D-Coordinator

Uncle Buck

I personally always go back to the AZ game. Rookie Leinart was looking like Warner in the 1st half. It was ugly. We were playing soft coverage and not even attacking the young QB. We looked like a team that expected a rookie to have the deer in headlights look and we were going to sit back and accept his interception gifts. Intead, he ripped us up.

Second half was night and day different. Our CBs playing tight coverage on their exceptional WRs. Hell, the entire D just about was crowding the LOS. We didn't just blitz. We blitzed like I have rarely seen. One guy would blitz. Then 3. Then one. Then zero. LBs blitzed. Safeties blitzed. DE would drop out while two LBs blitzed. In the 2nd half, we appeared to have an attitude of not wanting to allow them a single yard. And man, we gang tackled every time.

I heard after the game, and fully believe it, that we went into that game w/ Lovie's game plan, but Rivera took over after the half.

I would also point out a similar thing from the postseason.

All year long we were a zone coverage defense. In the NO playoff game, we played man, and we all remember how well be defended the great Drew Brees. I remember well after the game hearing Brees talk about how our playing man flat out caught them by surprise. They were not prepared for it and couldn't adjust. Some even questioned if Brees was taking a dig at Sean Payton. I don't think anyone who has followed Lovie can say our playing man was his idea. That was Rivera.

Further, I have also heard that going into the SB, the big game, Lovie pushed for his more conservative scheme. Sort of like in law, an associate does all the work, but once you get to the trial, some partner comes in and takes over. He has experience, but what often worked thoughout the case is forgotten.

Honestly, I am not trying to make Rivera out to be some God like DC. We had a tremendous level of talent that year. But I do believe Rivera did more to let loose the hounds, while Lovie was too conservative with such an abundance of talent. Rivera and Lovie were each handed some Kobe beef. Rivera took that beef, and nicely cooked a steak. Lovie ground the beef up to make a hamburger, which he doused w/ Ketchup. In other words, one coach wanted to utilize the resources while the other treated the resources as average.

I always point out too Lovie let Don Johnson go after that season, and our DL has stunk since.

Right before the defense started slacking, near the end of the season, Hub Arkush was reporting Lovie was taking a much bigger roll in the defense. That's why I always attributed the defenses success to Rivera prior to failures of both Babich and Lovie taking their turns at running the defense, into the ground.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Don Johnson can never be replaced...

04-723515.jpg

But in all seriousness, you are spot on.

Problem for Lovie, in regard to an discussion like this one, is the Rivera factor. Rivera, not Lovie, ran that defense. No question Lovie was invovled, but at the same time, I have never heard any question that it was Rivera making the game day playcalls.

Since Rivera was allowed to walk (pushed out the door) this defense has stunk. Just for the record, along w/ Rivera, I would add Don Johnson (DL) was replaced that year. Similar, our DL has not been good since.

So is it fair to ask how much of that D was Lovie and how much was Rivera. Well, I would say it is a fair question since Lovie decided to replace Rivera w/ his BFF, and that didn't workout.

Going back to that SB season, I felt (and said) we were winng despite Lovie more than due to him. Frankly, I felt he held back our defense, players and coaches.

Not the only reasons. I believe there were players like T. Jones, Hester, Briggs, Mark Anderson and his breakout rookie year*, Bernard Berrian, Tank Johnson, Chris Harris (Tillman and Vasher and their respective Pro Bowl years). Some of these players were not "hand-me downs" but instead players that were drafted or traded for during Lovie's tenure. However again, all these players contributed in many ways more than just the two players you pointed out.

You remember the promises that Lovie made when he was hired right?

Beat Green Bay - check

Win the Division - check

Go to the Super Bowl - check

And he is the third winning-est coach in Bears history after "Papa" Bear Halas and Ditka. Pretty good in my book.

* - from Wikipedia

Winning regular season games only gets you so far ask Marty Schottenheimer(sp?)

Look, Lovie, Martz, Tice, Marinelli, Angelo, etc... They are all going to fight like hell to keep their jobs, they do not want to be seeking other positions next year. I do not know if they will be successful in righting the ship or not but I can guarantee you they will do the best damn job they can. Now are they capable of the job? I honestly do not know. It is not all on them. The players have to remain healthy and perform up to their abilities also. The only thing we can do is sit back and see what happens.

I stongly expect for some new players to be brought in via FA. We have done so in the past. With what would appear to be an uncapped year I believe if a player becomes available that will help turn things around we will go after him. I do not believe it will be on the O unless an OL comes free that would work for us. I think most of the players brought in will be on D.

I am certainly not entertaining the idea of going and becoming a Bronco or Charger fan. That really pisses me off when posters say they should go and be a fan of another team because the Bears are not making the moves they want them to do. GO, by all means, GO, and when the Bears are back on top again, I am sure you will return. Ride that Bandwagon. I could give a shit.

I am anxious now for FA to start and see what happens. Then the draft. Then the preseason camps and games. Then once the season starts and we see what kind of product we have on the field, then I will make judgement on the offseason moves. It is way too early to make an evaluation of our offseason at this point.

Well said and I strongly agree!