The draft is over

jason

So, the draft is over. We know where everyone was selected. Without imaginary trades, what do you wish the Bears would have done with the players available when they picked?

1st - Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin

2nd - Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

3rd - Clint Boling, OL, UGA

5th - Quan Sturdivant, LB, UNC

6th - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

So, the draft is over. We know where everyone was selected. Without imaginary trades, what do you wish the Bears would have done with the players available when they picked?

1 - Gabe Carimi OT Wis

2 - Terrell McClain DT South Florida

3- Clint Boling OG Georgia

4- Jason Pinkston OG Pitt

5- Nathan Enderle QB Idaho

6-Raymond Mistral DB South Florida

1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

2. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

3. Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

5. Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

6. Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

1 - Gabe Carimi OT Wis

2 - Terrell McClain DT South Florida

3- Clint Boling OG Georgia

4- Jason Pinkston OG Pitt

5- Nathan Enderle QB Idaho

6-Raymond Mistral DB South Florida

Really? McClain over Paea? Interesting.

The beauty of this...is that EVERYONE is in agreement that 1 and 2 were great picks!

And in all honesty, the late picks won't amount to much regardless who we would have picked.

That alone, makes me think, on paper, this was an A draft for us. When you can hit the mark on your top 2 picks...that's damn good! Time will tell, but right now, it looks wonderful!

The beauty of this...is that EVERYONE is in agreement that 1 and 2 were great picks!

And in all honesty, the late picks won't amount to much regardless who we would have picked.

That alone, makes me think, on paper, this was an A draft for us. When you can hit the mark on your top 2 picks...that's damn good! Time will tell, but right now, it looks wonderful!

The problem is that in the last couple of years the Bears have tried to insert 7th rounders into the lineup on the OL Lance Louis and JaMarcus Webb. Going into last seasons TC Louis was at RG and Garza was at LG Williams at LT and Omihell was at RT. Since in the last couple of years we haven't drafted in the first round and looking at the Dan Bazuins and Jarron Gilbert,Jaquin Iglesiases,Darren Wolfes, Mark Bradleys and even Roosevelt Williams'in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I will reserve judgement on this draft until I see the guys during THE REGULAR SEASON because even though we have what I feel are great need picks I still remember the last time we picked a linemen that just about everyone was OK with Mark Colombo and he panned out for someone else after we rehabbed him. Mad L I don't want to crush your good vibes but this is what we have been dealing with recently.

The problem is that in the last couple of years the Bears have tried to insert 7th rounders into the lineup on the OL Lance Louis and JaMarcus Webb. Going into last seasons TC Louis was at RG and Garza was at LG Williams at LT and Omihell was at RT. Since in the last couple of years we haven't drafted in the first round and looking at the Dan Bazuins and Jarron Gilbert,Jaquin Iglesiases,Darren Wolfes, Mark Bradleys and even Roosevelt Williams'in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I will reserve judgement on this draft until I see the guys during THE REGULAR SEASON because even though we have what I feel are great need picks I still remember the last time we picked a linemen that just about everyone was OK with Mark Colombo and he panned out for someone else after we rehabbed him. Mad L I don't want to crush your good vibes but this is what we have been dealing with recently.

Recently we have obtained Peppers, Taylor, Manu, I think this was the point Angelo more or less got his act together in picks. He realized that the line on both sides of the ball needed upgrades. Also special teams were in need of new blood along with back up for certain positions, Conti was selected for the appearant loss of Manning. Thomas for ST play as well as range in on the field play and the loss of Hilly. Enderle was replacement for T bone, All in all any skeptic point of view has to realize that this draft for better words were exactly what was needed, Now let the FA begin to fill in the rest.

Sadly, the reason they had to do that is becasue they didn't address those needs in prior drafts, lost the picks due to trrades...or completley whiffed on the picks.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not making any guarantees. But, on paper, this looks about as good as you could ask for.

Believe you me, I'm a glass half empty guy. But, right now, my glass is totally empty. But, that's because I just pounded my ice cold large "filled to the brim" beer!

Recently we have obtained Peppers, Taylor, Manu, I think this was the point Angelo more or less got his act together in picks. He realized that the line on both sides of the ball needed upgrades. Also special teams were in need of new blood along with back up for certain positions, Conti was selected for the appearant loss of Manning. Thomas for ST play as well as range in on the field play and the loss of Hilly. Enderle was replacement for T bone, All in all any skeptic point of view has to realize that this draft for better words were exactly what was needed, Now let the FA begin to fill in the rest.

I still believe that Martz is not comfortable with Hanie and if we can go back to when he was making comments about Cutler on NFL Network as an analyst he has excepted that he has to deal with Cutler but he may be able to have some influence on who is number 2. This is the second QB they have drafted with Martz in the fold and Enderle was personally worked out by Martz.

Yes, he said Enderle has the ability and was brought in to compete for the #2 spot. I have no problem with a coach telling the players they have to compete for a role. As a Bears fan it's just nice to see there is no argument over who will be the #1 QB.

Keep in mind, this is the same brain trust that didn't let Hanie compete with Collins... And annointed Collins.

Yes, he said Enderle has the ability and was brought in to compete for the #2 spot. I have no problem with a coach telling the players they have to compete for a role. As a Bears fan it's just nice to see there is no argument over who will be the #1 QB.

I still believe that Martz is not comfortable with Hanie and if we can go back to when he was making comments about Cutler on NFL Network as an analyst he has excepted that he has to deal with Cutler but he may be able to have some influence on who is number 2. This is the second QB they have drafted with Martz in the fold and Enderle was personally worked out by Martz.

I think he legitimately likes Cutler, but I think you're right about Hanie. It's pretty clear that both Cutler and Martz know that the way Cutler played before last season was not a fit at all for Martz's offense, but I believe Martz when he says that Cutler has the potential to be a great fit for his system. I mean, the one thing that Martz seems to prize above everything else is toughness. He loved Jon Kitna because Kitna was willing to take an unholy beating and keep standing up. I think Cutler proved last year that he's as tough as any QB Martz has had.

I don't get why he doesn't like Hanie, though. I remember some sportswriter basically saying that Martz either likes a QB or he doesn't, and if he doesn't like the guy that's pretty much it. It'd be a shame if Martz got rid of Hanie, though. He's consistently looked good in preseason, and I think he has a chance to develop into kind of a poor man's Jeff Garcia. He's maybe not the best at executing everything smoothly, but he's mobile, he can improvise well, and he keeps the play alive. If Martz cuts him loose, I'm sure he'd have plenty of teams offering him another backup job.

EDIT: My two cents on how I wish the draft went

1) Carimi

2) Paea

3) Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana

5) DeMarcus Love, LT, Arkansas

6) Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh

Doss would give Cutler a bigger target at WR, and is supposed to have phenomenal hands. I could see him working in sub-packages initially, and maybe challenging for a starting spot down the road. Love played RG for Arkansas back in 2009, and could move back there. He'd give us some pop in the run game, especially teamed up with Carimi or Webb at RT. Romeus is a pure upside pick: if his injuries don't recur or can be managed, the guy's a first-round pass-rusher. He might need to be on a snap count as a rookie, but that's OK: we don't really have a pure nickel rusher on the roster. A third-down line of Peppers-Paea-Melton-Romeus could be pretty nasty.

Of course, going that direction in the draft would put a lot of pressure on the front office to re-sign Danieal Manning and Nick Roach, and probably another one of our FA linebackers, too. But Manning's worth bringing back, even if he wants a raise, and it shouldn't be hard to sign Roach and Pisa/Iwuh.

I think Martz problem with Hanie is his best talent is his mobility and ability to make plays when he scrambles. Hanie isn't known for his accuracy nor his strong arm and typically in a Martz system you are less mobile and more known for at the minimum, having a quick release and being able to throw accurate balls.

Cutler isn't even a typical fit, except he does throw a pretty accurate ball, the thing is, he's also very mobile. His only issue is he isn't known for necessarily being content making quick reads.

I think he legitimately likes Cutler, but I think you're right about Hanie. It's pretty clear that both Cutler and Martz know that the way Cutler played before last season was not a fit at all for Martz's offense, but I believe Martz when he says that Cutler has the potential to be a great fit for his system. I mean, the one thing that Martz seems to prize above everything else is toughness. He loved Jon Kitna because Kitna was willing to take an unholy beating and keep standing up. I think Cutler proved last year that he's as tough as any QB Martz has had.

I don't get why he doesn't like Hanie, though. I remember some sportswriter basically saying that Martz either likes a QB or he doesn't, and if he doesn't like the guy that's pretty much it. It'd be a shame if Martz got rid of Hanie, though. He's consistently looked good in preseason, and I think he has a chance to develop into kind of a poor man's Jeff Garcia. He's maybe not the best at executing everything smoothly, but he's mobile, he can improvise well, and he keeps the play alive. If Martz cuts him loose, I'm sure he'd have plenty of teams offering him another backup job.

EDIT: My two cents on how I wish the draft went

1) Carimi

2) Paea

3) Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana

5) DeMarcus Love, LT, Arkansas

6) Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh

Doss would give Cutler a bigger target at WR, and is supposed to have phenomenal hands. I could see him working in sub-packages initially, and maybe challenging for a starting spot down the road. Love played RG for Arkansas back in 2009, and could move back there. He'd give us some pop in the run game, especially teamed up with Carimi or Webb at RT. Romeus is a pure upside pick: if his injuries don't recur or can be managed, the guy's a first-round pass-rusher. He might need to be on a snap count as a rookie, but that's OK: we don't really have a pure nickel rusher on the roster. A third-down line of Peppers-Paea-Melton-Romeus could be pretty nasty.

Of course, going that direction in the draft would put a lot of pressure on the front office to re-sign Danieal Manning and Nick Roach, and probably another one of our FA linebackers, too. But Manning's worth bringing back, even if he wants a raise, and it shouldn't be hard to sign Roach and Pisa/Iwuh.

I still Believe he has to like Cutler or else "Hit The Bricks" because of the Bears committment to Cutler and his comments were about Cutler's body language and seemed pretty biting.Since Lovie like to play the field position game Daniel Manning is the 4th most critical guy on the roster after Hester, Maynard and Gould.That means on kickoffs he is a force to be reckoned with. This can only mean IMO that Hester is going to be doing both PR an KR.

BTW I like your picks 5 and 6 and really thought I had scouted out JA's patterrn of taking a rehab project player.

Having hester do KR and PR both is a plus I think... Many may disagree. He rocks at both. He just had a little hiccup a few years back when he was trying to learn the WR position.

I think Manning is expendible...

I still Believe he has to like Cutler or else "Hit The Bricks" because of the Bears committment to Cutler and his comments were about Cutler's body language and seemed pretty biting.Since Lovie like to play the field position game Daniel Manning is the 4th most critical guy on the roster after Hester, Maynard and Gould.That means on kickoffs he is a force to be reckoned with. This can only mean IMO that Hester is going to be doing both PR an KR.

BTW I like your picks 5 and 6 and really thought I had scouted out JA's patterrn of taking a rehab project player.

Boling would've been damn nice in the 3rd. I'd wish I could trust the Bears when they talk about how good Conte is and how much research they've put into him.

Everybody agrees on Carimi & Paea. On Enderle, if we think he's a legit talent and can be our #2, that's great. With Thomas, we've had good luck with lb'ers.

Assuming we sign a top-tier guard and resign Anthony Adams, it's a nice draft.

1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

2. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

3. Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

5. Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

6. Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Really? McClain over Paea? Interesting.

Only giving a different route that I would have still been pleased with. Don't get me wrong I love the Paea pick and think he is more starter ready than McClain right now. What if Paea would've lasted 9 more picks? My 2nd route only shows what we could've had instead.

Only giving a different route that I would have still been pleased with. Don't get me wrong I love the Paea pick and think he is more starter ready than McClain right now. What if Paea would've lasted 9 more picks? My 2nd route only shows what we could've had instead.

I don't know that Philly would have passed on Paea; I think the Bears were smart to get ahead of them. Here's Greg Cosell (who knows his stuff) breaking down Paea's tape and talking about what a good schematic fit he would be in Philly's defense. I'm glad to see that the Bears ditched Angelo's usual "hope our guy falls to us, trade down if he doesn't" strategy this year, and actually moved up to get some impact players.

The Bears needed an impact player to replace Tommie, and to hear Cosell tell it, Paea's got a chance to be an even better player in the NFL than he was in college. He compared Paea to a less-gifted version of Ndamukong Suh: a power player, but with enough quickness/athleticism to be disruptive as a pass-rusher. Cosell watches more tape than just about anybody short of John Madden, so I really hope he's right.

Cosell seemed higher on Paea's potential than Carimi's, but he didn't hate on Carimi either - he said Carimi is a "workmanlike OT w/no special athletic traits but consistent execution snap after snap. No glaring weaknesses that can't be coached." For what it's worth, that's exactly what I think the Bears needed on the o-line: they don't need an ultra-athletic project like Solder, they needed a guy who was polished and ready to go from Day 1. I'm glad to see the Bears pulling the trigger on some players who can step right in and contribute, after years of wasting early picks on projects.