Playoffs?

madlithuanian

no, i think we are done. No need in rushing Cutler back or Forte for that matter. We should really think about getting a vet back up for next season as i dont think Hanie is the answer.

"Vet backups" aren't always the solution, especially if you're in competition with teams who are seeking the same guys as starters. If you can steal a guy like Orton at a good price, go ahead, but it's also worth looking to address that spot in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft if you can find someone you like. That also has the possible benefit of giving you a valuable trade chip in 2-3 years if the guy develops well (which of course also means keeping him in the same system for a while).

I tell ya, again the similarities to last year... In reverse. Didnt GB come to Chicago late last year, win in

Chicago and because the Bears didn't play them tough (or rested) the Pack was able to get into the playoffs as the last seed? Again, eerie coincidence.

At this point I say try either McCown (surely he's got some idea on the offense by now) or give Enderle a try. I'm beginning to think that Hanie won't pan out... Actually I'm past that point now. But if the Bears can get a win on Seattle then see how Cutler is doing. I hear he is throwing now. I would not encourage him playing if both the Bears lose this week and the docs advise against it.

And as far as after the season, id say make a play for Orton as #2. Pretty sure he wants to come back and we know he'd be good in his role. Would make for a more solidified depth chart at QB.

Something tells me the Packers staff will handle the situation better! :P

We need to make a play for Orton. Sadly, it's 2 years in a row Cutty's been KO'ed for some reason. We need someone capable back there to play smart and easy football. Orton I think is easily that guy. I think McNabb could have been.

I tell ya, again the similarities to last year... In reverse. Didnt GB come to Chicago late last year, win in

Chicago and because the Bears didn't play them tough (or rested) the Pack was able to get into the playoffs as the last seed? Again, eerie coincidence.

At this point I say try either McCown (surely he's got some idea on the offense by now) or give Enderle a try. I'm beginning to think that Hanie won't pan out... Actually I'm past that point now. But if the Bears can get a win on Seattle then see how Cutler is doing. I hear he is throwing now. I would not encourage him playing if both the Bears lose this week and the docs advise against it.

And as far as after the season, id say make a play for Orton as #2. Pretty sure he wants to come back and we know he'd be good in his role. Would make for a more solidified depth chart at QB.

The fact that McNabb can't even hang on in front of Ponder and can't get anyone in the league interested in him any more should tell you everything you need to know about him.

Agreed. We are now suffering what Martz told us last year about Hanie. He is not an NFL QB.

It's not apples and apples. Ponder is their future. So it makes sense to throw him in. McNabb isn't the answer long term. But he didn't make that many blunders as Hanie has... Some experience and savvy has to be worth something. Hindsight is 20/20, but I believe if we would have signed him right after Oakland, we would have beat KC and DEN. I could be wrong, I was about Hanie. I thought he would be better. As wrong as martz was on Todd Collins, he right about Hanie.

The fact that McNabb can't even hang on in front of Ponder and can't get anyone in the league interested in him any more should tell you everything you need to know about him.

It's not apples and apples. Ponder is their future. So it makes sense to throw him in. McNabb isn't the answer long term. But he didn't make that many blunders as Hanie has... Some experience and savvy has to be worth something. Hindsight is 20/20, but I believe if we would have signed him right after Oakland, we would have beat KC and DEN. I could be wrong, I was about Hanie. I thought he would be better. As wrong as martz was on Todd Collins, he right about Hanie.

I believe he was not cut until the Friday after the Oakland game. He would not have played against KC if we had signed him as I don't think any head coach would have signed him. He may have played this week but I doubt it. I think the first week we would have seen him is this week agains Seattle.

Peace :dabears

"Vet backups" aren't always the solution, especially if you're in competition with teams who are seeking the same guys as starters. If you can steal a guy like Orton at a good price, go ahead, but it's also worth looking to address that spot in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft if you can find someone you like. That also has the possible benefit of giving you a valuable trade chip in 2-3 years if the guy develops well (which of course also means keeping him in the same system for a while).

we have too many needs to be wasting 3rd or 4th round draft picks on back up QBs.

we have too many needs to be wasting 3rd or 4th round draft picks on back up QBs.

"Backup QB" is one of their needs.

I look for starters in the first or second round, I look for depth in 3-5. QB is a position where the Bears need depth. If they can find a guy they like on the FA market, I have no complaints about filling the position that way, but similarly, there are needs that the FA money can be spent on as well.

The fact that the league was not remotely interested initially in Kurt Warner should tell you all you need to know about the league's hit percentage regarding evaluations.

We have to win the next game first before Cutler's return is even relevant. I'm sure the Bears won't throw him out there if we lose next week against Seattle which pretty much eliminates any playoff hope that we might have had. We also need the Lions and Falcons to lose. GB will rest their starters once they secure the game next week against the Chiefs. I don't see them playing Aaron Rodgers much if at all in the last two games once they rap up homefield throughout the playoffs. It sounds like Cutler might be able to come back on Christmas if push came to shove and we still had a shot at the postseason. He's been throwing the football for about a week already so now it's about building his strength in that thumb to get him out there. I think the Bears are hopeful he might be able to give it a go on Xmas night or at the very least the Minnesota game.

I think you're probably right...Although didn't Palmer start super fast after getting acquired by Oakland? It just seems like something could have been done...if only to solidify Hanie better than McCown...

I believe he was not cut until the Friday after the Oakland game. He would not have played against KC if we had signed him as I don't think any head coach would have signed him. He may have played this week but I doubt it. I think the first week we would have seen him is this week agains Seattle.

Peace :dabears

I just don't think we need to draft a back-up... We need a vet. There has to be something out there we could get.

"Backup QB" is one of their needs.

I look for starters in the first or second round, I look for depth in 3-5. QB is a position where the Bears need depth. If they can find a guy they like on the FA market, I have no complaints about filling the position that way, but similarly, there are needs that the FA money can be spent on as well.

We're practically in the playoffs right now. This week is simply do or die...

We have to win the next game first before Cutler's return is even relevant. I'm sure the Bears won't throw him out there if we lose next week against Seattle which pretty much eliminates any playoff hope that we might have had. We also need the Lions and Falcons to lose. GB will rest their starters once they secure the game next week against the Chiefs. I don't see them playing Aaron Rodgers much if at all in the last two games once they rap up homefield throughout the playoffs. It sounds like Cutler might be able to come back on Christmas if push came to shove and we still had a shot at the postseason. He's been throwing the football for about a week already so now it's about building his strength in that thumb to get him out there. I think the Bears are hopeful he might be able to give it a go on Xmas night or at the very least the Minnesota game.

We're practically in the playoffs right now. This week is simply do or die...

It is, but we are still on the outside looking in where the two teams ahead of us have a very favorable schedule. It'll be interesting to see how the Chargers and Lions game turns out, but their last game against the Packers is probably a win for them since GB would have no reason anymore to play their starters. If we lose Sunday then none of it will matter anyways but we are obviously going to need some help to get in now.