Training Camp Surprise

AZ54

Just one more day of waiting until we start getting feedback on this years team looks. Who will be this years "surprise" and who will take the disappointment trophy away from Marcus Harrison (if anyone)?

Surprise: I'm stuck choosing between the two Corey's (Wooten and Graham) but I'm going to go with Corey Graham. By all accounts he's had an excellent offseason and the speed work he did is paying off on the field. After being cast aside last year he returns this year as a viable CB option for us and gives us some desperately needed depth at this position.

Disappointment: Jarron Gilbert. A 3rd Rd pick just a year ago he wasn't ready to see the field. After a pretty nondescript offseason I think he ends up as one of those tweeners who never really settled into a position (DE or DT). I don't expect much more from him this year.

For suprise, I will stick with my boy Iglesias. Like Graham, I read he has looked very good in the OTAs. While there were reports he struggled to grasp the offense as a rookie, I think it may have simply been Turner not knowing what to do with more than 3 WRs. I mean, if DA couldn't make the game day roster, how was Iglesias supposed to.

For disappointment, I could easily go with Melton, or like you, Gilbert, but I think to rate disappointment, the player has to come in with expectations. I don't think there are high expectations for either Gilbert, nor Melton. I think I will go with Harris, who is expected to be a starter. I didn't read great reports about his play at FS, where I consider him out of position in the first place, and fear he could struggle there through camp, especially facing our speedy WRs, big arm QB and downfield mentality OC.

Just one more day of waiting until we start getting feedback on this years team looks. Who will be this years "surprise" and who will take the disappointment trophy away from Marcus Harrison (if anyone)?

Surprise: I'm stuck choosing between the two Corey's (Wooten and Graham) but I'm going to go with Corey Graham. By all accounts he's had an excellent offseason and the speed work he did is paying off on the field. After being cast aside last year he returns this year as a viable CB option for us and gives us some desperately needed depth at this position.

Disappointment: Jarron Gilbert. A 3rd Rd pick just a year ago he wasn't ready to see the field. After a pretty nondescript offseason I think he ends up as one of those tweeners who never really settled into a position (DE or DT). I don't expect much more from him this year.

I see your point on Gilbert but the fact expectations have fallen so far so fast on a 3rd Rd pick pretty much tell the story.

I really hope you are wrong about Chris Harris but if he remains at FS that may prove to be true. I still have trouble seeing DManning as our starting SS because he doesn't hit well. Again, this is Lovie insisting on putting two square pegs on the field instead of letting Harris be the right fit at SS and then doing the best we can at FS. I'd rather have one hole you know about than creating two problems. In either situation if your hope is that Major Wright gets it together and can play at least by midseason wouldn't you still be better off letting Harris practice at SS all through camp and the first half of the season?

If this crap about how our safety positions are the same then why is it that the FS has to make the play calls?

Surprise: Olsen. He's been written off, and I think Martz could use that to the team's advantage. He's basically a slow WR...Martz, if truly a genius, should be able to utilize mis-matches.

Disappointment: Chris Harris. I didn't think he was all that when he was here, and nothing really makes me think he's any better since. But he's an upgrade I think. I just doubt that the coaches (ie. Smith) will put him in at the correct safety slot...

Surprise: #99 Marcus Harrison--Last year he was out of shape. This year he's said to be a monster. Year #3 will be a breakthrough.

Disappointment: #90 Julius Peppers--His number indicates the millions we're paying him. Anything less then a pro-bowl will be a disappointment. Wale never lived up to his potential. Seeing what a big contract did for Fat Albert in Washington doesn't make me optimistic.

On a side note, where the hell is Wale? Teams jumped all over Alex Brown, but Wale's still available. I haven't heard of a team even expressing interest.

At the end of the day, I think it is all about your final point. This staff continues to insist the safety positions are interchangable. I mean, Wright was drafted to be our FS, and yet has been practicing at SS. This staff believes he can simply move over whenever, but I think that is crap.

Another player not often talked about on this board is Steltz. He actually looked pretty decent at the end of the season, and from all reports, has really stood out in OTAs playing FS. What I wish our staff would do:

(a) Steltz and Wright compete at FS. If Wright shows he is close to ready, he wins the job. If not, Steltz gets the nod. Sorry, but I don't think there is a dropoff from Harris to Steltz.

(B) Harris and Afalava compete at SS. Really, its Harris job to lose, but if he has lost as much as Carolina felt, Afalava could take it over. If Wright wins the FS job, Steltz may get in the mix here too.

© We stop trying to make DM something he is not. He has proven a solid nickel and excellent return man. Use him that way and keep his confidence high, rather than forcing him into positions which ultimately just kill his confidence. This also allows our CB depth to focus on practicing/developing on the outside, which could be key with two starting CBs who both have injury pasts.

I see your point on Gilbert but the fact expectations have fallen so far so fast on a 3rd Rd pick pretty much tell the story.

I really hope you are wrong about Chris Harris but if he remains at FS that may prove to be true. I still have trouble seeing DManning as our starting SS because he doesn't hit well. Again, this is Lovie insisting on putting two square pegs on the field instead of letting Harris be the right fit at SS and then doing the best we can at FS. I'd rather have one hole you know about than creating two problems. In either situation if your hope is that Major Wright gets it together and can play at least by midseason wouldn't you still be better off letting Harris practice at SS all through camp and the first half of the season?

If this crap about how our safety positions are the same then why is it that the FS has to make the play calls?

Surprise: #99 Marcus Harrison--Last year he was out of shape. This year he's said to be a monster. Year #3 will be a breakthrough.

This would be flat out huge for the DL, and the defense. Harrison was said to have 1st round talent, but slipped in the draft due to some character concerns. If he does prove to be the player our scouts felt, that would have huge ripple effects along the DL.

Disappointment: #90 Julius Peppers--His number indicates the millions we're paying him. Anything less then a pro-bowl will be a disappointment. Wale never lived up to his potential. Seeing what a big contract did for Fat Albert in Washington doesn't make me optimistic.

To me, the only way Peppers really proves a disappointment is if none of the other DL step up. Even if he is a stud, if no other DL steps up, Peppers will be double and even triple teamed and taken out of the picture. For Peppers to really shine, others along the DL need to prevent teams from focusing too much on Peppers.

It surprised me that you feel Harrison will be the surprise and yet Peppers the disappointment. Personally, I think they are tied together. If Peppers is a bust, no way do I see Harrison having stepped up. If Harrison does step up however, no way do I see Peppers failing.

I would not compare Peppers with Wale. Wale was a stud for Miami opposite Jason Taylor. Wale was a good DE, but w/o Taylor, not the player we traded for. This time, we basically got Taylor.

On a side note, where the hell is Wale? Teams jumped all over Alex Brown, but Wale's still available. I haven't heard of a team even expressing interest.

No clue what is up there. While not a stud, he was a pretty good DE. He is better than many strating DEs out there. I have not heard/read about injury, or ridiculous contract demands, so I am simply not sure why there has been no interent in him.

Surprise: Olsen. He's been written off, and I think Martz could use that to the team's advantage. He's basically a slow WR...Martz, if truly a genius, should be able to utilize mis-matches.

Disappointment: Chris Harris. I didn't think he was all that when he was here, and nothing really makes me think he's any better since. But he's an upgrade I think. I just doubt that the coaches (ie. Smith) will put him in at the correct safety slot...

i am very anxious to see what alex Brown does for New Orleans. I have a feeling he will do better there than he did here. Just for the simple fact of our defense of coaching, cover 2, etc. They say its's a copy cat league, and we still do the 7 year old cover 2, why not just do the old 46, that won a super bowl? I want a defense of coach for this traditionally "defense of team", with some imagination. Not a defense of system that offenses have already played and know how to expose. The bears will never win with a finess D, but a smash mouth D. with intimination might.

I also am curious as to what Brown does in NO. I honestly think we screwed up by letting him go.

I love your thoughts on what the D should be! While I don't necessarily want to go back to the 46...I just want the D to kick ass. The hybrid of the cover-2 we play is garbage, completely beatable w/o a monsterous D line surge and kickass D Back like Mike Brown in his heyday.

I can honestly go on and on about how much Smith blows regarding the neutering of our once proud defensive tradition...but I'll save my venom for later on! ;)

i am very anxious to see what alex Brown does for New Orleans. I have a feeling he will do better there than he did here. Just for the simple fact of our defense of coaching, cover 2, etc. They say its's a copy cat league, and we still do the 7 year old cover 2, why not just do the old 46, that won a super bowl? I want a defense of coach for this traditionally "defense of team", with some imagination. Not a defense of system that offenses have already played and know how to expose. The bears will never win with a finess D, but a smash mouth D. with intimination might.

I also am curious as to what Brown does in NO. I honestly think we screwed up by letting him go.

I love your thoughts on what the D should be! While I don't necessarily want to go back to the 46...I just want the D to kick ass. The hybrid of the cover-2 we play is garbage, completely beatable w/o a monsterous D line surge and kickass D Back like Mike Brown in his heyday.

I can honestly go on and on about how much Smith blows regarding the neutering of our once proud defensive tradition...but I'll save my venom for later on! ;)

I was joking about going to the 46, what I meant was If we copy the 7 year old cover 2 we might as well go to the 46, both are OUTDATED.

I was joking about going to the 46, what I meant was If we copy the 7 year old cover 2 we might as well go to the 46, both are OUTDATED.

Agreed. Outdated yes, extinct no. NYJ used many variations of the 46 last year to great success.(Ryan) They will likely take it far into the playoffs this year. The Colts(who coincidentally knocked the Jets out) through Jim Caldwell, upgraded their version of the cover 2 with great success, despite a decimated secondary. I think a healthy Dwight Freeney wins the Colts the SB last year. So, with the peices we have in place their is a chance the cover two will work. Just not the Lovie two.

Double agreed. I'd rather be aggressive and get burned every now and them, than be passive and get sliced and diced like what Griese did to us...

Agreed. Outdated yes, extinct no. NYJ used many variations of the 46 last year to great success.(Ryan) They will likely take it far into the playoffs this year. The Colts(who coincidentally knocked the Jets out) through Jim Caldwell, upgraded their version of the cover 2 with great success, despite a decimated secondary. I think a healthy Dwight Freeney wins the Colts the SB last year. So, with the peices we have in place their is a chance the cover two will work. Just not the Lovie two.

Surprise: Steltz, he seems to have figured it out and is playing at a high level. Hopefully it will translate into pads and we go from a Secondary as a weakness to a Secondary as a strength. As nfo said, not many people are talking about him, and with the Secondary still a question mark, he definitely has a chance to surprise.

Disappointment: Forte. I don't know if he is fully recovered from whatever nagging injuries he had, but it still looks like he is missing that initial burst from his rookie year. Again very early so hopefully he will prove me wrong. With Forte, it is also expectations, hopefully he can live up to them, but I think with Taylor here, Forte will not get as many carries, so he has to take advantage of the ones he gets.

I don't think Peppers is going to disappoint. I could see him doing that in the next couple of years, especially if the Bears start losing, but this year I think he dominates, especially with the other players on the defensive front seven. Even if his numbers are down, but he is constantly getting double-teamed and freeing up other pass rushers, that is still success in my book. I think with him on the DLine, Harris and Anderson will both have solid if not great seasons as well.

Urlacher will also be Comeback Player of the Year.

Word out of camp so far is that Forte has his quickness and burst back. Even our defensive players commented on it when the OTAs wrapped up.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...nox-clicks.html

"*** On a shuffle pass inside by Cutler, running back Matt Forte looked faster and more explosive than last season."