the 2 things I learned today

GrizzlyBear

1. Devin Hester is a true reciever. He had several big plays today and looked the part like never before. Lets hope this continues.

2. Mike martz can adjust a game plan. His changing up the game plan was masterfull. Knowing his line was in trouble he took it out of the lines hands started the quick passing game that did not require a lineman to hold his block. Absolutely Genius. I say Genius because I never seen it from a Team in chicago before.

Great win. No last minute blow ups. Truely a coaching win.

After a disastrous start like that I give Martz, Tice, and Cutler an "A" for the game. Cutler gets it for hanging onto the ball and not forcing things like he's done in the past. Tice had to make it happen with Williams out and shifting Omiyale over the left side and while he struggled at times they made it work. Martz' adjustments were just what the doctor ordered and he didn't even wait for halftime. Toss in a successful 4th and inches play and this offense should be building some confidence in the scheme. These are more or less the same players Turner had last year and totally different results and it was done on the road.

After two games teams now know they must worry about the big play when they go up against our offense, and it can come from all directions via Knox, Hester, Olsen, or Forte.

Hester has a lot of work to do as a receiver before we start calling him a true receiver. He made a great play on the one handed catch but had some miscues as well that could have really hurt the Bears as well. He needs to be a more disciplined blocker and needs be more of a deep threat on long passes. He's the perfect slot receiver at catching slants and drag routes but he often times fails to come up and catch the deep ball when it's there for him.

I was glad to see Martz making the necessary adjustments to allow the bears to run an effective offense. I would have liked to see more screen plays to keep the pressure off Jay but Martz did an excellent job at spreading the defense out and going into empty sets. The play to Olsen was a huge momentum shift that settled us down and that was when I realized we finally have a good offensive coordinator. Think if we actually had one of the better offensive lines we would be lights out.

If anything I came away with the impression that Cutler really likes Martz's offense and trusts him which is a huge key and something he didn't have with Ron Turner. There is still a long way to go in the season so I don't want to get ahead of myself but right now Cutler looks very promising. The running game really needs to get it going though.

The defense is also playing pretty well which comes as a bit of a shock to me. The linebacking play has been outstanding. Urlacher/Briggs/Tinoisamoa have all played terrific, especially Briggs. Peppers didn't get a sack today but you can tell the offense is making it a priority to double team him and sometimes put a chip on him alot of the time so even though he didn't get a sack, his presence was felt. Now he's gotta come out Monday night and get about 3 sacks on Aaron Rodgers. That would be excellent.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by today's results. The fact that it started out with some good smashmouth football and Da' Bears pulled it out is a very nice surprise. We'll see what happens next Monday night against the hated Cheese Heads. Fortunately I get to be in the stands for that game.

I'm not surprised. Dallas is overrated and the Bears are good.

However, Hester IS NOT a true receiver...yet. That was a great catch for the TD, but he also dropped a perfectly thrown ball down the sidelines which would've been a TD or would've put the Bears inside the Cowgirls' 3.

Also, like someone said, he needs to polish off his blocking skills.

I have agree Terra, But I still think we saw Hester do some great things at the reciever spot, His "supposed" miss on the sidelines was very well covered, Even Aikman said surprising to him. HIs Wide reciver screen was a big pick up and the touchdown was excellant.

The third thing I learned today is Tommy Harris is done. If Harris would have had pressure up the middle the double teams on Peppers would have been nill. I am really surprised about his play , I figured after getting raped by Sapp this week he woulda been monster, But he did not have a tackle.

I have agree Terra, But I still think we saw Hester do some great things at the reciever spot, His "supposed" miss on the sidelines was very well covered, Even Aikman said surprising to him. HIs Wide reciver screen was a big pick up and the touchdown was excellant.

The third thing I learned today is Tommy Harris is done. If Harris would have had pressure up the middle the double teams on Peppers would have been nill. I am really surprised about his play , I figured after getting raped by Sapp this week he woulda been monster, But he did not have a tackle.

Harris seems to have a soft skin. Criticism backfires with him. Maybe its time to get Harrison back in the mix.

Guest TerraTor
Harris seems to have a soft skin. Criticism backfires with him. Maybe its time to get Harrison back in the mix.

I dont care what defense you run in this league, I want a HOG in the middle of the Defensive Live. Lets see if Teddy Washington is still available

I learned that the media truly gives no love to the bears. Last week the lions gave us a win instead of the bears pulling out a victory. This week the NFL network, NBC, and ESPN all talked about how the Dallas let that one slip away. I saw Romo hurried into passes he wasn't ready to make. The media will say his timing isn't right. Why not that the bears put pressure on him. My favorite was when all of the fox "experts" picked Dallas and then the main commentator said the because they all picked the cowboys that the bears would likely win.

Hester might have had a couple nice grabs, but lets not forget his horrific punter returning (going on 2 years) and the fact that he missed some huge blocks, most notably the block on a 3rd down play where Martz called a beautiful screen to Forte with Hester right there ready to block for him. If hester even touches the guy, it is a 1st down. And even a remotely decent block and you are talking about a potential touchdown. Instead, Hester whiffed.

On the catch, it was well covered and a perfect ball, but it was catchable. Will a top notch receiver make that catch every time, no, but probably 7 out of 10 times.

Well put.

Hester made a GREAT play on the that catch. But he also missed a gimme. He needs to be more consistent, but that catch was certainly a big boy catch!

Martz's adjustments and play calling were amazing...

I was a little disappointed with the D line as they never really got to Romo, but they did well enough for Url and Briggs to shine yet again. Tommie Harris is a waste of space. Toeinea looked much better.

Hester has a lot of work to do as a receiver before we start calling him a true receiver. He made a great play on the one handed catch but had some miscues as well that could have really hurt the Bears as well. He needs to be a more disciplined blocker and needs be more of a deep threat on long passes. He's the perfect slot receiver at catching slants and drag routes but he often times fails to come up and catch the deep ball when it's there for him.

I was glad to see Martz making the necessary adjustments to allow the bears to run an effective offense. I would have liked to see more screen plays to keep the pressure off Jay but Martz did an excellent job at spreading the defense out and going into empty sets. The play to Olsen was a huge momentum shift that settled us down and that was when I realized we finally have a good offensive coordinator. Think if we actually had one of the better offensive lines we would be lights out.

If anything I came away with the impression that Cutler really likes Martz's offense and trusts him which is a huge key and something he didn't have with Ron Turner. There is still a long way to go in the season so I don't want to get ahead of myself but right now Cutler looks very promising. The running game really needs to get it going though.

The defense is also playing pretty well which comes as a bit of a shock to me. The linebacking play has been outstanding. Urlacher/Briggs/Tinoisamoa have all played terrific, especially Briggs. Peppers didn't get a sack today but you can tell the offense is making it a priority to double team him and sometimes put a chip on him alot of the time so even though he didn't get a sack, his presence was felt. Now he's gotta come out Monday night and get about 3 sacks on Aaron Rodgers. That would be excellent.

Yeah, Harris is useless.

You just learned that! ;) That class was taught years ago!

But, the Bears tend to do better when not a favorite. They don't handle success and praise well.

I learned that the media truly gives no love to the bears. Last week the lions gave us a win instead of the bears pulling out a victory. This week the NFL network, NBC, and ESPN all talked about how the Dallas let that one slip away. I saw Romo hurried into passes he wasn't ready to make. The media will say his timing isn't right. Why not that the bears put pressure on him. My favorite was when all of the fox "experts" picked Dallas and then the main commentator said the because they all picked the cowboys that the bears would likely win.

Exactly...

But it was still a gorgeous TD catch!

Hester might have had a couple nice grabs, but lets not forget his horrific punter returning (going on 2 years) and the fact that he missed some huge blocks, most notably the block on a 3rd down play where Martz called a beautiful screen to Forte with Hester right there ready to block for him. If hester even touches the guy, it is a 1st down. And even a remotely decent block and you are talking about a potential touchdown. Instead, Hester whiffed.

On the catch, it was well covered and a perfect ball, but it was catchable. Will a top notch receiver make that catch every time, no, but probably 7 out of 10 times.

When I said Hester turning in true reciever had nothing to do with Punt return abilities of now, 4 catches 71 yards and TD that was a national Highlight. He did well on his routes and runs after catch. He will never be a Hines ward with Blocking, But ILl take his speed and hands anyday after what I saw today. He played like a reciever.