D-Coordinator

Uncle Buck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could come up with a few more colorful words than "Good grief"...

WSCR is reporting that Rod Marinelli is the new defensive coordinator.

Last year's most valuable free agent acquisition will join this year's most valuable free agent acquisition as a coordinator for the team.

To quote my idol, Charlie Brown, "Good Grief".

Believe me, nastier words are running through my head. Especially when I read that in the press release announcing this move, Lovie stated that he felt good about where this defensive staff was at the end of the season. This guy and this organization are a joke and they are seriously delusional.

The more Lovie opens his mouth and spouts his condescending and smug comments, the more I want to smash his mug right down his throat. The team sucked last year and this clown thinks he is coming off a playoff season where a few tweaks will make the difference. I can get it that coaches should be confident, but this guy borders on arrogant to a fault.

The 2011 season cannot come soon enough!

I could come up with a few more colorful words than "Good grief"...

hmm...a guy who has never been a DC, then hired by MATT MILLEN to run a team...failed like no other head coach failed before...get hired on to lead us to a mediocre DLine...then gets handed the job to run the defense which will be the same old cover 2 BULL**** that will fail and then fail and then fail again.

I might have to become a broncos fan

Guest TerraTor
hmm...a guy who has never been a DC, then hired by MATT MILLEN to run a team...failed like no other head coach failed before...get hired on to lead us to a mediocre DLine...then gets handed the job to run the defense which will be the same old cover 2 BULL**** that will fail and then fail and then fail again.

tuff not to be a chargers fan every year

Uncle Buck, man you took the words right out of my mouth!

My blood boils when he starts playing us all for fools. How could anyone feel good about what the defense did last year? It's mind boggling...

Believe me, nastier words are running through my head. Especially when I read that in the press release announcing this move, Lovie stated that he felt good about where this defensive staff was at the end of the season. This guy and this organization are a joke and they are seriously delusional.

The more Lovie opens his mouth and spouts his condescending and smug comments, the more I want to smash his mug right down his throat. The team sucked last year and this clown thinks he is coming off a playoff season where a few tweaks will make the difference. I can get it that coaches should be confident, but this guy borders on arrogant to a fault.

The 2011 season cannot come soon enough!

Don't become a Denver fan!

Just remember the glory days of the past for the Bears and hope in 2 years we will be on track. Denver isn't going to be much better.

That would make me feel better if I respected Smith's opinion on hiring.

Grab your scuba gear and liferafts...I sense a sinking feeling.

Everyone does realize that Marinelli is the guy Lovie wanted to hire in the first place before Babich and Rivera? Sink or swim, this is all on Lovie and JA now.

Peace :dabears

Don't become a Denver fan!

Just remember the glory days of the past for the Bears and hope in 2 years we will be on track. Denver isn't going to be much better.

I know its just words coming out of my mouth...hell I got the bears C tattooed on my back so can't turn now...

but this just makes me sick...and I can't hop in with the "oh well we'll be ok in 3 years" crowd.

Look, Lovie, Martz, Tice, Marinelli, Angelo, etc... They are all going to fight like hell to keep their jobs, they do not want to be seeking other positions next year. I do not know if they will be successful in righting the ship or not but I can guarantee you they will do the best damn job they can. Now are they capable of the job? I honestly do not know. It is not all on them. The players have to remain healthy and perform up to their abilities also. The only thing we can do is sit back and see what happens.

I stongly expect for some new players to be brought in via FA. We have done so in the past. With what would appear to be an uncapped year I believe if a player becomes available that will help turn things around we will go after him. I do not believe it will be on the O unless an OL comes free that would work for us. I think most of the players brought in will be on D.

I am certainly not entertaining the idea of going and becoming a Bronco or Charger fan. That really pisses me off when posters say they should go and be a fan of another team because the Bears are not making the moves they want them to do. GO, by all means, GO, and when the Bears are back on top again, I am sure you will return. Ride that Bandwagon. I could give a shit.

I am anxious now for FA to start and see what happens. Then the draft. Then the preseason camps and games. Then once the season starts and we see what kind of product we have on the field, then I will make judgement on the offseason moves. It is way too early to make an evaluation of our offseason at this point.

I do feel your pain.

Latch onto something next season like watching Cutler's growth...and then hope the next regime can close the deal.

I know its just words coming out of my mouth...hell I got the bears C tattooed on my back so can't turn now...

but this just makes me sick...and I can't hop in with the "oh well we'll be ok in 3 years" crowd.

Look, Lovie, Martz, Tice, Marinelli, Angelo, etc... They are all going to fight like hell to keep their jobs, they do not want to be seeking other positions next year. I do not know if they will be successful in righting the ship or not but I can guarantee you they will do the best damn job they can. Now are they capable of the job? I honestly do not know. It is not all on them. The players have to remain healthy and perform up to their abilities also. The only thing we can do is sit back and see what happens.

I disagree with them giving extra fight this year. First, I think anyone in the profession is competetive as hell and always puts forth an effort to succeed. IE: coaches are always maxed out. I simply think the floor for Lovie is lower than the league average for coaches. He took an ultra talented team that was supposed to be great, despite Rex Grossman, and turned it into a steaming pile. Marinelli did little to nothing to improve our D line. Tice and Martz seem to fit together like "Heat Miser and Cold Miser". Who knows what real young talent we have, because the staff has proven inept at developing them. Lastly, I can't stand Mike Martz as an OC choice. He single handedly cost the Rams a Superbowl because of his arrogant / stubborn play calling. Plus, his system is not easily learned in a yeard time. I'll be drunk on kool-aid come opening day. But, today, I;m just not feeling it.

I agree we should see how the off-season unfolds before we condemn the team, but it's realistic to expect the worst at this point. Hopefully, we get some great talent fall to us in the draft due to more underclassmen declaring. And hopefully the money we saved by not canning Lovie gets applied to a free agent signing bonus or two.

I know I won't be walking away from the Bears this next year, but here is the rub for me right now. Ted Phillips gets up there at the press conference and says that the move for two new coordinators is a significant move; that the cleaning of the house was a major move and then we get.......Rod Marinelli. I'll even applaud the Martz hire over this move. "Everyone" wants to come coach for this team, but the best we get is a guy who was already here, it's no different than promoting Bob Babich. Moving up your "best move of last season" from a performance that was non descript to the coordinator's position is not a significant move.

All the Bears did with this move is cement the idea that Lovie, save a miracle, is one and done at this point. This in itself should make me happy but I just don't like the Halas Hall attitude about the significance of these moves, they are not, they are settling moves.

I'm just tired of the insults that keep coming out of Lake Forest.

I was hoping to get a new perspective leading our D. I'm on board with Martz simply because I think he was the best available and didn't want a rookie OC learning on the job. With Martz it's boom or bust. With Marinelli, I have no clue what to expect. What bothers me most is that last year he stated clearly this was job he didn't want. Now this year he gets the job but without really being considered in the mix. It's one thing if he changed his mind and clearly wanted to take on this challenge but if he's just doing this because nobody else wants to that's not a good feeling for fans or the players. As always I'll wish for the best and criticize the rest.

Here's the reality of the situation. Lovie wanted to hire Fewell however there was no way he would choose the Bears over the Giants. With the Giants he was getting better talent and a chance to run the defense on his own (Couglin's expertise is on offense). He would have been #2 to Lovie here on defense and we all know that.

They felt their next best option was Marinelli who Lovie had tried to hire when he was originally hired. I would have preferred they wait to interview Williams but its over so we move on.

Peace :dabears

I do not see how with Orton, minus Nolan and probably Marshall will be gone soon that Denver is a better team to root for over the Bears? We might not like every move the Bears make but JA did bring in a real QB. I will not betray the beloved and will root for the team that aquired Cutler not get rid of him and a future hall of fame head coach! The Broncos are closer to the being the Cheifs than the Charges so have fun rooting for the donkeys next year!

I disagree with them giving extra fight this year. First, I think anyone in the profession is competetive as hell and always puts forth an effort to succeed. IE: coaches are always maxed out. I simply think the floor for Lovie is lower than the league average for coaches. He took an ultra talented team that was supposed to be great, despite Rex Grossman, and turned it into a steaming pile. Marinelli did little to nothing to improve our D line. Tice and Martz seem to fit together like "Heat Miser and Cold Miser". Who knows what real young talent we have, because the staff has proven inept at developing them. Lastly, I can't stand Mike Martz as an OC choice. He single handedly cost the Rams a Superbowl because of his arrogant / stubborn play calling. Plus, his system is not easily learned in a yeard time. I'll be drunk on kool-aid come opening day. But, today, I;m just not feeling it.

I agree we should see how the off-season unfolds before we condemn the team, but it's realistic to expect the worst at this point. Hopefully, we get some great talent fall to us in the draft due to more underclassmen declaring. And hopefully the money we saved by not canning Lovie gets applied to a free agent signing bonus or two.

There is a lot of speculative thinking in this post. A lot of "I think" and "Tice amd Martz seem..." say you not only don't know exactly how things are going to go you HOPE they do. Two things you said; "He took an ultra-talented team...and turned it into a steaming pile" which year are you referencing? The year they went to the Super Bowl or ??? That year would contradict you statemen. The second; "He (Martz) single handedly cost the Rams a SuperBowl..." Which Super Bowl was it? He did make it to two while coaching with the Rams after all. And his overall record as an HC is 56-36 (per Wikipedia) which in myh book is not a losing trend.

As far as the Defensive side. Most here would agree that the Defense improved in the last two games of the season. Especially in that game against Minnesota. The Defense played inspired and seemed pretty happy when they sacked Favre, or caused Peterson to fumble. And this was despite 4-5 of their starters not being in the game. What was that again about "undeveloped talent"?. Now if the trend continues and someone like Marinelli is running the "D" with his "sis boom bah" type of coaching, who knows? They could end up being pretty darn good.

I believe that Pix was being speculative too about how things are going to be in the coming year. But at least it's positive speculation. I have to agree that if your are so dissatisfied with the direction of this team and want to follow another team until the Bears rise to prominence once again, then please enjoy watching your new team. My money's on the Bears making it back to the playoffs in the next season. See you then.