DABEARSDABOMB

This pick simply highlight all the bad picks we have had at safety:

- Al Alfalava

- Craig Steltz

- Kevin Payne

- Todd Johnson

...just to name a few.

Peace :dabears

Yeah but its not like those guys were first rounders. We got some good run out of those guys in relation to where they were drafted.

Yeah, not sure what folks expect out of 4/5/6 rd picks. If they contribute, and those guys did for some time, then you got something. Every now and then you hope to really hit on one of them but that doesn't happen often for teams.

As for Conte, I never expected us to take a FS. It's very clear he's going to be our FS from Angelo's comments. I can't say a thing about Conte's ability because I haven't even watched so much as a highlight tape. If the Bears are right about his ability that is just what we need going against teams like the Packers so if the kid can play it's a very good pick. Additionally, this means Major Wright just became our SS, and I like him there. Chris Harris became backup extraordinaire (again assuming Conte can play) and that's pretty good depth and finally some pretty good athletes at the position.

Even if it takes Conte a season to get the position down he's already better depth than we've had at FS since JA has been here...mostly because our FS depth has been horrible. Lot's of what-ifs but just like when we drafted Hester I'll wait and see what happens.

Yeah, not sure what folks expect out of 4/5/6 rd picks. If they contribute, and those guys did for some time, then you got something. Every now and then you hope to really hit on one of them but that doesn't happen often for teams.

As for Conte, I never expected us to take a FS. It's very clear he's going to be our FS from Angelo's comments. I can't say a thing about Conte's ability because I haven't even watched so much as a highlight tape. If the Bears are right about his ability that is just what we need going against teams like the Packers so if the kid can play it's a very good pick. Additionally, this means Major Wright just became our SS, and I like him there. Chris Harris became backup extraordinaire (again assuming Conte can play) and that's pretty good depth and finally some pretty good athletes at the position.

Even if it takes Conte a season to get the position down he's already better depth than we've had at FS since JA has been here...mostly because our FS depth has been horrible. Lot's of what-ifs but just like when we drafted Hester I'll wait and see what happens.

Yup, its seems like every year, people expect us to get seven starters per draft. I would be willing to bet, people are going to be roasting the 5th and 6th round picks who prolly wont even make the team unless one is a toolsy LB that can play ST.

I mean that one guy is mad because we addressed two of the biggest weaknesses on the team instead of Bowers. You truely cant please everybody.

I would have liked a guard as well, but it seems like every year guards get pushed down and guys who are projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round get drafted in the 5th to 7th round. Mitch Petrus, Roy Schuening, and Trevor Canfield spring to mind.

I also wonder if this means the Bears are dedicated to going after a guard in free agency. JA said something interesting at the press conference last night when asked about LB, saying something to the effect that it's not something they looked at hard there because they like a number of possibilities in free agency. Obviously free agency threw a wrench in everyone's plan, but maybe this sheds some light on the Bears' free agency plans.

I'm not so sure that Conte's position is going to be FS in the pros: I think he might be a better fit at SS or even OLB. Like some people in this thread have said, he played mostly corner and some OLB in college before switching to safety this past season. For one thing, I don't know that he's got the skillset for an NFL free safety: apparently while he has a lot of range and 4.55 speed, he still needs work on his reads and awareness in coverage, and his biggest strengths are pursuit and tackling.

Also, Cal's coaches asked him to drop almost 15 pounds his senior year: he played at 199 after being as big as 212 before. Looking at photos from this past season, he looks like a wide receiver at 6'2-5/8" and 199...he'll need to bulk back up in the pros (unless they're planning on moving him to CB, which doesn't seem like a great idea.) The good thing, though, is that Conte's not one of these guys who's maxed out for his frame; in fact, he looks downright skinny at 199. Obviously, he can get back up around 215, since he played at about that weight before. If he can throw on another 10 pounds on top of that, I could see him being a small Sam linebacker like Tinoisamoa. Pisa goes 6'1" and is generously listed at 230...a lot of the time his playing weight is around 220. I could see Conte starting out at SS, but eventually moving to OLB if he can get up to the 225-230 range without losing too much speed.

I mean, if you've got a former DB who's almost 6'3" and 225+ pounds, and his biggest strengths are range, athleticism, physicality, and reliable tackling, to me, that's a developmental Tampa-2 linebacker. I say list him at SS as a rookie, let him concentrate on special teams for a year, and plan on moving him to OLB if he outgrows the safety position.

I'm not so sure that Conte's position is going to be FS in the pros: I think he might be a better fit at SS or even OLB. Like some people in this thread have said, he played mostly corner and some OLB in college before switching to safety this past season. For one thing, I don't know that he's got the skillset for an NFL free safety: apparently while he has a lot of range and 4.55 speed, he still needs work on his reads and awareness in coverage, and his biggest strengths are pursuit and tackling.

Also, Cal's coaches asked him to drop almost 15 pounds his senior year: he played at 199 after being as big as 212 before. Looking at photos from this past season, he looks like a wide receiver at 6'2-5/8" and 199...he'll need to bulk back up in the pros (unless they're planning on moving him to CB, which doesn't seem like a great idea.) The good thing, though, is that Conte's not one of these guys who's maxed out for his frame; in fact, he looks downright skinny at 199. Obviously, he can get back up around 215, since he played at about that weight before. If he can throw on another 10 pounds on top of that, I could see him being a small Sam linebacker like Tinoisamoa. Pisa goes 6'1" and is generously listed at 230...a lot of the time his playing weight is around 220. I could see Conte starting out at SS, but eventually moving to OLB if he can get up to the 225-230 range without losing too much speed.

I mean, if you've got a former DB who's almost 6'3" and 225+ pounds, and his biggest strengths are range, athleticism, physicality, and reliable tackling, to me, that's a developmental Tampa-2 linebacker. I say list him at SS as a rookie, let him concentrate on special teams for a year, and plan on moving him to OLB if he outgrows the safety position.

Thats kind of funny, cause in the back of my mind I was thinking the whole Url safety to LB thing and could this be the same type of deal. Maybe they look at him as a MLB that can get deep in coverage.

Also, here's some stuff on Conte from a Cal fan on another board:

He was a HS Safety who wanted to play CB and we let him for 3 years. Clancy Pendergast finally convinced him to try Safety and he suddenly became an all-conference safety. Solid guy, fast, probably special teams with a possibility to contribute as a starter if he pans out and learns.`

I wouldn't worry about him not panning out. More often than not, Cal's players have always been at least decent contributors.

My two cents: I would much rather have had a guard or a WR, at least in principle. But Moffitt, Hudson, and Rackley were gone, and none of the remaining guard prospects were slam-dunks to be starters. Same thing with the receivers: you'd be looking at #2/#3 types like Tandon Doss or Cecil Shorts, or developmental projects like Edmond Gates.

If Conte turns out to be an OLB, then I like the pick. We really did need to get a developmental LB in this draft: both Urlacher and Briggs are getting up there, and Pisa's always hurt. Even if we can re-sign Nick Roach, we needed to address the position. Plus, I do trust Angelo and Lovie to manufacture OLBs. They always seem to be able to pick guys on the cheap and coach them up at that position.

If Conte's really a safety, though, then he better turn into the next Chris Harris. It's one thing to spend a 5th-7th on a safety, like Angelo does every year. It's not a big deal if those guys are just special teamers and backups. The last time we spent a 3rd-rounder on a safety, though, it was Major Wright; that early in the draft, you're expecting to get an eventual starter.

Thats kind of funny, cause in the back of my mind I was thinking the whole Url safety to LB thing and could this be the same type of deal. Maybe they look at him as a MLB that can get deep in coverage.

Yeah, actually, that might make even more sense if he can get big enough to handle it. The MLB's role in our base Tampa-2 look is basically a Cover-3 FS. Even if Conte might not have quite the coverage skills to stay at FS, maybe he could be a poor man's Urlacher and play MLB. He'd have to put on a LOT of weight, though: I'm OK with having a 225-pound OLB like Pisa, but I really wouldn't want to see a Mike linebacker smaller than 235-240.

My two cents: I would much rather have had a guard or a WR, at least in principle. But Moffitt, Hudson, and Rackley were gone, and none of the remaining guard prospects were slam-dunks to be starters. Same thing with the receivers: you'd be looking at #2/#3 types like Tandon Doss or Cecil Shorts, or developmental projects like Edmond Gates.

Guard, WR, CB . . . all 3 were far greater needs. I'd have been happy with Conte in the 5th but not in the 3rd. I've yet to read anything that warrants him being drafted this high. It reminds me of the year we drafted Dan Bazuin, Michael Okwo, and Garrett Wolfe. All 3 were reachs and the thought was "trust Angelo." With Conte, either Angelo sees something nobody else does or we made a big mistake taking him this high.

If Conte turns out to be an OLB, then I like the pick. We really did need to get a developmental LB in this draft: both Urlacher and Briggs are getting up there, and Pisa's always hurt. Even if we can re-sign Nick Roach, we needed to address the position. Plus, I do trust Angelo and Lovie to manufacture OLBs. They always seem to be able to pick guys on the cheap and coach them up at that position.

Angelo already said Conte would play FS. At 197, Conte would need to gain 30 pounds to play linebacker.

As for coaching up outside linebackers, that's easy to do when you're flanked by Briggs & Urlacher.

If Conte's really a safety, though, then he better turn into the next Chris Harris. It's one thing to spend a 5th-7th on a safety, like Angelo does every year. It's not a big deal if those guys are just special teamers and backups. The last time we spent a 3rd-rounder on a safety, though, it was Major Wright; that early in the draft, you're expecting to get an eventual starter.

Chris Harris was a 6th round pick. We never particularly liked him with this defense and often bench him on passing downs. There are high expectations with 3rd rounders.

Out of the first 3 picks the Bears had, two of them have gone to defense. We were the 30th ranked offense last year. Spend some fricken picks on offense! It makes it worse when the positions you draft on defense (The 3rd rounder) aren't even positions of need. I would have been fine if we drafted a tall physical corner in the 3rd, but drafting a scrub safety was downright awful. Bears still need a CB, OG, and a WR. Hopefully most of these picks will be spent on the offensive end today.

Out of the first 3 picks the Bears had, two of them have gone to defense. We were the 30th ranked offense last year. Spend some fricken picks on offense! It makes it worse when the positions you draft on defense (The 3rd rounder) aren't even positions of need. I would have been fine if we drafted a tall physical corner in the 3rd, but drafting a scrub safety was downright awful. Bears still need a CB, OG, and a WR. Hopefully most of these picks will be spent on the offensive end today.

Highlighted the important part. For whatever reason (hint: Lovie and his defensive reputation) the Bears always seem to draft more defense...even when not needed nearly as much as offense. It's especially puzzling because 2008 yielded such riches with the first three picks (Williams, Forte, Bennett).

Since day 3 picks are almost always projects of some sort, it looks like the Bears will have many of the same problems as last year (QB protection and run blocking, weak one-on-one DB play)

I'm not nearly as worried as spending a 5th & 6th round pick on offense as I am spending money through free agency on offense. I'm hoping we sign a top-tier starting guard such as Robert Gallery.

Actually 3 of the 4 first picks the Bears had went to D. They used their 4th to trade up and get Paea.

We did pick up a nice running back in the 7th with Harvey Unga. He's a good blocker/receiver and was said to be a 4th/5th round talent. Hopefully, after having a year off in the weight room he'll be ready to contribute this year.