Continuity or bust!

ASHKUM BEAR

I know this won't be a popular thought, but I would rather see the Bears bring back Martz as OC than to put Cutler and the offense through another learning curve. I see no reason to install another offense when Lovie only has 2 years left on contract. We have an good defense & special teams, but a defecient offense. No matter what/who's system we run, it will always be defecient unless we invest more into it (and many have said this even back in the Grossman/Benson days)

Martz's offense can actually be the missing piece to improve Lovies D if we can just get the right personal in it. Lovies D is made to excel when playing with a lead, which he mentions 17pts alot. Martz had an explosive offense in STL that helped out Lovie, but he is short the tools to work with here. So re-sign Martz, put him and Cutler in the FA/Draft room and bring in whatever it takes to make this offense a top 5 group. Let them grab a OLT with the first pick, WR with the second, and a Center with a 3rd. Go into FA and grab a Marques Colston or Reggie Wayne and a Carl Nicks if necessary. Use some later round picks to fill in defensive needs and well take our 3rd place schedule next year all the way to the Superbowl.

I know this won't be a popular thought, but I would rather see the Bears bring back Martz as OC than to put Cutler and the offense through another learning curve. I see no reason to install another offense when Lovie only has 2 years left on contract. We have an good defense & special teams, but a defecient offense. No matter what/who's system we run, it will always be defecient unless we invest more into it (and many have said this even back in the Grossman/Benson days)

Martz's offense can actually be the missing piece to improve Lovies D if we can just get the right personal in it. Lovies D is made to excel when playing with a lead, which he mentions 17pts alot. Martz had an explosive offense in STL that helped out Lovie, but he is short the tools to work with here. So re-sign Martz, put him and Cutler in the FA/Draft room and bring in whatever it takes to make this offense a top 5 group. Let them grab a OLT with the first pick, WR with the second, and a Center with a 3rd. Go into FA and grab a Marques Colston or Reggie Wayne and a Carl Nicks if necessary. Use some later round picks to fill in defensive needs and well take our 3rd place schedule next year all the way to the Superbowl.

No,

Martz has already been given input into FA decisions which brought us Manuelua (sp?), Roy Williams, and Todd Collins.

Think about what you wrote " Martz had an explosive offense in STL". How many years ago was that?

The sooner we can cut ties to this guy the better.

Obviously, I like this idea.

Martz won't be back on account the Bears won't offer him the pay raise he thinks he deserves. He was not very happy when they gave Tice a raise last year and not him. I would be absolutely shocked if Martz was the OC next season.

I can't fathom anyone giving Martz significantly more money next year than this team, can you?

Ya Martz was a great offensive mind when he had a HOF QB, RB, LT and 2 of the best WRs in the NFL at the time. Its ridiculous to even consider that when rating how he will do as the Bears OC. He hasnt been as bad as I thought hed be but when the biggest reason to keep an OC is so your QB doesnt have to learn a new system then it doesnt say much about him.

Guest TerraTor
Ya Martz was a great offensive mind when he had a HOF QB, RB, LT and 2 of the best WRs in the NFL at the time. Its ridiculous to even consider that when rating how he will do as the Bears OC. He hasnt been as bad as I thought hed be but when the biggest reason to keep an OC is so your QB doesnt have to learn a new system then it doesnt say much about him.

Pinpointed.... This team lacks anything near a staring NFL WR. Until Free Agency and the draft, I could care less what OC we have cuz there are no weapons outside Matty.

Martz won't be back on account the Bears won't offer him the pay raise he thinks he deserves. He was not very happy when they gave Tice a raise last year and not him. I would be absolutely shocked if Martz was the OC next season.

Prepare to be shocked. The coaching staff (and Angelo) are one season from lame duck status. That would make it really hard to lure anyone of any quality. We've been down that road before when we ended up with Shoop.

So, while I'm not really impressed with Martz, the combo of probably having trouble replacing him and the benefit of continuity makes me think bringing him back makes sense.

Prepare to be shocked. The coaching staff (and Angelo) are one season from lame duck status. That would make it really hard to lure anyone of any quality. We've been down that road before when we ended up with Shoop.

So, while I'm not really impressed with Martz, the combo of probably having trouble replacing him and the benefit of continuity makes me think bringing him back makes sense.

That's also why and how we ended up with Martz. If we keep Martz, who will the scapegoat be? There's always been one for Lovie. The fact we keep ending up in the situation is just that more telling of how incompetent we are from Teddy on down. Anyway, It's easy to replace Martz. He's already on staff. Tice. To keep continuity is one thing, to repeat the insanity is another. Also, If we are revamping the recievers, it'll be more important for them to have an easier system to learn. From what I've seen of Cutler, he'll be fine.

If we want to ensure true continuity of greater value, we promote Toub to asst head coach and give him a fat raise that ends when Lovie does. Then we interview him as HC... B)

I'm for the continuity group. Without Cutler getting hurt we would have been in the payoffs. The O was beginning to work with the system.