New Coach

Guest TerraTor

Since he'll probably be canned after the year, he'll be an option and a popular one among fans, but I have 1 word- barf. Singletary is an awful coach. He has lost most of his team and their record is bad. Just because he played in Chicago and is an icon here does not make him the right guy for the job especially since he has NOTHING on his coaching resume worth a damn.

Bill Cowher. Give him the whole f'n show and let him try. We need to get back to grit...defense and running the ball.

If Chicago hired Cowher, wouldn't that mean a shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4, which might mean the end of Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs?

Since he'll probably be canned after the year, he'll be an option and a popular one among fans, but I have 1 word- barf. Singletary is an awful coach. He has lost most of his team and their record is bad. Just because he played in Chicago and is an icon here does not make him the right guy for the job especially since he has NOTHING on his coaching resume worth a damn.

If Chicago hired Cowher, wouldn't that mean a shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4, which might mean the end of Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs?

I think Peppers is talented enough to play not only in the 3-4, but also the 2-5. As for Urlacher and Briggs, they would absolutely flourish in a 3-4.

I think Rivera, Frazier, and definately Cowher would be great additions. With that said, since Singletary should be unemployed at season's end, he could be the D-Coordinator. He has a grasp on the defensive aspect. Rivera, as stated earlier in the thread, has paid his dues and his time has come. We need to make a splash in free agency with a top O-line and WR FA. Martz needs to go before Cutler gets killed. We really can't blame Tice for the O-line's problems for the simple fact no matter how much you polish a turd, it will forever be a turd.

--BearsFan1974

Bill Cowher. Give him the whole f'n show and let him try. We need to get back to grit...defense and running the ball.

Cowher and Gruden top my list. I would like to let Gruden work with Cutler and I would obviously love Cowher.

If I couldn't get one of those guys, I'd put out a full ditch effort to grab Harbaugh at Stanford. The guy has "it".

Totally agree with this. I think Harbaugh would do well.

Yeah, I totally agree with Harbaugh. The guy seems like he could really wipe out the culture of complacency that's grown around Lovie and Angelo since the Super Bowl. I'd be a little concerned about Cutler learning his third new offense in three years, but at least Harbaugh has had some experience with a Bill Walsh-style WCO (from Bill Callahan and Walsh himself.) That puts him in the same general family as Mike Shanahan's offense, so I'd hope that Harbaugh's offense would be at least a little more familiar to Cutler than Martz's is. Plus, Harbaugh can clearly work some magic with quarterbacks. I mean, the guy developed Andrew Luck and helped make a 36-year-old Rich Gannon into the league MVP.

Also, if Harbaugh's not available (and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people interested in him,) there are a bunch of defensive coaches with Chicago ties who could be good candidates. Leslie Frazier and Ron Rivera have already been mentioned - I think both of them should be high up on the list of potential hires. Another guy I'll throw out there is Perry Fewell.

The thing I like about Frazier, Rivera, and Fewell is that they're all familiar with the Tampa-2, and they've all run versions of it successfully. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if the Bears tank this season, the defense won't be the reason why; after a long drought, Lovie's scheme is finally working at a high level again. I don't think it's a coincidence that the drought started with Tommie Harris' dropoff and ended when Peppers arrived. All the good Tampa-2 teams have a blue chip pass rusher in the front 4, and usually another rusher who's at least above-average. Frazier has Jared Allen and Kevin Williams. Fewell has Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Rivera had Tommie pre-injury and Ogunleye. I'm starting to think that the Bears' problems on defense have had more to do with Angelo's terrible draft record and Lovie's history of giving poor players second chances, rather than some innate problem with the scheme.

Given that it's working well with Peppers on board, I don't see any reason to get away from the Tampa scheme, at least not right away. This defense is top 10 in most meaningful categories, and there's no reason to blow up something that's working. So I'd like to see a head coach who can run a Tampa defense, at least at first. Frazier and Rivera both coached a different style of 4-3 under Jim Johnson in Philly, but they know Lovie's defense, too. So if they wanted to make the switch to a pressure-heavy defense like Philly's, they could do it gradually, without blowing up the defense or going through a rebuilding year. If Fewell got the nod, they'd probably stay a Tampa team permanently, but given the way he has the Giants' defense playing, I don't think anybody would argue with that.

Givin the current labor situation, I do not see the Bears firing Lovie. I think he works the rest of his contract.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. With the question of football for 2011 up in the air there is no impetus on the owner to change the coaches. Now, if a deal is reached and we don't make the playoffs, then we better dump the Lovie crew. Though Marinelli has the D playing well and Tice, well, the turd comment above says it all.

I'd like to be far removed from the Tampa 2...

Also, if Harbaugh's not available (and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people interested in him,) there are a bunch of defensive coaches with Chicago ties who could be good candidates. Leslie Frazier and Ron Rivera have already been mentioned - I think both of them should be high up on the list of potential hires. Another guy I'll throw out there is Perry Fewell.

The thing I like about Frazier, Rivera, and Fewell is that they're all familiar with the Tampa-2, and they've all run versions of it successfully. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if the Bears tank this season, the defense won't be the reason why; after a long drought, Lovie's scheme is finally working at a high level again. I don't think it's a coincidence that the drought started with Tommie Harris' dropoff and ended when Peppers arrived. All the good Tampa-2 teams have a blue chip pass rusher in the front 4, and usually another rusher who's at least above-average. Frazier has Jared Allen and Kevin Williams. Fewell has Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Rivera had Tommie pre-injury and Ogunleye. I'm starting to think that the Bears' problems on defense have had more to do with Angelo's terrible draft record and Lovie's history of giving poor players second chances, rather than some innate problem with the scheme.

Given that it's working well with Peppers on board, I don't see any reason to get away from the Tampa scheme, at least not right away. This defense is top 10 in most meaningful categories, and there's no reason to blow up something that's working. So I'd like to see a head coach who can run a Tampa defense, at least at first. Frazier and Rivera both coached a different style of 4-3 under Jim Johnson in Philly, but they know Lovie's defense, too. So if they wanted to make the switch to a pressure-heavy defense like Philly's, they could do it gradually, without blowing up the defense or going through a rebuilding year. If Fewell got the nod, they'd probably stay a Tampa team permanently, but given the way he has the Giants' defense playing, I don't think anybody would argue with that.

I'd like to be far removed from the Tampa 2...

Why get away from it now that we finally have the personnel to run it? I mean, if you're saying it's frustrating to watch, I couldn't agree more. But it's pretty clear that it works when you have the right players. Here's where the Bears rank in every major defensive category:

Run Yards/Game: 89.3 (6th)

Pass Yards/Game: 216 (15th)

Total Yards/Game: 305.3 (6th)

First Downs/Game: 16.6 (4th)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: 30% (1st)

...and here's the big one:

Points/Game: 16.3 (3rd)

I don't think they've had a soft schedule, either - it's about league-average in terms of total yards and points. The game against Carolina is probably inflating their stats a little, but all in all, I think the Bears are what their rankings suggest - a legitimate top-10 defense.

I'm definitely not a fan of the Tampa-2 per se, but I don't see any reason to get rid of it when it's working.

Because it doesn't work in the long term. By the time we reached the SB, our guys were gassed. Not to mention no Mike Brown.

And we still aren't getting enough D-line pressure right now as is. And we just got through the weakest part of our schedule.

It works, but other D's can work better. Especially as a base. I don't mind running it every now and then, but I'd prefer a differently minded defensive coach. Especially one who's won a SB and knows what it takes.

The schedule has been easy. Detroit killed the skins, Dallas is a joke, Carloina is a joke, and Seattle ain't all that. Only the GB game is a good solid win. And people think that one was given to us with all the penalties and injuries to GB. Our record is waht it is, but let's wait it out a bit until we proclaim the resurgence of the vaunted cover 2...

I don't like our HC. So, if I want him out, odds are so goes his scheme. And I have no problem with that. Our top tier players will play great in ANY scheme...

Why get away from it now that we finally have the personnel to run it? I mean, if you're saying it's frustrating to watch, I couldn't agree more. But it's pretty clear that it works when you have the right players. Here's where the Bears rank in every major defensive category:

Run Yards/Game: 89.3 (6th)

Pass Yards/Game: 216 (15th)

Total Yards/Game: 305.3 (6th)

First Downs/Game: 16.6 (4th)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: 30% (1st)

...and here's the big one:

Points/Game: 16.3 (3rd)

I don't think they've had a soft schedule, either - it's about league-average in terms of total yards and points. The game against Carolina is probably inflating their stats a little, but all in all, I think the Bears are what their rankings suggest - a legitimate top-10 defense.

I'm definitely not a fan of the Tampa-2 per se, but I don't see any reason to get rid of it when it's working.