Why the heck are we not in the mix on this?

madlithuanian

Vincent Jackson to only miss four games if traded

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 16, 2010 1:56 PM ET

A potential trade of Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson just got easier.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that Jackson will only miss four games at the start of the 2010 season, should he get traded anytime soon. (Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune also has the news.) Jackson remains suspended three games by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Jackson was also set to miss an additional three games after he reported to a team because he was placed on the Chargers roster exempt list. But the NFL and NFLPA met Thursday and came up a compromise for Jackson's missed time should be traded.

If Jackson signed with the Chargers, he would still have to miss an additional three games. (Six total.) That makes the small chance he'd return to San Diego look even slimmer. Jackson seems likely to get traded or simply sit the year out.

The Vikings appear to be Jackson's most likely suitor, although the Rams have been linked to him previously as well

D.A. would be a hell of a pairing with Vincent Jackson and Hester is not ever going to be a legitimate #1 receiver. D.A. does have the potential however, we need someone stronger. Knox is good to, I am just not convinced that Hester will ever get it accomplished. We need someone to help teach the younger players and having Jackson as a target, probably primary as well would work out very well for us. Yet we still have a suspect offensive line at best.

My heart would huty a biyt, but my ire with Smith would expand. He has misused Hester for too long and ruined his greatness. I'm not sure he can be saved. So in essence, I'd be OK with Hester and a pick. Espscially if it were a 3rd...

I wonder if Hester and a pick would get it done. DA Jax and Knox is a very interesting combination to me. Im kind of tired of the Hester deal.

Because the cost is to high:

This is what Adam Schefter twittered:

"Any team that trades for V. Jackson must pay him about $9 mil per year and the Chargers at least one premium pick. Not easy to do by Weds."

So are you ready to give up next years 1st or 2nd round plus the money? Do you think the Bears are up for it after spending all that money on Peppers this offseason?

Because the cost is to high:

This is what Adam Schefter twittered:

"Any team that trades for V. Jackson must pay him about $9 mil per year and the Chargers at least one premium pick. Not easy to do by Weds."

So are you ready to give up next years 1st or 2nd round plus the money? Do you think the Bears are up for it after spending all that money on Peppers this offseason?

NO

We've given up enough draft picks, qwe can't keep mortgaging our future

NO

We've given up enough draft picks, qwe can't keep mortgaging our future

I agree, there is no way we trade away a high draft pick. Especially with the uncertainty of the coaching staff. I know JA doesn't think like this. But if we do ax JA and company we are kinda tieing the hands of the next coaching staff.

Add to all that, I don't think he's be that helpful this year. Figure it's a month before he can start learning Martz' offense. Then how long does it take for him to be up to speed and could run more than a couple routes? In a timing based offense, knowing the whole offense is important and there isn't much time for learning during the season.

If the Bears were to do it, then it could be next year before he's actually productive. At that point, it doesn't really make sense because he would take time from guys that already know the system.

Add to all that, I don't think he's be that helpful this year. Figure it's a month before he can start learning Martz' offense. Then how long does it take for him to be up to speed and could run more than a couple routes? In a timing based offense, knowing the whole offense is important and there isn't much time for learning during the season.

If the Bears were to do it, then it could be next year before he's actually productive. At that point, it doesn't really make sense because he would take time from guys that already know the system.

Agreed. Chemistry is such a big factor at the WR position. In the past two seasons, we've seen two other high profile WR's traded mid-season. Roy Williams to the Cowboys and Braylon Edwards to the Jets. Both have been incredible disappointments.

Not to mention it was a disaster last season when we traded our #2 for Gaines Adams.

Despite that, if it was just money, I'd say do it. If it was just the pick, do it. But the combination of the two equates to a real bad idea.

Agreed. Chemistry is such a big factor at the WR position. In the past two seasons, we've seen two other high profile WR's traded mid-season. Roy Williams to the Cowboys and Braylon Edwards to the Jets. Both have been incredible disappointments.

Not to mention it was a disaster last season when we traded our #2 for Gaines Adams.

Despite that, if it was just money, I'd say do it. If it was just the pick, do it. But the combination of the two equates to a real bad idea.

I'll add that his love for money outweighs his love for football. I can't stand holdouts, especially during the season. Revis and Chris Johnson both had contract beefs, but when it can to time to play, they were both in uniform. A true football player would be dying enough to end the holdout and earn his agreed upon paycheck.

Seems like the reason why the Bears aren't in on this is that no one is legitimately in on it at the price the Chargers want. The Chargers seem to be acting somewhat out of spite here.

"We had multiple offers and the Chargers squashed them all," Jonathan Feinsod, one of Jackson's agents, said.

Smith, according to a source, was willing to make a trade if the Vikings signed Jackson to a one-year deal worth $6 million with the Chargers receiving at least a No. 2 and No. 4 pick. That draft choice cost was too much for the Vikings.

Feinsod was critical of Smith, saying "Archie Manning had it right," a reference to Manning's reluctance to have Eli Manning play for San Diego after being drafted by the team in 2004. "They call [smith] the Lord of No Rings for a reason."

It would appear to be the case. I still think a feeler should have been put out... Could we have shipped Tommie Harris and a 3rd?

Seems like the reason why the Bears aren't in on this is that no one is legitimately in on it at the price the Chargers want. The Chargers seem to be acting somewhat out of spite here.

It would appear to be the case. I still think a feeler should have been put out... Could we have shipped Tommie Harris and a 3rd?

It remains plausible that a feeler was put out...but that the Bears either realized the Chargers were asking for a ton for a suspended player with FA looming, or the Bears realized the Chargers weren't playing straight up and didn't bother.

Let me guess Brian you dont like DA either? Fact is he ( according to alot of People including himself) was a very late bloomer, Even though he did miss that sure touchdown, he settled down and had a nice day catching the ball. So I dont see where you get that from. If Iam wrong Please disregard.

Against Detroit he had 2 or 3 other drops.

He got benched for those dropped passes and today Martz came out and stated exactly what he needs to do to get back on the field...work better from the slot.

This is one thing I like about Martz versus his predecessor. He is not afraid to state what a player needs to do to improve. He came out early and said Olsen had to block better if he wanted to see the field ("if a TE can't block you might as well have a WR out there"). Now it's clear to DA that he didn't learn the slot position, and what he did there against Detroit he didn't do very well and so he won't see the field unless we need him at an outside position, or until he learns the slot.

Other times Martz has backed off calling players out such as the Oline early in preseason. So far based on results I'd say he's done well pushing the right buttons at the right time. We'll see if DA responds.