Bears Interview TE Candidate

DABEARSDABOMB

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6497

He has head coaching experience (College), worked with Holmgren and has had success as a coach in the NFL and had a pretty good resume at the college level. All in all, seems like a solid hire.

DeBord spent the last two seasons with the Seahawks as an offensive line assistant under Mike Holmgren in 2008 and tight ends coach for Jim Mora in 2009. This past season DeBord tutored second-year tight end John Carlson, who caught 51 passes for 574 yards and a team-leading 7 touchdowns.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, DeBord spent 26 seasons in the college ranks, including 12 years at the University of Michigan from 1992-99 and 2004-07. In between those stints, DeBord was head coach at Central Michigan for four seasons from 2000-03.

A four-year letterman on the offensive line at Manchester College, DeBord began his coaching career at Franklin College in Indiana in 1982 after receiving his master’s degree from Ball State in 1981.

He was also an assistant coach at Fort Hays (1984-86), Eastern Illinois (1987-88), Ball State (1989), Colorado State (1990-91) and Northwestern (1992) before joining the Michigan staff.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure the prowess of Jon Carlson and the vaunted Seattle TE game really thills me...

He has head coaching experience (College), worked with Holmgren and has had success as a coach in the NFL and had a pretty good resume at the college level. All in all, seems like a solid hire.

Not sure the prowess of Jon Carlson and the vaunted Seattle TE game really thills me...

Carllson put up good production despite being less talented than a guy like Greg Olsen and he worked with a bevy of QB's due to the injuries to Hasselbach.

Carlson also showed a lot of development and is supposed to be a pretty solid blocker. I like the fact that our TE coach (if we hired him) also has experience on the oline since he'd be able to provide Olsen and our other TE's with improved blocking techniques.

One thing I wonder is have the Bears already identified there OC and they just can't announce it yet since he's in the playoffs or something along those lines?

Otherwise it seems odd that we continue to interview assistants and potentially hire them prior to make a move. I understand it with Tice since he was a pretty big name hire and something they had to jump on quickly but in this instance couldn't you wait?

If you aren't waiting, it makes me think the Bears already have a guy in mind.

Fair enough...

Carllson put up good production despite being less talented than a guy like Greg Olsen and he worked with a bevy of QB's due to the injuries to Hasselbach.

Carlson also showed a lot of development and is supposed to be a pretty solid blocker. I like the fact that our TE coach (if we hired him) also has experience on the oline since he'd be able to provide Olsen and our other TE's with improved blocking techniques.

I sure hope you're right there....

I've heard a lot of hypoe on Rod, but very little amazement in reailty. It makes a difference who the players are for sure. But I'm as skeptical as ever still. Same with Tice. I just need to see it to believe it.

I truly believe that the oline/dline coaches we have are amongst the best in the league though and that is something to build upon (Tice/Marinelli).

Why in the hell are Bears adding/interviewing assistants with out an offensive coordinator?

I got a feeling Tice is going to be in charge of a pretty substantial portion of the offense (mainly the oline and rushing philosphy and his influence might even extend a bit into the TE's since he has experience coaching them, is a former player, and well quite frankly they play an important factor within the rushing game) so my guess is he's been given the reigns to pick his guy and that ultimately the Bears will have Tice be part of the process to get the OC as well (obviously not as the decision maker but I'm sure it will be important that Tice and the OC agree).

I assume whomever we bring in as the OC will be very good with QB's and the air attack and Tice can step in and help with the ground-game. I see it in a similar mold to how Arizona runs things. I assume that guy is Zampese but that they are also waiting to talk to a few guys that are still in the playoffs (most noteable the Colts WR coach).

Why are we doing this backwards? I'm pretty sure you aren't suppose to hire position coaches before you hire coordinators. Usually the coordinators want people to fit into their systems.

According to several analysts they agree that its weird but they also said that this happens more than most want to agree.

Regarding Dallas, they had the good year this year, but lets not pretend their coaching moves were recent or considered successful. In fact, the way in which they went about their coaching moves should be an example of how not to do it. The authority of the HC here has been a near joke as Jason Garrett was considered the heir apperant. In fact, until the late run and playoff win, it was believed their HC had no chance in hell of being retained, and now suddenly, Jerry Jones is talking contract extension. But don't take that to believe the manner in which they went about their coaching hires has been considered a success. Actually, the funny thing is that it is Jason Garrett (the OC) who is taking a massive amount of heat around here.

Regarding our hiring of position coaches, I heard/read some comments by a former NFL player/coach who said it is VERY odd to hire an OC or DC prior to the HC, but not necessarily that big of a deal to hire position coaches before OC/DC, so long as the HC is in place.

I would agree w/ that more if we were talking about hiring a DB coach before defensive coordinator, as we have a defensive background HC and run his system. I disagree on the offensive side of the ball though. Lovie knows little about offense, and it is pretty well known that he is hands off on offense and allows the OC near total freedom. Thus our OC is similar to a HC#2. We need to allow the OC the ability to at least give input on the hiring of his position coaches.

I can accept the Tice hire, as it is a guy w/ high experience who may not be around when you finally get your OC, but I don't really get this TE coach.

Heck, in Dallas they hired the OC before they hired the HC, ;-)

They at least made it to the playoffs and won their first game against PHI before losing to MIN

Regarding Dallas, they had the good year this year, but lets not pretend their coaching moves were recent or considered successful. In fact, the way in which they went about their coaching moves should be an example of how not to do it. The authority of the HC here has been a near joke as Jason Garrett was considered the heir apperant. In fact, until the late run and playoff win, it was believed their HC had no chance in hell of being retained, and now suddenly, Jerry Jones is talking contract extension. But don't take that to believe the manner in which they went about their coaching hires has been considered a success. Actually, the funny thing is that it is Jason Garrett (the OC) who is taking a massive amount of heat around here.

Regarding our hiring of position coaches, I heard/read some comments by a former NFL player/coach who said it is VERY odd to hire an OC or DC prior to the HC, but not necessarily that big of a deal to hire position coaches before OC/DC, so long as the HC is in place.

I would agree w/ that more if we were talking about hiring a DB coach before defensive coordinator, as we have a defensive background HC and run his system. I disagree on the offensive side of the ball though. Lovie knows little about offense, and it is pretty well known that he is hands off on offense and allows the OC near total freedom. Thus our OC is similar to a HC#2. We need to allow the OC the ability to at least give input on the hiring of his position coaches.

I can accept the Tice hire, as it is a guy w/ high experience who may not be around when you finally get your OC, but I don't really get this TE coach.

You just pointed out what I was pointing at. Sorry for not being so direct. The analyst agreed that it wasn't that big of a deal that the position coaches were being hired prior to the Coordinators as long as the HC is in place and doing the hiring. Now if we were hiring position coaches and such prior to the HC being hired I would be pissed.

That's what the NFL guy said, but I am not sure how much I agree, and here's why.

As I said, if we were talking about hiring a DL coach (for example) prior to our DC, I would not so much as think twice about it. Lovie has a defensive background and we run his scheme. Regardless who we end up w/ as a DC, Lovie knows what we need in terms of a DL coach.

Can that really be said though about our offensive hires? Where does our offensive knowledge come from? Neither our HC, nor our GM, have an offense oriented background. That is why on offense, I would think we would tend to lean more in the direction of first getting our OC, and then listening to who he wants as his position coaches. That doesn't mean we simply give the OC compete authority over his staff, but I would sure think we would want his input.

You just pointed out what I was pointing at. Sorry for not being so direct. The analyst agreed that it wasn't that big of a deal that the position coaches were being hired prior to the Coordinators as long as the HC is in place and doing the hiring. Now if we were hiring position coaches and such prior to the HC being hired I would be pissed.

One move that didn't happen that sort of suprises me.

Jedd Fisch was a coach at one point we were rumored to have interest in. He was the WR coach for Denver, and we given a ton of credit for the development of Eddie Royal, not to mention Marshall. He supposedly also had a very good relationship w/ Cutler. Prior to Denver, he was an assistant QB coach for Baltimore, and many spoke about his working w/ McNair to make some changes which aided him in Baltimore.

I never liked the idea of Fisch as our OC, but as either a QB coach or WR coach, the idea looked pretty solid.

Well, Carroll hired Fisch to be the QB coach in Seattle. I didn't make a big issue of it at the time, as I thought it was just a matter of our first wanting to get our OC in place, but now, I have to question why we would not have made the move. If we are going to go about signing position coaches prior to having an OC in place, this would have seemed a pretty logical hire.

Why are we doing this backwards? I'm pretty sure you aren't suppose to hire position coaches before you hire coordinators. Usually the coordinators want people to fit into their systems.

I think the head coach still is very involved in the hiring of assistants. Turner only really brought in Harry, I think that was his guy, but outside of that while he might have vetted some of the guys, Lovie/Jerry were bigger influences on the assistants hired, imo.

That doesn't make me feel any better.

I think the head coach still is very involved in the hiring of assistants. Turner only really brought in Harry, I think that was his guy, but outside of that while he might have vetted some of the guys, Lovie/Jerry were bigger influences on the assistants hired, imo.

That's what the NFL guy said, but I am not sure how much I agree, and here's why.

As I said, if we were talking about hiring a DL coach (for example) prior to our DC, I would not so much as think twice about it. Lovie has a defensive background and we run his scheme. Regardless who we end up w/ as a DC, Lovie knows what we need in terms of a DL coach.

Can that really be said though about our offensive hires? Where does our offensive knowledge come from? Neither our HC, nor our GM, have an offense oriented background. That is why on offense, I would think we would tend to lean more in the direction of first getting our OC, and then listening to who he wants as his position coaches. That doesn't mean we simply give the OC compete authority over his staff, but I would sure think we would want his input.

You might not agree, but given that it is coming from NFL guys it at least shows that the Bears aren't doing something that would be considered abnormal or unprecedented.

Certainly not, especially when the majority of NFL teams don't make the playoffs...

Just because others are doing it, doesn't make it good.

You might not agree, but given that it is coming from NFL guys it at least shows that the Bears aren't doing something that would be considered abnormal or unprecedented.

One move that didn't happen that sort of suprises me.

Jedd Fisch was a coach at one point we were rumored to have interest in. He was the WR coach for Denver, and we given a ton of credit for the development of Eddie Royal, not to mention Marshall. He supposedly also had a very good relationship w/ Cutler. Prior to Denver, he was an assistant QB coach for Baltimore, and many spoke about his working w/ McNair to make some changes which aided him in Baltimore.

I never liked the idea of Fisch as our OC, but as either a QB coach or WR coach, the idea looked pretty solid.

Well, Carroll hired Fisch to be the QB coach in Seattle. I didn't make a big issue of it at the time, as I thought it was just a matter of our first wanting to get our OC in place, but now, I have to question why we would not have made the move. If we are going to go about signing position coaches prior to having an OC in place, this would have seemed a pretty logical hire.

I think Bates had more pull to get Fish in than the Bears had and that is why we didn't go that route. I also think that if we are leaning towards Zampese (a former QB coach) we would have to look more heavy at him for who to hire at that position (as well as Cutler).

In the case of the TE coach, Tice is probably going to have a better read on who is a good TE coach than our OC would.

I newer saw Fisch's name mentioned without Bates' as well. So I think that we would've gone for the combo only.

And regarding hiring OL coach before OC; it is the way the HC most loud Bears fans want did it. Mike Singletary hired the 49ers OL coach before he hired an OC.