Falcons @ Bears, 9/11/11

balta1701-A

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was a very unfortunate break on that play. Just the way the ball bounces. Earlier Peppers batted a ball and it went straight to the WR. Bad luck is all.

There is still a ton of time on the clock. Over 10 minutes. This is not a time to completely shut down the pass, but the passes should certainly come from run first formations. Play action pass works wonders in this situation. As we can see from this current drive, the Falcons D is loading up on the run.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd Martz is getting clowned by Johnston.

Yes...you're right, 300+ yards passing, nearly 100 rushing, and Martz is the one being clowned. :rolleyes:

This is not pee-wee football; he can't just go 100% run. The Falcons are more than capable of scoring more than two touchdowns in 10 minutes. It's a little too early to let the foot completely off the gas, and the Falcons' DL just happened to make a good play on a fluke blocked pass.

Yes...you're right, 300+ yards passing, nearly 100 rushing, and Martz is the one being clowned. :rolleyes:

This is not pee-wee football; he can't just go 100% run. The Falcons are more than capable of scoring more than two touchdowns in 10 minutes. It's a little too early to let the foot completely off the gas, and the Falcons' DL just happened to make a good play on a fluke blocked pass.

Yeah but its not time to become some circus with triple fake reverses and setting screens up to the right only to throw to the left. Its not rocket science. We are up big, drain the clock.

Yeah but its not time to become some circus with triple fake reverses and setting screens up to the right only to throw to the left. Its not rocket science. We are up big, drain the clock.

I'm certainly not a fan of that wildcat or that gadget play they ran, but I don't like the "we are up big, drain the clock" philosophy when previous to that they were destroying the Falcons D with regular play-calling. Why let off the gas? There is no need. You pour it on by doing the same thing that got you the lead. Step on their necks.

I've noticed a DRASTIC change in performance and aggressiveness since the Bears got the big lead and someone, somewhere (I'm guessing Lovie) decided it was time to hold on to the lead. The play calling looks different, the play is different, and the execution is underwhelming.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Somewhat dislike those 2 holding penalties down the stretch on Webb...but I think he might be in that boat where every mistake he makes now is a mistake he doesn't make later.

Let's hope. As far as I'm concerned, he is the only player on the entire team who didn't have a good to great game. He was pressured often, got beat multiple times, and had penalties.

I'm certainly not a fan of that wildcat or that gadget play they ran, but I don't like the "we are up big, drain the clock" philosophy when previous to that they were destroying the Falcons D with regular play-calling. Why let off the gas? There is no need. You pour it on by doing the same thing that got you the lead. Step on their necks.

I've noticed a DRASTIC change in performance and aggressiveness since the Bears got the big lead and someone, somewhere (I'm guessing Lovie) decided it was time to hold on to the lead. The play calling looks different, the play is different, and the execution is underwhelming.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I will say the Texans were beating the Colts like 28-to-0 in the first half and did very little in the 2nd half.

I'm more concerned about the "strange" play-calling. The "end-around" plays almost never work, yet we loving calling them.

It would have been nice to run up the score a bit more, but I'll take it.

How about Henry Melton??? As usual I listened to Joniak & Thayer while I watched it on TV. With the exception of Cutler, the name I heard more then any other was Henry Melton. Hell, listening to the radio, Peppers was fairly quiet (I'm guessing he was double teamed which opened up lanes for Melton.)

Melton was big, big, big this game.

How about Henry Melton??? As usual I listened to Joniak & Thayer while I watched it on TV. With the exception of Cutler, the name I heard more then any other was Henry Melton. Hell, listening to the radio, Peppers was fairly quiet (I'm guessing he was double teamed which opened up lanes for Melton.)

Melton was big, big, big this game.

Peppers had his moments. Single handedly caused the fumble that 'Lacher returned.

Peppers had his moments. Single handedly caused the fumble that 'Lacher returned.

I didn't mean to dis-credit Peppers in any way shape or form. Peppers was great as always. Peppers did what we expect him to do. He's awesome.

That being said, Henry Melton was in the back-field all day long. He had a tremendous impact on the game. Granted, it's only week one, but he looked all-pro.

I didn't mean to dis-credit Peppers in any way shape or form. Peppers was great as always. Peppers did what we expect him to do. He's awesome.

That being said, Henry Melton was in the back-field all day long. He had a tremendous impact on the game. Granted, it's only week one, but he looked all-pro.

Now stop and think about this for a moment.

The guy lining up across from Melton and the other DT's next week? Olin Kreutz.

Now stop and think about this for a moment.

The guy lining up across from Melton and the other DT's next week? Olin Kreutz.

Here's hoping the Aints keep Kruetz in at least one more week before they realize he just might be washed up lol. I love Kruetz and what he did here but I think his best move would have been to retire he just doesn't have it anymore. The past few years he's gotten progressively worse what he's doing now is just trying to extend a career that he should just walk away from.

Like I said earlier, SOMETHING feels different about this offense right now. They have the Falcons on roller skates. The quick hitter WR screens are working because the prior quick fake. The RB screen works. The blocking is excellent. The PLAY ACTION TO SPAETH is awesome.

Something is different, and I like it.

The Bears completely controlled the game from a physical and intensity standpoint. They have that Chicago Chip on the shoulder swagger and were absolutely relentless! I don't recall seein ghtis killer instinct in quite some time. DL line seems rejuvenated and the most active I can recall since the SB team. I feel the Bears have some unfinished business and it is Superbowl or Bust! I was giddy watching the game and just loving the energy and play making on both sides of the ball. As far as the Olione goes as I was telling a friend: At some point the Bears had to bite the bullett and get younger on the OL. I did not have great expectations but was pleasantly surprised that this unit is further along than they started off last season which is a positive. I love that the Bears actually have some prototypical OL size and were also physical at certain points of the ball game. Need to be more consistency but hope this unit will get better each week.

Another point; Earlier this preseason I was banging on the new kick off rule but my opinion has changed. The Bears will benefit more from the rule change because ST will be able to pin an opponent deep and then allow the DEF to come in and get a 3 and out, ST will then get the ball back to the O with great field position. Great formula that worked against a media darling team in the Falcons.

I also liked how the Bears executed when faced with adversity such as the no TD call on the Hester pass play that was clearly a TD which was followed by the Spaeth TD play action I believe. Past Bear Teams would not have converted the TD after the blown call and would have settled for 3 pts.

Awesome start to the season! I am Highly Optimistic this will be a very enjoyable season!

Forgot to mention, for the most part thought the play calling and execution was very good! Jay seem to be getting rid of the a lot quicker than last year.

Can't wait for when the Bears come to Denver in December!

Anyone who hasn't should really go to the Falcons board. It really puts things in perspective...a real feel-good read. There's even guys on there calling Matt Ryan and average QB game manager. Losses usually hurt, so enjoy the wins.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/forum/45-...r__all__st__390

Here's one comment I liked even though it's positive...

I'm not going to lose faith based on a week 1 loss to the team that won the Packers division last season. I'm not excusing the lack of execution. However, execution can be fixed. We had the talent on the field we need to compete.

Thanks for pointing us in that direction!

Anyone who hasn't should really go to the Falcons board. It really puts things in perspective...a real feel-good read. There's even guys on there calling Matt Ryan and average QB game manager. Losses usually hurt, so enjoy the wins.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/forum/45-...r__all__st__390

Here's one comment I liked even though it's positive...

I'm not going to lose faith based on a week 1 loss to the team that won the Packers division last season. I'm not excusing the lack of execution. However, execution can be fixed. We had the talent on the field we need to compete.