New Mock 4/5/11

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

2. Terrell McClain, DT, South Florida

3. Orlando Franklin, OG, Miami

4. Shareece Wright, CB, USC

5. Stephen Burton, WR, West Texas A&M

6. Chris Conte, FS, California

that is a very realistic draft, on what actually might happen. I would try to get Greg Little, WR, North Car in the third as I dont know much about the one you picked.

Sherrod doesn't get much coverage on this board for our first pick This is shaping up to be an interesting draft from the OT perspective because both Solder and Sherrod could be there when we pick. It seems Sherrod is the better player right now but Solder has higher long-term potential and perhaps more importantly better athleticism to anchor the LT position for the future but might struggle this year.

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

2. Terrell McClain, DT, South Florida

3. Orlando Franklin, OG, Miami

4. Shareece Wright, CB, USC

5. Stephen Burton, WR, West Texas A&M

6. Chris Conte, FS, California

I actually wouldn't be upset with this draft. It focuses on the Bears' real needs (OL & DL), while appropriately minimizing those positions I don't think are as big of a concern as some here feel they are (WR). Considering a 5th round WR and a 6th round FS probably won't make the team anyway, I think it would be better to see a Center at one of those positions. Centers are underrated in this year's draft, and underrated in general, and some of the best guys are projected as 5th-7th rounders. Aside from Wisnewski and Kirkpatrick, any of the Centers could fall to the 5th or beyond. I'd like this modification:

Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State;

Solder, OT, Colorado;

Carmini, OT, Wisconsin

(At least one will be there; take him. I hope it's Sherrod; he's a freaking monster who is probably still holding a block from his last game.)

2. Marcus Cannon, G, TCU; or Rodney Hudson, G, FSU (Hope for Cannon)

3. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU (Other teams are scared of his lack of size. Lovie Smith loves his DL to look just like Nevis. He looks like a perfect 3 technique to me.)

(Beast, 4.39 in the 40, stud tackler, great instincts. What else do you need?)

(Good instincts, good tackler, great athlete, bad hands, questionable character. Sounds good to me.)

6. Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State; or Zane Taylor, C, Utah (I'd be happy with either.)

I actually wouldn't be upset with this draft. It focuses on the Bears' real needs (OL & DL), while appropriately minimizing those positions I don't think are as big of a concern as some here feel they are (WR). Considering a 5th round WR and a 6th round FS probably won't make the team anyway, I think it would be better to see a Center at one of those positions. Centers are underrated in this year's draft, and underrated in general, and some of the best guys are projected as 5th-7th rounders. Aside from Wisnewski and Kirkpatrick, any of the Centers could fall to the 5th or beyond. I'd like this modification:

Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State;

Solder, OT, Colorado;

Carmini, OT, Wisconsin

(At least one will be there; take him. I hope it's Sherrod; he's a freaking monster who is probably still holding a block from his last game.)

2. Marcus Cannon, G, TCU; or Rodney Hudson, G, FSU (Hope for Cannon)

3. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU (Other teams are scared of his lack of size. Lovie Smith loves his DL to look just like Nevis. He looks like a perfect 3 technique to me.)

(Beast, 4.39 in the 40, stud tackler, great instincts. What else do you need?)

(Good instincts, good tackler, great athlete, bad hands, questionable character. Sounds good to me.)

6. Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State; or Zane Taylor, C, Utah (I'd be happy with either.)

I dont think Nevis will be there in the third so you will have to take him in the second. Linnenkohl will be a great pick for all I have read about him.

I dont think Nevis will be there in the third so you will have to take him in the second. Linnenkohl will be a great pick for all I have read about him.

It's possible. I have seen more than a few sources that say teams are scared of his light weight and frame.

Is it likely? Maybe not. You're probably right that someone will take a chance on him in the late 2nd. Which I think would be a reach.

We're talking about him falling to late 3rd round. I don't see that because he was too productive at a good program in a good conference. If he is there in the early 3rd and we haven't grabbed a DT yet then the Bears need to consider moving up to draft him. Everyone knows the teams we need to get ahead of to do that and it appears there's only two of them.

We're talking about him falling to late 3rd round. I don't see that because he was too productive at a good program in a good conference. If he is there in the early 3rd and we haven't grabbed a DT yet then the Bears need to consider moving up to draft him. Everyone knows the teams we need to get ahead of to do that and it appears there's only two of them.

Some teams are not too keen on LSU DT's and their transition to the NFL. Those of recent drafts like Dorsey have not reached the level of what their draft status suggest. I believe that Nevis may be better than scouts think but the Bears may be apprehensive with going after a DT early unless it is a unusual case with someone falling to them. This could all be moot if the Bears take the Illinois DT Liuget in round one.

No idea where else to stick this, but it's interesting. Colts President Bill Polian talking about what a good draft success rate is.

That's interesting but one key to winning the Superbowl is drafting blue chip players when you draft early. Every team has to have a few of them on the roster on both sides of the ball. If you draft in the top 10 and come out with just a starting caliber player, while it helps the team improve I look at it as a missed opportunity. Naturally some drafts the talent level isn't that good. Of course you can also get elite players in FA like the Bears did with Peppers.

Cant argue with that draft one bit.... I honestly think we need a WR in FreeAgency or 2nd Round... but whatever

I was hoping that Michael Floyd would declare for the supplemental draft. That way we could have loaded up on the lines in this year's draft, and then spent next year's 2nd (which is extremely high for a supplemental pick, so we'd probably get him) on a borderline-1st-round-caliber receiver.

As is, I think you're right - it's probably got to be FA. I don't think any of the receivers likely to be available when we pick in the 2nd are guys who can make an immediate impact. If somebody like Baldwin falls that far, that's a different story, but I doubt that.

Here's what I'd do, at the moment:

1) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin - The LTs will rise, the RTs will fall. I think Carimi can play either and the Bears have looked at him hard.

2) Orlando Franklin, OT/OG, Miami - The rebuild of the O-line continues. Frankline can probably step right in anywhere but center on the line and brings a bit of nastiness sorely lacking in the current O-line.

3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC - Not the best fit, but he's a good penetrator and his lack of height may cause him to slide to around here, where the Bears still have to fill their need at DT.

4) Brandon Hogan, CB, West Virginia - If his head's on straight, he's got the pure cover skills to be a starter, so I'm more than willing to take a chance on him here.

5) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College - After recovering from a bout with cancer, Herzlich could go anywhere from the 3rd round to the 7th. If he's back anywhere near full strength, he's a bargain here.

6) Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon - With Aromashodu likely gone, it's time to fill his slot as the WR who has talent but perpetually squanders on the practice squad.

1) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin - The LTs will rise, the RTs will fall. I think Carimi can play either and the Bears have looked at him hard.

2) Orlando Franklin, OT/OG, Miami - The rebuild of the O-line continues. Frankline can probably step right in anywhere but center on the line and brings a bit of nastiness sorely lacking in the current O-line.

3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC - Not the best fit, but he's a good penetrator and his lack of height may cause him to slide to around here, where the Bears still have to fill their need at DT.

4) Brandon Hogan, CB, West Virginia - If his head's on straight, he's got the pure cover skills to be a starter, so I'm more than willing to take a chance on him here.

5) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College - After recovering from a bout with cancer, Herzlich could go anywhere from the 3rd round to the 7th. If he's back anywhere near full strength, he's a bargain here.

6) Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon - With Aromashodu likely gone, it's time to fill his slot as the WR who has talent but perpetually squanders on the practice squad.

I like this one.

I like this a lot. Carimi and Franklin would help revitalize the o-line; I'd be very OK with a line of Carimi-Williams-Kreutz-Franklin-Webb, with Omiyale as the swing tackle and Garza backing up all three interior spots. All of a sudden that's a very young, talented o-line, with just one aging vet left in the starting lineup. They'd just need one more decent year out of Kreutz, and then they can look for a center in next year's draft. Also, we'd finally have some size and power up front, with a bunch of guys who go 6'6" to 6'8" and 315-335 pounds. Plus, I have to think Martz's 5-man protections would work a lot better with 4 guys on the o-line who were LTs in college.

I think both Casey and Hogan would be GREAT value in the middle rounds. Both guys are likely to slip because they're not ideal for every scheme, but they'd be very good fits in the Bears' D. Casey's not an elite talent like Marvin Austin, but he's probably got a higher floor than Austin does. He reminds me a little bit of Sedrick Ellis: short/squat player, above-average in terms of quickness and pass rush, surprisingly powerful for his size, etc.

The one guy I couldn't see the Bears going for is Herzlich. I love the guy and think he'll be a great player for somebody, but I don't think he has the range or athleticism to play in a Tampa scheme. If we're picking a linebacker in the 5th, I think it has to be a rangy guy who can play in coverage, like Brian Rolle from Ohio State or Mike Mohamed from Cal.