Chris Conte - 3rd Rounder

DABEARSDABOMB

Guest TerraTor
Angelo does it again. Chalk this up in the bust column. Why would we have not drafted a CB or OG?

You gotta be freakin kidding me...?

A white SAfety? or a safety at all?

Asshole

Do not like this pick. ESPN just shits on him in their analysis. He was projected as a guy who might not even get drafted. Horrible reach when there were two quality OG picks left and better talent at other positions of greater need.

Once again JA proves that this board could probably draft better.

I'm not convinced this isn't a CB pick. He was a converted CB to safety and was announced as a "DB". Initial opinion is that this is another Todd Johnson/Craig Steltz pick, but I have been wanting a safety with size for a long time, and he was an All Pac-10 safety in a conference that thows it a bunch, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

Mike Mayock is raving about him. Said he was shooting up the draft boards and they talk about how he is just a big tackler and gets in the middle of everything. Was an OLB up until this past season.

1st team All American in the Pac 10 last year.

And since I like Mayock, I'll support the player, not the need. Of course, we've needed safeties forever so its nice that we are finally addressing the position the past 2 drafts.

I'm not convinced this isn't a CB pick. He was a converted CB to safety and was announced as a "DB". Initial opinion is that this is another Todd Johnson/Craig Steltz pick, but I have been wanting a safety with size for a long time, and he was an All Pac-10 safety in a conference that thows it a bunch, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

IT is a real good sign that the guy was a safety that could play in the pac 10. If you can play a little D in the pac 10 and hold up against the pass you are in good shape, especially since the Pac 10 has more NFL offenses than any conference in the country, imo (with the exception to Oregon).

Angelo has drafted a safety 7 years in a row and hasn't hit on one yet besides Mike Brown. Funny how ESPN never even talked about him, that should say it all.

Angelo did not draft Mike Brown. ESPN hardly talks about the Bears so I wouldn't worry about their analysis.

peace :dabears

Angelo did not draft Mike Brown. ESPN hardly talks about the Bears so I wouldn't worry about their analysis.

peace :dabears

Ahh well then that makes it even worse... I just find it funny how ESPN has shown video of every player drafted up to the point where we draft Conte. A CB or OG would have been great. Now we will be drafting 2 more practice squad players with our 5th and 6th while we don't have a 4th and we might as well shouldn't have had a 3rd... UGH

Apparently, there was some talk of Conte being picked as high as the second round:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/28926957

"California FS Chris Conte -- Overshadowed in the Pac-10 by UCLA's Rahim Moore, but some teams view Conte as the better prospect. Former cornerback who proved to be a reliable open field tackler. Viewed as an ascending talent."

Some praise from Pro Football Weekly as well:

29 (93) Chicago Bears: S Chris Conte, California

With the high amount of collisions required at the safety position in Lovie Smith's preferred defense, GM Jerry Angelo seemingly must address the position every year. There's a chance Danieal Manning could depart, as well. Conte was a late riser who really impressed secondary coaches in the evaluation process. He plays like a poor man's John Lynch and elevated on draftboards in a weak safety class.

Since it wasn't the obvious pick, it must've been that he was (close to) the best player available on their draft board. That doesn't mean their draft board isn't crap, but it does mean there was reason to think it wasn't a reach to them, the exact opposite really...passing up higher players on your draft board is typically reaching.

Since it wasn't the obvious pick, it must've been that he was (close to) the best player available on their draft board. That doesn't mean their draft board isn't crap, but it does mean there was reason to think it wasn't a reach to them, the exact opposite really...passing up higher players on your draft board is typically reaching.

Good point. It wasn't a reach...to the Bears. But to just about everyone else involved with the NFL draft, it was a reach. And since the Bears need other positions more, especially more than a project OLB/DB/S hybrid who probably will do no better than ST, it's a reach.

Guest TerraTor
This pick simply highlight all the bad picks we have had at safety:

- Al Alfalava

- Craig Steltz

- Kevin Payne

- Todd Johnson

Peace :dabears

Good god!!!

Guest TerraTor

no other way to say it.... With the Oline and WR as shiddy as they are... The pick is just awful...to be honest it really changes my outlook on the whole draft.....

At least we arent the Vikings

This pick simply highlight all the bad picks we have had at safety:

- Al Alfalava

- Craig Steltz

- Kevin Payne

- Todd Johnson

...just to name a few.

Peace :dabears

Afalava is with Colts

Payne with Rams

Johnson with the Bills

All of the above arte still in the NFL so they are not that bad. Just to show a few.

Peace out