Bears selected Unga

adam

Bears selected BYU RB/FB Harvey Unga in the seventh-round of Thursday's supplemental draft.

Coordinator Mike Martz doesn't use a traditional lead blocker, but he appreciates a big back with pass catching ability. We've seen nothing to suggest that Unga will be a better prospect than tweeners such as Brian Leonard or Peyton Hillis, so fantasy owners should temper their enthusiasm for his long-term value. He may end up on the Bears' practice squad after missing an opportunity to learn Martz's complicated scheme in spring workouts.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38265242/ns/...ts-player_news/

Expect Jason to go ape-$hit when he gets wind of what we just did :)

I have no issue with the move. We lacked a legit power RB, and this guy may even be able to play FB. He was considered a solid talent, but his stock tanked due to a weak 40 (I think he ran a 4.65/40). That would be awful if he were viewed as a tailback, but as a back expected to pickup short yardage, who cares if he doesn't have good 40 speed.

I think Bell and Wolfe are gone, though not before camp. Problem with those two is, they simply do not bring much different to the table from the top two guys. Unga absolutely brings something different to the table.

The only knock for me in losing Wolfe is the loss of his special teams play, which was dang good, but we have also added more special teams players, so I think we should continue to be solid going forward.

In looking back at the FBs that Martz had in StL, they aren't generally a block first type of player. They were more apt to be more of a running/receiving threat first and a blocker second. I'm not saying that they were incompetent at blocking, I'm just saying it wasn't their primary skill.

I can see him making the roster as the FB and that wouldn't affect Wolfe or Bell.

The way I look at it is this guy has better credentials and upside as a prospect than anything we would have been able to select in the 7th round next year. Therefore, it is a no risk pickup. Even if he does not make it, how many 7th rounders do? (I know there are exceptions to that question but the odds are high.)

Could still affect Bell/Wolfe in one sense.

Some thought we could simply not keep a FB this year, with the believe Manu (TE) could fill the dual role of TE/FB.

If that was to be the case, it would then be possible to keep a 4th RB as you free up a spot w/o a FB. Now, that spot could also go to an extra TE, but just saying, it was possible to be open. Now, if Unga is going to fill the FB spot, either Wolfe or Bell may stick, but not both.

I like Wolfe, and love what he brings on special teams, but simply do not really see his value. Sure, he could offer something as a 3rd down type of RB, but on the other hand, I am not sure he would be better on 3rd downs than our top 2 RBs. You don't pull one of them to allow Wolfe a chance.

Bell doesn't offer much either, but I would say is better depth if one of the top 2 go down with injury. Bell can more likely handle a greater workload, while Wolfe can't.

In looking back at the FBs that Martz had in StL, they aren't generally a block first type of player. They were more apt to be more of a running/receiving threat first and a blocker second. I'm not saying that they were incompetent at blocking, I'm just saying it wasn't their primary skill.

I can see him making the roster as the FB and that wouldn't affect Wolfe or Bell.

If he can be a legit FB, unlike the putz we let go this past off-season, I'll be thrilled!

It a good thing to have a beefy meathead crushing forward either blocking or running!

Something tells me Wolfe will somehow remain....

Expect Jason to go ape-$hit when he gets wind of what we just did :)

I have no issue with the move. We lacked a legit power RB, and this guy may even be able to play FB. He was considered a solid talent, but his stock tanked due to a weak 40 (I think he ran a 4.65/40). That would be awful if he were viewed as a tailback, but as a back expected to pickup short yardage, who cares if he doesn't have good 40 speed.

I think Bell and Wolfe are gone, though not before camp. Problem with those two is, they simply do not bring much different to the table from the top two guys. Unga absolutely brings something different to the table.

The only knock for me in losing Wolfe is the loss of his special teams play, which was dang good, but we have also added more special teams players, so I think we should continue to be solid going forward.

Thanks for the sip of Kool-aid!

I'm high on this pick now!

Pumped that the bears got him. As a fullback he will be great. Unlike fullbacks of bears recent past he hits people right in the mouth. I hate BYU but loved watching him flat out run over people. Doesn't waste time trying to juke people he knows he is 250. Love the pick up.

While there was a lot of interest in Unga, I was ticked about our getting him till I saw it cost us only a 7th. That doesn't bother me at all.

Say good bye to Wolf and Bell

Which is sad...because Wolfe has NEVER been used appropriately, and he'll do more on special teams than Unga.

Could still affect Bell/Wolfe in one sense.

Some thought we could simply not keep a FB this year, with the believe Manu (TE) could fill the dual role of TE/FB.

If that was to be the case, it would then be possible to keep a 4th RB as you free up a spot w/o a FB. Now, that spot could also go to an extra TE, but just saying, it was possible to be open. Now, if Unga is going to fill the FB spot, either Wolfe or Bell may stick, but not both.

I like Wolfe, and love what he brings on special teams, but simply do not really see his value. Sure, he could offer something as a 3rd down type of RB, but on the other hand, I am not sure he would be better on 3rd downs than our top 2 RBs. You don't pull one of them to allow Wolfe a chance.

Bell doesn't offer much either, but I would say is better depth if one of the top 2 go down with injury. Bell can more likely handle a greater workload, while Wolfe can't.

Sadly, this can never be proven either way. But I don't see why you automatically assume Wolfe can't handle the workload. It's not like little RBs before haven't been able to do it. He's every bit the size of Darren Sproles, and 20 pounds stockier than Warrick Dunn. It's a BS presumption on something we've never seen.

And, you called it right, I'm irritated if the pick up of a FB who didn't get drafted, and most likely won't see much playing time in the Mike Martz system, ends up costing the Bears a unique talent that has been incredibly underused and does nothing but bust his ass on special teams.

Which is sad...because Wolfe has NEVER been used appropriately, and he'll do more on special teams than Unga.

Wolfe's ST play may save him. Be nice to see if Martz can manage to get some use out of him.

I see a bit more top end speed than a 4.65 forty would indicate. He has good vision and good balance, enough to make one cut and go. I could see him as a RB for us but IMO he's more of a FB. In the FB role I really like him, as long as he can hit people. I think grabbing him with a 7th RD pick was a good move but his presence puts pressure not only on Wolfe and Bell but also on the TEs and FBs. I say TEs because awhile back there was a lot of talk about keeping 4 TEs with no FB and Manu filling in as our HB/FB. If Unga fills the FB role then it could mean we lose Dez Clark or Davis. Overall it's good we have added a player who is unique on the roster in his size/ability and our coaches have a lot of ways to get the best players on the roster and on the field.

I tend to think Wolfe has an advantage on the competition because of his special teams play but that all has to play out too. Other guys like Josh Moore, Iglesias, etc. fighting for playing time he might end up expendable there too. Do we keep Unga as RB or FB? Or practice squad? Let the competition begin!

My impressions from the video:

He looks faster than 4.6

He looks smaller than 240+

He looks like he needs a good deal of work in the weight room

He showed some good moves in the open field

He had quite a few runs around the corner which I did not expect

I don't know, some mixed emotions on my part as I was looking for a old style smash mouth fullback which I did not see on the film but may well be worth a gamble for a 7th round pick

Even if he gets cut, no big deal

Why is it assumed Unga makes the team??? I personally assume that anybody we draft in the 7th round is headed for the practice squad.

Not to mention a 7th round RB who is built and runs like a fullback. The blocking requires a great deal of physical & mental maturation . . . he'll need to develop.

Who was the last 7th round gem we drafted? I did like Trumaine McBride . . .

If Wolfe doesn't make the team it's not because of Unga.

Going to start where you ended. As we made the choice to take him, would you not agree Martz was part of that decision? If that is the case, (a) I question why you say he would not even see much playing time and (B) if we are looking to add another RB, might that not question how much Martz was/is planning to use Wolfe in anyway? If Martz is/was not planning to use Wolfe much, I am not sure I see the negative adding a RB he may in fact use.

Back to Wolfe specific,

He is not built like Sproles. Just because they have the similar height/weight does not mean they are the same. Several of our coaches have specifically said he is NOT built like Sproles. Very different lower body structure.

With that said, is it absolute Wolfe can't be a high level of workload. No, it isn't absolute, but come on. Sure, you can go through and pick out a name or two to show it is possible, but you are talking about the exceptions, not the rule. Sure, Wolfe could be another exception, but they are very rare and I just don't understand why you "expect" him to be the exception.

Let me ask you this. As it stands now, when does Wolfe play? Lets assume for just a moment that we have the Forte we saw his rookie year, and Taylor basically lives up to expectation. When do you play Wolfe in favor of one of these two? Both are excellent receiving RBs, and far superior blockers to Wolfe, and thus I would not pull them for Wolfe on 3rd downs. Frankly, I can't really think of any down I would want to pull either in favor of Wolfe. Sure, Wolfe may have a bit more speed, but he isn't an all-purpose back, and thus he would either tip the play or be a liability.

In Unga, we have added a power runner, which is frankly something we lacked. Forte runs too upright, even as a rookie when he ran well, to be considered a power guy, and while Taylor is an upgrade in that regard, he is not a power runner either. So often we have struggled to pickup those tough yards, and we may now have a runner capable of doing this.

So in Unga, I see a player who adds something different to what we currently have, while with Wolfe, I see little that he brings to the table, with the exception of special teams, which is significant, but may not be enough.

Sadly, this can never be proven either way. But I don't see why you automatically assume Wolfe can't handle the workload. It's not like little RBs before haven't been able to do it. He's every bit the size of Darren Sproles, and 20 pounds stockier than Warrick Dunn. It's a BS presumption on something we've never seen.

And, you called it right, I'm irritated if the pick up of a FB who didn't get drafted, and most likely won't see much playing time in the Mike Martz system, ends up costing the Bears a unique talent that has been incredibly underused and does nothing but bust his ass on special teams.

More than FB, where I see Unga potentially adding the most is with short yardage running, which we have struggled with in the past. Sure, part of that is due to an OL that didn't get push, but part of that was also on Forte. Everyone has said that Forte runs too upright to consistently pickup that short yardage situation. If Unga can come in and pickup that yard or two on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2, he could prove very usefull.

I see a bit more top end speed than a 4.65 forty would indicate. He has good vision and good balance, enough to make one cut and go. I could see him as a RB for us but IMO he's more of a FB. In the FB role I really like him, as long as he can hit people. I think grabbing him with a 7th RD pick was a good move but his presence puts pressure not only on Wolfe and Bell but also on the TEs and FBs. I say TEs because awhile back there was a lot of talk about keeping 4 TEs with no FB and Manu filling in as our HB/FB. If Unga fills the FB role then it could mean we lose Dez Clark or Davis. Overall it's good we have added a player who is unique on the roster in his size/ability and our coaches have a lot of ways to get the best players on the roster and on the field.

I tend to think Wolfe has an advantage on the competition because of his special teams play but that all has to play out too. Other guys like Josh Moore, Iglesias, etc. fighting for playing time he might end up expendable there too. Do we keep Unga as RB or FB? Or practice squad? Let the competition begin!

Your right that it is far from a lock he makes the team. At the same time, I think there is reason to believe he makes the team. We showed a great amount on interest in him leading up to the Supp draft, far more than you usually see with a typical draft 7th round pick. Further, that we made the move at all may indicate a question about the players currently on the roster.

As I have said elsewhere, I am not sure if he is a RB or FB, but what I think he may have been drafted for was the short yardage role, which Forte has struggled with at times due to his upright running style.

Why is it assumed Unga makes the team??? I personally assume that anybody we draft in the 7th round is headed for the practice squad.

Not to mention a 7th round RB who is built and runs like a fullback. The blocking requires a great deal of physical & mental maturation . . . he'll need to develop.

Who was the last 7th round gem we drafted? I did like Trumaine McBride . . .

If Wolfe doesn't make the team it's not because of Unga.

Going to start where you ended. As we made the choice to take him, would you not agree Martz was part of that decision? If that is the case, (a) I question why you say he would not even see much playing time and (B) if we are looking to add another RB, might that not question how much Martz was/is planning to use Wolfe in anyway? If Martz is/was not planning to use Wolfe much, I am not sure I see the negative adding a RB he may in fact use.

I view this as a Lovie decision, not a Martz decision. The addition of a RB is not necessary in a Martz offense because we have two RBs that can get short yardage, and we will have a ton of quick pass plays to get short yardage. If Martz is running the offense, the FB will not see much playing time. That is a FACT.

Back to Wolfe specific,

He is not built like Sproles. Just because they have the similar height/weight does not mean they are the same. Several of our coaches have specifically said he is NOT built like Sproles. Very different lower body structure.

With that said, is it absolute Wolfe can't be a high level of workload. No, it isn't absolute, but come on. Sure, you can go through and pick out a name or two to show it is possible, but you are talking about the exceptions, not the rule. Sure, Wolfe could be another exception, but they are very rare and I just don't understand why you "expect" him to be the exception.

The thing I've mentioned NUMEROUS times on this board is that WE JUST DON'T KNOW. I'd say if he made it this far, dominated in high school despite being told he was too small, dominated in college despite being told he was too small, then MAYBE, he might be another exception. They are rare, but he's in the NFL. Period. But until he's given the chance, we'll never know.

Let me ask you this. As it stands now, when does Wolfe play? Lets assume for just a moment that we have the Forte we saw his rookie year, and Taylor basically lives up to expectation. When do you play Wolfe in favor of one of these two? Both are excellent receiving RBs, and far superior blockers to Wolfe, and thus I would not pull them for Wolfe on 3rd downs. Frankly, I can't really think of any down I would want to pull either in favor of Wolfe. Sure, Wolfe may have a bit more speed, but he isn't an all-purpose back, and thus he would either tip the play or be a liability.

In Unga, we have added a power runner, which is frankly something we lacked. Forte runs too upright, even as a rookie when he ran well, to be considered a power guy, and while Taylor is an upgrade in that regard, he is not a power runner either. So often we have struggled to pickup those tough yards, and we may now have a runner capable of doing this.

So in Unga, I see a player who adds something different to what we currently have, while with Wolfe, I see little that he brings to the table, with the exception of special teams, which is significant, but may not be enough.

When does Wolfe run? In the very rare downs that Unga would spell Forte and Taylor. To be quite honest, I don't see the reason for a third back with such a great 1-2 punch. But if there is a third, Wolfe adds more than Unga, IMHO. And this garbage about an all-purpose back...can it stop please. Aside from the run up the gut against the #1 rushing defense in the NFL, a play that didn't work with any RB behind the Bears OL against ANY defense the last couple years, he's done well when given the shot. I can't recall the game, but I remember Wolfe picking up the blitz fairly well a few times. The one that gets blown out of proportion, however, was when someone hurdled him in a freakish display of athleticism. He's less a liability than common misconception would have us believe.

With Unga in, the Bears would be just as predictable as if Wolfe were in there. Guess what the play is! FB DIVE. Oh no, not this shit again. If you think Unga adds a more unique aspect to the offense then Wolfe, then I don't think you remember Wolfe in the open field. Whenever uniqueness Unga adds, Wolfe adds just as much. In my opinion, more. ESPECIALLY in a Martz offense where the field is spread so much.

I like the pick. Worst-case scenario, he goes to the practice squad and we see if we have anything. Best-case scenario, I think he can be sort of a poor man's TJ Duckett and make the roster as a goal-line and short-yardage back. That hinges, of course, on whether he can play special teams. As much as I think Garrett Wolfe will never be a successful NFL running back, he is a very good special teams player, and Unga's going to have to prove that he's at least as valuable there.

If he can play the Duckett role and do it effectively, it could really make a big difference for the Bears' offense, especially Cutler. I think a big part of the reason that Cutler had so many red-zone picks last season (apart from the decision-making factor, which is on him) was that defenses knew we couldn't punch it in on the ground. So Cutler would drive down to the 10 or the 5, and then he'd be dealing with a short field and a defense that knew the pass was coming. With (hopefully) better blocking from the o-line under Tice and a potential short-yardage back in Unga, the Bears might be able to trade some of those red-zone turnovers for touchdowns.

I like the pick. Worst-case scenario, he goes to the practice squad and we see if we have anything. Best-case scenario, I think he can be sort of a poor man's TJ Duckett and make the roster as a goal-line and short-yardage back. That hinges, of course, on whether he can play special teams. As much as I think Garrett Wolfe will never be a successful NFL running back, he is a very good special teams player, and Unga's going to have to prove that he's at least as valuable there.

If he can play the Duckett role and do it effectively, it could really make a big difference for the Bears' offense, especially Cutler. I think a big part of the reason that Cutler had so many red-zone picks last season (apart from the decision-making factor, which is on him) was that defenses knew we couldn't punch it in on the ground. So Cutler would drive down to the 10 or the 5, and then he'd be dealing with a short field and a defense that knew the pass was coming. With (hopefully) better blocking from the o-line under Tice and a potential short-yardage back in Unga, the Bears might be able to trade some of those red-zone turnovers for touchdowns.

I hope you're right. But what I see is a bigger, slower RB behind an OL that is not good at blocking, and worse at drive blocking. All the Unga pick does in a play like that is make the collision sound better as he's continually stuffed for no gain.