Mullin gets it...

madlithuanian

Agreed. Webb deserves a look. Omiyale is a waste...

Webb did a real nice job for the season and looks to be solid in that position. For a rookie he did what was expected. As for Omiyale he to is right tackle playing out of position. He will be swing tackle after this draft FA season.

Agreed. Webb deserves a look. Omiyale is a waste...

Omiyale would be a better-than-average backup, but he shouldn't be starting. I'd have no problem with signing him long-term as a swing tackle. They just need to get a real starting LT in front of him.

As for Webb, I think he showed a ton of potential. They need to keep him locked in at RT and see what he can do.

I have been a big fan of Olin Kreutz for years but it may be time to let him go on his merry way. I have seen too many times in the last few years stupid penalties from a long time veteran player.Did we all forget the dumb personal foul he committed this year when he threw a forearm into the head of an opponent right in front of a ref? This Kreutz can do no wrong love is mind boggling. He is on the decline and hasn't seen the pro bowl in many seasons. I can honestly say I saw 2 Bears centers that were significantly better than Kruetz and that is HOF center Mike Pyle and Jay Higenberg who I think should get HOF consideration down the road. For all those who like Pouncey would you be pissed if the Bears drafted him at 30 and told him he was the starting center? I think Tice could coach him up. Nick Mangold was given the job on draft day and he has done fine. I just think its time for the hard-nosed Hawaiin (Iknow the sarcasm reeks here) to go off into the proverbiale sunset. If Harris can be cut for declining production why not Kreutz?

For all those who like Pouncey would you be pissed if the Bears drafted him at 30 and told him he was the starting center? I think Tice could coach him up. Nick Mangold was given the job on draft day and he has done fine.

If the Bears want to draft a guy to play center in Round 1, they should look at Rodney Hudson, not Pouncey. Pouncey's not like his brother - he struggled in a major way when Florida moved him to center, and he seems to have serious trouble snapping the ball, particularly in the shotgun. I like Hudson better than Pouncey in terms of his technique and leverage, it's just that he's undersized to play guard. At center, though, he's pretty much a prototype player - I think he could step in from day 1 and hold down the starting job.

Personally, I think they should re-sign Kreutz for one more year, then draft a center on Day 3 to develop for 2012. Jake Kirkpatrick from TCU would be perfect. He's got the physical tools and intelligence (like Hudson) to be a great center in a year or so, he just doesn't have Hudson's great blocking technique. With a year to learn from Kreutz and work on his technique, he could be the guy. Plus, he'd only take like a 5th or 6th-round pick to get.

If the Bears want to draft a guy to play center in Round 1, they should look at Rodney Hudson, not Pouncey. Pouncey's not like his brother - he struggled in a major way when Florida moved him to center, and he seems to have serious trouble snapping the ball, particularly in the shotgun. I like Hudson better than Pouncey in terms of his technique and leverage, it's just that he's undersized to play guard. At center, though, he's pretty much a prototype player - I think he could step in from day 1 and hold down the starting job.

Personally, I think they should re-sign Kreutz for one more year, then draft a center on Day 3 to develop for 2012. Jake Kirkpatrick from TCU would be perfect. He's got the physical tools and intelligence (like Hudson) to be a great center in a year or so, he just doesn't have Hudson's great blocking technique. With a year to learn from Kreutz and work on his technique, he could be the guy. Plus, he'd only take like a 5th or 6th-round pick to get.

DFG you know I'm on board with you but I think that Kreutz has run his course. I don't want him teaching Tice's technique when I have Tice on hand to teach it. I love both of your prospects that you know don't enter into the conversation until late day 2 or day 3. I have read some online reports that have said that Robert Gallery is done with the Raiders and for those who like to purge other rosters for a fit in this line Gallery allows the Bears to move Williams to his drafted position and have a veteran right next to him.

DFG you know I'm on board with you but I think that Kreutz has run his course. I don't want him teaching Tice's technique when I have Tice on hand to teach it. I love both of your prospects that you know don't enter into the conversation until late day 2 or day 3. I have read some online reports that have said that Robert Gallery is done with the Raiders and for those who like to purge other rosters for a fit in this line Gallery allows the Bears to move Williams to his drafted position and have a veteran right next to him.

I would love the idea of picking up Gallery allowing us 2 move Williams back to LT. Then also draft oline in 1st rd

I would love the idea of picking up Gallery allowing us 2 move Williams back to LT. Then also draft oline in 1st rd

I'd love to make that move if he checks out medically. He's missed a bunch of games the last couple of years, so they'll want to be sure he's OK. If he checks out, though, he's one of the better LGs in the league.

I'd love to make that move if he checks out medically. He's missed a bunch of games the last couple of years, so they'll want to be sure he's OK. If he checks out, though, he's one of the better LGs in the league.

And I think it safe to say that anyone that comes from Oakland should get an automatic flyer. He is pretty much a 5-6 year Rookie.

I agree that this would be another one that should definitely be looked at by the Bears staff.

Moon gets it? He wants to sign Plaxico, R Williams, or B Edwards. Williams & Edwards have done nothing but underachieve while Plaxico's been locked up. We have mediocre receivers on this team so we don't need to add another one that thinks he's god. Why not add TO or Chad Johnson? I can't argue with adding a WR, but to hell with the guys he mentioned. The bad part is, that's likely the best available.

As for O-line, that's a given. I'm anxious to see what we want to do & how we co-exist when our OC & O-line coach have opposite philosphies. In a previous article Moon mentions Webb should play LT. Has anyone noticed Webb moves his feet like a sumo-wrestler? That's not what you want protecting the blind-side.

I guess I wasn't clear on my post title. He gets the gyst of it. OL and WR are needs. We can debate the nuances of which WR's and OL-men we want. But the basics of our issues are what he gets.

Moon gets it? He wants to sign Plaxico, R Williams, or B Edwards. Williams & Edwards have done nothing but underachieve while Plaxico's been locked up. We have mediocre receivers on this team so we don't need to add another one that thinks he's god. Why not add TO or Chad Johnson? I can't argue with adding a WR, but to hell with the guys he mentioned. The bad part is, that's likely the best available.

As for O-line, that's a given. I'm anxious to see what we want to do & how we co-exist when our OC & O-line coach have opposite philosphies. In a previous article Moon mentions Webb should play LT. Has anyone noticed Webb moves his feet like a sumo-wrestler? That's not what you want protecting the blind-side.

I have been a big fan of Olin Kreutz for years but it may be time to let him go on his merry way. I have seen too many times in the last few years stupid penalties from a long time veteran player.Did we all forget the dumb personal foul he committed this year when he threw a forearm into the head of an opponent right in front of a ref? This Kreutz can do no wrong love is mind boggling. He is on the decline and hasn't seen the pro bowl in many seasons. I can honestly say I saw 2 Bears centers that were significantly better than Kruetz and that is HOF center Mike Pyle and Jay Higenberg who I think should get HOF consideration down the road. For all those who like Pouncey would you be pissed if the Bears drafted him at 30 and told him he was the starting center? I think Tice could coach him up. Nick Mangold was given the job on draft day and he has done fine. I just think its time for the hard-nosed Hawaiin (Iknow the sarcasm reeks here) to go off into the proverbiale sunset. If Harris can be cut for declining production why not Kreutz?

I agree. I have been calling for an upgrade for three years. Kruetz sucks at blocking in space or when pulling and his penalties are mind boggling.

We need a replacement.

I guess I wasn't clear on my post title. He gets the gyst of it. OL and WR are needs. We can debate the nuances of which WR's and OL-men we want. But the basics of our issues are what he gets.

Speaking of O-line and receivers, Bob LeGere came up with a list of free agents who he thinks could help the Bears. Here's his list:

QB Marc Bulger, Ravens (10)

OT Rashad Butler, Texans (5)

OT Tyson Clabo, Falcons (6)

WR Malcom Floyd, Chargers (5)

DT Aubrayo Franklin, 49ers (8)

OG Robert Gallery, Raiders (6)

OG Richie Incognito, Dolphins (7)

WR Jacoby Jones, Texans (4)

OG Davin Joseph, Bucs (5)

OT Sean Locklear, Seahawks (7)

DT Brandon Mebane, Seahawks (5)

WR Mike Sims-Walker, Jaguars (4)

OT Jeremy Trueblood, Bucs (5)

Numbers in parentheses are years in the NFL. So if it turns out under the new CBA that only 4-year vets are RFAs (which is what the players are asking for,) then everybody but Jacoby Jones and Mike Sims-Walker will be unrestricted. Also, I think Incognito got re-signed since LeGere's article came out.

My two cents: if 5-year vets are unrestricted under the new CBA, then the Bears ought to be on the phone with Davin Joseph and possibly Brandon Mebane. Gallery would be a decent option if Joseph isn't available. Both Floyd and Sims-Walker are very brittle - I'm not that high on either of them. Franklin is a great player, but he's more of a run-stopping nose tackle; I don't think he has that much value unless Anthony Adams leaves. It would be awesome to get Bulger as a backup QB (mostly because that would mean we're definitely cutting Todd Collins) but I think he's going to want to go somewhere like Arizona, where he could start.

I think I just read on PFT that the Fins re-signed Incognito and the Sims-Walker was released.

I pretty much agree w/ your 2 cents. Regarding the WR's, I think I'd rather chance it on Floyd...but neither wow me as to what we really need.

Speaking of O-line and receivers, Bob LeGere came up with a list of free agents who he thinks could help the Bears. Here's his list:

Numbers in parentheses are years in the NFL. So if it turns out under the new CBA that only 4-year vets are RFAs (which is what the players are asking for,) then everybody but Jacoby Jones and Mike Sims-Walker will be unrestricted. Also, I think Incognito got re-signed since LeGere's article came out.

My two cents: if 5-year vets are unrestricted under the new CBA, then the Bears ought to be on the phone with Davin Joseph and possibly Brandon Mebane. Gallery would be a decent option if Joseph isn't available. Both Floyd and Sims-Walker are very brittle - I'm not that high on either of them. Franklin is a great player, but he's more of a run-stopping nose tackle; I don't think he has that much value unless Anthony Adams leaves. It would be awesome to get Bulger as a backup QB (mostly because that would mean we're definitely cutting Todd Collins) but I think he's going to want to go somewhere like Arizona, where he could start.

Thank you. This is a very good find!

Thank you. This is a very good find!

I agree with Jason and will add that this list makes it clear who we should be considering in our thoughts and lets wait for all this to play out because its obvious that we need to wait for a few days since they have extended the current CBA. Why would you do this if there is no progress. I believe the recent judges decision has sent the owners scurrying back to the bargaining table. I always get POed about millionares arguing over who gets an extra million. When some of us have to decide which bills are going to get paid in a given week.

I think I just read on PFT that the Fins re-signed Incognito and the Sims-Walker was released.

I pretty much agree w/ your 2 cents. Regarding the WR's, I think I'd rather chance it on Floyd...but neither wow me as to what we really need.

Having Floyd on my fantasy team drove me nuts. He'd do practically nothing for weeks and then go off for 213 yards. The fact he only finished with 700+ yards with Phillip Rivers throwing him the ball tells me he's inconsistent & mediocre. As 6-5, how's he different then Olsen?

How bad could Sims-Wallker be that Jacksonville released him? I take it Jacksonville is loaded with so much offensive talent they didn't need him anymore?

Wow that list is depressing. Granted the offensive linemen might be good but I've never heard of them. I'd thought maybe we restructured Peppers deal thinking about doing something big. After seeing that list, I doubt it.

Wow that list is depressing. Granted the offensive linemen might be good but I've never heard of them. I'd thought maybe we restructured Peppers deal thinking about doing something big. After seeing that list, I doubt it.

Don't they say that you know an offensive lineman's good when you've never heard his name? :) I know I'm sick of hearing Omiyale's name, since it always comes after "false start" or "holding."

Seriously, you're right though - it's a very average list apart from the o-line and a couple of good run-stopping d-tackles. There are legitimately some good OL on that list, though, and that's not even all the OL who are going to hit free agency. Joseph would be a BIG upgrade at right guard (or he could switch to LG if Williams goes back to tackle) and Clabo's been just a beast for Atlanta as a run-blocking RT. Gallery is better than either of our starting guards by a good bit, and Trueblood is very very talented if he could get the penalties under control. There are going to be some good linemen out there in FA this year, whenever it finally happens. If the Bears draft an o-lineman in the 1st and then make an aggressive play for somebody like Joseph or Gallery, we could have a seriously improved line next season.

Don't they say that you know an offensive lineman's good when you've never heard his name? :) I know I'm sick of hearing Omiyale's name, since it always comes after "false start" or "holding."

Seriously, you're right though - it's a very average list apart from the o-line and a couple of good run-stopping d-tackles. There are legitimately some good OL on that list, though, and that's not even all the OL who are going to hit free agency. Joseph would be a BIG upgrade at right guard (or he could switch to LG if Williams goes back to tackle) and Clabo's been just a beast for Atlanta as a run-blocking RT. Gallery is better than either of our starting guards by a good bit, and Trueblood is very very talented if he could get the penalties under control. There are going to be some good linemen out there in FA this year, whenever it finally happens. If the Bears draft an o-lineman in the 1st and then make an aggressive play for somebody like Joseph or Gallery, we could have a seriously improved line next season.

As you've mentioned, there are several good offensive linemen available via free agency. JA has a history of wanting to sign o-lineman & draft d-linemen. The Bears weren't even in the top 10 in player salaries last year and we front loaded contracts heavily, meaning we can be major players in free agency once again. We'll resign Kreutz & Adams. Both will get average/moderate deals. The only other guy I see us worried about signing is Brad Maynard . . .

This is redundant from a previous post, but I see us spending big $$$ on a free agent o-lineman and I can't see us getting rid of Omiyale or Williams & we love J Webb's potential. In other words, we have all kinds of options with the o-line.

Who would we sign for the d-line? We desperately need a 3 technique tackle and the best available is Tommie Harris. We have to get better production from our defensive ends not named Peppers. The only way Idonije gets 8 sacks is if he's lined up opposite Julius.

I think we'll take a defensive tackle with our first pick because:

a) That's the only way we'll be able to improve the position

B) Angelo LOVES drafting d-lineman

On a side note, I look for Corey Wooton to be a consistent difference maker this year.

As you've mentioned, there are several good offensive linemen available via free agency. JA has a history of wanting to sign o-lineman & draft d-linemen.

Yeah, if history's any indication, he'll make a play for a D-lineman early. I read somewhere that he's spent a pick in Rounds 1-4 on a d-lineman every single year but one, and that was the year that he traded a pick for Ogunleye. So I think it's a given that he'll go d-line early, it's just a question of whether he goes o-line even earlier or tries to fix that in free agency (whenever that finally happens.)

Who would we sign for the d-line? We desperately need a 3 technique tackle and the best available is Tommie Harris. We have to get better production from our defensive ends not named Peppers. The only way Idonije gets 8 sacks is if he's lined up opposite Julius.

Totally agree, although I think there are a couple of FAs out there who would be better than Tommie. I'd rather sign Barry Cofield or Brandon Mebane or especially Cullen Jenkins. All those guys offer more pass rush than Tommie does at this point in his career, and they can play the run too. If Melton can take the next step as a DT, a rotation of Jenkins and Melton could be solid enough to free up Pep. That said, I'd take Drake Nevis in the 2nd (even if we have to trade up) over any of the free-agent DTs out there.

On a side note, I look for Corey Wooton to be a consistent difference maker this year.

Oh yeah, I really like Wootton to push for more playing time this year. I don't know how good he'll get as a pure pass-rusher, but I can see him developing into a good all-around DE to take over at left end when Idonije's done. Between him and Melton, it's nice to finally have a couple of good developmental prospects on our d-line.