Thoughts on the game

BearFan2000

Just some random thoughts on the game

- Cutler again looked comfortable and his mechanics and decision making was good only really rushed one throw, and the pick was not his fault. I've been pretty pleased with Jay's performance thus far.

- Roy Williams... the pick was your fault 100% the ball hit you in the hands and was picked off A couple nice catches but you have got to catch the ball in traffic and especially if it hits you in the hands.

- I'm a little concerned about Gould's inconsistency this preseason, not sure how much of this is Maynard no longer being the holder but this has to get tightened up. It was nice to see him come back and hit on the 52 yarder and was 2 of 3 on the night but his miss on the 29 yarder was his fourth of the preseason though one of those 4 would have been a personal long which had the distance but was a bit wide. We know he's got the leg as the 52 yarder had room to spare. Perhaps he's just a little rusty or off and is working on getting his mojo back. But we need him to be accurate especially given our offensive problems in the red zone.

- Forte for the first time got more work tonight and took advantage ran hard and ran well, 67 yards in 2 quarters and one series on pace for a 100 yard game had he played all game. He looked sharp. I think he deserves to be paid and I don't doubt that he will get paid, if he doesn't bad on the Bears.

- WR's did cut down on some of the drops though Hester had a couple big drops that he should have caught, one in particular was eerily similar to the Roy Williams tip interception. Bennett was money every time Cutler even said that he always feels good when Bennett is in the game. Knox did well but needs to take better care of the ball that fumble on the kick return was not forced it just squirted out but it was a heads up play to stay with it and swat the ball out of bounds to maintain possession. Sanzenbacher played well had one drop that he should have caught was back on returns but didn't have much opportunity with returnable balls. Unlike last week in the hurry up he caught the ball and got out of bounds after securing the first down rather than staying in bounds. I think he makes the roster.

- Barber ran well till he got that calf injury hopefully its not too serious it may be more precautionary that they took him out I think he has little more to prove he will be the #2 back. Bye bye C. Taylor, you will be packing Bell will be the #3 back. I like Bell he's got a similar skill set like Forte, good runner hits the hole fast has some make ya miss, and has good hands out of the backfield. Combined with Barber's reckless abandon I like our backs going in and I think the line does a decent job run blocking.

- The officials seem intent to do little to protect our QB's, this is something that irks me a little, several times cutler was hit or taken down well after the throw right in front of the back judge and no flag. Later in the 4th Haine is horse-collared right in front of the ref and no call instead of a 25 yard penalty and an automatic first down which would have helped us get closer to field goal range we get a sack and it kills the drive with time running out. I think the Bears should say something to the league about this I'm sick of watching our QB's take unnecessary abuse after throwing the ball, it doesn't get called as often as it should which only encourages defenders to keep doing it.

- Dez Clark I seriously hope its not serious but my hunch is it is serious and he took a helmet right to the knee and was carted off. Which sucks for him because I really felt he had a chance to be a part of the offense this season after being virtually a forgotten man. Either way I wish him the best he's been one of the good guys and a favorite of mine over the years.

- Defense, nice to see consistent penetration and being quick off the snap we got held a lot in this game, I think Okoye has established himself in that 5th DT spot on the roster it's nice to see something positive out of the #91 jersey lol. I hope Harrison is gone this guy has done nothing that I can see worth keeping. Golston hasn't done much either wouldn't be surprised to see him gone too. As far as the unit as a whole goes I think they did pretty well they lost contain on some of the run plays, and Major Wright had a week to average game I was hoping he would step up and play better than he did. Coverage was ok with a few really good plays in coverage. Run D was fairly solid aside from some lapses in contain and some bad tackling at times. Tenn is a good run blocking offensive line but they were running with their 3rd string RB.

- Offensive line played pretty well again tonight, for the most part Cutler had time to throw, Haine had time to throw early in his stint but as the backups started to filter in the line got pretty sketchy. Spencer played with the second unit and had an unnecessary holding penalty on a screen play. We still struggle to run screens our line doesn't do a very good job getting out in front, the first team line did do better than the backups but still our screens rarely look pretty. On a side note good job on blitz pickups by the backs, TE's and fullbacks I like seeing blitzers get stoned at the point of impact and that buys the QB that extra split second to find an open man.

- turnovers Haine did some good things but did have the one QB brain fart out there not seeing his WR (Sanzenbacher I believe) cut inside and threw into double or triple coverage on a horrible throw which then got returned for a 90+ yard gimme pick 6. Hester had a ball bounce off his hands that nearly got picked, we had an opportunity on Tenn's lone TD drive a drive that also included trapped catch (which was why they went no huddle). That would have been a better one to throw the challenge flag on than the sideline catch by Knox. But hindsight's 20/20.

- all in all The starters played well, offense and defense. We do need to tighten down the red zone offense we had a missed field goal, and had the Haine pick 6 in the red zone, we did get the Forte TD run which was good to see. We had fewer red zone opportunities this game then the giants game where we had 5 red zone opportunities and came away with a pair of FG's. We need to be scoring TD's once we get inside the 20

I will guarantee that Hanie is not on the team next year.

Peace

yeah, as much as I like the kid and his potential he's looked like crap for most of the preseason just seems to have regressed. We need someone better backing up Jay than what we have. I think Haine will br the #2 this season but that competition for the #2 spot this year I think is one of those tallest midgets. Caleb just looks lost out there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Enderlee get the majority of the game reps for the final preseason game. He could end up winning that #2 spot. but at this point I have little or now confidence if Jay goes down again.

This may sound like a joke... ok so I'm half joking here but say Grossman is edged out for the starting spot would it be too crazy to bring him in... I know he'd probably not be interested for many reasons, from the way he was treated here by the fans, and the fact that he would rather be somewhere where he could have a shot at the starting gig which wouldn't happen here. He has looked pretty good this preseason and perhaps he's gotten some of his mojo back which I think was really his downfall here was he mentally he lost the edge. He had the arm and the tools but most of his problems were in his head. So I throw his name out half jokingly since I doubt either side would be interested.

The tough part about getting a quality backup is the good QB's who can still play at a high level are going to prefer a team where they could start. Those types of guys are not going to want to come here knowing ahead of time at best they'd be second fiddle. Really our only options are to develop a young guy similar to what GB did with Rodgers under Favre, but we have proven we can neither draft well at that position or develop if anything we stunt and ruin young QB's. Our other option is to bring in a vet who's career is on the down side that can be a serviceable at best.

yeah, as much as I like the kid and his potential he's looked like crap for most of the preseason just seems to have regressed. We need someone better backing up Jay than what we have. I think Haine will br the #2 this season but that competition for the #2 spot this year I think is one of those tallest midgets. Caleb just looks lost out there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Enderlee get the majority of the game reps for the final preseason game. He could end up winning that #2 spot. but at this point I have little or now confidence if Jay goes down again.

This may sound like a joke... ok so I'm half joking here but say Grossman is edged out for the starting spot would it be too crazy to bring him in... I know he'd probably not be interested for many reasons, from the way he was treated here by the fans, and the fact that he would rather be somewhere where he could have a shot at the starting gig which wouldn't happen here. He has looked pretty good this preseason and perhaps he's gotten some of his mojo back which I think was really his downfall here was he mentally he lost the edge. He had the arm and the tools but most of his problems were in his head. So I throw his name out half jokingly since I doubt either side would be interested.

The tough part about getting a quality backup is the good QB's who can still play at a high level are going to prefer a team where they could start. Those types of guys are not going to want to come here knowing ahead of time at best they'd be second fiddle. Really our only options are to develop a young guy similar to what GB did with Rodgers under Favre, but we have proven we can neither draft well at that position or develop if anything we stunt and ruin young QB's. Our other option is to bring in a vet who's career is on the down side that can be a serviceable at best.

NO!!!

Hamie made rookie mistakes in his second year in this offense in the preseason and he still locks in on his WRs and pats the ball a touch or two before he throws. Now I see what Martz was seeing and the problem is Enderle does the same thing. So what is the solution? Did Marc Bulger send his retirement letter to the league office? Whats Guttierrez doing? Its obvious that Hanie is still doing some of the things that was in the offense when Ron Turner called the plays and without Martz saying it, I had to figure it out for myself.

Hamie made rookie mistakes in his second year in this offense in the preseason and he still locks in on his WRs and pats the ball a touch or two before he throws. Now I see what Martz was seeing and the problem is Enderle does the same thing. So what is the solution? Did Marc Bulger send his retirement letter to the league office? Whats Guttierrez doing? Its obvious that Hanie is still doing some of the things that was in the offense when Ron Turner called the plays and without Martz saying it, I had to figure it out for myself.

Well I think Hanie has looked like crap. Cant anticipate receivers, gets the ball out late, has no zip on the ball.

I would say that if Martz is back, Hanie is not.

I would rather have Hanie back than Martz. I hate his offense.

Personaly I love it, When the personel are all on the same page this offense rocks. Problem is that most Bear fans want the ball run 45 times a game pass 25 plays. West coast is so blah zeh. But then again most of martz offense is from Air Coryell and West coast,

Well I think Hanie has looked like crap. Cant anticipate receivers, gets the ball out late, has no zip on the ball.

I would say that if Martz is back, Hanie is not.

az I agree and when you are in a timing offense you can't pat the ball twice before you throw it and if anyone knows anything about this quirky offense you have to be at the right spot as a wr so the QB must let the ball go and figure his WR is going to be there. Plus QB 101 says don't stare down your WR before you let the ball go. He is too inconsistent looking off the safety when throwing the intermediate routes.

az I agree and when you are in a timing offense you can't pat the ball twice before you throw it and if anyone knows anything about this quirky offense you have to be at the right spot as a wr so the QB must let the ball go and figure his WR is going to be there. Plus QB 101 says don't stare down your WR before you let the ball go. He is too inconsistent looking off the safety when throwing the intermediate routes.

Yes and that was one of the things that jumps out at me with Haine, he stares down receivers by contrast I see Cutler using his eyes to keep the safety where he wants him so he can throw where he wants to. The hesitation that Haine plays with put him in a hole to start with because of the timing of the offense hesitation throws that timing off then when you stare a receiver down the defense just watches your eyes and any advantage your WR had is gone because the secondary recovers. To look at the Haine situation from a slightly different angle some of the flaws that Haine exhibits are things that Jay exhibited too early on in the martz system, there was hesitation, locking on or forcing the ball. He was thinking too much out there. By contrast this season Jay looks comfortable and has a firm grasp of the offense and isn't thinking and is playing on instinct and it shows. Haine like Jay has been in the system for his second year but doesn't have the live game experience running the offense. He has his moments but it's very up and down with Haine, He will make a play that makes you say wow then he'll follow it up with one that has you throwing projectiles at the TV. What seems to be the case with the Martz offense is that till the QB gets it and finds that comfort and rhythm within the offense they can be up and down. It looks as like things are clicking with Jay now but Haine hasn't gotten to that level with the offense.

Personaly I love it, When the personel are all on the same page this offense rocks. Problem is that most Bear fans want the ball run 45 times a game pass 25 plays. West coast is so blah zeh. But then again most of martz offense is from Air Coryell and West coast,

yes, that's me...i would much rather run the ball and play defense. I think our team is more suited personnel wise to do that rather than pass the ball alot. run the ball, play action pass, use the TE is what i prefer.

but i orefer winning above anything, so however they do that is fine with me.

Got a chance to see the replay today. I'm encouraged about what i am seeing so far in all the games. I use to bitch all the time because we could never run a screen play to save our butts. Now I see an athletic line able to get out on a screen. I see the big dudes running down the field lookin for some blocks. I really love the power running game that has been showing up. I've noticed that the passing game is basically 10 plus yards a throw. The first two games I saw alot of screens and heavy running. this game and the last had some of those long throws. I believe that this what we are going to expect. We are gonna pound and play action the crap out of everyone for some huge plays. I have to believe that martz aint showing much. we've just got a little taste of what to expect. When we really game plan, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. we just gotta stay healthy and get through this last game. I'm very encouraged. I know we got work to do. If those recievers of ours woulda caught the damn ball we would blew these jokers out in the first quarter and had all the writers and looneys going ga ga. Its coming along. I'd rather be a snake in the grass anyway. BEAR DOWN!

yes, that's me...i would much rather run the ball and play defense. I think our team is more suited personnel wise to do that rather than pass the ball alot. run the ball, play action pass, use the TE is what i prefer.

I'll second that!! And if for no other reason the Chicago weather doesn't allow for an offense like "the greatest show on turf" to flourish. Especially late in the year and when you have home field throughout the playoffs. This version of offense needs to take on more "West Coast" less "Coryell". I saw that a few times in the Tennesse game. Cutler was actually selling the delayed handoff and screens pretty well. Which I think is awesome given how teams are now automatically assuming they will get to Cutler each time they blitz. It's as if to say :"Come on in and get Cutler. Problem is Forte already left with the ball moments ago."

Maybe you should be Panthers fan then, With Cutler and his arm. I would like to see more passing, if he has time he can tear a D apart.

I watched the NFL Network replay today. Haven't had to slow things down and see how our Oline did but my initial thoughts are that those guys were much better than anything we've seen last year or this year.

Oline

-------------------------------------------------

It was odd listening the Titans broadcasters (Eddie George in particular) compliment our Oline multiple times. They flat out said they never thought the Bears could run the ball against the Titans Dline.

Again, I felt Carimi was the worst of the 5. He's young and he'll get better so I'm not worried and at times he delivers some great run blocks.

I know they've both been the source of much angst on these pages but I really like how our two athletic guards are shaping up. They are both getting better when they pull they show good quickness adjusting to where the defenders are and/or finding the right guy in the open field to hit.

Chris Williams has quietly been.... good. It's like that old adage, if they aren't talking about the Oline that's a good thing.

JWebb...for the first time that I can recall he actually drove a guy into the ground. He is starting to play with some attitude and the athleticism that Tice has been talking about since last year is starting to show up. I never saw it last year.

It wasn't a perfect game for the Oline but it was pretty good overall.

----------------------------------

For the first time I have seen the Martz offense in a Chicago uniform. Yards were coming in big chunks both runs and passes.

Cutler has really grasped what needs to be done out there. Last year on blitzes he held the ball too long. Much has been made about Martz and the lack of audibles but against the Titans (and against the Giants) when blitzes happened Cutler took the hot read and the WR made the adjustment and was ready. For teams blitzing the Bears this year it will be much more difficult to be successful. This is without game planning!

Sanzenbacher....this kid is very crafty in the way he runs his routes. Coming back to ball on angles that make it difficult for defenders to track, of finds soft spots in the zone. He looks very natural out there and he's making similar reads as Cutler is. I see why Cutler likes throwing to him.

Love him or hate him, Roy Williams will be a big part of our offense. But he won't be the #1 option. This year the ball will be all over the place. Number of receptions leader: Earl Bennett. Receptions yards leader: Hester.

Forte has better lateral quickness and more pop to his cuts. Once he makes his cut he is surprising defenders with how quickly he is on them and arriving with more power. When there's no hole on the stretch plays he's still gaining 2 or 3 yards before they can bring him down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense

----------------------------------------------------

Melton looked much better this week. He and Amobi and going to cause some damage upfront. Big Toe will too.

As is his usual practice, Peppers was not fully engaged in that game, he wasn't fighting off blocks to make plays. He will once the real games begin. With a couple guys inside being able to get penetration this year I expect a big difference in the entire Dline once the lights go on in week one.

We really need Wootton to come back healthy. Gotta have a 3rd guy in the DE rotation.

----------------------------------------------------------

Major Wright ....not yet seeing the instincts. Perhaps he was more conservative in his approach to the game after being burned last week. We need more out of him.