AJ Hawk cut

madlithuanian

He wouldn't fit in the Tampa-2, I don't think. He's a great 3-4 inside 'backer, but he really wasn't that effective when the Packers played a 4-3, and he'd have way more coverage responsibilities in our defense, which isn't his strong suit. Some 3-4 team should jump all over the chance to sign him, but he's not a good fit for Lovie's scheme.

Buffalo would be a good landing spot for him - Andra Davis is 32 and dinged up, and Paul Posluszny is a UFA. Even if they can retain Poz, signing Hawk would let them move Davis to a backup role, and Hawk/Poz would be a very good pair of ILBs in a 3-4.

He wouldn't fit in the Tampa-2, I don't think. He's a great 3-4 inside 'backer, but he really wasn't that effective when the Packers played a 4-3, and he'd have way more coverage responsibilities in our defense, which isn't his strong suit. Some 3-4 team should jump all over the chance to sign him, but he's not a good fit for Lovie's scheme.

Buffalo would be a good landing spot for him - Andra Davis is 32 and dinged up, and Paul Posluszny is a UFA. Even if they can retain Poz, signing Hawk would let them move Davis to a backup role, and Hawk/Poz would be a very good pair of ILBs in a 3-4.

I might have to dispute your thinking on this one DFG. This year Pisa was off the field on a lot of third downs with DJ Moore taking a Nickel DB role on those downs. So if this trend continues a guy like Hawk on the first two downs is not as bad of an idea as a medically challenged Pisa.

I actually expect GB 2 resign him. He had an escalotor of over $10 mil in his contract and that's why he was released

I actually expect GB 2 resign him. He had an escalotor of over $10 mil in his contract and that's why he was released

I agree. Was going to write about this last week, as their were rumors about this happening. But after reading into it some found that he was going to cost too much. Would be a nice add but not at that price. If he could play OG... maybe.

I might have to dispute your thinking on this one DFG. This year Pisa was off the field on a lot of third downs with DJ Moore taking a Nickel DB role on those downs. So if this trend continues a guy like Hawk on the first two downs is not as bad of an idea as a medically challenged Pisa.

I don't know, man - I've heard a lot of Packers fans say that Hawk can't turn his hips and run with a guy in coverage, even a TE. It's kind of a moot point, I guess, since it looks like Green Bay's going to bring him back.

One of the things that makes Pisa such a great Sam linebacker for our system is that he's like a fifth DB on the field when he drops in coverage. A guy like Brian Rolle from Ohio State (who the Bears have already met with) or Doug Hogue from Syracuse might be a good replacement for Pisa in the 5th or 6th round.