert. I swear it seems like I hear about him playing a different role on the DL every couple weeks. Gilbert and Melton will be pegged to compete for the RDE spot, with Brown on the other side. Inside, it will be the same rotation we have seen, w/ more talk of hope of Harris playing to his old level (and they will talk about how well he played at the end of the season) along w/ Harrison developing.

I have no doubt Angelo will also add a player or two in the draft, and that rookie too could be in the mix. We may also look at FA, but I do not expect a Kampman or anyone like that which would come at a high cost. We might see another signing or two along the Adams level.

IMHO, Lovie (and Angelo) have been given another season, but I do not think the team is going to give them a ton to work with. I think, to some extent, the ownes will basically say they have made their beds, and now must lay down in the same. You know. Make due with what you have.

The other thread suggested an independent thread for discussion of what the Bears should do about their Defensive Line, given that they're now even more undermanned there and have no picks in the first 2 rounds.

IMHO Kampman is what the Bears should look into during FA to replace Gaines and possibly O-Gun. Bring back Anderson he's still rather cheap. If O-Gun leaves and we get Kampman that would be a factor for bringing Melton into the rotation. Brown/Anderson on one side Kampman/Melton on the other.

I'm not sure Kampman would be worth as much money as he's going to require. He's probably going to be the only starting-caliber UFA defensive end on the market...we could be bidding against St. Louis, Seattle, Detroit, Cleveland (if they switch back to a 4-3 under Holmgren) just to name a few. He's 30, coming off an ACL injury, and likely to be VERY pricey.

I think we can probably get by with what we have on the roster, but the staff needs to make up its mind on all our tackle-end hybrid players. Between Gilbert, Idonije, and Melton (who was apparently asked to bulk up and move to under tackle) we've got three guys who could potentially play either end or tackle. We need to move two of them to end full-time, and have the other one bulk up and stay inside. It'd be ideal if one of those guys (probably Gilbert) could add enough bulk and strength to play the nose: that would let us rotate Marcus Harrison with Tommie at under tackle, which is probably Harrison's best position. If we do all that and resign Mark Anderson, we could be OK even if Ogunleye doesn't resign. If he's willing to sign a cheap one- or two-year deal with no guarantee that he'll start, so much the better.

I'm not sure Kampman would be worth as much money as he's going to require. He's probably going to be the only starting-caliber UFA defensive end on the market...we could be bidding against St. Louis, Seattle, Detroit, Cleveland (if they switch back to a 4-3 under Holmgren) just to name a few. He's 30, coming off an ACL injury, and likely to be VERY pricey.

although getting up in age he should still have 2-3 years of good productivity. the main concern is the season ending injury he suffered and how serious that will effect his future.

that said, kampman was one of if not the best LDE in football. he has pretty much done this on his own without the help of a pro-bowl RDE like ogy had in miami. if he were a year or two younger and the injury had no effect i would offer the moon for this guy. as it is if his knee is not wrecked i would offer a good contract for him.

his stats:

sacks

09 - 3.5

08 - 9.5

07 - 12

06 - 15.5

05 - 6.5

04 - 4.5

03 - 2

02 - .5

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronkampman/ca...ts?id=KAM725424

I hate to say this but given our situation and limited options I think we should sit with what we have and perhaps throw a few darts at the situation with some late Rd picks. We need a new DC and I think between him and Marinelli we'll try to work this out with the existing roster. In other words, I think our best option for winning games next year is to focus on the offensive line.

There's a trend in those stats...

could be age is becoming a factor in 2008 till now although he made the pro-bowl in 2008.

in 2009 the pack changed his position by going with the 3-4 plus his season ending injury in wk 11.

still at 9.5 sks a season, 2008, for a LDE is a good prospect in my book as it's over a 50% advantage over ogys 6. it would all depend upon the injury and how it plays out.

My thought is if he's available, take him. Our options are seriously limitied this off-season.

A player like this could easily off-set, or do better than Ogun I think.

could be age is becoming a factor in 2008 till now although he made the pro-bowl in 2008.

in 2009 the pack changed his position by going with the 3-4 plus his season ending injury in wk 11.

still at 9.5 sks a season, 2008, for a LDE is a good prospect in my book as it's over a 50% advantage over ogys 6. it would all depend upon the injury and how it plays out.