WTF!!!!!

CrackerDog

If Mike Tice wanted one of the O-linemen available, I think we would have drafted one. All reports have been that he's reasonably happy with the group we have. I don't think this is a "JA is so stupid" situation as much as it is a new guy in Tice who has come in and thinks he can turn this group around. If that doesn't happen, then we can freak out. But, given his track record, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

When you get to the 6th and 7th round the chances of them even making the team is huge. Sure, it happens, but the chances???

I was surprised by the QB pick but if they felt that he was the highest graded player on the board at the time, why not give it a roll?

I liked the first 3 picks. I am hopeful that the OL with Tice as the OL Coach and the emergence of Chris Williams allowing other players to return to their better positions will allow our OL to be much improved.

Also remember, once the draft is over, the Bears and other teams will be looking at not only a lot of undrafted free agents but will be looking to fill any remaining questions on their rosters with FAs that remain out on the market.

I also suspect there will be more players that become available this summer.

6th and 7th round picks are hard to project. Odds are that there wouldnt have been an OLineman that would have been an upgrade for the immediate future. So, you go for abilities and potential.

Exactly. Further, the o-line was upgraded when they benched Pace. They have also moved Omiyale to RT. My only concern right now is LG and Beekman did start 16 games 2 years ago. I have heard they like the development of Lance Luis. Tice has had a chance to watch these guys for sometime now. If he felt there was a major issue I'm sure they would have made a move. If it doesn't work out, the coaching staff with be gone.

Peace :dabears

6th and 7th round picks are hard to project. Odds are that there wouldnt have been an OLineman that would have been an upgrade for the immediate future. So, you go for abilities and potential.

Agreed AtHomeBoy. That and I still think we'll pick up an offensive guard from somewhere or another. Be it Faneca or someone else.

I was not saying JA was stupid for the LeFevour pick as much as not addressing the biggest glaring weakness our team had. We all knew our only shot at a starting OL was the 3rd round and we got a safety, which was also a glaring hole. I am saying he is stupid more for the fact that he has basically ignored the OL in the draft for the past 6 years and it is showing in that we have very little if any talent to fall back on. 6th and 7th round picks are basically camp fodder and who cares, but the constant inattention has put our OL on life support...

Exactly. Further, the o-line was upgraded when they benched Pace. They have also moved Omiyale to RT. My only concern right now is LG and Beekman did start 16 games 2 years ago. I have heard they like the development of Lance Luis. Tice has had a chance to watch these guys for sometime now. If he felt there was a major issue I'm sure they would have made a move. If it doesn't work out, the coaching staff with be gone.

Yeah, I'm inclined to trust Tice. He has a great track record of developing young guys, and we have a lot of young guys with potential. Also, maybe now that Omiyale's been moved to RT, Beekman will get a legit shot to lock down the starting LG job long-term. At this point, his production pretty much speaks for itself - he's not an elite guard or anything, but he's steady and gets it done.

I think you are all drinking the anti JA koolaid. The pick makes sense in being the best player available. If we picked OL they felt would not make the team then why pick him? There was opening for a 3rd QB. Martz loves his Quaterbacks. Iam of the mindset that this will be taking care of through FA as undrafted FA's. There are some still out there. And if we dont pay a ton for em thats even better.

Mel Kiper said this guy would have been the #4 QB on his board based on talent/athletic ability, but he needs a lot of work on his fundamentals. Nothing wrong with grabbing that in the 6th and sticking him on the bench for a couple years.

Didn't Kiper say something like he'd quit if Jimmy Clausen didn't go in the first round? That being said, for as mediocre as this team is, we're fairly deep with veterans at most positions. QB is the one position where we can draft a 6th rounder and he'll actually make the team.

Plus he's from Naperville and has similar size and athleticism as Cutler.

Nice pick.

Didn't Kiper say something like he'd quit if Jimmy Clausen didn't go in the first round? That being said, for as mediocre as this team is, we're fairly deep with veterans at most positions. QB is the one position where we can draft a 6th rounder and he'll actually make the team.

Plus he's from Naperville and has similar size and athleticism as Cutler.

Nice pick.

After seeing his numbers and his response to the pick, I think I like it. He's got time, if he sticks, to learn from Martz and Cutler.

After seeing his numbers and his response to the pick, I think I like it. He's got time, if he sticks, to learn from Martz and Cutler.

If it works, it's a good pick. It'd be nice to be one of those teams like New England or Green Bay who can bring up their backup QBs for a couple of years, then ship them off for a higher pick than they spent to get the guy.

If it works, it's a good pick. It'd be nice to be one of those teams like New England or Green Bay who can bring up their backup QBs for a couple of years, then ship them off for a higher pick than they spent to get the guy.

That's what I'm thinking. It's actually kind of nice to draft a QB because we want to and not because we have to for a change...

I like the pick. How many years have there been post on this forum gripping about not drafting a QB. This is the first draft in a few years that I recall the Bears not reaching on picks.

My grade for the Bears draft: A-

1st Round: Jay Cutler, best QB in the draft if he were in it he'd would have been a Ram!

2nd Round: no pick; can't believe the NFL did not give the Bears a conditional pick somewhere in this draft.

3rd Round: Major Wright; we may not all agree that he was the BPA but he certainly fills a need with out reaching.

4th Round: Corey Wooten; most feel a top tier DE talent before knee injury and think his upside is worth the risk - good pick.

5th Round: Joshua Moore, We need CB depth and he seems like good value here.

6th Round: Dan LeFevour; QB did not expect this pick but like the idea. Better than what this team has done in the past 6th and 7th rounds

7th Round: J'Marcus Webb OT; one thing forsure is that he is big! Additonally; I bet that he is a better pro than J'Marcus Russell. Seems like a low risk high reward pick that I like in the 7th!

This may not have been a flashy draft but I really like the fact that JA managed to fill needs without trying to be to cute. Since I live in the Denver area It will be interesting to see how the Broncos turn out next season after all the wheeling and dealing they made.

Peace :dabears

I don't know about you, but I'm not confident in Cutler's health when it is protected by friggin Omiyale at RT and Beekman at OG. Neither of those two guys inspire confidence in me.

This draft should have had attention to OL before CB and/or QB.

I don't know about you, but I'm not confident in Cutler's health when it is protected by friggin Omiyale at RT and Beekman at OG. Neither of those two guys inspire confidence in me.

This draft should have had attention to OL before CB and/or QB.

Cutler can take a beating. That dude went against SEC pass rushes with a godawful Vanderbilt line: he got sacked a ton in college and never went out. I think he can hold his own.

Cutler can take a beating. That dude went against SEC pass rushes with a godawful Vanderbilt line: he got sacked a ton in college and never went out. I think he can hold his own.

As someone who was nearly indestructible as a younger man, fighting through bumps and bruises that should have been massive injuries, and having torn an MCL/ACL combo in the past three months, I can confirm that age plays a large part in being able to recover from bumps and bruises and avoid injuries. If we want Cutler to be around for years to come - much like our hated nemesis - then he needs to be protected so that he doesn't have to "hold his own."

As someone who was nearly indestructible as a younger man, fighting through bumps and bruises that should have been massive injuries, and having torn an MCL/ACL combo in the past three months, I can confirm that age plays a large part in being able to recover from bumps and bruises and avoid injuries. If we want Cutler to be around for years to come - much like our hated nemesis - then he needs to be protected so that he doesn't have to "hold his own."

Agreed with the importance of protecting Cutler. Every year it gets a little rougher to get our of bed in the morning . . . and I'm 4 years younger then Favre. Just because Cutler can take a beating doesn't mean he should.

Disagree with drafting o-linemen no matter what. This was a weak draft for offensive linemen and I didn't see any we could have drafted that would have helped the team this year. There's nobody we could have drafted immediately better then Shaffer/Omiyale or Beekman. Wright is projected to start, Wootton will contribute, and is tough to find gold in the 5th. Next year we should be drafting 32 which is an excellent place to pick a guard :cheers

Let me ask you: Would you be happy if we signed Faneca? For me that makes up for ignoring the position this offseason. That would leave us with 3 old interior linemen. He would be a one year band aid but we can't ignore the position much longer.