Postgame thoughts

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. If I was Jay Cutler, I would either demand that in the offseason they make a valiant effort to improve the OL or I would demand a trade. He's a human being; how much more of a beating can he take? Meanwhile, they invest $20m/season in him but do nothing to help. They have midgets out there at WR, Kellen Davis can't block, and their OL is trash.

2. Considering the circumstances, I think the defense did fine. The DL didn't get pressure but a lot of Brees' throws were quick ones. If they had more rest, they would've played better.

3. Chris Harris, as anyone today could see, is a key to this defense. The Bears other safeties are dogs***. Extend him and Forte asap.

4. To anyone whoever questioned Cutler's toughness: this one's for you. He got his a** whooped today but he always got back up. Happy now?

The fact that the Bears were playing Cutler will 6 minutes to go in a game where they were getting killed should be a criminal offense.

Pay Forte.

Sanzenbacher cannot drop the crossing pass. The Bears are going to miss Bennett who I fear may be done for the season.

I don't with the Hester starting experiment. He should get 15 to 20 snaps a game period.

Peace :dabears

Major Wright is a major disappointment. We will be better with Chris Harris and Merriweather out there as the starting safeties. It's unnacepatable for the Safeties to allow that 79 yard TD pass to Henderson. You know the only route that guy runs is deep so why are you letting him get behind you? Dumb play there.

If it wasn't for Forte, we wouldn't have even gotten 100 yards of offense. He is and always has been the focal point of our offense. It's time for these Cowboys to start sucking it up a bit and get on the field. We need Williams and Barber to play in these games. They are capable of making a big difference.

There is nothing the Bears can do with this offensive line. They are stuck with what they have thanks to the awesome job our garbage general manager has done with it in the last 2 years. Now, common sense tells you if you are an offensive play caller, to run the ball more and call for shorter quicker routes on offense. Of course, nothing is ever logical with Mike Martz. This offense still doesn't have the weapons to run his Rams offense because we don't have an All Pro offensive line and we don't come close to having an Isac Bruce or a Tory Holt on this team. I think if we had stuck with the run more we could have stayed on the field a little longer which would have kept the Saints offense off the field.

Next week is a must win. GB and Detroit are already off to a great start. The Bears can't afford to go down 1-2.

The wr's are a joke. Despite how bad the blocking was, the receivers cant run routes, get open or catch a pass unless its perfect. Knox and Hester are no better then 3rd wrs. The way they give up on routes is sickening.

Bennett is clearly their best route runner. With him out they are in trouble.

There were many problems today and I totally agree it seems that Martz refused to make any major adjustments at half time. Davis missed a key block at one point that led to a sack, the line itself struggled all day, losing Bennett is going to be huge and without Williams or Barber, who knows how bad this may become. Not sure why it was so much worse this week compared to last week however, to me it would come down to coaching and I am still not convinced we have the right coach. We got lucky as hell last year and were exposed in each of the losses even against the Cheese Heads. Defensively to give up that one big play definitely killed anything and not being able to get a rush up front made things even worse. Brees is a good quarterback and Super Bowl MVP yet we got to Matt Ryan last week and we have Aaron Rodgers coming in next. The season is going to rough it appears and we can only hope for the best.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Saints sent six or more pass rushers on 19 plays and allowed just 13 yards (0.7 yards per play). They sacked Jay Cutler five times in those situations, including a key sack/forced fumble by Turk McBride that helped break the game open.

In all, the Saints sent five or more rushers on 39.6 percent of Chicago’s drop-backs and Cutler completed only 38.5 percent of his passes against the blitz. He also averaged 4.9 yards per attempt.

That’s a striking difference from the season-opening loss at Green Bay, where the Saints sent five or more pass rushers on 29.7 percent of the drop-backs. But the key difference was that Aaron Rodgers completed 80 percent of his passes in those situations and averaged 12.5 yards per attempt.

Ouch

This goes back to not being able to audible out of Mike Martz's offense. It's pointless and makes no sense. Every Quarterback should have total control of the offense when he's on the field, otherwise you are making it even harder on him than it needs to be.

There are a lot more negatives that comes out of a Martz offense than positives if you dont have the elite talent.

i am going to say this every week...we do not have the team to run a Martz offense. Plain and simple, the routes are to loong and take too much time to develop down field. We do not have the offensive line to block long enough to get our WR open. It is very disturbing that we refuse to make an effort to improve the OLine. Carimi was a good draft pick, but they should have been more active in FA and cuts to improve the damn line. The OLine is absolute crap

Guest TerraTor
i am going to say this every week...we do not have the team to run a Martz offense. Plain and simple, the routes are to loong and take too much time to develop down field. We do not have the offensive line to block long enough to get our WR open. It is very disturbing that we refuse to make an effort to improve the OLine. Carimi was a good draft pick, but they should have been more active in FA and cuts to improve the damn line. The OLine is absolute crap

Id like to see what they offered Willie Colon.

Frank Omiyale is yet again a total waste of space

Guest TerraTor
1. If I was Jay Cutler, I would either demand that in the offseason they make a valiant effort to improve the OL or I would demand a trade. He's a human being; how much more of a beating can he take? Meanwhile, they invest $20m/season in him but do nothing to help. They have midgets out there at WR, Kellen Davis can't block, and their OL is trash.

2. Considering the circumstances, I think the defense did fine. The DL didn't get pressure but a lot of Brees' throws were quick ones. If they had more rest, they would've played better.

3. Chris Harris, as anyone today could see, is a key to this defense. The Bears other safeties are dogs***. Extend him and Forte asap.

4. To anyone whoever questioned Cutler's toughness: this one's for you. He got his a** whooped today but he always got back up. Happy now?

1 - Funny, they trade their best WR cuz he can't block... stupid

2 - Major Wright is awful in every aspect.. Like I said he was last resort in draft

3 - See above and yes to extending them both. And roach sucks too

4 - Absolutely

There were many problems today and I totally agree it seems that Martz refused to make any major adjustments at half time. Davis missed a key block at one point that led to a sack, the line itself struggled all day, losing Bennett is going to be huge and without Williams or Barber, who knows how bad this may become. Not sure why it was so much worse this week compared to last week however, to me it would come down to coaching and I am still not convinced we have the right coach. We got lucky as hell last year and were exposed in each of the losses even against the Cheese Heads. Defensively to give up that one big play definitely killed anything and not being able to get a rush up front made things even worse. Brees is a good quarterback and Super Bowl MVP yet we got to Matt Ryan last week and we have Aaron Rodgers coming in next. The season is going to rough it appears and we can only hope for the best.

I hate when anyone says we were lucky last year. I think it detracts from how well they played. They played damn well last year after the break and almost came back in the playoffs with their 3rd string qb.

1. Seriously. And get him a real freaking target while they're at it... Our WR's are not good enough to go the distance.

2. Agreed. The played good enough if the O didn't stink up the joint barring the one huge long play that was pretty much a back breaker.

3. I fully agree. If we let Harris and Forte walk, citizens of Chicago should storm the front office demanding blood...

4. I even heard the tool on Fox, Joe *uckhimself, giving him props... Where's Artie Lange when you need him?

Damn straight on all counts...

The fact that the Bears were playing Cutler will 6 minutes to go in a game where they were getting killed should be a criminal offense.

Pay Forte.

Sanzenbacher cannot drop the crossing pass. The Bears are going to miss Bennett who I fear may be done for the season.

I don't with the Hester starting experiment. He should get 15 to 20 snaps a game period.

I've been screaming that for what seems like years now...

Our WR's are average at best.

The wr's are a joke. Despite how bad the blocking was, the receivers cant run routes, get open or catch a pass unless its perfect. Knox and Hester are no better then 3rd wrs. The way they give up on routes is sickening.

If we didn't have Roy Williams I would have said go get Terrell Owens. I don't care what people say, the guy is still in perfect physical shape and is still one of the better route runners in this league. I'm almost tempted to say we still should sign him but Dallas already tried this experiment a few seasons ago when Owens was a couple years younger and it didn't work out..

And then there is Randy Moss. I think Owens is the better player between the two at this point but is there anybody out there that would take a flier on Randy Moss if he decided to un-retire? I'm not saying I would, just throwing that question out there so we can talk about something other than our garbage offensive line and our lack of really good WR's.

It definitely doesn't help that we run Martz's offense because there is always the question of "How long is it going to take a new WR to learn the playbook?" I'm about 99% sure that we won't be signing any additional FA's this year at WR but it is so painful having to watch Knox and Hester fail time and time again. Knox is at best a #4 receiver on a good team. He's not durable or reliable enough to play the #3 slot position and he's not good enough to be out there on the outside starting unless there is an All Pro lining up next to him as the #1.

My thoughts on yesterday:

1. O-Line: This is simple. THEY SUCK. If I had it my way, I would have had them sitting in for the Russian Hockey Team. Yeah, I know, too soon, but they just televised a massacre in New Orleans and a public flogging of Jay Cutler. And for those who will get all butt-hurt because my comments, no need to worry, everyone on board would survive. BECAUSE THE OLINE COULDN'T BLOCK THE AISLES OR DOORS EITHER!!!! This group is useless as tits on a fish and it brings me to a thought...How f'n long are we going to let Tice go with this? We bust every coaches' stones when it comes to shitty play, yet, unless I missed it, Tice has gotten a pass. Webb, Omiyale...HORRENDOUS!!! Even my wife says, "Why does the New Orleans QB have so much time to throw and Cutler keeps getting hit?" Guess what, SHE NOT EVEN A FRIGGIN' COACH AND CAN SEE THAT, MR. TICE!!!!!

2. CUTLER: Still put up decent numbers considering no WR play or O-Line help. Fumble wasn't his fault. Can't complete passes to good receivers when you're on your back and you damn sure can't complete them to shitty receivers when you're scrambling before you hit you 3-5 step drops.

3. FORTE: Amazing!!! Thank God for Forte. Running game wasn't there but what do you expect with the "stellar" OLine play. Saved us probably 7 more sacks with his check downs.

4. WR: Hester, Knox, Hurd are not decent enough receivers to be the 1-2, not decent enough to be the 3rd option either. Sanzenbacher played good, but compared to the other 3, he had a great game.

5. DLine: No pressure on Brees all day. Made some old decrepid center look like a Pro-Bowler.

6. LB's: Decent play, thought Urlacher would have had a bigger game, but the held their own. Briggs seemed in on many tackles and Url lit Olin's ass up on a play.

7. DB's: Tillman great strip and recovery. Major Wright is wrong. He is not what we need. He does the same thing Manning did when he was back there: out of position, let up a big play, let up the big score...Big hits do not equal points.

8. Oh before I forget...we dumped Olsen because he didn't fit the scheme and couldn't block. Now our option is Davis, who is no more than a turnstyle.

Yesterday can be summed up in one word....Disgraceful!!!!

I've been screaming that for what seems like years now...

Our WR's are average at best.

And I've been saying for longer that it's awfully difficult to really see what the Bears have at WR when the QB only gets to plant his backfoot about 5 times a game. I'm certainly not convinced the WRs are all-pro, but it's damn near impossible to know what they could do until the OL gives Cutler some time.

No argument there. Water is still wet. Our O line still hasn't really been addressed properly...

JA refuses to do much about either area. He needs to go.

And I've been saying for longer that it's awfully difficult to really see what the Bears have at WR when the QB only gets to plant his backfoot about 5 times a game. I'm certainly not convinced the WRs are all-pro, but it's damn near impossible to know what they could do until the OL gives Cutler some time.

I still will defend the roster construction some, but I have to look at playcalling here.

This is just an inexcusable stat.

In the end, the Bears had 12 rushing attempts, tying for the second-fewest in franchise history, accomplished four times previously. The most recent? Remember the ugly 41-21 home loss to Arizona in 2009? The Bears had 12 rushes that game and three weeks later they had only 11 in a 36-10 loss at Minnesota. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner was fired five weeks later.

Martz came close to 11 last season. Twice, the Bears rushed the ball only 14 times in 2010. Twice, they only 16 times.

Martz ran less than he did in the worst of the worst games for his Kutler-cilling efforts last year.