Bears Sign 6'4'' WR

Cutsizzle

Looks intersting....

He looks a little slow, but he does look like a big target with good hands. Let's hope he can run routes...

Also, looks like Manelly and Big Toe are resigned...

http://www.chicitysports.com/2010/12/27/be...act-extensions/

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/02/04/be...uture-contract/

Andy Fantuz from the CFL. This guy looks to be pretty good.

Here's some more info on Andy Fantuz

http://www.andyfantuz.com/blog.html

I like this signing. Seems like he could a good find. Looks like from those videos that he has some good hands. What type of speed does he have does anyone know? Coming in from the CFL you know he will be out to prove his worth as well unlike some others that come into the NFL and sign the big contract and then sit.

I got the same impression.

He seems to have good hands, seems to fight for the ball... The question is how fast and does he run good routes and help the QB. Also, is he injury prone? He looks to have had an injury...but he sure looked good in the highlights.

From the videos I watched, he looks like a nice guy that appears to do his homework... Who knows...

He could be the flavor of the pre-season WR...or maybe turn into something.

I like this signing. Seems like he could a good find. Looks like from those videos that he has some good hands. What type of speed does he have does anyone know? Coming in from the CFL you know he will be out to prove his worth as well unlike some others that come into the NFL and sign the big contract and then sit.

I'm not impressed. Looks like a poor man's Brian Finneran. Mike Hass never got a real shot here. Marcus Monk never got a real shot here. Freddie Barnes never got a real shot here. I don't see why this guy is any different.

Your right, until this coaching staff can prove to us that they are willing to give guys a chance its hard to know what to think. Especially if the new CBA cuts the preseason down to 2 games thats when these guys will never be given a shot.

Out of desperation I watched quite a few CFL games this past season and saw Fantuz play several times. From what I can tell:

He is good at using his body to get position and goes after the ball aggressively.

Good hands, very reliable even on bad passes.

Speed.. hard to tell because the first thing you notice whenever you see a CFL game is the speed difference (lack thereof). I know in one game I saw Fantuz grab a quick slant and take it all the way pulling away from the DBs. I'd guess he runs about a 4.6 forty but he needs several strides to get up to speed as he's not a quick twitch type.

Route running....hard to tell again because the CFL rules are so different allowing WRs to run full speed toward the LOS so CBs are almost always 10 yards off the ball. Coverage is often so loose even the old fan favorite Henry Burris can still complete passes in the CFL. Most WRS have it easy running around on underneath routes. Fantuz has quite a battle adjusting to the crowded traffic he'll see in the NFL right off the LOS. He has the size and strength to release against press coverage but he'll have to learn the technique because his quickness is not going to allow him easy separation. Then there's the whole issue with LBs who are faster than him.

INTANGIBLES: He's got this aspect down pat both on and off the field. He's by far the fan favorite and likely the most respected player in the CFL. It's his jersey you see in the stands at games. It's his stats the announcers talk about. It's him they talk about when a big play needs to be made. And yes, he has his own version of a cereal like the old Flutie Flakes.

What I like most about this is that the Bears organization has already recognized the need for a big WR. I hope Fantuz is just one option we bring into camp. In essence he replaces Iglesias and I think if we still had Iglesias around we'd all still be talking about the need for a big WR.

Thank you for your comments!

Out of desperation I watched quite a few CFL games this past season and saw Fantuz play several times. From what I can tell:

He is good at using his body to get position and goes after the ball aggressively.

Good hands, very reliable even on bad passes.

Speed.. hard to tell because the first thing you notice whenever you see a CFL game is the speed difference (lack thereof). I know in one game I saw Fantuz grab a quick slant and take it all the way pulling away from the DBs. I'd guess he runs about a 4.6 forty but he needs several strides to get up to speed as he's not a quick twitch type.

Route running....hard to tell again because the CFL rules are so different allowing WRs to run full speed toward the LOS so CBs are almost always 10 yards off the ball. Coverage is often so loose even the old fan favorite Henry Burris can still complete passes in the CFL. Most WRS have it easy running around on underneath routes. Fantuz has quite a battle adjusting to the crowded traffic he'll see in the NFL right off the LOS. He has the size and strength to release against press coverage but he'll have to learn the technique because his quickness is not going to allow him easy separation. Then there's the whole issue with LBs who are faster than him.

INTANGIBLES: He's got this aspect down pat both on and off the field. He's by far the fan favorite and likely the most respected player in the CFL. It's his jersey you see in the stands at games. It's his stats the announcers talk about. It's him they talk about when a big play needs to be made. And yes, he has his own version of a cereal like the old Flutie Flakes.

What I like most about this is that the Bears organization has already recognized the need for a big WR. I hope Fantuz is just one option we bring into camp. In essence he replaces Iglesias and I think if we still had Iglesias around we'd all still be talking about the need for a big WR.

everybody looks good on highlight films. I hope this means we feel we have our big WR spot filled, so we dont spend money on Rice or someone else. We can no longer look for bargin WRs or make a KR our #1 , we have to simply go out and get a legit #1. God help us all

I agree, i wouldn't stop here.

everybody looks good on highlight films. I hope this means we feel we have our big WR spot filled, so we dont spend money on Rice or someone else. We can no longer look for bargin WRs or make a KR our #1 , we have to simply go out and get a legit #1. God help us all

This guy is nothing more than a project at this point. You figure we'll had into training camp with 10 WR's on the roster and he'll be one of them.

I do wonder if we're going to go after bigger WR's which is what Cutler prefers. Although that's not what Martz prefers. Will we continue to see more changes in the Martz philosophy?

This guy is nothing more than a project at this point. You figure we'll had into training camp with 10 WR's on the roster and he'll be one of them.

I do wonder if we're going to go after bigger WR's which is what Cutler prefers. Although that's not what Martz prefers. Will we continue to see more changes in the Martz philosophy?

I would tend to think so considering how badly his system failed in the 1st half of the season. As soon as he went more balanced and started to use Forte we all saw what could become on offense. It also helped that the oline seemed to gel together a little.

I would tend to think so considering how badly his system failed in the 1st half of the season. As soon as he went more balanced and started to use Forte we all saw what could become on offense. It also helped that the oline seemed to gel together a little.

I'd also say that Martz probably learned that if his O-line isn't dominant, he needs to have underneath/possession options for Cutler to move the chains and get new sets of downs if he wants the area over the top to open up.

I'm not impressed. Looks like a poor man's Brian Finneran. Mike Hass never got a real shot here. Marcus Monk never got a real shot here. Freddie Barnes never got a real shot here. I don't see why this guy is any different.

Because none of those guys were 6'4 except Monk, who was IIRC coming off a knee injury in college and was a 7th round pick for a reason.

Looks intersting....

He looks a little slow, but he does look like a big target with good hands. Let's hope he can run routes...

Also, looks like Manelly and Big Toe are resigned...

http://www.chicitysports.com/2010/12/27/be...act-extensions/

Mannelly and Toeaina were extended during the season.