Barber can go

Connorbear

Bell is showing signs of a decent 'Darren Sproles' like player, but he cannot replace Barber. Barber is the crucial 1 / 2 yard RB to get us that first down, and he's done a great job of it. As shown all season, when it didn't come down to him being the 'featured back', he fulfilled his role quite nicely. Bell had a couple nice games, but so did Aromashadou when he was on the Bears. I wouldn't rule out Barber just yet.

Bell needs to protect the football better but other than that he looks to have a very promising career. He would be a very nice change of pace back to Forte next year. In fact, I'm really having a hard time figuring out what it is that he's not as good or better than Matt Forte at. Neither is very good at pass protection although Bell is probably worse, but I've seen some really good things from Bell as a pass catcher and he's definitely faster and quicker than Forte is, while displaying excellent vision at the LOS. He knows how to set himself up to create a hole. But then again, RB is easily the most replaceable position to replace in football unless you are one of the select few that were legends like the Barry Sanders, Walter Paytons, Jim Brown's etc..

Bell needs to protect the football better but other than that he looks to have a very promising career. He would be a very nice change of pace back to Forte next year. In fact, I'm really having a hard time figuring out what it is that he's not as good or better than Matt Forte at. Neither is very good at pass protection although Bell is probably worse, but I've seen some really good things from Bell as a pass catcher and he's definitely faster and quicker than Forte is, while displaying excellent vision at the LOS. He knows how to set himself up to create a hole. But then again, RB is easily the most replaceable position to replace in football unless you are one of the select few that were legends like the Barry Sanders, Walter Paytons, Jim Brown's etc..

Good assessment.

Bell also has to prove he can stay healthy, which, it's hard to assess that right now since he's not gotten consistent carries in his career. At UCLA, he got hurt too much. But, if he can prove he can stay on the field as a #2 RB in the NFL, they have to keep him.

Did anyone hear Lovie postgame yesterday? I'm paraphrasing, but it sounded like: "We like him. He's a good football player. His first carry at Soldier Field was a memorable one." SO WHY THE F*** WAS HE NOT ON THE FIELD FOR THE MOST PART SINCE THEN, DIPS***?

I like how Bell runs but he had two fumbles, one at a very critical scoring opportunity. If the rest of the team hadn't played so poorly that would be a major topic of discussion. He carries the ball away from his body while running through traffic. Once teams get tape on that the ball will be on the ground all the time. If he hasn't figured out how to stop doing that by now I'm not sure he will ever get it and there's no way I'd count on him to be a steady contributor until he fixes it. I'm sure the coaches will be all over it so we'll see what happens in the next game.

I still like Barber. He is the true definition of Bears football (bruiser style). Although he did mess up in Denver, not sure that its enough for him to be cut. Conversely, neither is it reason to renew his contract just yet. (He is on a two year deal right?)

I still think Bell is very similar to Forte in many aspects. They have similar builds and running styles (upright). Bell has the edge to quickness in the holes and more drive upon initial contact. Forte is more elusive with quick cuts and the ability to catch out of the backfield...of course he is a #1 RB too right?

FWIW, I think the current depth is adequate. I wouldn't think the team should necessarily go out of its way to address it through the draft. If someone comes available via FA...maybe. If anything in the RB world needs addressing its Forte's contract. And with the production, where he is at in life, and his necessity to the team...I say long term.

I still like Barber. He is the true definition of Bears football (bruiser style). Although he did mess up in Denver, not sure that its enough for him to be cut. Conversely, neither is it reason to renew his contract just yet. (He is on a two year deal right?)

I still think Bell is very similar to Forte in many aspects. They have similar builds and running styles (upright). Bell has the edge to quickness in the holes and more drive upon initial contact. Forte is more elusive with quick cuts and the ability to catch out of the backfield...of course he is a #1 RB too right?

FWIW, I think the current depth is adequate. I wouldn't think the team should necessarily go out of its way to address it through the draft. If someone comes available via FA...maybe. If anything in the RB world needs addressing its Forte's contract. And with the production, where he is at in life, and his necessity to the team...I say long term.

If the Bears can hold onto Bell, that more than covers the RB depth for next year.