A QUICK OBSERVATION AND THOUGHT

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

Lovie Smith and Co.

Week 17: You milk it the 2nd half and basically let your arch rival into the playoffs. Horrible offensive playcalling (Martz), however defense was great 95% of game.

Divisional Playoff: Great game all around, then your OC calls a halfback pass... we all know

NFC Championship: Arch rival comes to town and hands you your ass for 35minutes. Your QB gets hurt and you bring in a guy who couldnt complete a pass in flag football. OC terrible playcalling majority of game. 3rd and 3 on a game tying drive, you call a reverse to a slow WR, and an Olin you knpw dam well cant get to the second level.. You have a RB who besides Greg Jennings, is having the best offensive day of anyone, and he doesnt touch the ball. I know its a "3rd string QB" but what the hell.

This is the guy who hasnt had a winning season since the SuperBowl and repeatedly makes terrible descisions. Why is an extension so dam important?

Lovie Smith and Co.

Week 17: You milk it the 2nd half and basically let your arch rival into the playoffs. Horrible offensive playcalling (Martz), however defense was great 95% of game.

Divisional Playoff: Great game all around, then your OC calls a halfback pass... we all know

NFC Championship: Arch rival comes to town and hands you your ass for 35minutes. Your QB gets hurt and you bring in a guy who couldnt complete a pass in flag football. OC terrible playcalling majority of game. 3rd and 3 on a game tying drive, you call a reverse to a slow WR, and an Olin you knpw dam well cant get to the second level.. You have a RB who besides Greg Jennings, is having the best offensive day of anyone, and he doesnt touch the ball. I know its a "3rd string QB" but what the hell.

This is the guy who hasnt had a winning season since the SuperBowl and repeatedly makes terrible descisions. Why is an extension so dam important?

Personally, I want to see what he can do next year to see if he can string 2 seasons together. If so, then yes give him a 2 year extension. If not, bye.

I generally agree. The only agrument is consistency. But, as many have pointed out, it seems that Smith is best when's he's just a figurehead making no real decisions... So, couldn't just about any of our coord's have been HC? Just a thought...

Lovie Smith and Co.

I generally agree. The only agrument is consistency. But, as many have pointed out, it seems that Smith is best when's he's just a figurehead making no real decisions... So, couldn't just about any of our coord's have been HC? Just a thought...

Or we could just put a cut out of...Da coach, Mike Ditka, on the sidelines, he would show as much emotion as Lovie! lol

Lovie Smith and Co.

To me, there is a pattern there...... offensive playcalling. To be honest, Martz did better this year than I expected. However, it seemed like in crucial times he tried to revert back to the old Martz blueprint, which didn't work for us all year.

That third and three call was insanely bad. At least get a couple yards to set up a fourth and short.

However, there was some offensive growth and firepower to some extent. When he called a balanced game, the offense was at its best.

Hopefully, year two will be more of a progression.

lol, Connor.

That has always been a pet peeve with you, right?

The notion that yelling=winning.

Although, it must be stated that the recent success and attention in NY because of Rex Ryan sure does have more than one player coming out of the wood works saying that he'd like to play for a guy like that.

I think in life, not just in football, people want to be led by someone who can motivate. Lovie is not that person, or at least doesn't appear to be outwardly during the 3 hour stretches of silence during games. Yelling doesn't necessarily equate to winning, but in Lovie's case, I think the player support comes from the fact that he's just a good guy who is steadfastly loyal. Everyone loves working for the easy-going boss; it's not just in the NFL. But you rarely maximize talent from that same easy-going boss.

Bingo!

I think the "emotion don't matter" folks aren't quite seeing the crux of the story. It's not that screaming alone makes a good coach (Parcells). Or that being stoic (Landry) makes a good coach. Being a good coach is more than that, and I think everyone realizes that. Not all screamers are good coaches (as some like pointing out Ditka), and not all stoic ones are good coaches (Jauron). People take issue with Smith for a variety of reasons. And at the end, one of those is that he isn't fiery. So, it's an easy target. And when you see mistakes, etc...it's easy to pick on that. But the reality, is that I think those folks are really picking on his inability to game manage, his inability to player develop, his stubborness, etc... In some ways, it's not too dis-similar on how Cutler is getting a bad rap. Most folks are pissed in reality that he stunk last game. And then when he goes out of the game, then Fox shows selcetive shots of sulking, the team lists him as questionable instead of out, goes out to Mastro's using the stairmaster, then goes shopping in LA with his cutie...it just makes a person irritated...and then easy to call him a quitter. The calling of him as a quitter is wrong. But, one can harp on him for being inaccurate, having poor mechanics and making bad decisions. That's legit. I think the same is happeneing to a degree with Smith. Partially, becasue the last successful coach we had was full of fire. So, the easy reaction is..."it's not working and it's not the same. I want more of what worked before." Right or wrong...

I take my shots at Lovie for all of the above basically. I give him credit for getting to the playoffs, but give him flak for serious errors in the most important game of the season. He went from really an potential A- to a C. Good enough to give him this contract year to see if he did truly learn something, or to see if he just lucked into a healthy and lucky year this past year. I have seroius cautious optimism... The kind that doesn't make me want to lock him in for years to come...

Although, it must be stated that the recent success and attention in NY because of Rex Ryan sure does have more than one player coming out of the wood works saying that he'd like to play for a guy like that.

I think in life, not just in football, people want to be led by someone who can motivate. Lovie is not that person, or at least doesn't appear to be outwardly during the 3 hour stretches of silence during games. Yelling doesn't necessarily equate to winning, but in Lovie's case, I think the player support comes from the fact that he's just a good guy who is steadfastly loyal. Everyone loves working for the easy-going boss; it's not just in the NFL. But you rarely maximize talent from that same easy-going boss.

Guys,

I generally don't post but I thought I would chime in on this one...

Prior to the season, at the big press conference, the one where many of us were hoping Lovie was going to get his walking papers, Ted Phillips decided to stay the course and allow the staff to coach another season. It seemed clear to me that the message was sent that things had to get better in order to keep jobs. So, the Bears decided to drop the big one and sign Peppers, a move I think that was outside their usual M.O. New coaches were added and here we are.

But I say shame on the Bears, three mediocre seasons led to your job being on the line, so that is the time they get serious and decide to make a major move (Peppers)? Again it did not happen until their jobs were at risk. It seems to me Lovie and company got lazy after the Colts Superbowl and rested on their laurels. Now threatened, they decide to make moves. Shame!

Why consider an extension now; if three years of crap results was not enough to fire a coach, why should one season where good fortune shined on your backside be enough to get an extension?

Just my two cents.

Guys,

I generally don't post but I thought I would chime in on this one...

Prior to the season, at the big press conference, the one where many of us were hoping Lovie was going to get his walking papers, Ted Phillips decided to stay the course and allow the staff to coach another season. It seemed clear to me that the message was sent that things had to get better in order to keep jobs. So, the Bears decided to drop the big one and sign Peppers, a move I think that was outside their usual M.O. New coaches were added and here we are.

But I say shame on the Bears, three mediocre seasons led to your job being on the line, so that is the time they get serious and decide to make a major move (Peppers)? Again it did not happen until their jobs were at risk. It seems to me Lovie and company got lazy after the Colts Superbowl and rested on their laurels. Now threatened, they decide to make moves. Shame!

Why consider an extension now; if three years of crap results was not enough to fire a coach, why should one season where good fortune shined on your backside be enough to get an extension?

Just my two cents.

I think its because this is a "what have ya done for me lately" league. Why dwell on the past seasons, last year with Url out The Bears could not stop a snail. His return helped Briggs and the safeties. By last years account in this draft I remember quite a few here wanting a dynamic safetie, They end up with Harris and look at the improvement. Now with Stelz healthy and Harris back there its no longer dynamic need.

All Iam saying the year after the superbowl we found out how bad Grossman was. Orton was servicable but nothing really superior. But I believe that JA was in rebuilding mode after that superbowl. Ron Turner showed he could not call NFL plays anymore so they dump him. There have been so many moves these past 3 years it truly mind boggling. Picking up Cutler, Peppers and Harris was Brilliant. Now with talent on the roster and a full draft to help out lets see how they do. But for the most part I can only blame and Credit JA for what has happened. To his credit we ended up with very good nucleous. Lets see how the draft goes and sign lovie after the draft. I think after the draft/Free agency we can all determine what outcome will be.

We signed Cutler the year before. I'd consider that a major move.

If we didn't give everything we had to knock the Pack out in Week17 (and I've heard we didn't) then that's a little sad and we deserve to be kept out of the SB by that same team. I had a feeling letting the Pack in might come back to bite us and from the very beginning I considered GB and Atlanta (only because they would've had home field advantage) our real competition. We had our chance, man...twice.

Bingo!

I think the "emotion don't matter" folks aren't quite seeing the crux of the story. It's not that screaming alone makes a good coach (Parcells). Or that being stoic (Landry) makes a good coach. Being a good coach is more than that, and I think everyone realizes that. Not all screamers are good coaches (as some like pointing out Ditka), and not all stoic ones are good coaches (Jauron). People take issue with Smith for a variety of reasons. And at the end, one of those is that he isn't fiery. So, it's an easy target. And when you see mistakes, etc...it's easy to pick on that. But the reality, is that I think those folks are really picking on his inability to game manage, his inability to player develop, his stubborness, etc... In some ways, it's not too dis-similar on how Cutler is getting a bad rap. Most folks are pissed in reality that he stunk last game. And then when he goes out of the game, then Fox shows selcetive shots of sulking, the team lists him as questionable instead of out, goes out to Mastro's using the stairmaster, then goes shopping in LA with his cutie...it just makes a person irritated...and then easy to call him a quitter. The calling of him as a quitter is wrong. But, one can harp on him for being inaccurate, having poor mechanics and making bad decisions. That's legit. I think the same is happeneing to a degree with Smith. Partially, becasue the last successful coach we had was full of fire. So, the easy reaction is..."it's not working and it's not the same. I want more of what worked before." Right or wrong...

But this is exactly my point. It has nothing to do with the emotional end of it. I would argue Ditka was an average coach. Why? Not because he could be a complete loon on the sidelines. Because he should have won at least 3 Superbowls given the talent level on his team. He didn't maximize the talent.

Peace :dabears

We've still got Lovie for another year, and we learned a few months back he's getting paid as well as Belichek so I don't see McCaskey eating his salary since Lovie having a terrible season is the only thing that could justify that. Maybe Fisher will want a year off (not a bad idea) and JA could tell him the job is his if he wants it in 2011. I can't see any of our other coaches turning their nose up at Jeff Fisher (though one or two of them could be gone by then anyway) and I think Jeff would surely feel like he'd have a better situation here than where he came from. He got started young so he's still not that old. We'd have a head coach who used to play for the Bears and a QB who grew up a fan of the Bears. I think Lovie's a good coach but I'd take a hard look at Jeff Fisher if he's interested.

I heard on the drive home that Jeff Fisher (former bear) will be departing the TITANS and is now available.

What are your thoughts on Jeff Fisher now that he is available?

In 17 years as head coach, he made it into the playoffs 6 times and lost the only SB he was in. I don't see this as an improvement to Lovie other than he is an ex-Bear which really should have nothing to do with it.

In 17 years as head coach, he made it into the playoffs 6 times and lost the only SB he was in. I don't see this as an improvement to Lovie other than he is an ex-Bear which really should have nothing to do with it.

Agreed. I actually read an article comparing Lovie to Fisher and they said Lovie was aboutt he same. I forget where I read it though.

But do you understand where the furstration is with the folks that bash Smith for being stoic? While it would seem unjustified when disecting it logically, the emotional reaction of some fans is that what he's doing is not working, so you want to change everything. Not just the poor game management, the poor player development, the smugness, etc...you want something completely different. I gurantee, if we had Tom Landry, no one would be complaining that he's not emotional enough.

I do agree..bashing Smith for solely being non-emotional isn't justified. But it's just a piece of greater dislikes that happens to be an easy target.

If you check most my rants agasint Smith, I may mention the lack of emotion, but it's after laying into him about coaching failures. (But I plea guilty, because I'm sure that somewhere in a beer laced post, I probably bashed him solely for having no emotion coining the term Zombie Smith) It's kind of like harping on Ryan Leaf and then saying he dressed like a fool. At that point, it's just another thing to dislike about him. And it's true. Unlike the bashing of Cutler that he's not tough, Smith is truly not emotional.

This post was probably no help! Becasue while I agree with you, I also disagree. I feel like a jacka$$ politician at the moment! Maybe I should run for mayor...

But this is exactly my point. It has nothing to do with the emotional end of it. I would argue Ditka was an average coach. Why? Not because he could be a complete loon on the sidelines. Because he should have won at least 3 Superbowls given the talent level on his team. He didn't maximize the talent.

I agree. At this point in time, he's not enough of an improvement.

Talk Cowher, and I'm listening intently... I'm looking for a winner. And someone with consistency that got his team far most the time.

Since the window is not wide open for a chance at winning a SB and even with some of Lovie's short comings I think the best thing probably for this team and Cutlers development is to keep the continuation of the staff going. From what I read Lovie has the respect of his players and that shows by their no quit play on the field. Lovie is one of the main reason that Peppers signed with the Bears.

It's all about how you frame the stats. A less negative way to put it is that before this season, he's only had a losing season 3 times in the last 11 years. Lovie just did that the previous 3 years in a row. Fisher has also finished with at least 10 wins half the time over the past 12 years and he's generally much better respected than Lovie by people who pay closer attention to that stuff than me.

It's all about how you frame the stats. A less negative way to put it is that before this season, he's only had a losing season 3 times in the last 11 years. Lovie just did that the previous 3 years in a row. Fisher has also finished with at least 10 wins half the time over the past 12 years and he's generally much better respected than Lovie by people who pay closer attention to that stuff than me.

And you are 100% wrong about Lovie's last three years. In 2008 the Bears were 9-7, not a losing season.

Thats the problem here, Bears fans have a selective memory. Like him or hate him Lovie is the best coach we have had here since Ditka.

And you are 100% wrong about Lovie's last three years. In 2008 the Bears were 9-7, not a losing season.

Thats the problem here, Bears fans have a selective memory. Like him or hate him Lovie is the best coach we have had here since Ditka.

That's not saying much considering Wanny and Jauron are your competition.